Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Shovel Knight isn't really all that hard until you get to new game +. Then it's really hard.

My one complaint about Shovel Knight's levels is that they're a little long, but that's about it. Each one is probably twice as large as a typical Mega Man level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
i mostly beat shovel knight while on bumpy bus rides feeling car sick so any one can do it if they belief.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If you don't like Shovel Knight then please come to my house so I can whisper "gently caress you" into your ear.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Shovel Knight isn't really all that hard until you get to new game +. Then it's really hard.

My one complaint about Shovel Knight's levels is that they're a little long, but that's about it. Each one is probably twice as large as a typical Mega Man level.

I beat Tower 2 on NG+ and I felt like a strong gamer. Then I found out there are people that break checkpoints and don't use relics in NG+ and I felt weak again.

Shovel Knight can get real drat hard if you want it to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I beat Tower 2 on NG+ and I felt like a strong gamer. Then I found out there are people that break checkpoints and don't use relics in NG+ and I felt weak again.

Shovel Knight can get real drat hard if you want it to.

Shovel Knight absolutely can get hard but that's a good thing about it.

It's designed with self-customizable difficulty. You can break it over your knee with relics or you can do shovel-only runs and break checkpoints and the game is designed with both in mind. You'll absolutely suffer more if you're trying to avoid using relics or potions but "the game is harder when I'm making it harder" is kind of a weird complaint.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Sade posted:

People who like a thing are more willing to forgive its flaws and are more likely to defend it, yes. Conversely, people who do not like the same thing are more likely to ignore its good parts and criticize its flaws.

True, but truly enjoying something also means being willing to critically analyze it and understand and internalize its flaws. Example: I love my Wii U, but if you're looking for a system with lots of FPS games on it then give it a pass because it's sorely lacking in that area.

I know there's a ton of hyperbole in that regard in Games and it's kind of annoying when someone wants to discuss the reasons why they're not enjoying a game and a ton of people pile on them with "no, that game is actually perfect, you're a moron," rather than actually thinking about why that person might have a reason to complain. That's not to say that every criticism is valid, but many are.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Shovel Knight is great. Everyone go buy it.

I'm waiting for the vita version

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Are all of the improvements they're advertising going to be available on WiiU? The game feels at home on Nintendo and I'd very much enjoy additional content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Are all of the improvements they're advertising going to be available on WiiU? The game feels at home on Nintendo and I'd very much enjoy additional content.

Shovel Knight has a number of patches coming for new characters/content so you can assume most upgrades will be included.

Kratos however is going to be Playstation-exclusive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Shovel Knight has a number of patches coming for new characters/content so you can assume most upgrades will be included.

Kratos however is going to be Playstation-exclusive.
Can't wait to play Spawn in the Xbox version

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Quest For Glory II posted:

Can't wait to play Spawn in the Xbox version

Can I make a "I sure hope they add Link to the Nintendo versions" joke without it being too stale?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Shovel Knight for Smash godamnit

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

Shovel Knight for Smash godamnit

I really hope Nintendo is open to the idea, because I'm sure the creators would give them a blank license to do whatever they want with him if it means they can get their guy in Smash. Really easy to imagine a moveset, and just make his special moves different relics. The only issue could be that Shovel Knight is supposed to come out later this year on other consoles as well, although that didn't stop them before with other 3rd Party characters.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Shovel Knight isn't iconic enough to be a 3rd party guest in SSB, the character basically has to be legendary to get in.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm waiting for the vita version

While I respect that you want to buy it lol at getting the vita port instead of the PC, Wii U, or 3DS

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Shovel Knight isn't iconic enough to be a 3rd party guest in SSB, the character basically has to be legendary to get in.

shang tsung for smash

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Ultigonio posted:

Sonic Lost World's first level sucks and is one of my least favorite levels in the game.

Desert Ruins Zone 1 is the only good level in the game.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

PoshAlligator posted:

Why does it suck that they haven't awkwardly mapped motion controls to buttons?

Not being able to use the Wii U Pro Controller in Wii Mode sucks. But this just seems fairly reasonable.

I don't know, I think you should be able to play any of the announced games just fine with the gamepad. The waggle spin in Galaxy 2 could easily be a button, and Metroid Prime would totally work with traditional FPS controls. Uprezzing the games might be a bit more work, but they're charging $20 regularly for these old games so why not?

It's not the worst thing ever, and I'm still going to buy them but it's another half baked idea from Nintendo.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Stop fighting waggle spin it's awesome

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 19, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Galaxy 2 also involves continual use of the pointer. You can't map that to a button.

And the Prime Trilogy would need to be outright reprogrammed to have dual-analog controls instead of a pointer. If they were doing that, these games wouldn't be coming out one per week at $10/$20.

The only game announced so far that could be minimally tweaked to work on the Gamepad would be DKCR, with shaking mapped to a button press.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Galaxy 2 also involves continual use of the pointer. You can't map that to a button.

Nintendo managed this for the entire Wii U and DS libraries with a touchscreen?

Pointing a controller up and at a screen was a feature that was confirmed as kludgey and awful with Duck Hunt for the NES and triple omega confirmed with the disaster that was Kinect.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You couldn't use the stylus for SMG2 because that would mean taking one hand off the buttons.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

And the Prime Trilogy would need to be outright reprogrammed to have dual-analog controls instead of a pointer. If they were doing that, these games wouldn't be coming out one per week at $10/$20.

The only game announced so far that could be minimally tweaked to work on the Gamepad would be DKCR, with shaking mapped to a button press.

Mapping a waggle to a button press isn't as simple as it sounds. I wouldn't get my hopes up for these being anything other than the base, wii games with almost no differences.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The pointer controls are fine you nubs buy Galaxy 2

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Austrian mook posted:

Mapping a waggle to a button press isn't as simple as it sounds. I wouldn't get my hopes up for these being anything other than the base, wii games with almost no differences.

Nintendo is fuckin us again with yet more half-baked ideas from the lunatic pedophile Japanese.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

While I respect that you want to buy it lol at getting the vita port instead of the PC, Wii U, or 3DS

You mean lol at buying the crossbuy PS3/PS4/Vita version which is adding more features than the other ones and only needs to be bought once to be played across all devices

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Probably more like lol that you own a Vita.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PoshAlligator posted:

Desert Ruins Zone 1 is the only good level in the game.
You're wrong because all the levels in Silent Forest are great.

Austrian mook posted:

Mapping a waggle to a button press isn't as simple as it sounds.
I know just about nothing on the subject, but isn't that exactly what is done for the Classic Controller hack for DKCR? In DKCR, the input is binary, you're shaking or you're not.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

raditts posted:

Probably more like lol that you own a Vita.

We're all posting in the Wii U thread though so we should all be used to spending lots of money on something nobody owns

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You mean lol at buying the crossbuy PS3/PS4/Vita version which is adding more features than the other ones and only needs to be bought once to be played across all devices

I thought they were just adding in the Kratos fight, what else are they including?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The pointer in Galaxy is great and not at all intrusive. If you don't like it that's fine but if you're saying it's clunky you're just raging against motion controls in general and could pick like a million better targets.

Also mapping it to a stick or the touchscreen would make the game literally unplayable.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've got 242 stars twice over in Galaxy 2 and I think in all that, I've maybe done bad spins due to accidental waggles like... twice. The remote is fine.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

That would require me owning 3 bad consoles instead of good ones.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

The Machine posted:

I don't know, I think you should be able to play any of the announced games just fine with the gamepad. The waggle spin in Galaxy 2 could easily be a button, and Metroid Prime would totally work with traditional FPS controls. Uprezzing the games might be a bit more work, but they're charging $20 regularly for these old games so why not?

It's not the worst thing ever, and I'm still going to buy them but it's another half baked idea from Nintendo.

Well, you're not wrong I guess. It would have been cool. But I'm not sure I'd have expected them to add it either.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Machine posted:

and Metroid Prime would totally work with traditional FPS controls.

Yeah it'd work great, but I don't think they're going to add mouse+keyboard support. Best settle for the closest thing with the wiimote.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

zolthorg posted:

Nintendo managed this for the entire Wii U and DS libraries with a touchscreen?

Pointing a controller up and at a screen was a feature that was confirmed as kludgey and awful with Duck Hunt for the NES and triple omega confirmed with the disaster that was Kinect.

I spent a ton of time playing FPSes, On-Rails shooters, and Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii, and can confirm that pointer controls are excellent for those types of games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Umbrella Chronicles was loving sick as hell, speaking of rail shooters.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Do we know if Splatoon will support Wiimote+ and Nunchuk? Gyro controls are great and all, but I need the pointer.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just registered like all my wii games on club nintendo and drat son I got a bunch of points. I got Mario Kart and Kirby's Dreamland 3 for free. Wonder what they're gonna have up tomorrow. poo poo is sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

The Machine posted:

There are plenty of half-baked ideas that you could criticize Nintendo for - like, say, why the hell they didn't just make VC games cross-buy - but making out of print/hard to find Wii games available for digital download at a budget price isn't one of them, IMO. And why the hell would you want to play the Prime games with dual analog instead of pointer controls? (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "traditional FPS controls," because I don't see how you could hook up a kb/mouse to your Wii U.)

• Locked thread