Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dias posted:

This episode of SH2: people freak out like poo poo when Pat keeps examining the knife and the photo.

I like how nonchalant he was about it too.

I don't get it. What's the significance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

cmykjester posted:

I don't get it. What's the significance?

It effects the ending.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tae posted:

What is with Pat and saying "excuse me" constantly to the undead?

Are you talking about The Evil Within LP or is he still doing it in one of the new ones? I'm a little behind lately.

In any case Pat seems to get these weird verbal tics occasionally. Like perfect, drop your shield and see what I mean? in the Dark Souls 2 LP to the point that there have been at least two video compilations of it. I'm not sure how excuse me got started though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
That one thing Matt said in the Dying Light video about "Oblivion was the first game where you level up skills by using them" made me die inside.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's almost like he's never played Final Fantasy 2, best final fantasy game.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

SunAndSpring posted:

That one thing Matt said in the Dying Light video about "Oblivion was the first game where you level up skills by using them" made me die inside.

You meant, "Pat"?

Cuz I didn't say that. I couldn't know less about Oblivion.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheRealestMatt posted:

You meant, "Pat"?

All Canadians look the same. :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

All Canadians look the same. :shrug:

Woolie, Liam, Matt or Pat? The answer may surprise you!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's all four of them... at once.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RareAcumen posted:

Woolie, Liam, Matt or Pat? The answer may surprise you!

The smile gives it up, it's not a Canadian, it's James Small.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TheRealestMatt posted:

You meant, "Pat"?

My bad, Matt :(.

Still, I thought Pat played poo poo like Final Fantasy 2 and SaGa. Hell, Oblivion isn't even the first in The Elder Scrolls series to use that kind of advancement.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pat barely plays JRPGs and he sure as hell barely has played any of the FFs and not Saga.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Dias posted:

This episode of SH2: people freak out like poo poo when Pat keeps examining the knife and the photo.

I like how nonchalant he was about it too.

There's moments, there's loving moments like these, when's Pat's a goddamn mastermind.

On an unrelated note, Joel from Vinesauce just recently introduced me to Duwang subs for Jojo. Now, I've never seen or cared about Jojo ever before, but thanks to those amazingly awful subs, I want to watch more legit Jojo. Since the zaibatsu are huge fans of the Jojos, I recommend they watch at least the first 3 episodes of Duwang. I also really want there to be a collab between Vinny and the Zaibatsu, since Pat apparently adores Ralph Bluetawn.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I don't get the big shock about how (SH2 spoilers) he keeps examining the knife and picture. He says in the latest part that he's going for one of the three "pure" endings. So, by looking at the picture a lot, and chugging health drinks like they're going out of style, he's shooting for the Leave ending.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea he was super clear about the ending situation in video one and straight up said he was going to shoot for a specific ending in the 'actual' endings category.

I am happy he's going to find some way to splice the dog ending in, though, that ending loving rules.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

SunAndSpring posted:

My bad, Matt :(.

Still, I thought Pat played poo poo like Final Fantasy 2 and SaGa. Hell, Oblivion isn't even the first in The Elder Scrolls series to use that kind of advancement.

If you haven't already noticed, if Pat thinks he knows something he's always super sure of himself about it. So if he thinks Oblivion was the first game to do it, than as far as he's concerned it is dammit and he'll tell you all about it in detail. Which is why you'll also notice he has to correct himself a lot when stuff comes up in the comments. :xd:

I'm sure sometimes it might be to deliberately annoy people too.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

pulp rag posted:

There's moments, there's loving moments like these, when's Pat's a goddamn mastermind.

On an unrelated note, Joel from Vinesauce just recently introduced me to Duwang subs for Jojo. Now, I've never seen or cared about Jojo ever before, but thanks to those amazingly awful subs, I want to watch more legit Jojo. Since the zaibatsu are huge fans of the Jojos, I recommend they watch at least the first 3 episodes of Duwang. I also really want there to be a collab between Vinny and the Zaibatsu, since Pat apparently adores Ralph Bluetawn.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

TheRealestMatt posted:

You meant, "Pat"?

matt please tower over pat and call him a stupido for me. make sure to be extra menacing :)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Beef Waifu posted:

Pat barely plays JRPGs and he sure as hell barely has played any of the FFs and not Saga.

Barely, as in playing the entirety of the Shin Megami series and sub-sets

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I first discovered them because someone linked me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8HOWTja_s because I read homestuck, then I went and found their actual videos and just... followed them since then.
Anyway, really liking SMRPG so far.
I'll probably like it more when they figure out there's a run button, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Barely, as in playing the entirety of the Shin Megami series and sub-sets

I hope you realize there are far more Megaten games than P3, P4, SMTIV, and maybe the two other Megaten games he's mentioned looking at in podcasts. So no, he has not played the entirety of them or their subsets for that matter because there are more spinoffs to Megaten than Persona. Hell, he has Persona Q and still hasn't even played that and it's from a series he's played two games in and is somewhat familiar with.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

KaosMachina posted:

I first discovered them because someone linked me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8HOWTja_s because I read homestuck, then I went and found their actual videos and just... followed them since then.
Anyway, really liking SMRPG so far.
I'll probably like it more when they figure out there's a run button, though.

I think I too might have also started watching because of that video. Not 100% sure anymore, though. It definitely was what first made me aware of SPBFP (still just TBPF at the time) though, only to start being a dedicated viewer later.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I appreciate the two guys freaking the hell out during Geno's introduction.

I think this might be my favorite playthrough going on right now because of the excitement in every video. (Also I really want that TTYD playthrough now)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I hope you realize there are far more Megaten games than P3, P4, SMTIV, and maybe the two other Megaten games he's mentioned looking at in podcasts. So no, he has not played the entirety of them or their subsets for that matter because there are more spinoffs to Megaten than Persona. Hell, he has Persona Q and still hasn't even played that and it's from a series he's played two games in and is somewhat familiar with.

Every day he does not play Digital Devil Saga will be a day he regrets.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.
Really loving Pat's total lack of faith as Liam tore up the tadpole minigame in the newest SMRPG video.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I don't get the big shock about how (SH2 spoilers) he keeps examining the knife and picture. He says in the latest part that he's going for one of the three "pure" endings. So, by looking at the picture a lot, and chugging health drinks like they're going out of style, he's shooting for the Leave ending.

It's around the hospital level that the ending requirements come up. Health and the photo are one part of it, but most of the "In Water" requirements favor exploration, so I'm not so sure that healing often and checking out the photo will be enough for the "Leave" ending.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Season of the Samurai is my favorite song in NMH

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers
I've already beaten Silent Hill 2, but I'm really loving the playthrough because of how relaxing it feels plus their apparent respect for the game. A detail I really appreciate so far, is that they are being silent during cutscenes. It's definitely helping so that people experiencing the game for the first time can really take in the atmosphere.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

theCalamity posted:

Season of the Samurai is my favorite song in NMH

It might be my favorite as well!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is it just me or is the new episode of NMH extremely loud?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It didn't sound particularly loud to me, but I also don't remember how loud the other episodes were. It could go either way.

Also, I kind of hate the interpretation of the female bosses that Matt mentioned in the video because it just makes me feel really skeevy, but I also can't offer an alternate interpretation until we actually have another boss that's a lady so I don't spoil anything. It's annoying.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey Matt, would it be possible to ask Liam if he'd like a whole bunch of Touhou music, I've been putting out collections of "the good poo poo" from this one megatorrent of nearly 27,000 Touhou remix MP3s that's been around for a while, and I think it was him(or was it Woolie?) who said that he really likes the music?

Basically I've cherrypicked a bit over 2,600 MP3s out of about 12,000 files so far(going to be releasing the 25th bundle of MP3s soon) and if he'd like, I can give you a link to'em for him. I think I remember he said he doesn't use twitter much, or else I'd link it there.

A sampler of the sorts of things included:

Desire
Boku No Konote Kimi No Sonote
For Lovers, Not Fighters
彩音 ~xi-on~ - 霊知の太陽信仰 ~ Nuclear Fusion
Emotional Skyscraper - World's End
Touhou Disco - Nuclear Fusion

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey Matt, would it be possible to ask Liam if he'd like a whole bunch of Touhou music, I've been putting out collections of "the good poo poo" from this one megatorrent of nearly 27,000 Touhou remix MP3s that's been around for a while, and I think it was him(or was it Woolie?) who said that he really likes the music?

Basically I've cherrypicked a bit over 2,600 MP3s out of about 12,000 files so far(going to be releasing the 25th bundle of MP3s soon) and if he'd like, I can give you a link to'em for him. I think I remember he said he doesn't use twitter much, or else I'd link it there.

A sampler of the sorts of things included:

Desire
Boku No Konote Kimi No Sonote
For Lovers, Not Fighters
彩音 ~xi-on~ - 霊知の太陽信仰 ~ Nuclear Fusion
Emotional Skyscraper - World's End
Touhou Disco - Nuclear Fusion

You may want to try Twitter. Looking at Liam's feed, his tweets are 95% him responding to stuff people tell him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Huh, I could've sworn he said he doesn't use it much, I'll give that a try then.

edit: for anyone else who'd like it, here's a link: https://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=575194

Once I put out the 24th collection publicly, it'll have over 204 hours of music of all kinds. And I'm not even halfway through the megatorrent yet.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 19, 2015

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It starts out sounding super loud, and then I find myself dragging the volume slider back up as I go along in order to hear the in game dialog.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It didn't sound particularly loud to me, but I also don't remember how loud the other episodes were. It could go either way.

Also, I kind of hate the interpretation of the female bosses that Matt mentioned in the video because it just makes me feel really skeevy, but I also can't offer an alternate interpretation until we actually have another boss that's a lady so I don't spoil anything. It's annoying.

It's a theory I've heard multiple times for years now, and some of the in-game dialog REALLY points towards it. I mean, one of the main game mechanics in NMH is jerking off a sword, and messages on Travis' answering machine really hammers home the fact that he's sexually inexperienced. That being said, this game is made in Japan, and their culture and views on sexuality are way different than ours. You don't have to approve of it, but with all the evidence, I think it's fairly clear. All of Suda's games have a high degree of sexuality in some form anyway.

That being said, Silent Hill 2 has alot of sexual allusions as well, and it seems from Pat's explanations, almost every enemy in the game is some sorta reflection of James' sexual frustrations/thoughts.

Edit: I honestly don't know what to say about the audio in the latest NMH part. I edited almost all the episodes in giant chunks, and I don't remember doing/trying anything different for the Shinobu episode. Sorry guys :(

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 19, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheRealestMatt posted:

That being said, Silent Hill 2 has alot of sexual allusions as well, and it seems from Pat's explanations, almost every enemy in the game is some sorta reflection of James' sexual frustrations/thoughts.

Pretty much. Like, Ito's love of crossing over horror and sex is well-known, but it reached it's zenith at SH2, because there was a storyline reason for it, with James' sexual frustration based on his late wife's illness.

SH3 is the same way, but with the majority of the monster designs being somehow related to reproduction, birth and motherhood.

Plus it's an easy way to make something already horrible even more repulsive. See: Xenomorphs.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 19, 2015

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

TheRealestMatt posted:

It's a theory I've heard multiple times for years now, and some of the in-game dialog REALLY points towards it. I mean, one of the main game mechanics in NMH is jerking off a sword, and messages on Travis' answering machine really hammers home the fact that he's sexually inexperienced. That being said, this game is made in Japan, and their culture and views on sexuality are way different than ours. You don't have to approve of it, but with all the evidence, I think it's fairly clear. All of Suda's games have a high degree of sexuality in some form anyway.

Edit: I honestly don't know what to say about the audio in the latest NMH part. I edited almost all the episodes in giant chunks, and I don't remember doing/trying anything different for the Shinobu episode. Sorry guys :(

Here's my main problem with it: you're making it sound like No More Heroes' story is about sex. It's not, it's about Travis being a manchild and his sexual immaturity is just part of his general immaturity. Sexual imagery is a big part of the game, but saying "these boss fights are about sex" just undersells the whole thing.

I don't think we're really even disagreeing on what the game's about. I just don't like how you're presenting it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is this the most active LPs at once, because it really feels like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Tae posted:

Is this the most active LPs at once, because it really feels like it.

The LP train haven't brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHY5ZBSHzyw