Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you play the Sage & Rosa card in tag climax and one of the PCs is Rosa, the enemies will be Jeanne and Bayo instead. I thought that was a cool little touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pomp posted:

They mentioned wanting to do a 3ds thing about Jeanne years ago

It would be pretty hilarious if Nintendo ends up funding a New 3DS only Bayonetta game to get the same Bayonetta fans that bought a Wii U to buy a New 3DS.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Anyone have any tips for chapter 3? I seem to have more trouble with this chapter than any other in the whole game, I'm just not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong? I can't hit these guys most of the fight.

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

To build your combo never let go of the fire button (Y), when you get to the bit where you're flying towards the Gates of Paradiso you can close the gap between you and whichever Glamour you're fighting by pressing the jump button; Bayo will dash towards the enemy. Anything specific you're having trouble with?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Excelsior posted:

by pressing the jump button; Bayo will dash towards the enemy.

That's all I needed; thanks man!

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Finally started up on my Bayo 1+2 pack. Bayonetta 1 actually exceeded my expectations which were unreasonably high to begin with, however I could really do without the collapsing bridge events that seem to be in every level. They're annoying to to deal with, you don't really know if you're supposed to make them or wait for a QTE and failing them costs a continue, which means a stone rank at the end even if I did all the combat verses with gold/platinum, unless I redo the level since they also tend to show up at the end. My only other complaint would be how slowly the ring accumulation goes, saving up for the parry amulet since I read that it's good and at this rate I'll have it past the first half of the game without buying anything else at all except the occasional green lollipop (scoring every single consumable use against you on the stage score screen is also kind of dickish).

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 5, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
A continue only costs you one rank at the end. You must be missing hidden verses, that's what's bringing down your score.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I am missing a single witch heart piece and it's completely killed my will to keep playing. I'll jump online and be all excited to throw down with Baldur or Rosa and then notice every other person I play with has the maximum amount of health and feel like a loving idiot. It's a small thing but gently caress.

What's worse is I've already done the thing where you sit there with a laptop next to you watching youtube clips of all the locations, going to each one in time with the video, and I still somehow missed something.

It's been at least a month or two since I last played. Thinking of jumping back in tonight and going through the story again on another item hunt.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Totalizator posted:

My only other complaint would be how slowly the ring accumulation goes, saving up for the parry amulet since I read that it's good and at this rate I'll have it past the first half of the game without buying anything else at all except the occasional green lollipop (scoring every single consumable use against you on the stage score screen is also kind of dickish).
You definitely want at least air dodge and bat within before the Moon. Probably Selene's Light too unless you want to be platinuming everything your first time through the game.

The game is balanced for not actually using items. Try to forget they exist. Since all damage is avoidable they're never necessary.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

notZaar posted:

A continue only costs you one rank at the end. You must be missing hidden verses, that's what's bringing down your score.

Well, it usually takes me two to three failiures before i get down a QTE that's giving me trouble, meaning that it's either stone right off the bat or one failiure on something like Grace and Glory (that 80% hp air juggle is brutal). The game is definitely replayable so I'm going to fix these stones on my second playthrough but it's still frustrating.

Sindai posted:

You definitely want at least air dodge and bat within before the Moon. Probably Selene's Light too unless you want to be platinuming everything your first time through the game.

The game is balanced for not actually using items. Try to forget they exist. Since all damage is avoidable they're never necessary.

I got the air dodge (learned my lesson in w101) but the other moves seemed... not essential, while nice. I'll pick up the bat ASAP since I'm still like 8k halos away from the Moon.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Totalizator posted:

Well, it usually takes me two to three failiures before i get down a QTE that's giving me trouble, meaning that it's either stone right off the bat or one failiure on something like Grace and Glory (that 80% hp air juggle is brutal). The game is definitely replayable so I'm going to fix these stones on my second playthrough but it's still frustrating.

I got the air dodge (learned my lesson in w101) but the other moves seemed... not essential, while nice. I'll pick up the bat ASAP since I'm still like 8k halos away from the Moon.

you can dodge out of that air juggle. I always buy all extra moves as soon as I can in this sort of game, but if you're really desperate to get accessories there's a boss you can grind for huge amounts of halos the tornado at the airfield one, equip lightning claws and never let your combo end. with liberal use of guns and panther you can get the whole boss in one combo

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

you can dodge out of that air juggle. I always buy all extra moves as soon as I can in this sort of game, but if you're really desperate to get accessories there's a boss you can grind for huge amounts of halos the tornado at the airfield one, equip lightning claws and never let your combo end. with liberal use of guns and panther you can get the whole boss in one combo

I actually just killed that boss a moment ago, he was kind of a pushover compared to Fortitudo but the fight gets tons of style points for the finishing sequence.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Totalizator posted:

Alright well as soon as you get the Moon that juggle wont be a problem anymore. Keep on truckin!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Bat within is essential, it adds one frame to the default dodge window (which is 5 frames).

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This might be a tiny bit off-topic, but I just got The Eyes of Bayonetta and it's great. It's an art book for the first game but what is really cool are all the little captions filled with behind-the-scenes stuff and anecdotes about the creation of the game from Kamiya and others. It might the best art book I've seen for those alone. It's also cool seeing things made for Bayonetta 1 that were used in 2.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just loaded up Bayonetta 1 Hard Mode and Jesus Christ, did they just spawn Grace, Glory, and Fairness in the Prologue?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

alcharagia posted:

I just loaded up Bayonetta 1 Hard Mode and Jesus Christ, did they just spawn Grace, Glory, and Fairness in the Prologue?

Yes, it's why harder difficulties are more fun!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
torture attacks on infinitely spawning glories, huh

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You can select any chapter you want. I would recommend skipping the prologue to save your sanity.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

alcharagia posted:

I forgot, do Gracious and Glorious show up in Normal mode at all, or just hard mode?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Count Uvula posted:

I forgot, do Gracious and Glorious show up in Normal mode at all, or just hard mode?

They pop up at the very last level if I recall correctly.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Theta Zero posted:

They pop up at the very last level if I recall correctly.

Also in act 10 I think?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Gracious and Glorious are given a completely fanfare-less introduction in Chapter 10. Other than not getting Witch Time off their attacks, I still have no idea what the difference is.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

alcharagia posted:

Gracious and Glorious are given a completely fanfare-less introduction in Chapter 10. Other than not getting Witch Time off their attacks, I still have no idea what the difference is.

I believe (could be wrong here) they also have the animation speed of Hard even in Normal difficulty.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

notZaar posted:

You can select any chapter you want. I would recommend skipping the prologue to save your sanity.

The prologue is ranked. The thing that isn't ranked is called records of time.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Peewi posted:

The prologue is ranked. The thing that isn't ranked is called records of time.

Yeah, so? Skip it, it's way harder than the following chapters. It's just a "gently caress you haha welcome to hard mode bitch". You can come back to it later.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Whyyyyyy is there a crow in an Alfheim

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

notZaar posted:

Yeah, so? Skip it, it's way harder than the following chapters. It's just a "gently caress you haha welcome to hard mode bitch". You can come back to it later.

I didn't realise I could skip anything. When I first started hard I remember thinking "what the fu..."

The worst part was that if I'd been sensible I would have just gone into it with two full magic bars and just flattened 2 of them instantly but nooooo I had to start with zero magic.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SurrealityCheck posted:

I didn't realise I could skip anything. When I first started hard I remember thinking "what the fu..."

The worst part was that if I'd been sensible I would have just gone into it with two full magic bars and just flattened 2 of them instantly but nooooo I had to start with zero magic.

Just swallow your pride and use those purple lollipops.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Just swallow your pride and use those purple lollipops.

It is many moons in the past now. I can but curse past me for his foolish pride : (

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Just beat this game today (after beating the first one a few days ago...) and hot drat this game is great. Absolutely loved the W101 references, especially when you summon what is almost literally Vijounne to kill an angel using a Valiantium Blade.

And man does Platinum love using that giant satellite cannon. Can't really blame them though, it is awesome.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I guess I don't understand how Bayo 1 saves progress. I've been slowly working my way through Chapter 5 over the past few weeks. The last time I played I found an Alfheim Portal that took me to a Grace and Glory fight that limits me to using 10 punches and 7 kicks. I don't remember finishing that, I remember putting the game down and saving that for later. When I turned it on last night I couldn't find the Alfheim Portal so I thought I must have gone back a bit so I kept playing the game but I don't think I lost any progress. Either the game put me at a point beyond the portal or I missed it, it doesn't really matter.

I kept playing until I got to a Jeanne fight and I just couldn't do it. So I saved my progress to that point in another save slot because I wanted to look for the Alfheim portal this morning. Jokes on me, both of my saves are now at the very beginning of Chapter 5. The one I loaded to last night that was 3/4 through the level is back at the beginning and so is the new slot I created last night, the only difference being the first one has about 20k less halos and I have the Dirge claws. What the gently caress happened? I don't want to repeat whatever mistake I made again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Xad posted:

Just beat this game today (after beating the first one a few days ago...) and hot drat this game is great. Absolutely loved the W101 references, especially when you summon what is almost literally Vijounne to kill an angel using a Valiantium Blade.

And man does Platinum love using that giant satellite cannon. Can't really blame them though, it is awesome.

For the record Madame Butterfly came before W101 :v:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Bayo has a checkpoint system per system user. You can also do a manual save at the chapter select screen.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

For the record Madame Butterfly came before W101 :v:

I figured as much, but I didn't remember seeing her in Bayonetta 1. Still, they definitely picked Madame Butterfly to be the murder QTE for Valiance for a reason.

I always like how Platinum references their other games like that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Madam Butterfly never fully appears in Bayo but you can see her concept art in the gallery and her silhouette is Bayos shadow.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

notZaar posted:

Madam Butterfly never fully appears in Bayo but you can see her concept art in the gallery and her silhouette is Bayos shadow.

And every Wicked Weave attack is, in fact, her arms and legs as well.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I guess I don't understand how Bayo 1 saves progress. I've been slowly working my way through Chapter 5 over the past few weeks. The last time I played I found an Alfheim Portal that took me to a Grace and Glory fight that limits me to using 10 punches and 7 kicks. I don't remember finishing that, I remember putting the game down and saving that for later. When I turned it on last night I couldn't find the Alfheim Portal so I thought I must have gone back a bit so I kept playing the game but I don't think I lost any progress. Either the game put me at a point beyond the portal or I missed it, it doesn't really matter.

I kept playing until I got to a Jeanne fight and I just couldn't do it. So I saved my progress to that point in another save slot because I wanted to look for the Alfheim portal this morning. Jokes on me, both of my saves are now at the very beginning of Chapter 5. The one I loaded to last night that was 3/4 through the level is back at the beginning and so is the new slot I created last night, the only difference being the first one has about 20k less halos and I have the Dirge claws. What the gently caress happened? I don't want to repeat whatever mistake I made again.

Bayonetta has two kinds of saves. There's the kind when you manually save the game at the chapter screen and there's mid-chapter checkpoints the game makes in case you die so you don't lose your progress.

It sounds like you're either quitting to the chapter select screen when you quit or loading from a save point when you start up again instead of just continuing from your last checkpoint. You want Play > Continue, not Play > Load Game. If you've got multiple saves for your game it'll simply load from the slot you last played from.

You've been using the save system wrong hth

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Can someone explain to me how Balder functions in Tag Climax? I wanna rep him because he's my second-favorite character (only beaten out by Rodin) and I think he's insanely fabulous, but his moveset is weird and I don't understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The general idea is that his "kicks" are all long range spell stuff, which I think are randomized (except for the finisher stuff) and you can charge them and whatnot. I've seen some people play him really well as a long range character as well as bouncing in and out of close range.

• Locked thread