Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Will my FV304 be good enough for all the arty missions? Also someone point me to a good light tank, I have literally none after 7k games :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

maev posted:

Will my FV304 be good enough for all the arty missions? Also someone point me to a good light tank, I have literally none after 7k games :<

I really like the Luchs, it's great fun to use.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Just wondering what nation is a good artillery line to go down for the missions. Highest I've got unlocked is an elited M37, but I wanted to check before I rebought it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Is the T29 still a good tank for pubstomping in Tier 7?

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE5JCwSKCoI

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

maev posted:

Depends on the mission, I think? The ones with very specific requirements ("kill a light") seem ideal for it, while the ones with a damage requirement seem easier in something higher-tier.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
On another note, I installed a gun sound mod included in Aslain's pack that replaces the firing sounds with ones ripped from War Thunder tanks. It's pretty good, I think I'll be using it for the time being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ85XvJXf1E

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

maev posted:

I'm having issues making my FV304 and leFH work, they simply don't do enough damage unless you somehow get a round full lightly armored tanks that sit still.
Also the FV will have issues with remaining unspotted since its shot range is a little more then some tanks viewrange.

Why will nothing set on fire. Goddamn this shouldn't be that difficult.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 19, 2015

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This game looks amazing, yet confusing. Should I just jump in, or is the learning curve steep?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

You could play your first game blindfolded and still do better than half the players in the match. Jump right in.

Get in a platoon later to get some advice from experienced players dumped on you.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Tias posted:

This game looks amazing, yet confusing. Should I just jump in, or is the learning curve steep?

Depends on the country and line of tanks. Start with the KV-1 line, so
USSR
MS-1 -> T-26 -> T-46 -> T-28 -> KV-1

It's a well armoured beast of a heavy tank at its tier, flexible and pretty forgiving of mistakes, as tanks go.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

maev posted:

It might have trouble damaging two tanks at once with one shell. I think a combo of Lefh/FV304 for all of the funky shots + one high tier arty (American probably) for the damage is all you need for all missions.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Tias posted:

Nah just jump in the basics are simple enough that you should be fine against the awful pubbies. Down the road if you are still playing you can definitely put in time and effort to get really good though. Low skill floor, high skill ceiling.

Going to also recommend either the Soviet or American heavy tank lines as they are pretty forgiving and are good for learning fundamentals. This game gives you enough free slots at the beginning to go down 3 or so lines at once though so besides those 2 I would just try out stuff that looks interesting to you.

Oh and you haven't made an account yet look around for some codes that give new players free premium and gold on account activation they are usually pretty easy to find.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 19, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tias posted:

I thought it would be confusing (and this was before they had a tutorial), but it was very intuitive for the most part.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Cippalippus posted:

Victory
Swamp
T37
Experience received:1.650 Credits received 33.735
Battle achievements 3 Marks of Excellence, Mastery Badge: "I Class"

:toot:

Did they change the requirements? I've been away for a month, but I remember that I wasn't that close to the third mark. I noticed that all my tanks are higher.

they changed it, its really easy to get now. more pubbie friendly i guess

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

mmkay posted:

It might have trouble damaging two tanks at once with one shell. I think a combo of Lefh/FV304 for all of the funky shots + one high tier arty (American probably) for the damage is all you need for all missions.

You could probably accomplish that with an FV304 by sync queuing on NA West.

edit: holy poo poo :wtf: is this boats alpha survey :magical:

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 19, 2015

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Nordick posted:

On another note, I installed a gun sound mod included in Aslain's pack that replaces the firing sounds with ones ripped from War Thunder tanks. It's pretty good, I think I'll be using it for the time being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ85XvJXf1E

My life is complete with a sound mod where someone just goes brrrrm pew boom.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Tias posted:

try to stay alive, use terrain as cover, that will be your hardest part. the spotting mechanic is the most confusing, (how you see other tanks, and when they see you), other then that, its just a shooting game with tanks..

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Tias posted:

Edit: wrong thread.

Read up on the guides on http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks and you should be better than most pubbies. And try not too level to quickly and instead learn of what works best for you and what don't work.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 19, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Refried Noodle posted:

My life is complete with a sound mod where someone just goes brrrrm pew boom.
All you need for that is a microphone, man. Actually making a voice mod is piss-easy once you have the sound files at hand.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Tias posted:

Go for it. Someone said easy floor, tough ceiling and that's true. As a new player w/ less than a 1000 games, here's some things I've learned through trial and error:

- Don't rush in. I did that a poo poo ton in my first games. Rush like mad, get one or two shots off and then die. Wait and watch, look at the mini-map and make it bigger ("+" key). See where the other players go, where the enemies pop up and then make a decision.
- Stay under cover (rocks, terrain, non-destructible buildings). Some maps have destructible buildings others don't.
- Don't effing stop out in the open so you can take a potshot at someone and then get raped by five opposing players. I pulled that stupid stunt more times than I can count. Don't be out in the open, unless it's the end of a match and your side is winning; move from cover to cover.
- Try your best not to tunnel vision. Keep glancing at the minimap to see if you're getting flanked.

Also, I have to get on goon TS. I'm a pubbie clan that a good RL friend is in. The other pubbies are okay, but there's very little teaching or guiding of newer players which is a bit frustrating.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Tias posted:

To chime in on other advice, once (if) you decide to try to get better than the average pubbie, you may want to download XVM (which among other things shows other players' stats ingame) and once you die, switch camera view to better players and see how they're playing, check good map positions (also check where they're going at the beginning of the map even before you die). Additionally once you do get better, you might find yourself looking at the worst players instead , staring in disbelief.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

mmkay posted:

I'm doing close to this - Bishop instead of the FV304 because I don't have the 304 yet (also the Bishop sees more low tier light tanks), and the M40/43 for the damage ones and the splash two tanks at once one. With a gold round it has like a 12m blast radius, so I'm not expecting hitting two people at once to be terribly hard on the right maps.

It's working very well so far, killing a light tank was a piece of cake and I got it within a few rounds of the Bishop because if you're mid or top tier, the game will be half light tanks (and lots of newbies who don't know to keep moving and are easy to oneshot)

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Nordick posted:

All you need for that is a microphone to be on ts, man

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
How do I rehabilitate my stats if I spent years loving around drunk in pub matches but now want to play with goons?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
The T29 is one of the great tanks in the game and it's funny how it's been hit with the nerf bat so many times yet it's still utterly dominant. The only way they were able to really challenge it was by giving the Tiger I a stupid boost to it's ability to chew poo poo up. And even then you'd be hard pressed to say that the Tiger I is conclusively better than the T29. It just happens to now inhabit the same neighborhood.

Now that they're gutting the SU-85B this may be the last tank in the game I can hit the battle button for and know that I'm going to carry the poo poo out of a bunch of drooling mongoloids. We may not win, but I'm doing at least 2x my health in damage and am therefor blameless. It's the one tank that makes me sort of miss this stupid lovely game.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 19, 2015

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

unlimited shrimp posted:

How do I rehabilitate my stats if I spent years loving around drunk in pub matches but now want to play with goons?

I am someone who did exactly this. (Still a shitter, mind, but at least a respectable shitter. A cut above the other shitters, if you will.) I can advise you to simply try to raise your awareness of your surroundings. After every match I try to just run down what I did well and what I hosed up. Takes 30 seconds or so. On the other hand, I recommend you not take it so seriously that you begin to hate the game because what's the joy in becoming good in a game you hate?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I can play decently well when I'm taking the game seriously. I'm just wondering how long it will take to dig myself out of the stat pit.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Depends on how many total battles you have and what your recent performance is. I don't play with goons often but from what I gather they aren't sticklers for good stats though.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

maev posted:

I want that T-55a DDR tank so badly, someone tell me how to set an enemy tank on fire in a medium :argh:

If you're still having issues with this the t-34, Ram II, and Easy 8 would be how I would do it. All fast firing decent mobility that see a nice range of very flammable tanks.

Also, the LEFH is still amazing and I wish I had played it more with the old HEAT shell :( just did the 1k Hvy damage mission with 7 HEAT rounds to the side of a Tiger 1 and the front of 2 KV-3s. 2k damage and a loss but gently caress it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

unlimited shrimp posted:

play with goons?

Yes.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

JuffoWup posted:

Dandy, you know what we must do soon.

Hit me up! Just got back from vacation.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

The Southern Dandy posted:

Hit me up! Just got back from vacation.

Sorry I missed you. Need to toon up to complete some missions (maybe please love you long time) also the 152 on the SU-5 has 3.66 Meters splash. 2nd game in it go the double damage mission. Crazy short range but hilarious arc.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

There's another beta weekend next week?! :magical:

Signups for this beta weekend start tomorrow on the 20th, don't know exactly when on the 20th but its whats been said on the forums. And if you were in the previous beta weekend you apparently automatically get access to if not the rest of them at least this one.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

How long will this round of personal missions last? I've looked but can't find any mention of it in-game.

e: duh, February 15th.

e2: er wait, that's just the community contest

rockopete fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 20, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Lazyhound posted:

I played the WZ-111 for a bit. It's good, but not $70 good; OTOH, it would complete my Type 59 / Type 62 / WZ-111 trifecta. Decisions.

Have you tried logging in lately? My only notification that I'd been accepted into the alpha was a survey sent weeks later.

I'll have to try to log in more often then. Thanks for the heads up.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

rockopete posted:

How long will this round of personal missions last? I've looked but can't find any mention of it in-game.

Forever! They're not supposed to expire.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

OSad posted:

Wait, so I have months and months to get the Obj 260?

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

rockopete posted:

Wait, so I have months and months to get the Obj 260?

Dare I say you have years and years even.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

Uhhhhhhhh I think you'll find that most people don't have very high standards for platoonmates.

Depending on how many games you have, your stats may never go up. That's okay, it means that arty will never focus you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tias posted:

As rockopete said, the KV-1 line is the most 'friendly' branch to climb, just so long as you don't put the 76mm on the T-46, and view the T-28 as a penance to get to the KV-1. Another thing to get used to early, since a lot of the endgame is thin-skinned autoloader (tanks with 'magazines' that can shoot multiple rounds in rapid succession before needing to reload a drum, as opposed to the standard shoot/wait/shoot) would be the British Cruiser III, which can equip the 40mm 'Pom-Pom' gun. That's good early autoloader practice - in addition to the Cruiser III being on the British medium line, which is probably one of the more well-thought-out new lines in the game (very few lovely/mediocre tanks).

Whatever you do, don't even consider French tanks until you're comfortable with *regular* (i.e., easier) tanks. The French tree is most decidedly this game's 'hard mode' up to around T5 on the heavy tree, and doesn't get any less painful until T7 on the medium tree. The UE 57 is fun at T3 on the French trees, as it gives you the Churchill III's gun two tiers lower and is mounted on the only 'tankette' in the game, meaning you're small as hell. Too bad it leads into the SAu 40, which is a pile of dogshit. All French tanks though, are considered difficult to play because they're the most unforgiving of stupidity.

Also on the Russian side, you'll want to get to the SU-85b before the next version hits. You've got plenty of time, as the next version isn't even in public test yet. The top gun on the SU-85b will make you feel like a minor deity, and it'll give you good training for TDs in general, as it's fragile as all hell. The early TDs also provide the best early "I'm here to ruin your game" experience with either high alpha or high DPM.

You do want to spread out your early game and not focus entirely on one tree, as the best thing for you to do early on is die, get into another tank, and just grind. Also, hit up the thread in PGS and see if someone's got an invite code to share - a lot of times they'll come with gold or a free light premium tank, and almost always come with 3-7 days of free premium time, which will get you into T4 in practically no time at all. Also, see if anyone in here wants to 'sponsor' you, so they could possibly get the T95E2 if you decide to (ugh) grind to a T10.

The 'new hotness' at present is the US light tank tree, which is a hell of a lot of fun to play up to T8, and adds a way to skip the T21 and T69...not that you should be thinking of a T10 right now anyway.

OSad posted:

I'm not actually sure on this - I've seen the first four tanks be referred to as "Season 1" tanks. I'm sure it'll be 'doable' for the better part of a year's time, but don't expect them to be accessible forever.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 20, 2015