Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Not gonna lie, I was expecting one of the piglets to be DEBT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hahahaha this is the stupidest poo poo

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Hahahaha this is the stupidest poo poo

Well, virulent anti-Americanism and hostility to Western nations are sometimes exacerbated by, you know, invading and bombing the poo poo out of these countries and the people that they consider their kin.

:shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The U.S. did funnel money to the Taliban, believing them to be valuable freedom fighters in battling the global Soviet threat.

It was a strange time.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Chewbaccanator posted:

Well, virulent anti-Americanism and hostility to Western nations are sometimes exacerbated by, you know, invading and bombing the poo poo out of these countries and the people that they consider their kin.

:shrug:

Well, yeah, but you don't represent that concept by a sow and piglets. That's a metaphor for political corruption and cronyism, not violent antagonism.

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Alien Arcana posted:

Well, yeah, but you don't represent that concept by a sow and piglets. That's a metaphor for political corruption and cronyism, not violent antagonism.

They are islamic organizations though. So showing them as pigs may be a way to offend them?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Aardvark posted:

They are islamic organizations though. So showing them as pigs may be a way to offend them?

But also the US is a pig. The biggest pig, even!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Alien Arcana posted:

How about this: the US as a shark, devouring a seal labelled "The Middle East", and those organisations as pilot fish nibbling on the remains.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

I've never head a young earth creationist response to the fact of human civilizations and their remains that are older than 6,000 years ago. Is it just like dinosaurs and everything else where its just 'satan testing you with lies' type stuff? I see dinosaurs mentioned all the time but I never see anything about the human archeology record.
They just claim that dating methods are inaccurate or scientists straight up lie about results.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jedit posted:

The racism in Iron Pill reads to me like a 14-year-old saying racist things not because he's racist, but because he thinks saying them is funny. No serious racist - or serious anybody - is ever going to write "my Volkisch powers are blocked", for God's sake.

I don't think you understand just how far up their own asses genuine 100% dedicated Nazis like the SS were. They had all sorts of like pseudo-religious and pseudo-philosophical poo poo going on. Iron Pill is basically Thule Society level occult belief.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rorus Raz posted:

They just claim that dating methods are inaccurate or scientists straight up lie about results.

One of the best is claiming that fundamental constants of the universe have changed dramatically over time. They never came up with an answer for how things worked when things were that different, but hey!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

xthetenth posted:

One of the best is claiming that fundamental constants of the universe have changed dramatically over time. They never came up with an answer for how things worked when things were that different, but hey!
"It was a different time, a better time."
"Yeah...I don't really think physics or chemistry had a 'good old days.'"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

The ones I've met in real life just say that the devil put that carbon-14 there, I mean he's the devil so obviously he does a lot of poo poo with radiation like nuclear bombs and cancer so he's pretty good at it.

I really had them explain it that way to me once, in person.

EDIT: Not just an average shmuck, a youth pastor / priest / whatever the hell the Baptists call them. Who was talking to a bunch of little kids about the lies of science, and I was there observing with a friend who goes there regularly because his parents make him. I, being a smug gently caress teen atheist jackass, ask why he thinks evolution is incompatible with God, and I get a bunch of stares from everyone and a "you still believe in evolution?" from him. We get into an argument (which apparently he had been wanting to do for a while and enjoyed greatly) and the little kids had a bunch of questions and seemed like they had never encountered anyone who ever challenged or questioned anything they had been taught and that made me kinda depressed. It sort of ended with a draw since he had all the usual cop-out half-answers and I wasn't exactly prepared but all-in-all it was very friendly and he invited me back to do it again some time.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 19, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

InequalityGodzilla posted:

"It was a different time, a better time."
"Yeah...I don't really think physics or chemistry had a 'good old days.'"

They certainly did. For the first, what, 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds after the Big Bang, things worked very strangely.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I don't think you understand just how far up their own asses genuine 100% dedicated Nazis like the SS were. They had all sorts of like pseudo-religious and pseudo-philosophical poo poo going on. Iron Pill is basically Thule Society level occult belief.

There's that, and there's also an element of adopting internet feminist rhetoric combined with modern chan-speak. You take the "I spermjacked 20 dudes and collected their male tears for the femperial bath" and combine it with [url="https://"http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/spaghetti-stories"]spaghetti[/url] and this and you end up with that stuff.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Mister Adequate posted:

They certainly did. For the first, what, 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000001 seconds after the Big Bang, things worked very strangely.

6000 years ago was a strange time indeed. :smugdog:

Creationists seem to be experts at changing the goal posts to allow for their beliefs to exist. The god of the gaps seems a rather flimsy realm to exist in.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Rorus Raz posted:

Actually, Lietha draws the forbidden fruit in fairly consistent manner.

Looks like swollen grapes, but he always depicts it that way.

Twelve by Pies posted:

He probably has a thing against depicting the forbidden fruit as an actual fruit that we're familiar with, likely due to similar reasons for his crusade against most depictions of the ark.

Might be an attempt at a pomegranate, since that's what the Fruit is often said to have actually been? Either way, given his insanely literalist view of the Bible, I imagine he does indeed see depicting it as an apple as tantamount to apostasy and further evidence of the sin-cursed nature of the world.

Hitler B. Natural fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 19, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

xthetenth posted:

My favorite of these argument is Andrew Schlafly's* insistence that instead of inter-body gravity being inversely proportional to the square of distance, it's inversely proportional to the distance raised to an exponent that is almost, but not quite, 2, because this somehow allows for a young earth.

*Admin of Conservapedia, which the Wikipedia of whatever alternative reality inspires most thread regulars.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
He needs an intervention.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kajeesus posted:

My favorite of these argument is Andrew Schlafly's* insistence that instead of inter-body gravity being inversely proportional to the square of distance, it's inversely proportional to the distance raised to an exponent that is almost, but not quite, 2, because this somehow allows for a young earth.

*Admin of Conservapedia, which the Wikipedia of whatever alternative reality inspires most thread regulars.

Andy Schlafly is amazing. He's out-freep'd JimRob. I'm pretty sure that the number of people involved with Conservapedia and the Conservative Bible Project is less than a dozen since everyone else has been eliminated or left for failing the Andy Schlafly purity tests.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

It's like a depoliticised political-PFB.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

To be fair, this isn't directly because of his belief in a young earth. It's because he believes the theory of relativity is false, and that almost-2 exponent explains all the things that are supposedly evidence of relativity.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

This is such a bizarre fixation

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Anything to validate their fantasy.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

"How dare cartoons depict anything in an inaccurate manner for the sake of saving space?" - A cartoonist who regularly draws people with 1:4 head:body proportions.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Amarkov posted:

To be fair, this isn't directly because of his belief in a young earth. It's because he believes the theory of relativity is false, and that almost-2 exponent explains all the things that are supposedly evidence of relativity.

But he disbelieves relativity because it indicates that the universe is more than 6,000 years old. It's not always easy to pin the roots of his bizarre beliefs, but I think biblical literalism is a safe bet.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Top-Tier Kelly

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Top-Tier Kelly

Amazing

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Top-Tier Kelly

You gotta give me the fangs. I gotta have the fangs, 'cause he's not gonna be scary without those fangs.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Man, the Charlie Hebdo thing just won't end. That said, here's an interesting article:

quote:

More than four out of 10 French people believe Charlie Hebdo was wrong to publish cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed because they offend Muslims.
France is deeply divided over the controversial cartoons, which have prompted a national debate about the limits of free speech.

A poll released on Sunday by the Journal du Dimanche newspaper showed 42 per cent of respondents find the cartoons unacceptable, while 57 per cent believe the satirical magazine was right to disregard the opinions of Muslims who find them offensive.

Three-quarters of far-Left supporters agree with Charlie Hebdo’s no-holds-barred approach to poking fun at religion, while 51 per cent of those who back the centre-right party of the former president, Nicolas Sarkozy, think the magazine went too far.

The poll revealed that women and people under 35 were most sensitive to Muslims’ concerns.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Top-Tier Kelly

Kelly attacking the reall hard-hitting issues as usual.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Top-Tier Kelly

I like the comma after Elitist on the jacket

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Top-Tier Kelly

The anti-USA trucker cap is the icing on the cake.

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The giraffe skeletons poking out the little ark chimney though... :psyduck:

Has anyone posted Tony Auth before? He worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer for 40 years and won a Pulitzer prize apparently. He died last year in September and I don't remember seeing anything about it. This is just a random sample from GIS. His elephants were cute :3:

Apparently his first cartoon after Obama's election:

He was still making political cartoons up to his death at 72 years old. Some of his newer ones:

This looks like the last one he posted on his site:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mister Beeg posted:

Man, the Charlie Hebdo thing just won't end. That said, here's an interesting article:

More than four out of 10 French people believe Charlie Hebdo was wrong to publish cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed because they offend Muslims.
France is deeply divided over the controversial cartoons, which have prompted a national debate about the limits of free speech.

A poll released on Sunday by the Journal du Dimanche newspaper showed 42 per cent of respondents find the cartoons unacceptable, while 57 per cent believe the satirical magazine was right to disregard the opinions of Muslims who find them offensive.

Three-quarters of far-Left supporters agree with Charlie Hebdo’s no-holds-barred approach to poking fun at religion, while 51 per cent of those who back the centre-right party of the former president, Nicolas Sarkozy, think the magazine went too far.

The poll revealed that women and people under 35 were most sensitive to Muslims’ concerns.
Thinking Charlie made a mistake publishing images of Mohammed is a world different than requesting the government stop them from publishing them. It's the latter that I want to know people's feelings about.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

angelfisher posted:

Has anyone posted Tony Auth before? He worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer for 40 years and won a Pulitzer prize apparently. He died last year in September and I don't remember seeing anything about it. This is just a random sample from GIS. His elephants were cute :3:

Apparently his first cartoon after Obama's election:

He was still making political cartoons up to his death at 72 years old. Some of his newer ones:

This looks like the last one he posted on his site:

These are amazing.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

What a cliffhanger!

Jesus, Mallard…. why do we have to Google something different for every panel??

On a completely unrelated note, is the Day by Day website down or something? For some reason I have not been able to access it for days (blank page, no message).

As to why I would even want to, well, I happen to be a complete and total rear end in a top hat.

Death Ray fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 19, 2015

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

angelfisher posted:

drat, we kinda hosed up missing out on this guy.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

1Of course Branco runs with this on MLK day.

2 uh :staredog:

3 I too fear the coming racial holy war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

colonel_korn posted:

3 I too fear the coming racial holy war

As a huge nerd this makes me more angry that it should for reasons I'd probably be embarrassed to enumerate.

• Locked thread