Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Teddybear posted:

I feel like I should have watched an anime to get this.

I have not.

you should watch the anime anyways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JoJo%27s_Bizarre_Adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

Where did the term long play Come from anyways?

As a request what is Retsupraes best stuff? Some of it is lame but there are some good things as well

The stuff by Navigtr called "Gaming in the Clinton Years" always gives me a good laugh.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Teddybear posted:

I feel like I should have watched an anime to get this.

I have not.

Go watch it then, it's called JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and you can watch it on Crunchyroll. It's good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This might be an odd request, but does anyone know a good let's play of Alien Isolation?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

You might get better recommendations if you say which of their videos you've previously enjoyed, because then people could point out others like them.

Oh right doi, I didn't enjoy the Retsufrash's after awhile because they kept making fun of the lovely art and animations, but they did one on Jason and one on some sort of Stephen King thing? and when they really started tearng it apart past the aesthetics it was great.

I've loved the Longplays I've seen, I'm going to watch the Last Alert one right now though, since I hadn't seen it.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
This basically goes without saying, but if you haven't seen their Harvester videos yet, you really should check that out, or at the very least read the LP in the archive.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Turtlicious posted:

I've loved the Longplays I've seen, I'm going to watch the Last Alert one right now though, since I hadn't seen it.

Darkseed 2 is absolutely essential viewing, and King's Quest V and Shadow of Destiny are also really good. I'd avoid Noir and Cobra 3D, just because those games are so dull that there's really not much they can do to make them entertaining.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

It's not exactly Retsupurae but I really enjoyed the VLP of Snatcher that they did. Really, any longplay where Diabeetus goes in blind is great.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fair warning about their Darkseed 2 videos-- if you're watching them and you find yourself uninterested because the game is a horrible, repetitive, boring slog, that's because it is. It all pays off though so stick with it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I really want to make an abridged version to pick up the people who were turned off by the length. The payoff is pretty great.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I dunno, I think the charm of the Darkseed 2 long-play is that it FEELS like how Mike Dawson would've handled things. Going in circles, making no progress, and brute forcing his way through puzzles.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
And pondering in the bathroom.

So much pondering.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

slowbeef posted:

I really want to make an abridged version to pick up the people who were turned off by the length. The payoff is pretty great.

I don't know if the payoff would have been as amazing if I didn't make it through the multiple hours of Dawson wandering in circles.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Never forget tossing the ring.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

Never forget tossing the ring.

"He-hey, you missed pal!"

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

slowbeef posted:

Don't you goddamn dare, the main humor came from how much you guys hosed around while going back and forth.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Roar posted:

Don't you goddamn dare, the main humor came from how much you guys hosed around while going back and forth.

Agreeing with this. Plus the constant stream of absolutely nothing happening makes the one scene where something happens near the end even more satisfying‎

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So there was a bit of a tragedy in regards to Kaubock's and Panzer's LP of Saints Row 2, and one of their videos was hit pretty hard with copyright hits....but Kaubocks managed to find a perfect way to fix the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FPV3jWSMXk#t=701

What I'm trying to say is, that if you haven't watched their LP yet then you should probably go do that: http://lparchive.org/Saints-Row-2/

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Uh. Anyone ever seen a good LP in Spanish? Youtube is obviously not helpful. For some reason when I search by rating it gives me least watched LPs (maybe because those haven't managed to accumulate enough downvotes yet). I found one non-obnoxious LP of Skyrim, but the sound quality and especially the clarity of speech leaves a lot to be desired (which is important for a learner like me), while good quality LPs almost always have a facecam, and are always blind. I appreciate the anti-facecam argument much more now, though. It's not about a person's face, but what it does, and a non-professional will always scratch, twitch, stretch, which is really distracting and not that pleasant to watch. I'm guessing all that applies to English-language LPs too.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Not exactly the freshest tip, but if anyone's looking for a low-key, engaging (and completed) LP of Dark Souls 2, I recommend GulBanana's series, here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqm5b5hwPRhrz5OX9twcbIdzuTZFLRiuZ

Fun stuff.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Niggurath posted:

So there was a bit of a tragedy in regards to Kaubock's and Panzer's LP of Saints Row 2, and one of their videos was hit pretty hard with copyright hits....but Kaubocks managed to find a perfect way to fix the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FPV3jWSMXk#t=701

What I'm trying to say is, that if you haven't watched their LP yet then you should probably go do that: http://lparchive.org/Saints-Row-2/

Seamless.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Does anyone have any recommendations for a German-language video LP? I'm trying to increase my exposure to the language, and a subject that I'm interested in would help.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I have recently watched Valiant Hearts by Beam. I cannot vouch for the quality of the commentary because I'm very bad at the language, but he edits, has no facecam, not too many ads, and doesn't ramble so far as I've noticed... By "subject you're interested in" you probably mean "Let's plays". I just got a little confused - "a subject which is...?" :downs:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Are there any good LPs of Gregory Horror Show: Soul Collector? I recall watching bits of that game 6 or 7 years ago and I wanted to revisit it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mr Tastee posted:

Are there any good LPs of Gregory Horror Show: Soul Collector? I recall watching bits of that game 6 or 7 years ago and I wanted to revisit it.

Jamesman iirc started one, then a technical error forced him to abandon it.

Maybe a youtuber has done it.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any good space sim VLPs (not the homeworld ones)?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ghostwoods posted:

Not exactly the freshest tip, but if anyone's looking for a low-key, engaging (and completed) LP of Dark Souls 2, I recommend GulBanana's series, here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqm5b5hwPRhrz5OX9twcbIdzuTZFLRiuZ

Fun stuff.

Does it get better? Because he has spent 5 minutes fighting 3 moles in chapter 2.

EDIT: Not wanting to sound like a jerk. It is a blind LP of Dark Souls, without much editing, and that doesn't seem very engaging.

VVVVVV

Thanks, I had missed that one.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 19, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Does it get better? Because he has spent 5 minutes fighting 3 moles in chapter 2.

EDIT: Not wanting to sound like a jerk. It is a blind LP of Dark Souls, without much editing, and that doesn't seem very engaging.
Well if you're wanting a cleaner and non-blind run of the game, you could always check out Iggy's LP of it going on right now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642300

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

To be fair if it's the three pig things in the village, those are some tough motherfuckers.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair if it's the three pig things in the village, those are some tough motherfuckers.

Yeah, they certainly seem like bastards.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You've seen LPers break games before, but you probably haven't seen a game break an LPer. MassRafter is doing Superman 64, and it's amazing.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

ultrafilter posted:

You've seen LPers break games before, but you probably haven't seen a game break an LPer.

I dunno, I saw Sonic 2 Special Edition.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

I dunno, I saw Sonic 2 Special Edition.

gently caress that, Ecco the Dolphin has destroyed every poor soul who's tried to LP it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

nine-gear crow posted:

gently caress that, Ecco the Dolphin has destroyed every poor soul who's tried to LP it.

Didn't a dude get one done for the Hard Games thread?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

nine-gear crow posted:

Case in point.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Didn't a dude get one done for the Hard Games thread?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523112&pagenumber=40#post415486795

Yeah, and he seemed to do fine with it. No mental breakdown or anything; just an interesting game idea wrapped up in utterly poo poo game design.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anything for a spooky game(s), pref with GHOSTS, minimal to no jumpscares and very relaxed commentary? I love a creepy, but also kinda relaxed/interesting ghost atmosphere before bed.

I've watched a lot of the on site VLPs of those games where you battled ghosts with a camera and i'll go finish those if you guys don't have other suggestions.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The guy who posted right above you did a pretty good VLP of Nanashi No Game that fits that description:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685236

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Anything for a spooky game(s), pref with GHOSTS, minimal to no jumpscares and very relaxed commentary? I love a creepy, but also kinda relaxed/interesting ghost atmosphere before bed.

I've watched a lot of the on site VLPs of those games where you battled ghosts with a camera and i'll go finish those if you guys don't have other suggestions.

Those are Niggurath's Fatal Frame LPs. They're good. However, the games get more jump scares in them the further you go into the series (with 4 reaching levels of ridiculousness).

Check out his Kuon LP if you want more ghost survival horror stuff. From what I recall, there weren't too many jump scares in that. And Niggurath's commentary is always very relaxed.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Jsor posted:

The guy who posted right above you did a pretty good VLP of Nanashi No Game that fits that description:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685236

Rush_shirt posted:

Those are Niggurath's Fatal Frame LPs. They're good. However, the games get more jump scares in them the further you go into the series (with 4 reaching levels of ridiculousness).

Check out his Kuon LP if you want more ghost survival horror stuff. From what I recall, there weren't too many jump scares in that. And Niggurath's commentary is always very relaxed.

Thanks, in the end i just went back to Fatal Frame, it was difficult to find anything that scratched the itch the same way. Plus I've routinely fallen asleep to like every second video so i can't remember how it went.