Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Azran posted:

I wish it was stdh.txt. I am from Argentina so racist jokes and the like are dime a dozen. This guy in particular is 100% Argentinian, but slightly copper skinned instead of totally white. So his nickname is "slave" and "black". Not surprising at all for an Argentinian, and they are tired of me saying it is racist to the point of discrimination talk being vetoed whenever I am around since even the guy in particular is fine with it. gently caress, his girlfriend calls him negro too.
It is a running joke for their group (who have known each other for way longer than I have been in it, they were class mates for year and we are all in our twenties) to always make sure "the Negro dies first".

A 'negro' is any kind of criminal here, matter actual skin colour or ethnicity. A "China Man" is anyone with slanted eyes. A "Jew" is anyone who is cheap and greedy. A "gipsy" is someone who does not wash often, Etc. It annoys me a lot but that is literally every Argentinian I have met. It doesn't help either that they consider Family Guy, 9gag and Adam Sandler to be the paragons of comedy.

Anyways Monopoly and Mafia sucked.

I feel compelled to ask why this guy continues to game with them if he always dies first?

Also, HOLY. poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Man I know those people are your friends and there might be some culture shock here on my part but, sever.

Holy poo poo.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Azran posted:

I wish it was stdh.txt. I am from Argentina so racist jokes and the like are dime a dozen. This guy in particular is 100% Argentinian, but slightly copper skinned instead of totally white. So his nickname is "slave" and "black". Not surprising at all for an Argentinian, and they are tired of me saying it is racist to the point of discrimination talk being vetoed whenever I am around since even the guy in particular is fine with it. gently caress, his girlfriend calls him negro too.
It is a running joke for their group (who have known each other for way longer than I have been in it, they were class mates for year and we are all in our twenties) to always make sure "the Negro dies first".

A 'negro' is any kind of criminal here, matter actual skin colour or ethnicity. A "China Man" is anyone with slanted eyes. A "Jew" is anyone who is cheap and greedy. A "gipsy" is someone who does not wash often, Etc. It annoys me a lot but that is literally every Argentinian I have met. It doesn't help either that they consider Family Guy, 9gag and Adam Sandler to be the paragons of comedy.

Ew.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Azran posted:

Anyways Monopoly and Mafia sucked.

Argentina sounds like a magical place.

For members of StormFront.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The worst part is that it's the best group I've found. Other groups were actually racist or profoundly sexist. In some cases, full of manchildren. The fact that these people don't actually hate black people or women is such an amazing improvement over previous ones I can't over state it, even if they are dumb with stuff like these "jokes".
gently caress, I feel terrible now.

Gimnbo posted:

How many copies of Cards Against Humanity does your group own?

None. They haven't heard about the game.

Some Numbers posted:

I feel compelled to ask why this guy continues to game with them if he always dies first?

Also, HOLY. poo poo.

Because he enjoys the attention and loves the running joke.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Reminder that some countries probably have not gone thought a civil rights movement. There is a reason FIFA has to tell fans to not be racist.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Happy MLK day, everyone!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

sonatinas posted:

Reminder that some countries probably have not gone thought a civil rights movement. There is a reason FIFA has to tell fans to not be racist.

USA is one of the few countries that had a civil right movement. A lot of other developed countries managed to realize that segregation was bad without a massive uproar first.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Happy MLK day, everyone!

Oh wow.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
In tabletop related news, my 7 Wonders + TtR order from Amazon has spent half a month delayed in customs. :toot:

BonHair posted:

USA is one of the few countries that had a civil right movement. A lot of other developed countries managed to realize that segregation was bad without a massive uproar first.

Yeah, Argentina kind of sent the majority of their black population to die during the Triple Alliance War so people are shocked whenever they see a non-white individual. We abolished slavery during the 1800s, and during the last centuries we've all been supposed to be equal but welp.

Anyways, sorry for the derail.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

On a different note, where does the hivemind sit on Clash of Cultures?

You are right, it is not very good. Far, far too fiddly. Mr. Marcussen's games seem to go that way - but somehow, in Merchants and Marauders, I can accept the fiddlin' as part of it being a "board game port" of Sid Meier's Pirates! that lets me and my friends sandbox around doing pirate stuff. I look at M&M these days as a "toy" as opposed to a "game," the former being something you just kind of play with with no particular goals. Like Tales of Arabian Nights. Clash of Cultures, though, is so restrictive and careful with the resources, action economy, technological progress and whatnot that I don't find it conducive to "toy"-level loving around (not to mention playtime), but it's a kind of spaghetti as a "game." I don't think it's balanced well. You can kind of get hosed for no reason sometimes. And it's got that thing where you scrape through the first like three entire game rounds of six, and just as you finally assemble your strategy the game ends.

What's the expansion like though? I'm super curious if we can divine anything about how Marcussen will design the M&M expansion he's promised for so long.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Got a couple 2 player games in of Castles of Mad King Ludwig in on the weekend, and Bruxelles 1893.

Castles is pretty fun, it can be funny seeing how your castles grow and the spatial element is fun trying to figure how to best arrange your rooms. It's a good light game, the master builder mechanic should be more interesting with more players.

Bruxelles is a definite hit for me, it's an amazing worker placement where the mechanics are simple but each choice you make has multiple ramifications since you're also bidding in an auction and competing for area majority at the same time. I really liked how all the different mechanics come together, there's a lot going on with each worker placement but it was surprisingly all tied together very well. Plus it just feels good to play because there are lots of good choices and it's nice getting all the little bonuses from having the other players use your buildings, using the bonus cards to focus your scoring, and manipulating the markets are all just really neat. It can be a little tricky to figure out at first but after the first round it all comes together nicely. Can't wait to try this one again.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SuperKlaus posted:

You are right, it is not very good. Far, far too fiddly. Mr. Marcussen's games seem to go that way - but somehow, in Merchants and Marauders, I can accept the fiddlin' as part of it being a "board game port" of Sid Meier's Pirates! that lets me and my friends sandbox around doing pirate stuff. I look at M&M these days as a "toy" as opposed to a "game," the former being something you just kind of play with with no particular goals. Like Tales of Arabian Nights. Clash of Cultures, though, is so restrictive and careful with the resources, action economy, technological progress and whatnot that I don't find it conducive to "toy"-level loving around (not to mention playtime), but it's a kind of spaghetti as a "game." I don't think it's balanced well. You can kind of get hosed for no reason sometimes. And it's got that thing where you scrape through the first like three entire game rounds of six, and just as you finally assemble your strategy the game ends.

What's the expansion like though? I'm super curious if we can divine anything about how Marcussen will design the M&M expansion he's promised for so long.

It certainly adds some things and sets a distinct direction for the game (makes it more efficient to move on your first turn as well, because the leader fig can scout for you if you want) - but I'm not sure it was helpful to add it without knowing the base game well in the first place.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Given the games they're playing, dying first is probably ideal.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

StashAugustine posted:

Happy MLK day, everyone!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What's the thread consensus on King's Forge? I played a game of it over the weekend and had a pretty fun time, but we only played a single game so didn't really have a lot of time to get a solid read on it.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Last night I dreamed I was at a party where people were playing Cards Against Monopoly: whoever wins the hand of CaH gets to roll the Monopoly dice. I assume it involves money going to Free Parking, but I'm speculating on that part.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Given the games they're playing, dying first is probably ideal.

Right, but why would you continue to attend gatherings if you knew you were going to be eliminated first, no matter what?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Some Numbers posted:

Right, but why would you continue to attend gatherings if you knew you were going to be eliminated first, no matter what?

My wild guess is it's because they're friends.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Some Numbers posted:

Desperate for human interaction in what, based on that post, is a society that openly dehumanizes him?

"Lol he's not actually black, but we note that he almost looks black and use that to assign a variety of pretty horrible nicknames to him it's cool guys"

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

enigmahfc posted:

Argentina sounds like a magical place.

Chimichurri is really delicious.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What a pleasant surprise today :shepface:

I've purchased games out of curiosity before. I'm not above that.

I'm not a real strategy gamer / wargamer so I'll probably be easier to impress / dazzle / bamboozle but it does seem that Petersen put some real effort into it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays. I read the rules PDF some time ago and it looked OK, I liked that there are clear rules with distinct phases. So far so good.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Alright boys, get em.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
You know what's a more exciting than Dominion: Adventures, though? The long-presumed-dead Arctic Scavengers expansion "Recon" (previously titled "Deception") is coming out this year!

This one's a crazy story. So, Dominon comes out in 2008. It's great. Arctic Scavengers comes out in 2009 and takes that deck-building mechanic and fixes two problems with Dominon, adding a fantastic theme and plenty of player interaction. Such is the cycle of life in board gaming.

Except something goes wrong. Arctic Scavengers is forgotten by the market and publisher Rio Grande finds it has thousands of copies gathering dust in its warehouses.

lol

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Azran posted:

In tabletop related news, my 7 Wonders + TtR order from Amazon has spent half a month delayed in customs. :toot:

Yeah, Argentina kind of sent the majority of their black population to die during the Triple Alliance War so people are shocked whenever they see a non-white individual. We abolished slavery during the 1800s, and during the last centuries we've all been supposed to be equal but welp.

Anyways, sorry for the derail.

Now you make me think an Archipelago style game concerning the Beagle channel conflict needs to be made. Well, you could always introduce your group to Diplomacy but Latin American countries instead.

Vos sos !

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

One of the managers at my job is Colombian and I'm embarrased to admit all my knowledge of Columbia is from Andean Abyss.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

StashAugustine posted:

One of the managers at my job is Colombian and I'm embarrased to admit all my knowledge of Columbia is from Andean Abyss.
Better than not knowing anything at all :shrug:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played Transamerica. Verdict: I still prefer to play TtR rather than Transamerica.

Also played Port Royal. Almost entirely luck-based. Lost two turns after I got unlucky and drawing the same colour ships on my first two draws. It's alright as a filler? Not much there tbh.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

You can learn a lot about Columbia from Modern Families.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tekopo posted:

Played Transamerica. Verdict: I still prefer to play TtR rather than Transamerica.

Also played Port Royal. Almost entirely luck-based. Lost two turns after I got unlucky and drawing the same colour ships on my first two draws. It's alright as a filler? Not much there tbh.

Yeah, fun filler basically defines Port Royal. it's good at what it does, but what it does is neither deep nor long.

We've tended towards Love Letter as our current fun filler though, because the components are some drat minimal. I've been meaning to invest in a copy just to keep in my bag in case I'm with a group of bored people.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Played Copycat for the first time last night. Cool blend of deckbuilding, worker placement, and TTA's market row, though I unfortunately got a major rule wrong. Also played Bunny Bunny Moose Moose, game still owns.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

We've tended towards Love Letter as our current fun filler though, because the components are some drat minimal. I've been meaning to invest in a copy just to keep in my bag in case I'm with a group of bored people.

Lost Legacy is the new Love Letter.

It uses the exact same setup, a set of 16 or whatever cards, numbered in the corners, hand of 1, draw 1 play 1. The only difference is that instead of winning if you survive and have the highest card, pulling the last card starts the 'investigation phase'. Because either someone has the Lost Legacy card, or it's face down in the discarded 'ruins' pile. You start counting up from 1, if someone has that card number they make a guess of where it is. Flip over the card, if it's the Lost Legacy, they win! Otherwise, continue onto the next number. It's possible no one wins if no one finds it. There's a lot of reverse psychology going on, because a lot of the cards have the 'swap/notswap' effect from Mascarade, where you take two cards, put them under the table and return one of them to wherever it came from. So if someone knew where the Lost Legacy was, now they might not be so sure. Even holding onto it isn't too safe, because it's #5. While you know where it is, you don't get to guess until potentially a few others do, and they can call your hand.

It also has two standalone expansions so far, which are just the same game with a different set of cards.

It's fun, but the card effects aren't as straightforward, so even after playing it half a dozen times, we were still reading the cards because some of them are similar and fiddly.

I like it though, it's something to switch in when you get too many games of Love Letter in. All you have to do is explain the simple investigation phase, and you're off. I'd definitely start new players on Love Letter though, it's simpler. But they're all like $6.50 on CSI, so just grab em all.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Seeing all these people getting in their Cthulhu Wars I'm wondering how the game actually play? I know it's supposed to be like Chaos in the Old World but I wanna see if the gameplay holds up or if it falls through and if it's just a fancy model holder

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
As usual, I'll share my thoughts on the game once I get around to trying it. Neither I nor other people I game with are big wargamers though so my perspective is going to lack depth and I won't be able to compare to e.g. CitoW or Kemet (neither of which I have played) but maybe it'll still be useful.

Last wargames I played were the likes of Warrior Knights and Samurai Swords :haw:

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

CodfishCartographer posted:

What's the thread consensus on King's Forge? I played a game of it over the weekend and had a pretty fun time, but we only played a single game so didn't really have a lot of time to get a solid read on it.

I bought it out of curiosity and it's not too bad. Good component quality, easy to explain, doesn't overstay it's welcome. I backed the expansion recently because it looks like it could add some depth, but I'm not unhappy with the base game by any means.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Not speaking for the thread consensus, but I quite liked it. Good blend of role selection and engine building, and it uses dice rolls for good not evil.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Saw a bad post in Games and it reminded me of the struggles we've faced here in this thread. Over there they haven't learned that defending a poo poo video game "because you can make your own fun" and fun is subjective is an awful loving defense.

Eonwe posted:

same but ironically

but yo duder, nobody is saying this is a great game, people are saying this is a fun game

there are a lot of fun things to do IF YOU ARE GOOD AT MAKING YOUR OWN FUN

its basically a zombie sandbox story generator

like Blazing Zero seems to be the chief of the Pleasant Valley PD, we have opti the driver with a heart of gold and a foot of lead, we run in the middle of the night across the map in the rain to a base with three poo poo shacks and destroy it and steal all their poo poo

but if you aren't good at finding your own fun or you are running around solo its really boring

It's too perfect a parallel. "Maybe it's not well designed but IT'S FUN", a loving zombie theme, "story generator" and accusing the person pointing out hideous design flaws of just not knowing how to have fun. It's like a super condensed version of every awful argument we've ever had in this thread and it's beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

e: I mean then again it is Eonwe, so maybe it's just trolling delivered in dead pan. But I choose to believe.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 19, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
What are some thoughts on One Night Ultimate Werewolf? I'm going to play it on Friday with around 8 players, is it just going to be garbage?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Let's not import drama from Games of all places, we make enough drama of our own. I also don't think board games and video games can show a 1:1 translation either in terms of that particular debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What are some thoughts on One Night Ultimate Werewolf? I'm going to play it on Friday with around 8 players, is it just going to be garbage?

It's fun. Its better than most of these types of games. Designed by the guy who did Suburbia and Castles of Mad Ludwig. Like a lot of party games and filler, it sort of depends on the players more than the mechanics to have a good time, though