Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Grand Fromage posted:

This stuff has been incredible every time I've had it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paomo

I haven't been to Xi'an but you want to go to the Muslim area if you can and eat literally everything you can see. There's probably lots of Muslim noodle places around too. You'll want to try lamian (hand-pulled noodle soup, origin of ramen), my favorite is chao daoxiaomian, which is thick noodles that get cut off a hunk right into the water and then fried in sauce. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSsZmd5G7zM

Yeah I've been reading that it has a heavy Muslim influence on the foods there since it was a major junction of the Silk Road back in the day.

I did read about that lamb soup with Pita bread soaked in it, def will keep my eye out for something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kontona
May 3, 2003

shaitan posted:

I did read about that lamb soup with Pita bread soaked in it, def will keep my eye out for something like that.

I had this nearly every day when I was in Xian and it was absolutely delicious. Wish I could find a place that served it in the US.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

shaitan posted:

Yeah I've been reading that it has a heavy Muslim influence on the foods there since it was a major junction of the Silk Road back in the day.

Lamb Soup with Pita bread is one of the best creations of food out there. The key is to make sure the peta bread is fresh, if not it kinda just floats like a icebrurg in your soup and doesn't adsorb the lamb broth.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
As a countervailing opinion: I've only been to Xi'an once about a gazillion years ago, but Paomo is kind of tourist trap food there. You should probably get it at least once but unless you find a place that's a lot more legit than anything I found, it's just going to be the vaguely-okay thing that everyone eats in Xi'an because they hear they're supposed to eat it, kind of like a cheesesteak in Philadelphia or something. Instead I strongly suggest you just camp out in the Muslim quarter of town and eat everything you see, especially if it's A) fried B) on a stick C) fried and on a stick.

fakeedit: especially those little fried fingerling potatoes on a stick

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 4, 2015

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

shaitan posted:

I'm going to be travelling to Xi'an for work in a month or so. Any recommendations for regional dishes? I most likely won't be able to be picking the places to go, so places recommendations won't work. I also don't know exactly where I'll be staying.

In ShanXi, noodles and bread are king. Because of the arid conditions with long winters, wheat, barley, and corn are widely grown around the area.

One of the most common types of bread is called SuBing (Flakey Pastry). This is made from flour and yeast and is then coiled to create a flaky layered texture. They are usually either pan fried or cooked on an oily sheet in an oven. From this type of bread, two of ShanXi's most famous dishes can be made.

RouJiaMo - Meat Hamburger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rou_jia_mo

YangRou PaoMo - Lamb and bread soup

Because of the lack of rice in the area, noodles emerged as the staple dish in ShanXi. Many noodle houses around China are simply labeled ShanXi Restaurant. Most of the time noodles are served in a soup with tomatoes and rape.
DaoXiaoMian - Knife Cut Noodles

LaMian - Hand Pulled Noodles

KaoLaoLao - Rolled steamed noodles.

Also don't forget to try out the street food. You'll find lamb kebabs (YangRouChuan), spicy sour cold noodles (SuanLaMian), Roasted Baozi (KaoBaozi).

Remember, don't restrict yourself to just ShanXi food. If you look around, you'll find food from all over China that will be just as good as if you were visiting that area.

kontona posted:

I had this nearly every day when I was in Xian and it was absolutely delicious. Wish I could find a place that served it in the US.

There was a place in Chicago Chinatown that was advertising PaoMo. I meant to grab a bowl when I was there last week, but I never had the time.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

As a countervailing opinion: I've only been to Xi'an once about a gazillion years ago, but Paomo is kind of tourist trap food there. You should probably get it at least once but unless you find a place that's a lot more legit than anything I found, it's just going to be the vaguely-okay thing that everyone eats in Xi'an because they hear they're supposed to eat it, kind of like a cheesesteak in Philadelphia or something. Instead I strongly suggest you just camp out in the Muslim quarter of town and eat everything you see, especially if it's A) fried B) on a stick C) fried and on a stick.

fakeedit: especially those little fried fingerling potatoes on a stick

I wouldn't say it's a tourist trap food, it is something people in Shaanxi further west eat a lot. Any small hole-in-the-wall restaurant will have it, though the quality and price will definitely fluctuate depending on where you get it.

Case in point: Chao Shou (Sichuan Dumplings) here in Chengdu. I can go to literally any street in town and find a place that sells these for like 7-10rmb a bowl, or I could go to one of the CHENGDU #1 SPECIAL DISH CHAO SHOU restaurants in a shopping district and pay 30rmb for a bowl of once-frozen dumplings.

Paomo owns, get it!

Also if you do want a novelty, you can search for some Biang Biang Mian, a dish that has the unique privilege to use the most complicated Chinese character technically in current use:

I had them once and they're pretty good, but I do feel it's more of a novelty than most of the other food.

Xi'an food owns overall though so go hog lamb wild.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

Also if you do want a novelty, you can search for some Biang Biang Mian, a dish that has the unique privilege to use the most complicated Chinese character technically in current use:

I had them once and they're pretty good, but I do feel it's more of a novelty than most of the other food.

Xi'an food owns overall though so go hog lamb wild.

I think these are the noodles they have at "Xi'an Famous Foods" in NYC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've never been to Xi'an I just eat a lot of paomo here in Chengdu and it's awesome.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Anyone know of the dish that has beef and pork inside bread doe thats then deep fried? I'm not sure if it's Chinese or Korean bit it's dam good! About size of a grapefruit when done.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

kontona posted:

You can find this in San Jose. There are several Muslim Chinese restaurants in the general area (though the one I used to go to in Cupertino sadly shut down).

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyway, inspired after eating some loving awesome orange chicken at Yuet Bistro in Redding, CA, I decided to try and rip off their recipe. I think I got reasonably close and my wife agrees. It's very easy, so if anyone wants to try:

Orange loving Chicken (Not deep-fried)

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 orange
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar
  • 1 tsp red chili flakes
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2-3 chicken breasts
  • 1 bunch green onions

Grate the orange peel and put it in a pot with the water. Squeeze in the orange's juice. Bring it to a boil, then simmer about 10 minutes.

Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Let that simmer a minute or two.

Add the vinegar, chili, and soy sauce. Stir them in and simmer it a little more.

Mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water, add it to the sauce. Reduce heat all the way, we just want to keep it hot now.

Cut up the chicken into chunks, slice the green onions the way you always slice green onions. Stir-fry the chicken until it's cooked, then add the onions and toss for a minute or so until they're hot.

Put the chicken+onions in a bowl, pour the sauce over, and serve.
Tried making this last night after a craving for American-style Chinese, and it came out great! I used half the amount of sugar you suggested and it still tasted fine.

You also forgot to list soy sauce on the ingredients, I used 1.5 Tbsp of light soy and that seemed to do the trick.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sashimi posted:

Tried making this last night after a craving for American-style Chinese, and it came out great! I used half the amount of sugar you suggested and it still tasted fine.

You also forgot to list soy sauce on the ingredients, I used 1.5 Tbsp of light soy and that seemed to do the trick.

poo poo, yeah, I used 1 tsp of soy and that was plenty for me. I'll go back and change it.

Glad you enjoyed it! I could totally see it doing well with less sugar... I based the sauce on a recipe for sweet-and-pungent sauce in one of my cookbooks, but upped the water and decreased the vinegar because I wanted to match the sugary flavor at the restaurant.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

caberham posted:

Christ you nerds just get a Teflon

teflon wouldn't even survive the preheat on my burner when I cook.

185,000 BTU by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

MMMMM PTFE/PFOAs

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A nonstick wok is The Dumbest Thing.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's easier to handle and not heavy as gently caress. You also don't need to freak out if you ever clean your wok with detergent.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

caberham posted:

It's easier to handle and not heavy as gently caress. You also don't need to freak out if you ever clean your wok with detergent.

my wok isn't heavy at all, it's hella light. Also I never freak out when I clean my wok with detergent which is every time I use it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Carbon steel isn't heavy at all, and you can't use a nonstick wok for its intended purpose so why bother?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can also add less oil for non sticks and things just kind of toss around a bit more. I have both in the house so I guess I'm more ambivalent.

Then again, I'm more picky about the amount of grease in the food, chopping out the vegetable heads, removing the extra fibrous bits, small uniform sizes, separating the stalks from the leaves than trying to attain that stir fry crunch.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

caberham posted:

You can also add less oil for non sticks and things just kind of toss around a bit more. I have both in the house so I guess I'm more ambivalent.

Then again, I'm more picky about the amount of grease in the food, chopping out the vegetable heads, removing the extra fibrous bits, small uniform sizes, separating the stalks from the leaves than trying to attain that stir fry crunch.

I think you're missing that you can't get dat "wok hei" in a non stick wok because you cannot heat it anywhere near hot enough to get it. you can use a nonstick wok to do a saute, sure. It's not a proper stir fry, though.

edit for visual aid:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Not everybody can afford to dump tens of thousands of euros on retrofying his kitchen.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tonberrytoby posted:

Not everybody can afford to dump tens of thousands of euros on retrofying his kitchen.

my burner was $40.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty cool picture. But my gripe about it: everything is too big/too long.

Sprout heads aren't separated.
Sprouts aren't cut in half/thirds/quartered
Only the green end parts of the spring onions, not enough of the more flavourful white heads
alien sized shrimp - probably not desanded but at least tail removed
those green stalks are too long.

wok hei is indeed awesome - it's great if you can get a setup at home with the right burner, a wok, ingredients, and proper knowledge (don't over grease and don't add too much corn starch). It's just a lot of :effort:

You guys can most definitely dismiss all my opinions because I'm the biggest Cantonese food snob / horrible bourgeois - I have been only impressed by a handful of Cantonese restaurants in North America, and only Cantonese restaurant is fit for caberham in Vancouver.

caberham fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 13, 2015

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

GrAviTy84 posted:

my burner was $40.
I would probably have to tear down the whole house and rebuild it if I wanted to legally install a gas burner. So my estimate is an average of our costs.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Made hongshaorou. Came out okay for a first attempt. I know how to make it even better next time though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's from modernist cuisine so the shrimps are most definitely deveined. I think it's actually pad thai iirc.

tonberrytoby posted:

I would probably have to tear down the whole house and rebuild it if I wanted to legally install a gas burner. So my estimate is an average of our costs.

I just cook on my patio.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Made hongshaorou. Came out okay for a first attempt. I know how to make it even better next time though.

Oh wow, impressive! But why is the bowl shaped weird. How do you scoop the food into your mouth if it's a square bowl :goonsay: What will you do next time? Add more sauce (I don't know how from the picture)? Remove the stalks from the herbs?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use a propane turkey fryer burner outside. Puts out way more BTUs than my gas range, and the smoke stays outside.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Has anyone used a WokMon?

http://www.wokmon.com

It looks like it could work well. I have one of those PowerBoil settings on my gas range but the flame is gigantic and nearly goes around the wok. It's a small wok to be sure.

It's no badass jet but I also live in a condo

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
People here are just ignoring gravity84s post and it's really frustrating to read

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

caberham posted:

Oh wow, impressive! But why is the bowl shaped weird. How do you scoop the food into your mouth if it's a square bowl :goonsay: What will you do next time? Add more sauce (I don't know how from the picture)? Remove the stalks from the herbs?

I'm back in the States so we fork and spooned it. :P

And yeah, I need more sauce. I cooked it covered for too long so the pork was done but the sauce hadn't thickened enough. Didn't want to prolong the cooking much longer so just went with how it was.

I don't particularly mind cilantro stems myself. :P

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Has anyone used a WokMon?

http://www.wokmon.com

It looks like it could work well. I have one of those PowerBoil settings on my gas range but the flame is gigantic and nearly goes around the wok. It's a small wok to be sure.

It's no badass jet but I also live in a condo

I have a powerboil burner too but its still 18000 BTUs or something. A turkey fryer burner will probably be double that at minimum, and likely more. A real wok burner will push over 100,000 BTUs.

So focusing the flame may help, but it's not going to make it into a legit wok burner.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a powerboil burner too but its still 18000 BTUs or something. A turkey fryer burner will probably be double that at minimum, and likely more. A real wok burner will push over 100,000 BTUs.

So focusing the flame may help, but it's not going to make it into a legit wok burner.

Right, it'll still be laughably low, but it will hopefully provide a usable result until the far future when I get into a house. Just wondering if it actually does work well or if it's worthless crap, might pick one up when I get a new wok (since mine is great for a single person but way small for a couple + guests)

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 13, 2015

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What would you suggest the minimum BTU for a good wok burner be?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I just cook on my patio.

I can't afford a patio

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

caberham posted:

You guys can most definitely dismiss all my opinions because I'm the biggest Cantonese food snob / horrible bourgeois - I have been only impressed by a handful of Cantonese restaurants in North America, and only Cantonese restaurant is fit for caberham in Vancouver.

You can't say this and not tell us which one you mean.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Right, it'll still be laughably low, but it will hopefully provide a usable result until the far future when I get into a house. Just wondering if it actually does work well or if it's worthless crap, might pick one up when I get a new wok (since mine is great for a single person but way small for a couple + guests)

Kenji at serious eats did a preview of one of the test units here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-wok-mon-converts-your-home-burner-into-a-wok-range-solution.html

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

GrAviTy84 posted:

teflon wouldn't even survive the preheat on my burner when I cook.

185,000 BTU by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

MMMMM PTFE/PFOAs

:stare: Somewhere, a blacksmith is missing a vital part of her forge.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Gravity84, what are you using to cook and is it something one could easily buy? Because that setup looks loving amazing.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casull posted:

Gravity84, what are you using to cook and is it something one could easily buy? Because that setup looks loving amazing.

I won it from an ICSA a while back, pretty cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP1-Jet-Cooker/dp/B0002913MI

In hindsight you might want to get a more spread out burner since this jet one I have has a pretty small hotspot, and that hot spot is ridiculously hot, but I don't have personal experience with others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Search propane burner on amazon, there are a bunch. You can probably find one at a hardware store or buy a turkery fryer set up, as those are just propane burners. The one grav uses is the Bayou Classic SP1 jet cooker.

Derp: replied as grav was also posting.