Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Bhodi posted:

It was spray-painted black so uh, I guess calling the police immediately was a legitimate response if you squint really hard?

Yeah makes a little more sense at that point... I could see a half-blind idiot not wearing their glasses who's seen to many "see something say something" billboards (presumably while they WERE wearing their glasses) whipping out their phone. Now that I think of it, if I was a teerist I guess the smart thing to do would be to paint my AK all orange and yellow, and maybe tape a water tank to the top of it or something, or at least paint the last CM of the barrel orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

JosephSkunk posted:

Yeah makes a little more sense at that point... I could see a half-blind idiot not wearing their glasses who's seen to many "see something say something" billboards (presumably while they WERE wearing their glasses) whipping out their phone. Now that I think of it, if I was a teerist I guess the smart thing to do would be to paint my AK all orange and yellow, and maybe tape a water tank to the top of it or something, or at least paint the last CM of the barrel orange.

That's actually a thing that people do, nowadays, so police have been cracking down on fake guns as well. If you can't determine whether or not it's real anymore, better safe than sorry, I guess.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I looked through some Amazon listings to see how you could possibly confuse a comically large Nerf gun with something real but I guess if someone I don't know brings in this kind of thing, spray-painted black, I'd be pretty concerned too:

At the very least, from a distance, I can totally see how you'd think it was real. Then again we have some locations with bullet-proof glass, have been fire-bombed, shot at etc in the past so maybe my reaction is atypical.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sirotan posted:

I looked through some Amazon listings to see how you could possibly confuse a comically large Nerf gun with something real but I guess if someone I don't know brings in this kind of thing, spray-painted black, I'd be pretty concerned too:

At the very least, from a distance, I can totally see how you'd think it was real. Then again we have some locations with bullet-proof glass, have been fire-bombed, shot at etc in the past so maybe my reaction is atypical.

The most realistic view is that nobody really thought it was a weapon but decided to be jerks about it because they have nothing else better to do. Security can be a really boring job ya know.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Sickening posted:

The most realistic view is that nobody really thought it was a weapon but decided to be jerks about it because they have nothing else better to do they would rather ruin someone's fun than risk being the guy that didn't report a stranger with a firearm, who later killed people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What kind of contractor brings a nerf gun?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

THE BEST KIND.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

OwlFancier posted:

a clown

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

An unemployed one.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

honk honk

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

More seriously:

That image has been around a while, but more assholes have done similar things since.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I submitted a ticket!

The software is used by one of our departments to manage a certain kind of customer and generate reports etc. In all, it's an ambitious piece of software and I do have to give credit for how much it actually can do. That said, their support department isn't great.

The problem today was that on one specific workstation, reports couldn't print. I couldn't even get it to generate a print preview. Two previous shifts have been working on this computer.

Printing and previews works on my own desktop with IE11 and Adobe Reader XI, current Java etc. with no problems.

I called tech support and the technician remotes in and runs through some basic steps, verifies that the popup blocker is off etc. He eventually decides that Adobe Reader 11 is the problem. He uninstalls and puts on 10, no change. He pokes around a little bit more and decides that IE 11 is the problem and that we need to get IE9. He can't figure out how to downgrade to 9 and eventually gives up.

He concludes that the problem is that only IE 8 and 9 are supported and that I'll need to talk to my IT department to get IE9. I try to explain that this isn't a good solution and that the browser isn't the issue but he won't relent. Eventually I decide that I'll just reimage the machine from a working one and end the call and terminate the remote connection.

About 20 minutes later, I'm talking to a coworker about the issue and he tells me he has some dos commands that might help me revert to IE9.
I remote into the PC, attempt to paste the script but instead I somehow pasted what had been on the technician's clipboard.

quote:

Contact First Name: xxxxxxxxx
Contact Last Name: xxxxxxxxx

Phone Number that shows on the phone: xxxxxxxxx
Best Number to be reached at: xxxxxxxxx

Description of Issue being called in:
-- unable to print and preview

Work Performance:
-- got connected to WS
-- Found Adobe 11 was installed
-- uninstalled adobe reader 11
-- reinstalled the adobe reader 10.1.4
-- caller was able to print and preview
Emphasis mine. Just to clarify, I wasn't able to print and preview.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

That image has been around a while, but more assholes have done similar things since.
Could be worse, the guy could have put pee in there.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I submitted a ticket!

The software is used by one of our departments to manage a certain kind of customer and generate reports etc. In all, it's an ambitious piece of software and I do have to give credit for how much it actually can do. That said, their support department isn't great.

The problem today was that on one specific workstation, reports couldn't print. I couldn't even get it to generate a print preview. Two previous shifts have been working on this computer.

Printing and previews works on my own desktop with IE11 and Adobe Reader XI, current Java etc. with no problems.
I've seen a similar issue with IE and Acrobat, try renaming C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX to ActiveX.bak or something, that'll break IE's ability to open PDFs and it'll pass them to Reader to open instead. It's not an ideal fix, but if you can live with it it might be easier than a reimage. Also that ActiveX directory will get recreated every time Reader updates, so you'll have to redo this from time to time, and it's protected so you can't just delete it unless you boot to safe mode.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

More seriously:

Holy gently caress that's tragic. Those super soakers are hyper rare and stupid powerful. I had one like 20 years ago and now they're on eBay for $300+

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Son of a bitch.

I installed two logic boards today. Both laptops (MacBook Pros of varying vintages) ended up with no internal video when I was done. the first one was written off as a DOA board. the second one was checked much closer. Turns out I bent one pin on the display connector. Twice. I've worked on that connector 20 times in the last month and now I gently caress it up badly, twice, in one day.

It got caught, thank everything I"m not the senior Mac tech in the office yet, and one pin has been put back in place successfully so far. Tuesday will be either terrible or a vast relief depending on if I have to charge a display to us or not.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Holy gently caress that's tragic. Those super soakers are hyper rare and stupid powerful. I had one like 20 years ago and now they're on eBay for $300+

Ah, gently caress yeah, that's pure nostalgia, I remember wanting better and better super soakers. A friend of mine actually had this one.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What is it with some places. Our solaris manager came in with
http://www.ballerhouse.com/2009/06/19/nerf-set-to-drop-fully-automatic-havoc/:magical:
. Basically:

and all we wanted to do was to have him shoot that gun at everyone.

I guess it's only a threat when it's a nerf handgun but never when it's a nerf deployable machinegun?

One of my coworkers came in with this bad boy:

I was coming into the office from the side door, and apparently startled him...so I got a dart to the head from it. That fucker stings :catstare:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Knormal posted:

I've seen a similar issue with IE and Acrobat, try renaming C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX to ActiveX.bak or something, that'll break IE's ability to open PDFs and it'll pass them to Reader to open instead. It's not an ideal fix, but if you can live with it it might be easier than a reimage. Also that ActiveX directory will get recreated every time Reader updates, so you'll have to redo this from time to time, and it's protected so you can't just delete it unless you boot to safe mode.

It's a little more complicated than that, the whole thing runs as some sort of java virtual machine.

The point though, is that the other technician lied on his ticket and I accidentally got proof.

It'd be like if you had a suspicion that your doctor wasn't taking your illness seriously and then had your suspicions confirmed when he accidentally dropped a page from your chart that shows he's been filling in results from tests he never performed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

A Java front-end with embedded PDFs? My god, it's the stuff of nightmares.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A massive Sunday fuckup came in, and I'm the one responsible! :neckbeard:

Our new firewall came in and Sunday is the only day safe to do any sort of network twiddling. We got in at 8, and after a lot of futzing and transferring very long lists of rules and port forwards, we were done by 2:00. The only problem was that, for reasons we still aren't sure of, pointing your DNS address to the firewall would end in DNS resolution errors. The fix was to simply allow the firewall to DHCP dictate DNS addresses, or just manually use 8.8.8.8.

I'm not proud of this next part, and I'm not entirely sure what my thought process was, but I somehow managed to tell the firewall to redirect all traffic coming to the firewall to 8.8.8.8.

That was it, we lost all access to the UI. Nothing could be done but a factory reset.

Now, here I am starting over. My supervisor is pissed and is redoing everything himself.

It was a nice job while it lasted, I guess :smith:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

larchesdanrew posted:

That was it, we lost all access to the UI. Nothing could be done but a factory reset.

What kind of an enterprise firewall doesn't have a serial console port of some sort?

Edit: Wait, how did you even do the initial configuration without a console connection? Or did whatever you change break the console connection somehow? If so, that seems like a ridiculous design flaw...

dennyk fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 18, 2015

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

dennyk posted:

What kind of an enterprise firewall doesn't have a serial console port of some sort?
This.

quote:

Edit: Wait, how did you even do the initial configuration without a console connection? Or did whatever you change break the console connection somehow? If so, that seems like a ridiculous design flaw...
Many will have a pre-set IP address you can use to remote into it. We bought a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite and it was pre-set with 192.168.1.1, which is what we used to connect to it. While it did have a console port, it didn't come with a cable. I'm thinking we probably could have used a Cisco console cable to connect to it, but this was quick and easy. Plus, my MBP didn't have a serial port and I don't have a USB>Serial adapter.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was going to say even those dirt cheap Ubiquiti's have console ports (Cisco cables work fine BTW). The only thing I can find that doesn't have a console port is the real entry-level Mikrotik stuff which people either love or hate depending on what feature they want to use and which way the wind is blowing. Even the lovely plastic Sonicwall's have console ports on them.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

dennyk posted:

It had a console port, but that would require a serial port to use and damned if I couldn't find a loving computer with one to use. A USB serial adapter is next on my toolbag list

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you SSH into one router and then connect back out the console port into the console port of another?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
And you'll also remember next time that when you get it mostly working, you save off the config off to your computer just in case!

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you SSH into one router and then connect back out the console port into the console port of another?

Only if the router allows you to initiate sessions using its console port. I could be just ignorant, but I've never used a router to do that before.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

More seriously:

If they were clever they probably could've rigged it so the slide on the watergun operated the shotty.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Casull posted:

And you'll also remember next time that when you get it mostly working, you save off the config off to your computer just in case!

Bingo. As soon as it was functional, I backed it up. For added security, I dedicated a port solely for maintenance.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
User: Hi, my laptop screen is broken (Notice "My laptop screen is broken", not "I broke my laptop screen")
Me: Bring it to IT
User: But it's really broken, you have to press on the sides to even get a warbled picture
User: See attached picture of how broken it really is.

So far, no laptop at IT, and no reply.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

evobatman posted:

User: Hi, my laptop screen is broken (Notice "My laptop screen is broken", not "I broke my laptop screen")
User: But it's really broken, you have to press on the sides to even get a warbled picture

In before user complains about how unhelpful you are, and you are told to go pick it up

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

evobatman posted:

Just remote in and fix his computer. Jeez.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

nitrogen posted:

In before user complains about how unhelpful you are, and you are told to go pick it up

I didn't even consider this possibility.

Now I know that it is how this is going to end :smith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

evobatman posted:

Bring it to IT

I had a coworker email me for over two months about setting up email on her phone. Kept telling her to bring it to me. She kept emailing. Finally, the GM comes bitching about how she told him I was ignoring her and refused to set up her email.

I showed him our email correspondence and pointed out that she hadn't physically been in this building for the entire two months, so how exactly was I supposed to do it?

I get an apology and she gets written up for lying. Feels good, man.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

I've posted a few times in this and the "poo poo pissing you off" thread that the company I work for had some clusterfuck merger going on that left us with a bunch of people several states away trying to run the business and succeeding only in slowly running it into the ground. We've known for a while that they were planning to move our offices to something nearby but cheaper, but apparently they decided it was a good idea to flat-out stop paying the rent on the current place. The landlord gave us eviction papers on the day I posted that, with the result that instead of a graceful planned move we now have to have everything out of the building by tomorrow, and we don't even have access to the new office yet.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

President Ark posted:

I've posted a few times in this and the "poo poo pissing you off" thread that the company I work for had some clusterfuck merger going on that left us with a bunch of people several states away trying to run the business and succeeding only in slowly running it into the ground. We've known for a while that they were planning to move our offices to something nearby but cheaper, but apparently they decided it was a good idea to flat-out stop paying the rent on the current place. The landlord gave us eviction papers on the day I posted that, with the result that instead of a graceful planned move we now have to have everything out of the building by tomorrow, and we don't even have access to the new office yet.

So how is the job search going?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

FireSight posted:

So how is the job search going?

Decently! But they're still cutting paychecks so I'm hoping to broaden things instead of just looking near Atlantic City, which is dying. As long as they're still cutting paychecks gently caress it I'll keep farting around here to help pay for future poo poo.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 19, 2015

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
This firewall talk reminds me of the time our our genius network engineer (remote mind you) was reconfiguring our ASAs and managed to break the internet for the office. He removed the NAT for the internal DNS server and was really confused when I told him that the internet stopped working and the DNS server didn't have a public address anymore.

Took him about two hours to figure out that the issue was his misconfiguration all along. Also the one time our main internet got knocked out for a few seconds and the ASA attempted to fail over to our secondary connection only to not work because he misconfigured the routes. That also took him about three hours to figure out.

Ask me about having a remote network engineer who uses an iPad to remote in :smith:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

I had a coworker email me for over two months about setting up email on her phone. Kept telling her to bring it to me. She kept emailing. Finally, the GM comes bitching about how she told him I was ignoring her and refused to set up her email.

I showed him our email correspondence and pointed out that she hadn't physically been in this building for the entire two months, so how exactly was I supposed to do it?

I get an apology and she gets written up for lying. Feels good, man.

Get a copy of gotoassist remote support just for this. I have 180 tablets + 100+ smartphones out in the field spread all over the southeast. Bringing them to the office is not in the cards. Me remoting in and fixing poo poo is however.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

President Ark posted:

Decently! But they're still cutting paychecks so I'm hoping to broaden things instead of just looking near Atlantic City, which is dying. As long as they're still cutting paychecks gently caress it I'll keep farting around here to help pay for future poo poo.

You should probably get out of AC, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with RealVNC?

I'm thinking of rolling it out so I can tighten up this poo poo show. I'm tired of leaving RDP ports open. I already rolled out an SSL VPN service that they refuse to use because it complicates their login process.

I was thinking of just getting 4 RealVNC licenses and installing the app on the required systems.

• Locked thread