Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Shot in the dark, as the show's on hiatus and the thread's probably dead now, but do any of you know a good episode to snatch a nice, clean screencap/shot of Henry's Once Upon a Time book? I have a family member who promised to make me an ipad cover with whatever I chose as the image in the front and I'd love to be lugging around that book. But all I can find on a quick google search is a pretty small image and a lot of slanted screencaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pan Dulce posted:

Shot in the dark, as the show's on hiatus and the thread's probably dead now, but do any of you know a good episode to snatch a nice, clean screencap/shot of Henry's Once Upon a Time book? I have a family member who promised to make me an ipad cover with whatever I chose as the image in the front and I'd love to be lugging around that book. But all I can find on a quick google search is a pretty small image and a lot of slanted screencaps.

I don't know off the top of my head, but the book was featured most heavily in S1. I would just poke around in the first handful of episodes if I were you.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Should we have a new thread for the new half-season?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

Only if this one gets enough inactivity to fall off the front page by then, I think. It's pretty low traffic, there's probably no need for a new thread.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bicyclops posted:

Only if this one gets enough inactivity to fall off the front page by then, I think. It's pretty low traffic, there's probably no need for a new thread.
It'll be back in two months anyway, it's not like all of a sudden the thread will get archived anytime soon.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Andrew_1985 posted:

I like that the entire series has been contained in this one thread. Plus it makes things easier for Johnny-watch-latelys.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Just marathoned Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. I have to say, you don't really need it to watch Once Upon a Time, but it really helps round out Will Scarlet's story. I saw this past season of Once Upon a Time and didn't really get why Scarlet was there. I mean, we already have Robin for a thief with a heart of gold, why add another guy, whose role in the classic Sherwood Forest tales amounts to just another Merry Man and a copy of Robin, and a pretty lame, albeit funny one, at that? Wonderland answers why, gives you a reason to like the idiot, and adds more depth to his words in Storybrooke. Now I kind of look forward to learning more about him.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
Watching wonderland now, this happens during season three? I just saw Robin Hood with the correct actor so I figure it's the first half?

Edit: I'm on episode 10 and I'm really not liking the genie guy. I don't feel the chemistry with him and Alice at all, she has more with Scarlett. I know there are a few episodes left so it may change but he's kind if a tool.

Edit 2: ok less of a tool. I agree I now like Will Scarlet much more but how did he end up in Storybrook both times and where is the Queen? And time travel a little bit visiting Storybrook? I feel like I missed something. Then again with this show that is common :)

Bunnita fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 14, 2015

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Bunnita posted:

Watching wonderland now, this happens during season three? I just saw Robin Hood with the correct actor so I figure it's the first half?

Edit: I'm on episode 10 and I'm really not liking the genie guy. I don't feel the chemistry with him and Alice at all, she has more with Scarlett. I know there are a few episodes left so it may change but he's kind if a tool.

Edit 2: ok less of a tool. I agree I now like Will Scarlet much more but how did he end up in Storybrook both times and where is the Queen? And time travel a little bit visiting Storybrook? I feel like I missed something. Then again with this show that is common :)

I think the current theory is that Wonderland takes place sometime after the events currently happening in Once Upon a Time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Merlinicus posted:

I think the current theory is that Wonderland takes place sometime after the events currently happening in Once Upon a Time.

I don't understand where this theory came from. The creators have been pretty clear that they are going to explain how he got there and there have been several indications, both thematically and timeline-wise, which indicate that it's post-Wonderland.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Somewhere in an interview, they said Wonderland (apart from the wedding) happened alongside season 2. The storm when Rabbit visits Scarlet at the diner is the one when the Wraith was summoned to kill Regina. As for him appearing in Storybrook the first time BEFORE Wonderland begins, it mentions 1st episode he asked Rabbit to dig him out of Wonderland; Rabbit thought to escape the debts of Caterpillar, real reason to avoid being reminded of the Red Queen. The writers have also mentioned that the Victorian era Alice originates from, where her insane asylum and father live, coexist with Storybrook's time. It's another world; the writer's didn't want to be bothered with time travel, so they just created it as a separate world.

Now, we know the Knave has his heart this last season half, otherwise the Shattered Sight spell wouldn't have affected him. But, in the Wonderland book, he stares at a picture of the Red Queen as opposed to flipping around for a picture of the White Queen. Meaning, most likely, the events of Alice getting married to Cyrus and creating the book, or Anastasia turning into the White Queen and Knave into White King haven't happened. So I'm guessing it's between that time that they beat Jafar and Alice getting married.

What I want to know is what the Scarlet lost, why he was digging around. Obviously not his heart, reasoning mentioned above AND his quite impassioned speech to Robin about love.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 14, 2015

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I don't understand where this theory came from. The creators have been pretty clear that they are going to explain how he got there and there have been several indications, both thematically and timeline-wise, which indicate that it's post-Wonderland.

It comes from people who are only watching the show and trying to piece things together directly from the narrative hints that we are given. The writers have given more information in interviews (see above post), but not everybody is paying that close attention to everything the writers say. I'd actually like to read that interview myself if anyone has a link on hand, but I'm not dedicated enough to go searching for it right now. Maybe later, when I have more time to devote to figuring this show out.

The thing about this show (and I love this about it) is that they give a lot of hints about what has happened and when, but the viewer really has to pay a lot of attention because they're very subtle. I call it Twice Upon a Time sometimes because I usually watch each episode twice as it comes out to find the little hints and quips that I missed the first time. Wonderland, on the other hand, I might eventually watch again, but have better things to do than sit through it just to look for hints. Someone who liked it more will surely catch more of the subtleties.

I would say that IF it was the writers' goal to have the majority of viewers figure out that Wonderland happened alongside season 2 (and not alongside season 3 when it was aired, which is more common for spin-offs) based solely on what we've already been given, then they failed at making enough clear connections between the two. But I suspect that wasn't necessarily their goal. I think they mean for it to become gradually more clear as Will is incorporated into this season. The timeline is, as usual for this show, another mystery to guess at... although it's a great deal more confusing because it's a spin-off and that brings so many more challenges because they have to work against assumptions viewers have and take into account the disparity of knowledge between viewers who watched it and those who didn't.

It's basically optional content for people who already like Once. It's totally unsurprising to me that it didn't get a whole lot of people interested, since the audience was already very limited, and it seems to be the general consensus that it started off really slow. I suspect that the main writers for Once didn't get as involved in Wonderland until closer to the end. The quality of writing for the earlier half of it just wasn't as good.

I personally found it very hard to watch the earlier episodes of Wonderland because I felt like I could never be high enough for it to make sense. But not in the good, shroomy way that Wonderland is supposed to be. It was a failure of setting the scene more than anything else. I expected Wonderland but what I got was Aladdin. Which could have been fine, for this show, IF they had really made the setting feel enough like it was actually Wonderland to balance out the strength of those out-of-place characters.

I really think that world-building is the number one weakness of the Once writers in general. Storybrooke is great, but Misthaven didn't even get a name until season 4. It was just sort of a random forest with magic, and nothing specific to distinguish any of the places within it. It's worked well enough for a while, because it's a character-driven show and having some mystery to the enchanted forest served it well for a while, but it's really getting to the point where the world itself needs to be developed more.

Jithendra fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 15, 2015

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Holy poo poo, Bo Peep was Calamity Jane from Deadwood. :monocle:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0917848/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t11

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mad Dragon posted:

She needed to call Anna and charming a bunch of loving cocksuckers

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't watch Wonderland, and all I heard was that Knave and Red Queen lived happily ever after. Seems like a reasonable assumption at that point :shrug:

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

So this appeared on the ABC Once Upon a Time Facebook page:

With the caption, "Something magical is coming on Friday. Tease 1 of 4... #OnceUponATime"
What do you all think it means?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Looks to me like Thor will be visiting the Enchanted Forrest.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012
My guess is Marvel's publishing another graphic novel. They already did one before called Shadow of the Queen.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Mad Dragon posted:

She was also in Sons of Anarchy

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Parlett316 posted:

She was also in Sons of Anarchy

...and Lost. Small part, but definitely a double take type of moment for me.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are going to Storybrooke. Let's see what wacky adventures happen between Regina, Emma and COULSON!?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Truxton posted:

My guess is Marvel's publishing another graphic novel. They already did one before called Shadow of the Queen.

Seems you're right, if these tweets are spoiling the fun early.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

How about this story of stupidity to keep us warm during the hiatus?

It just dawned on me yesterday while watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates with my son that our Hook calling Gold "Crocodile" in fact is part of canon. Only took me four seasons and a show on the Disney channel to make the connection!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Kelly posted:

How about this story of stupidity to keep us warm during the hiatus?

It just dawned on me yesterday while watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates with my son that our Hook calling Gold "Crocodile" in fact is part of canon. Only took me four seasons and a show on the Disney channel to make the connection!

...Seriously? Why did you think he called him that?
Also, my husband and I don't get Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I thought in Neverland all kids were Lost Boys (or something) and all adults were pirates? Aren't they enemies? Why are these kids aspiring to be pirates?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Here's some other Easter Eggs you may have missed:

Regina has an apple tree because she used an apple to poison Snow White.
Belle is the titular Beauty from Beauty and the Beast and she is/was dating Rumpelstiltskin who is, by all accounts, a beast.
Elsa letting go of her anxiety is a reference to the song "Let it go" from the Disney cartoon Frozen.
Ursula should feel at home at the aquarium because she is actually a giant squid.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

foxatee posted:

...Seriously? Why did you think he called him that?
Also, my husband and I don't get Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I thought in Neverland all kids were Lost Boys (or something) and all adults were pirates? Aren't they enemies? Why are these kids aspiring to be pirates?

Haha...yes. I figured he called him that because his skin was all hosed up and scaly from the gold.

After OUAT and its Peter Pan treatmentI can't even watch Jake. I keep thinking Jake and his friends are murderous thugs.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Belle is the titular Beauty from Beauty and the Beast and she is/was dating Rumpelstiltskin who is, by all accounts, a beast.
Elsa letting go of her anxiety is a reference to the song "Let it go" from the Disney cartoon Frozen.
Ursula should feel at home at the aquarium because she is actually a giant squid.

:psyboom:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

So what you're saying is all of these people are characters from fairy tales? Interesting. :allears:

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I was wondering why Robin and his crew were living in the woods

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think, and I may be going out an a limb here, that Snow calls David "Charming" as a reference to the titular prince from the Snow White story.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

So, just putting WAY more thought into this than the creators of the show and its subsequent writers probably ever did...

But what are the mechanics of "True Love"? Apparently, it's drat rare, if the strands of Charming and Snow create a huge drat powerful spell, not to mention the Savior that defies a lot of rules (heart stealing and curse breaking among them). Lord knows every bad guy, from Rumpelstiltskin, Cora, Regina, and Zelena all laud their particular relationship and it's markedly True Love and products thereof: Emma and baby Neal.

So... are Cinderella (Ashley) and Prince Thomas (Sean) true love? Is Ariel and Eric? Hell, pixie dust shows Regina that Robin's her "True Love."

Does True Love deny previous loves? Like Regina's Daniel or Robin's Marian? Furthermore, True Love is supposed to be able to break any curse. We see that with Snow and Charming and, in Wonderland, with Anastasia and Will. So... why does Emma's kiss break the Woodsman's curse, but not her perspective on the whole town being a bunch of fairytale characters? Not to mention, and just spoiler tagging in case you haven't read the comic "Shadow of the Queen," which is apparently canon, Snow hints that the Woodsman is Red's True Love and Red blushes and nods and the Woodsman just kind of stoically accepts it. Was Emma's True Love the Woodsman or could she break it because he loved her, or just because she's a curse-breaking, product of True Love, Savior?

Do you have multiple True Loves? That why Henry get a True Love's kiss from both his moms? So why is it still so drat rare?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not reading this thread right now but I've almost finished season 1 and this show is SO GODDAMN FRUSTRATING AND SLOW but I can't help myself I love it. It's basically a 201x soap opera with good production values and I want to hate it and the fact everyone cries practically ever goddamn scene but even so...

Emma is very tiring (just suck it up and deal crybaby, her not listening to the evidence in front of her is extremely frustrating)
Henry is cool
Rumplestiltskin is entertaining
Regina is a bitch. gently caress her.

So I guess it's pretty good if I'm gettin MadAboutTVCharacters.

Edit: I do have a question though, when should I watch the spinoff?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not reading this thread right now but I've almost finished season 1 and this show is SO GODDAMN FRUSTRATING AND SLOW but I can't help myself I love it. It's basically a 201x soap opera with good production values and I want to hate it and the fact everyone cries practically ever goddamn scene but even so...

Emma is very tiring (just suck it up and deal crybaby, her not listening to the evidence in front of her is extremely frustrating)
Henry is cool

About halfway through season 3 is when it aired. I think it's probably fine to watch it at the end of season 3. It's not particularly good in my opinion, although it gets a little better toward the end of it.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Henry is cool

I had a similar problem early on - I watched the first half of season one when it aired, but then just started to lose interest. I binge watched it all over it again before the beginning of last season, and it went much better as it got further along.

It's a nice change from some of the other stuff I watch which tends to be a bit heavier, Mad Men, GoT, BB (when it was on) - much lighter fare. A palette cleanser.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hell yeah tomorrow night is Once Upon a Time night! Finally!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Cruella has some serious halitosis.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Holy poo poo, Rumple was the professor Belle was e-mailing. That marvelous son of a bitch set this up as a contingency plan.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
So is the Jabberwock supposed to be the huge black dude from Fantasia because he sure looks like it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

GLOSS posted:

So is the Jabberwock supposed to be the huge black dude from Fantasia because he sure looks like it...

That was my first thought, as well.

• Locked thread