Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
No screenshots this time, since Rochard didn't get himself into any particularly noteworthy situations. Cleared Spellhold, and entered the City of Caverns. I tried to do the skip to avoid losing an attribute point just on principle, but screwed it up, so Rochard now has 8 Int instead of 9. Not that it really matters, since it's still 2 hits from a Mind Flayer, and it's not like I was going to be using scrolls anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012

Dootman posted:

Davaeorn is level 11, so if you cast dispel magic on him while you are level 5 or 6, it will fail 95% of the time.

That... would explain that. I guess I was operating off faulty memory for that fight, since I thought that was a mage fight where dispel/remove magic worked well.

...I must have been paying about no attention to those lines when typing them, because how the hell did I manage to misspell bolt?

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Well, Mr Lizzzzard the Avenger is doing well. First things first, kill Drizzt with Salamander fireballs:

Then, on to the plot:

The bandit camp went the same way as pretty much every encounter goes if I can help it: sword spider form in a pile of webbing.

See also: invisible spider traipsing through the cloakwood:

Davaeorn was immune to webs, so there was a lot of chromatic orbs and invisibility.

Then onto the city, where I got my 10th level. Just finished the Candlekeep basement - now onto the end game and probably another death.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?
My previous character died to me being a doofus and not paying close enough attention, so here's hoping that my attention span will last longer for Julian, the Gnomish Thief/Illusionist

Pretty good stats. One of my first rolls was a 93, which I accidentally clicked past and so felt compelled to roll until I got that total again. I had to "settle" for a 92. My starting spells were Blindness, Sleep, and Find Familiar, because I don't want to wait for Nimbul for a shapeshifting Imp.

The Ogre at Gorion's Ambush dropped a scroll of Mirror Image, which I'm sure will come in handy at some point. Grabbed Jaheria long enough for the Potion of Invisibility, and did my usual starting gambit of quests to get to level 4/3 before leaving Beregost.

I think Beregost does strange things to mages. Neera ran away from Red Wizards, but kept trying to talk to Julian in the middle of the battle. The Imp tanked the red wizard's spells like a champ. Silke got charmed to interrupt a mirror image, then when she turned hostile after saving against a pair of Blindness spells, just walked around. No Lightning Bolts or Magic Missiles or anything. After getting to level 4/3 and scribing Invisibility into my spellbook for abuse, I went and snagged a pair of books, a wand of Summon Monster, a Ring of Fire Resist, and a Scroll of Cloudkill.

The Nashkel Mines are easy when you just go straight through with invisibility. War Dogs killed Mulahey and most of his minions. Nimbul's assassination attempt in broad daylight didn't go well. I Charmed Algernon into trying to see if he could duplicate that feat in Beregost, but it didn't work. :( Tranzig did provide a scare - his lightning bolt went through the wall and hit Julian. Thank goodness for Gnomish Saving Throws.

Soloing the Bandit Camp is easy, if you don't care about things like experience or loot. All you need is a pair of invisibility sources, and a potion of absorption. Drink the potion, trigger the lightning trap and grab the stuff inside. You go to the next chapter, and if you're lucky, the bolt will kill the hobgoblin with the good longbow.

Here is Julian as of right now, about to enter the Cloakwood. Experience points? Who needs them (once you can cast Invisibility)? In fact, I don't think I gained any experience points at all in Chapter 3.

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Cap has started BG2, and has survived to chapter 3... so far.

Time to start BG2. My congratulations to everyone on their successes, and my condolences to those who've had their runs end.
To all of you that take Neera or roll a wild mage though: you are braver than I!

Anyhow, after defeating Sarevok Irenicus' dungeon should be a breeze, right?

:stare: Evidently Irenicus has the WORLDS STRONGEST GOBLIN in his employ, yikes. I don't remember the last time I had somebody die in the intro dungeon.

Despite the rocky start, I'm able to escape and get the team together. I decide to go after the easier quests in Amn to start, killing the slavers, grabbing lilarcor, and clearing the circus.

I clear out de'arnise hold so Nalia stops complaining.

I take down a few more miscellaneous low level quests, and turn in the 15000 gold to start chapter 3.

Just a small update for now. Next time I go and grab my stronghold.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Rochard made his way through the City of Caverns without much trouble, and has made a start on the Underdark.

The battle against the Balor in the Underdark was a bit tricky. He Stunned or Held most of the party, did something else to Free-Actioned Valygar (he ran away as if he was feared, but nothing showed up on the character sheet), and essentially it was only Rochard up and fighting. A couple of Bolts of Glory got him down to Badly Hurt, and then I dived in with the Flail of Ages just in time to take aggro off Minsc. After a bunch of hitting him occasionally (and getting hit back a lot more), Imoen and Jan managed to break out of their stun and help finish him off.

Unfortunately, all my screenshots of the fight were coming out as black screens :( Restarting the game fixed it going forwards, but you'll have to settle for this post-fight screenshot to get an idea of how close of a call it was.

Still no deaths!

Cleaning out the Beholder lair with the Shield of Cheese, Rochard made himself a friend :3:

Who unfortunately died fighting the group of Mind Flayers a little further down.

Those Mind Flayers also managed to braindrain my Skeleton Warrior. Like that thing with Minsc and the Beholders earlier, that's a little worrying. I manage to clear them out with Rochard though.

Lastly, Vithal manages to get his time stop off. And then prompty dies to Valygar's poison ticks. That was a close call, and no mistake.

I'll probably do Ust Natha next, I can't decide whether I want to actually do the Mind Flayer lair this run. The experience is good, but it's actually going to be quite risky if my skeleton warriors aren't actually immortal, and the loot I'd be getting is basically just money given my party composition.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Did it! Mr Lizzzard the solo Avenger has completed BG1.

At level 10 I could become a chaotic commanded, iron skinned spider with 3 attacks/round, and therefore things became easier. I took down Sarevok with some strong cheddar - an army of protective bears and chromatic orbs plinking away eventually took him down:

Claimed awards:

Ironling, Purist, Honourable Trader, A God Among Men

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HULK II's run is off to a bit of a rocky start, thanks to an unfortunate encounter with a bear that had Imoen cornered:

But a quick trip to the temple next to the Friendly Arms Inn soon saw her right. Picked up Eldoth again for help against Tarnesh. (Too drat many Ta- names in this game.) It was still a bit touch and go, since Tarnesh got off a mirror image (I think SCS mucks with his spell sequence) but thankfully a raging HULK is immune to, among other things, fear, so it all worked out for the best. Ditched Eldoth shortly thereafter because gently caress that guy. I think I'm going with a mostly-good and neutral party: aiming toward Minsc and Dynaheir, Branwen, Imoen, and a rotating slot which will probably go to another thief eventually. Maybe Tiax. (I did say mostly good and neutral.)

But for right now, I have to go with the allies I have, not the allies I want, so Khalid (who's a fighter-mage in this particular modded atrocity) and Jaheira are joining up for now. I'll probably also make Edwin help us rescue Dynaheir, just for the look on his face.

E: I sure am glad I brought you back, Imoen!

Also, Jaheira is kind of hardcore.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 18, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So it's confession time. I actually finished Talindra's BG1 run before the new thread went up, I just saved it for doing updates. So over the last few days I've been playing BG2! So here to catch up is everything Talindra, the Evil Swashbuckler has done in Athkatla so far.

Note: I took a lot of screenshots for one thing I did since I thought not everyone might have seen it. I put the good ones in and just linked the ones that are game content you might want to check out.

Since I hit level 10 in the Thieves' Maze, the very first thing Talindra did in BG2 was dual-class to fighter. (Literally the first thing she didn't even exit her cage first.) It's going to take her awhile to get her levels back but she'll get there! It's actually not as bad as it seems - the quest rewards in Irenicus' dungeon are silly out of proportion for level 1 characters, so Talindra was level 3 before leaving the first room and level 7 before heading into Waukeen's Promenade.

Oh, and I changed her portrait because this new one fits her wonderfully and is pretty well done! (It's added by BG2EE itself.)

We've all seen Irenicus' Dungeon, we don't need to see any more.

Except for this. It's worth mentioning that BG2EE tweaked the item import from BG1 a little bit in 1.3. Now, in addition to getting the usual stuff, the djinn you can free in the Elemental Plane of Air gives you an imported weapon from a short, powerful list that your character possessed. In Talindra's case, this was the Flame Tongue sword, which is really really helpful for a bunch of reasons soon. (The Sword of Chaos the djinn gave you is moved to a guaranteed drop from the Cambion on level 1.)

So I have "my normal way" to get myself going in BG2 pretty down pat by now. As soon as I get out, hit up the Adventurer's Mart, then do the circus, then collect new friends at the Copper Coronet and deal with the slavers. Gets me some good loot to get started, and some early experience points to even things out.

But I realized that was actually a bad idea this time because I'm evil. Half my party (Jaheira and Minsc) I want to get rid of, and I'm missing a lot of people I could easily pick up who I DO want in my party. So I made a few side trips.

BESHABA IS THE EVIL GODDESS OF BAD LUCK YOU ARE STUPID

I think something may have been messed up with my tweaks for NPC levelling. Oh well, I'll just consider it interest from the time I spent with her in BG1.

MY BEST FRIEND IS BACK :D

Minsc you are in completely the wrong party for that. Go shack up with Drizzt or something.

I picked up Korgan and did the Circus Tent, but I forgot to take screenshots.

This idiot thought he could take me on. First random death of the game! More blood for my blades.

I thought about picking up Anomen and corrupting him, but I said too many mean things to him and the weakling ran off with his tail between his legs.

Hexxat got stuck to me. This is when the real fun started. I had to drop Jaheira for Hexxat since I didn't want to risk losing an evil party member I was possibly interested in.

(I think she had a crush on me.)

Now here was my problem. Both Hexxat and Korgan have things they want done in the Graveyard District and on fairly strict timers. So, yep, I went to do the worst district of Athkatla as pretty much a fresh babe right out of Chateau Irenicus.

First step was looting all the small tombs. I needed the experience badly, and I knew from this thread that whatever Dragomir was, he needed +2 weapons to take down. Luckily I was okay prepared for this. I had the random encounter which dropped Arbane, which I gave to Hexxat. The tombs had a +2 battleaxe in them for Korgan. Talindra already HAD one +2 longsword - the Flame Tongue (and it was coming in really handy here) - and there was another one in a tomb. And Dorn had the Sword of Chaos. 4/6 people with weapons wasn't bad.

Then something else happened. You see, Dorn wants you to go massacre a wedding. And his reminder has a "why not right now?" dialogue option in which case YOU TELEPORT RIGHT INSIDE THE WEDDING. I was not really prepared for this, but it turned out to be very easy. Most of the guests are about as hard as the goblins in Irenicus' Dungeon, and only the actual priest puts up anything vaguely regarding a fight. They dropped some okay loot to sell too.

Back to the Graveyard. It turns out Dragomir's Tomb is actually that tomb at the SE with the Staff of Curing stuck in it, if you're wondering.

Lots of creepy people here. I think the last time I heard "awaken the sleeper" this much it was some troll thing in WoW. Sunken Temple?

loving come on. I'm level 8 I don't want to be fighting enemies from the Shadow Temple yet!

Hexxat was really insistent I enter this tomb, where I found a knight who got all pissy at me and then I beat his face in for not bowing down.

He level drained me! What the gently caress bullshit is this! Aaa I'm only a baby in terms of this game don't do this to me yet!

And then it wasn't even the right tomb anyway! Make up your mind Hexxat!

Eventually I made my way to Dragomir himself, and killed him too. Just in time - he was pretty close to killing a lot of us.

Here's the stats on the vampire cloak he had on him, if you want to read its (pretty cool) backstory:

http://imgur.com/GfTr0Cn
http://imgur.com/jAQW3Q2
http://imgur.com/1QqGZtD

Gee if Hexxat wanted this, I wonder what she would be.

Only Hexxat has the will to get through this wall. It's right, I really don't care about her that much I just want to get out of these tombs.

Oh, the ACTUAL Hexxat is a vampire. Okay. Got it. Pretty nifty-looking cool one too.

Weirdly, after she's been drained to death, the fake Hexxat sticks around and still wants to join your party to go to the Tomb.

Assorted conversations with Hexxat:
http://imgur.com/62kZM1P
http://imgur.com/mbeu7ig
http://imgur.com/EVxHN0E
http://imgur.com/hsJKKLC
http://imgur.com/CiKAeJu
http://imgur.com/AM6MAgT
http://imgur.com/Qh6a3Wx

This conversation is notable because it's actually a really funny Forgotten Realms in-joke. You might remember El from a letter he sent Gorion in BG1.

Then Hexxat gives you "this," which is a Bag of Holding with a coffin in it. YOINK. Works just fine too.

Item description for the customized Bag of Holding:
http://imgur.com/GueBfIc
http://imgur.com/L4VIhB4
http://imgur.com/pJdk5sO

But I wasn't done yet!

I still had Korgan's quest to do too, which meant I had to go into the lower level of the tombs and clear out the spider nest area. Yet more poo poo I didn't want to do at like level 8. Along the way, Hexxat established she had a quest to do at some generic point in the future. Yay.

Clearing out the southern lower tomb SUCKED. I only had Viconia as a cleric, so I had one Lesser Restoration and one Cure Disease spell per attempt. It's pretty full of mummies, with one vampire and a ton of skeleton warriors. I ended up doing two fights, then retreating back out to the Spider Nest to rest. (If you sleep in the tombs you get mobbed by ghasts.) Praise Mystra for Dorn having built in Negative Plane Protection. I cleared out the entire tomb since I'll have to come back here for Edwin later, found out Korgan's pals stole his book, and then left for the Copper Coronet to get him his revenge.

Dorn couldn't help getting his dig in though. I kind of want to see this romance but I have no idea if I'm doing it right.

Actually I want to kill your god for slaying my father and stealing part of his power, but that can wait for later.

I got Korgan his revenge and then headed down for some long-needed rest. Talindra is exhausted.

I need to get Edwin asap, not having a mage sucks. I also need to figure out some sort of acceptable second cleric because Viconia is the only evil one in BG2 and that sucks. Yoshimo is pretty much dead weight to me outside of maybe taking him to Spellhold for his quest; Hexxat is cooler and more fun and is better at trapfinding than him. I only need HER until Talindra gets her skills back at level 11 anyway.

Having some party issues here and it sucks. Not being able to lean on Keldorn and Aerie really messes things up.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

After clearing the mine last update she turned in some quests in Nashkel ( Mines, Ring, Emeralds for the bounty). Got accosted by and murdered yet another assassin who relied on invisibility and mirror images. This is why I love inquisitors, they just do not care about all the low level ways encounters can make things hard. And at higher levels, 150% ( Strategems change ) dispel magic.

Vin continues her obsessive campaign of clearing every bit of fog of war off of every map. Starting by cleared out the infestatin of tiny blue men and bears in the mountains. ( And murdered someone trying to sell her party cursed scrolls ). After that it was time to clear out more bears and different tiny blue creatures (xvarts) from bear river.

I wanted to kill the doomguard by Kozah Excavation but did it wrong. Sadly the blurred rear end in a top hat remains at large.

Back in civilization for a while I stocked up on arrows, identified some gear, commissioned some Ankeg armor, handed over a big supply of bandit scalps to Officer Vai. Oh and murdered Tranzig.

Tranzig dropped the Glitterdust spell which luckily Dynaheir managed to scribe to her spellbook successfully. Why lucky. Well she can't learn sleep. But Glitterdust is a very powerful spell sadly frequently overlooked. Most people seem to think only about its anti invisibility aspect. That is a mistake, it is a AoE blind. That means -4 AC and -4 Saving Throws, -4 Accuracy. And a very very tiny sight radius. If the AI cannot see anything, it will simply stand there.

Those things combined make Glitterdust one of the most powerful party friendly soft CC's in the early spell levels. It works on anything, damage doesn't break it and it doesn't make monsters run away.

Then off to clear red canyons, first up. Bassilus and his little sad party of undead. I hosed up the dialogue and thus did not get the whole bunch destroyed for free, risky moment there but Viconia pulled through with a solid Turn Undead so nothing horrible happened.

Oh and Melicamps fate ?

Well, one more on the dead Melicamp pile.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Natsume the Kensai/Druid survives.

We started by solving the skin flayer murders in Athkatla's Bridge District, then it was off to Trademeet.

I hadn't intended to fight the rakshasa in the forest until after dealing with the druids, but Hexxat called her out and a battle ensued.

Natsume dueled Faldorn, with predictable results.

Back in Trademeet, we wrapped up that loose end with the skin flayer murderer.

And finally we tried to help some noble families settle a long-standing dispute, but ended up slaughtering both sides. The town mayor seemed kind of mad about it, but the way I see it we solved the problem for good!

I'm the hero of Trademeet!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Cynora the human sorcerer seeks to establish herself in Amn in preparation for a huge shopping spree.

To the relief of everyone, I took no screenshots of the starting dungeon. I think everyone has seen enough of it for a lifetime.

The first order of business was to assemble my party. This took about 5 minutes. The second order of business was to acquire an item which greatly facilitates the early game. Here's how you get it ASAP: in the starting dungeon, there is a potion of master thievery. Find it and hold on to it. In the building of Shadow Thieves, there is a table right behind the black market thief which contains a second potion of master thievery. Grab it, then go upstairs and start the Mae'var/thief stronghold quest line. Once you have access to Mae'var's guild hall, go to the second floor where the practice locked doors are located.

Yoshimo starts with 100 in find trap but only 65 in open lock, so have him drink the two potions of master thievery that you have and it will bump his open lock score to 105. Now he can detrap and unlock every practice door. Do so and loot them all. You'll find 3 more potions of master thievery and 1 potion of perception. We're almost there.

Leave the docks and make a quick stop at the copper coronet. Talk to the owner and ask for access to the back rooms, then go upstairs into the room of a retired thief and loot the trapped desk to get his gloves of pickpocketing. Equip them, and talk to thief twice if you want for a funny conversation between him and Yoshimo.

Head to the adventurer's mart. With the gloves of pickpocketing and the 2 potions of master thievery still active, Yoshimo has a score of 125 in pickpocket which should be enough, but this being a no-reload playthrough feel free to drink more potions just in case. Make sure not to get above 255 however. Then make a silent prayer to Tymora and...

Score! No need for a bunch of low level healing spells anymore, you can fill your priest spell books with actual good stuff.

I took care of the copper coronet and slave ship quests first since they're really easy and you get +2 reputation out of it. Next up: De'arnise Keep.

Why De'arnise Keep? Because I find it relatively easy and you get a lot of loot out of it, including a scroll of find familiar. Cynora finally has her own familiar and the 12 HP boost that comes with it.

I decided to fight the golems without cheesing them with the doorway tactic. That... could have been a costly mistake.

Holy balls do TorGal and his giant troll pals hit hard. Fortunately a good cast of slow saved the day yet again.

I went back to the city to sell most of my haul, told Bodhi to take a hike and went to the bridge district real quick to solve the murders (easy +1 rep). To trademeet!

Killing the rakshasas for the genie embargo quest can be kind of hard since they all cast death fog and chain lightning but you can *cough* cheese it by just running outside and waiting for the fog to clear. When they're out of spells, they die easily to +2 weapons.

I wanted to take a screenshot of Cernd chunking the poo poo out of Faldorn but the screen turned to black before I could.

Cynora was now the hero of Trademeet! After solving the family feud, it was just a matter of trying up the bridge district tanner loose end.

Looking good! Just two more points of reputation before the spending spree begins. And I know just the two quick and easy quests to do to get them. Back to the city!

Started the Sir Sarles quest to gain access to Neb. His head is worth a bit of gold and another +1 rep. Only one more to go. Time to handle the fallen paladins of the bridge district.

Why are they hostile already? Noooo. Stupid loving party AI that, in my laziness, I forgot to turn off decided to attack the neutral paladins just after I had been asked by them to fetch their leader's paladin cup. I immediately paused, turned off party AI and told them to stop but it was too late. The fallen paladins turned hostile and I can't complete that quest anymore. Sigh. I'll have to a big quest to get that last point of reputation I need.

Umar Hills it is. The quest is pretty easy and, more importantly, there are no beholders.

So easy in fact that I decided to make it even easier by having Jaheira summon a fire elemental and watched it clear most of the dungeon without taking any damage.

Shade Lord died before he could to anything at all.

Finally!

Time to go shopping for overpowered gear. :getin:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I assume you skipped the dragon in the shadow temple. Is it possible to go back and fight it later? I'm think of sending Natsume to do that quest, but I'd rather do the dragon later.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yes, you can return to the temple ruins and fight the shadow dragon whenever you want.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Haha, I was just about to post about that ring of regeneration. So handy!

Archie the human Arcane Archer (Fighter/Mage) is kickin it in Amn after finally slaying Sarevok

I was pleased to see the armor import worked this time. I hardly ever keep the Fallorian plate around since nonmagic full plate is better and you can pair it with protection items. This time I hauled it all the way with me from the Cloakwood mines for just such an occasion. It sure beats the mail of the dead, anyhow.

I wasn't pleased to see all the composite bows, though, yeesh. How can goblins even use them? I had to keep Strength cast just so Archie could arch things instead of tangling in melee like a fool.

Anyway, tutorial dungeon, blah blah blah scoured it for all the magic scrolls and potions I could find and then took off. I sold off some of the gems and junk magic weapons to raise funds for the two potions of master thievery at the adventure mart, and Yoshimo pulled it off just fine. I never realized that stopping at 100~ pickpocketing was dangerous, though, I could have ended my run real early there.

Hooray for stupid risks!

Also I tackled the circus quest beforehand, it wasn't too tough once I had Aerie chain scribe all those scrolls for the sweet XP, which put Jaheira high enough level to cast True Sight. So long, werewolves. Minsc, Archie, and Yoshimo had magic blades for the shadows. As well as plain old magic in Archie's case.

So! Things are looking kinda ok.
(Thanks, ring of human influence. I'll probably sell you later though.)
I'm kind of terrified, though, I've never gotten far in BG2 Ironman style. I think my previous attempt in the old thread ended in the sewers below the Copper Coronet when one of the hobgoblin priests got a Hold spell off on my guy. Such a sad death. Plus I've never done well with a mage MC. I'm pretty terrible at them. I basically used mages for removing spell protections in my old playthroughs and that's about it. They're a lot less complicated in BG1, but I never really know where to start with them in BG2. What are some fun tactics with them?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yeah! I am terrified about pick pocketing. A 1% chance of failure is still enough to end your run.

Just did the end of the Rasaad quest; there were two fireball traps coran didn't see with 95 in traps! I guess he still needs another level before I tackle durlags.

But there's really not much left. Everything in baldurs gate EXCEPT the iron throne is done. I guess I will just pop a scroll of magic protection on Yeslick and have him go nuts on the Mage Prison.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Brakh the Cavalier got lightning and flame strike nuked by Seniyad and pals. Long live Brakh the Cavalier.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I'd like to dedicate this post to the Stratagems Bandit Camp Improvements.

After some more clearing of the left side of the wilderness areas Kivan started to complain about the bandit camp. So I decided that while I could be a little higher level I was probably going to be alright.

Yeah about that. See if you've not played Stratagems you might not know, but it changes the way the bandit camp works. If you go there and attack something, they raise the alarm. When that happens the whole freaking camp starts gunning for you.

I'm not kidding, the tents empty, the main building empties, the bossfight plus the whole arrangement of things hidden away in corners and caves wants your guts. Now you can avoid this if you go for the infiltration approach. But if you have Kivan in your party it doesn't work since he announces his plans to murder everyone in the camp during your interview with Tazok.

I thought I could deal. I had a plan. First engage them to the north

then just leave the map and reproach from the south.

Yeah that didn't work out as I intended. Apparently the scripting is good enough that the bosses will start walking to your new location. So my play to distract them to the top and then work away at things did not work out.

Enjoy some images of my fight quickly deteriorating.

Vin got killed by the bandit camp, all of it, the whole dammed camp.

You know what the biggest joke is ? Upon reflection i think its actually BG1 NPC Project that makes Kivan attack Tazok. I don't have that mod installed at all. Oh well, better luck on my next attempt.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

RIP anime paladin.

That mod looks kind of fun, maybe I'll try it on a non-ironman game sometime.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
Quick update on Liana the Archer:

I picked up Kagain and Branwen, then grabbed Edwin to replace Xzar who sadly died to a bandit random attack. Then I decided I wanted to use Dorn on this run, but I hadn't realised that when you recruit him it's on a random extra map that you can't (I presume?) get back to, so Kagain is now gone for good.

Cleared out the Gnoll Stronghold which got me to level 2 and a massive 12 extra hp - not feeling so squishy anymore! Figured I'd get everyone to level 2 before hitting the mines but then Dorn only got 1hp on level up, so I may do some more quests before that. I'm trying not to use a walkthrough but it seems I don't actually remember that much of bg1 so I'm fully expecting to barrel into one of the groups of assassins soon enough, but we'll see. Currently resting in Nashkel before another adventure into the wilderness.

One day I'll remember to take some screenshots.

Oh and Melicamp died :(.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Semi-mental posted:

Quick update on Liana the Archer:

I picked up Kagain and Branwen, then grabbed Edwin to replace Xzar who sadly died to a bandit random attack. Then I decided I wanted to use Dorn on this run, but I hadn't realised that when you recruit him it's on a random extra map that you can't (I presume?) get back to, so Kagain is now gone for good.

Cleared out the Gnoll Stronghold which got me to level 2 and a massive 12 extra hp - not feeling so squishy anymore! Figured I'd get everyone to level 2 before hitting the mines but then Dorn only got 1hp on level up, so I may do some more quests before that. I'm trying not to use a walkthrough but it seems I don't actually remember that much of bg1 so I'm fully expecting to barrel into one of the groups of assassins soon enough, but we'll see. Currently resting in Nashkel before another adventure into the wilderness.

One day I'll remember to take some screenshots.

Oh and Melicamp died :(.

Get into a random encounter in that area and kagain will be chilling out there.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Yep, I dumped Xzar and Montaron when I recruited Dorn. It was funny to see them still standing there later when I got ambushed by gnolls or whatever.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
The Tyrant Valvatorez has made it to the endgame. I just need to figure out if I want to go down the maze now at level 6 to just try to end this run, or do the parts of Sword Coast that doesn't scare me to get a level or two.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I've been continually updating the OP, just wanted to post so people are aware.

It should be updated through Orrfieldmedic's post above. Please let me know if there are any mistakes.

I've reordered the current adventurer's list, it's now sorted in descending order by storyline progression and identifies those adventurers who already got Ironling and are shooting higher now.

Removed Afraid of Pain dishonor by popular request. I'm open to adding more honors/dishonors, but someone else would have to create the icons for them.

As always feedback is welcome.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Create a "Not Afraid of Pain" honor for sticking to rolled HP?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My Great Aunt Petunia the Shadowdancer

So as for the spiders, I log jam the door with all the melee guys, park the two ranged guys outside and lure them out. Freaks me out as one of the spiders somehow bounces out of the fence when they change screens, but no one dies. Used up all of my antidotes though.

Neera's confrontation with the wizards happens. I throw Entangle, the bodyguards slip out of it and decide they want to kill Monty.

...they *really* decide they want to kill Monty. As in I lead them all over town and the remaining wizard is left to die a slow death by Imoen plinking.

And then he gets in a Flame Arrow to kill her for spite. Nickel and dime all my money, why don't you?

*twitch* No. gently caress right off, Neera. You die and go to Hell.

I get clever with the Ogrillons, triggering their road ambush with Petunia, running them back up the road and into my ambush. Shadowdancers are fun.

I grab the Family Amulet in the next area which...I have no idea what that does, and then it's to Nashkel. Tee hee.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

DeathChicken posted:

*twitch* No. gently caress right off, Neera. You die and go to Hell.

You should have let her join long enough for you to nick her gem bag (the only one that I know of in unmodded BGEE) and then told her to gently caress off.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Koskinator posted:

It should be updated through Orrfieldmedic's post above. Please let me know if there are any mistakes.

I've reordered the current adventurer's list, it's now sorted in descending order by storyline progression and identifies those adventurers who already got Ironling and are shooting higher now.

Removed Afraid of Pain dishonor by popular request. I'm open to adding more honors/dishonors, but someone else would have to create the icons for them.

You missed my latest post for Natsume, but no big deal since I'll have a new update soon enough. Thank you for your efforts.
EDIT: Just noticed you missed a death: Vin the Inquisitor

I wouldn't mind a "Gambler" honor for playing a wild mage, or possibly using Neera (or both). Replacing Afraid of Pain with an honor for rolling HP, as someone suggested, sounds good to me too. Speaking of honors, would someone be disqualified from Overcoming Adversity by dual-classing? I would assume so, but wanted to check since I'm considering a Beastmaster run if Natsume dies and would be tempted to dual-class to Cleric.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 19, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Koskinator posted:

My current character should be named Comstar goes Fourth the Swashbuckler , not Comstar the Fourth the Swashbuckler.

I havn't made any progress because the Soviets have invaded the Fulda Gap and NATO is learning how much it hates Electronic Warfare.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koskinator posted:

You missed my first, admittedly giant, update for Talindra in BG2.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Mountaineer posted:

You missed my latest post for Natsume, but no big deal since I'll have a new update soon enough. Thank you for your efforts.
EDIT: Just noticed you missed a death: Vin the Inquisitor

I wouldn't mind a "Gambler" honor for playing a wild mage, or possibly using Neera (or both). Replacing Afraid of Pain with an honor for rolling HP, as someone suggested, sounds good to me too. Speaking of honors, would someone be disqualified from Overcoming Adversity by dual-classing? I would assume so, but wanted to check since I'm considering a Beastmaster run if Natsume dies and would be tempted to dual-class to Cleric.

Meh, Vin'll be fine, she just needs to compound some of the never ending Gold she's got.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stabs McBadidea the solo Fighter/Thief has taken a brief sojourn from Baldur's Gate in order to plumb the depths of Durlag's Tower. I'd forgotten how big a pain in the rear end this place is.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
Things have taken a downward turn for Liana the Archer.

As predicted in my previous post, I ran straight into Sendai and her crew unprepared, and she managed to kill off everyone but the PC before I took her and one of the others out (the third one stopped chasing me through the fog of war thankfully). I picked up some of my equipment and went to get everyone rezzed, completely forgetting that equipment disappears if you don't go and get it quickly.

So I have managed to lose Dorn's sword, his plate mail, a ring of protection, and a +1 shield and sling. Dorn is now a bit pointless so I suspect I may kick him to the curb. Time to buy everyone new stuff I guess!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Various updates on Mazus, halfling cleric.

I got into Baldur's Gate, and the Zhents on top of the magic shop were harder than I remember. Specifically, one like insta-cast a fireball. With Dynaheir wearing Gorion's belt, things didn't go well. Still, they were quickly cleaned up by Coran.

I then proceeded to do all the various Baldur's Gate quests and unmarked loot things, from the mundane (bring some guy Nestor's Dagger) to the awesome (Get the Helm of Balduran). It didn't occur to me until now how close that mage dude was for however long he was searching. His house is literally right next door to the Helm and Cloak Inn.

He takes the helm when you complete the quest, then summons some more nasties. I was hoping attacking him would cause the monsters to appear, but no. He just died like a chump and I was out all the xp :(

I then did Rasaad's quest, since I'd heard there was a neat belt at the end of it. It goes on Yeslick, who with an intelligence of 7, barely notices the difference.

Pictured: the power of the Claw of Kazgaroth coupled with halfling high CON saving throws. You can put him down in melee, but you'll have some trouble killing me with a spell.

I then headed over to Durlag's. Man...gently caress this place.

Had a real scare here: I thought they dopplegangers cast fireball, not stinking cloud + cloudkill. Yeslick, Kivan, and Coran all have less than 7 HD at this point. They have to save vs. spell or die outright vs. Cloudkill. They...didn't.

gently caress Durlag's.

Did some tomb robbing. Yeslick failed to tank the 4 doomguards, and it fell to my PC to do the rest. That also was a bit too close for comfort.

Then something strange happened.

I was standing in the "summon heroes and fight wyverns" area, casting some buffs (bless, chant, etc.) to prep for the wyvern fight.

Then...the screen went to black and the "you died" movie played. There are no traps in that room. I did not drink a cursed potion/read a cursed scroll. I was not attacked. I was literally just standing there, and suddenly the game ended. That seems for all the world like a bug to me (especially because I did the exact same thing a moment later to see if I'd "die" again), and I didn't. So I'm continuing, but what a very strange bug.

The topiary area is super dangerous because of the Ashirukuru backstabs. Coran nearly died a couple times. But I got what I came for:

That axe will import into BG2, and make Korgan a poo poo-wrecker when it comes to mages.

I have never done this fight legit; I really have no idea what it's like. I always open with 6 fireballs from wands/necklace of missiles/potion of explosions. In this case, the queen, both rooks, all the pawns, and 1 bishop died in my opening salvo. Usually the bad guys will charge at that point, but for whatever reason they didn't. So I tossed a few more fireballs and the King and other bishop died. Yeah, it's cheap, but realistically, what was a lone King and 1 bishop going to do to me after my opening salvo? The chess battle bugs out a lot; I didn't want to gently caress with it again.

Heading to the final floor of Durlag's, now, which is actually probably the easiest of all of them. I expect to clear it today.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Koskinator posted:

You missed my first BG2 update. Not to worry, here's another one.

Cynora the sorcerer's shopping spree has ended. For now.

Here she is, decked out in her purchases: the robe of Vecna, the bracers of AC 3, the sling of Everard and a rod of resurrection. Also purchased were azuredge, Vhailor's helm, the shield of Balduran and the girdle of 19 STR. There's a few more things I want to buy but I'm a little low on funds for now. Back to questing.

The party unwittingly participated in Xzar's assassination by Harpers. Poor Xzar, you were so useful against Tarnesh. Then immediately afterwards, a Harper approached Jaheira and told her to come with her as she was being summoned by someone important. After talking to herself, Jaheira decided to temporarily leave the party.

After the party took a nap in the streets, Jaheira returned and brought Cynora before a Harper herald... or so she thought. Turned out it was some ambitious rear end in a top hat who wanted to gain stature by magically imprisoning Cynora forever for the crime of being a Bhaalspawn. Yeah, not gonna happen. Even Jaheira thought that was bullshit and sided with her when a fight broke out. The mage dropped a ring of wizardry, yay.

Being in the docks district, I figured I might as well finish the thief quest line. Mae'var's poo poo was ruined by two casts of holy smite.

I then entered the nearby inn intending to rest. Once inside, Jaheira came face to face with another person from her past. Man she gets around, doesn't she? He had her cursed by some mages.

Now you can find and bribe the mages to stop helping Ployer or pay even more for them to help you kill him, but why spend money? Just confront Ployer and kill him and the mages. The party took care of the mages while Jaheira dueled Ployer. She ended the fight in an appropriate fashion.

With his 3 APR bow, Yoshimo kept eating through arrows +1 like candy so I said to myself "You know what? I'll give him infinite arrows +1" and stopped by Watcher's Keep. The first floor is very easy, just shadows, spiders and ettercaps. Here the main haul: paladin's bracers, the tome of golems, quiver and case of plenty +1 and the crimson dart +3.

By then I realized I had azuredge and wondered if I could kill the lich in the wall real quick for an easy daystar. The answer was yes.

Cynora deserves a stronghold and I decided to give it to her. I went back to Umar Hills to get Valgyar and made a quick stop at the cave to see what happened to the kids who I bought booze and swords for.

Valygar was in the party just long enough to open the door to the planar sphere. What horrors await inside? I'm thinking golems and demons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So, Talindra went to the docks to do some quests and get Edwin. Because I was really feeling the not having a wizard thing.

I explored the docks.

And by explored I mean took everything that wasn't nailed down.

Which had some really dire consequences.

He didn't die, but every time I got near his house in the Docks he'd come after me.

I met up with Renal Bloodscalp, who then sent to me to Mae'var, who sent me to go to the Temple of Lathander and steal their poo poo.

I did it, but...

Yeah. More not friends!

On my way to turn the statue back in to Mae'var I decided to stop and take care of Prebek. Without any arcane spellcasters and only one cleric, I had to try really quickly to silence and dispel the two mages.

While I was taking care of that, Talindra got held and murdered. RIP Talindra, evil swashbuckler.

I'm a little glad this run is over. It was just grinding with the party composition issues I was having and I was way off balance in terms of what I wanted to do and how. I have my next character already, and she'll be a bit better - in a lot of ways.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Well, Rolf the Second, the dwarven Figher/Cleric has finally made enough progress that he's worth posting (Rolf Ia and 1b died to evil wizards and flesh golems, respectively). Having cleared the mines and killed Tanzig, he is now exploring the coast before heading to the bandit camp. Imoen has been dual-classed to mage and my other arcane caster is... Neera. What's life without a little fun, after all? I do actually have a plan: cheese difficult fights with Nahal's Reckless Dwemer -> Cloudkill. We will see how that actually goes.

Here is a younger Rolf; now he is Cleric 4/Fighter 3.

He is Rolf almost being killed by lightning during the Amazon fight! Good thing he was wearing Mulahey's boots. Imoen had eaten a Glyph of Warding.

He is Rolf and the entire party almost being killed by the revenant who was very mad about a dagger. I had to finish him off with Imoen's wand of magic missile.

And here is the party using the wand of frost to kill the doomsayer, primarily for the xp:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm kinda jealous of you EE guys getting to import a weapon with the genie instead of being stuck with Sarevok's old sword. What let's Bala's Axe's debuff stick, damaging a target with it or just getting a hit in? It it could land through all the potential spell protections I'd grab it and never let go.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I thought it was just the Helm of Balduran or Claw of Kazgaroth that got imported. Is there a list for these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

I thought it was just the Helm of Balduran or Claw of Kazgaroth that got imported. Is there a list for these?

Right here: http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm

• Locked thread