Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

grilldos posted:

You integrated GV with Hangouts and are using Hangouts, not Google Voice app/web, right?
That's correct, I'm all up-to-date with respect to the switchover from GV to Hangouts. I do have the GV app installed on my phone but only to force my phone's dialer to go through Voice - I use Hangouts for everything else GV-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Anyone know of a good music visualizer? So tired of looking at the bland Google Play app.

Tried some of what looked to be the best ones but didn't like any of them

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So this is a big ask, but is there any way to use Pushbullet to send my phone a message when a specific program flashes in the taskbar on my desktop?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Every so often, Google Play Music will start itself when my phone connects to my car. I don't want that to happen. Aside from uninstalling it, since I do use it, is there any way from preventing this from happening?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is it when you've pulled out headphones while it's playing, or when you've paused a song from the notification/lockscreen controls, something like that?

It might be resuming because it's connecting back to an audio source, and you might have to make sure you close the player with the X. Worth a look anyway

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
No, it'll happen even if I haven't used GPM in days (including a reboot or two). I won't have been listening to any audio that day, then I'll get in my car and GPM will start playing something, which seems to be chosen at random. I could be a little off on some of the specifics since it's so sporadic, but it just happened earlier this evening, so it's fresh in my mind.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone know of any safe, reliable apps that let you download youtube videos?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Away all Goats posted:

Anyone know of any safe, reliable apps that let you download youtube videos?

https://www.youtube.com/musickey enables offline viewing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm guessing it's US only for now since it's asking me for an email address to let me know when I can use it (in Canada)

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
As my career is looking to change into a much stronger project management focus:

Any recommendations for project management, mindmap, or other useful business apps to start me off on the right foot?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Mourning Due posted:

As my career is looking to change into a much stronger project management focus:

Any recommendations for project management, mindmap, or other useful business apps to start me off on the right foot?
  • Evernote —in conjunction with Pushbullet, Pocket, and sometimes If This Then That (IFTTT)— is my primary capture method. Evernote can be used in teams, but I haven't needed that capability.
  • Business Calendar Pro and Smooth Calendar (highly-customizable widget app) handle my schedules.
  • I'm just getting into Task Coach (mobile, desktop, and Portable Apps versions available) for GTD on specific projects with lots of minutiae. Like what I'm seeing so far. Can export as HTML, CSV, todo.txt, and iCalendar. Plays nice with Dropbox.
  • MindFlux looks good as a general GTD tool.
  • HabitRPG is fun for personal goals and building new habits.
  • For time-tracking, I use Gleeo (with Gleeo Automagic) and/or Time Recording Pro. This will hammer itself out as I learn more about Tasker automation and put some time/energy/attention into setting up the NFC badges I ordered. Task coach has time-tracking capabilities, too, btw.
  • I still grab index cards or a sketch journal for "ubiquitous capture method" pretty often; however, my Note 3 (phablet w/stylus) is capable of doing a lot with Papyrus. Sometimes you just can't beat a big newsprint tablet for a mind dump, though. Anything important I need to keep, I'll snapshot it into Evernote for processing.
  • Clipboard Fusion by Binary Fortress: clipboard sync capable of macros and scrubbing text.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

It's great that it requires a subscription service to have YouTube continue playing content when the screen turns off...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

brc64 posted:

It's great that it requires a subscription service to have YouTube continue playing content when the screen turns off...
It's almost like recording artists want to be paid!

The service also removes ads on music videos and allows you to store videos locally. You also get Play Music All Access.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

butt dickus posted:

It's almost like recording artists want to be paid!

The service also removes ads on music videos and allows you to store videos locally. You also get Play Music All Access.

Or if you already have Google Play Music All Access, you get YouTube Music Key along with it.
Too bad it hasn't been released in Canada yet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Yeah, that's how I have it. It surprised me at first when I switched away from YouTube and audio kept playing. Fortunately, there's an option to disable it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an android app that simulates a radio disc jockey's soundboard? Like AAAOOOGA, gong, slide whistle, ding-ding-ding!

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Just upgraded to an HTC One M8, from an M7, and all of a sudden, Pocket Casts is doing continuous play, and I can't seem to turn it off. Am I missing something, or is this a feature, not a bug?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Teach posted:

Just upgraded to an HTC One M8, from an M7, and all of a sudden, Pocket Casts is doing continuous play, and I can't seem to turn it off. Am I missing something, or is this a feature, not a bug?

If you mean it won't stop after you start it, and not that it started on its own and won't stop, this has happened to me occasionally, though not in the last month or so. The only thing I could do is go into the settings and kill PocketCasts. I've emailed them a couple of times, and I think they said they'd try to track it down, but I guess they haven't had any success, or what causes it on my Nexus 4 is different than what causes it on your phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Teach posted:

If what you mean by continuous is that it auto-advances after each track and doesn't require you to hit "play" for each one, I don't think it can do non-continuous play. Even when I play a track out of order it goes back up to the top of the playlist and resumes the oldest item when the track is done.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mogomra posted:

This morning, I started getting notified that I'll be charged $0.01/minute for local Google Voice calls in the US. I guess I knew this was coming at some point, they just kept pushing it back.

This apparently got lost in the chat but I'm wondering how is this going to affect those who have merged Hangouts to Voice or use a Voice number to receive/send calls.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ThermoPhysical posted:

This apparently got lost in the chat but I'm wondering how is this going to affect those who have merged Hangouts to Voice or use a Voice number to receive/send calls.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is. I've turned on the option to choose which number I call with, and I don't get notified that I'll be charged for every call.

Basically, I'm a cheap douchebag, and I try to call with GV first. If I'm going to be charged one cent a minute, I just back out and place the call with my real number.

I've merged Voice and Hangouts, and I've been using my Voice number as my main number for years.

The only thing I really get out of this whole thing is free texts (who cares anymore) and the ability to mark some calls as spam. There are a few other nice features that Voice offers, but in the grand scheme it's not worth it if I'm going to pay Google for every call. If I used it for business, yeah definitely, but I'm not.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 20, 2015

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Hmm, this is from one of the google voice documentation pages.

quote:

If you're calling from the United States and Canada to a number within those countries, almost all calls are free, but a few destinations will cost USD 1 cent per minute depending on the specific phone number.

Maybe it is just a specific local carrier not playing nice with google?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an android app that simulates a radio disc jockey's soundboard? Like AAAOOOGA, gong, slide whistle, ding-ding-ding!

No, the last person that made an app like that was dragged into the street and shot, sorry.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Question for those using Nine: if you use app-level encryption, does your work calendar still integrate with the main calendar, or do you have to launch Nine to see your meetings/appointments/etc.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

Question for those using Nine: if you use app-level encryption, does your work calendar still integrate with the main calendar, or do you have to launch Nine to see your meetings/appointments/etc.

It integrates normally. As in it works like this:

monster on a stick posted:

your work calendar still integrate with the main calendar

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Use the best.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

If what you mean by continuous is that it auto-advances after each track and doesn't require you to hit "play" for each one, I don't think it can do non-continuous play. Even when I play a track out of order it goes back up to the top of the playlist and resumes the oldest item when the track is done.

That's what I mean, and that's what it's doing, thank you. As soon as one podcast finishes it immediately plays the next, and I was hoping to disable that bug feature. Thanks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Teach posted:

That's what I mean, and that's what it's doing, thank you. As soon as one podcast finishes it immediately plays the next, and I was hoping to disable that bug feature. Thanks!

When on the screen with the player controls (I.e. the artwork is big) put your finger on the artwork and swipe to the left (move your finger left, that is) and you should see what amounts to a playlist from which you can swipe to remove stuff. This won't delete anything but just prevent it from advancing automatically.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I work at a daycare and I want to put all the contact information for the parents in my phone. But I don't want their numbers clogging up my contact list. Is there a good app that would let me put all those numbers in a separate contact folder so they only show up when I need them to?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Len posted:

I work at a daycare and I want to put all the contact information for the parents in my phone. But I don't want their numbers clogging up my contact list. Is there a good app that would let me put all those numbers in a separate contact folder so they only show up when I need them to?

I think you can do this with Google Contacts, by putting them in a folder.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BoyBlunder posted:

I think you can do this with Google Contacts, by putting them in a folder.

Does that have an app to replace the stock S5 contacts? I just tried that out and it still just shows a giant list with every contact even though they're in a folder.

Edit: ideally I want to be able to click through options like Parents>kid 1> and then see a list of contacts and then I could select mom, dad, grandma and see home/cell/work numbers.

Len fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 21, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there an app that isn't a full dialer replacement that will automatically search unlisted contacts? I frequently get spam numbers and my OCD makes me google the number as soon as I see it to see if it's spam...would be nice to have an app do the work for me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Medullah posted:

Is there an app that isn't a full dialer replacement that will automatically search unlisted contacts? I frequently get spam numbers and my OCD makes me google the number as soon as I see it to see if it's spam...would be nice to have an app do the work for me.
I think that's what Mr. Number is for.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

I've been using TrueCaller and I like it a lot.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Good app for reading comics on my new Nexus 6? :]

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
ComicRack has always served me well, and it has a sync feature to your windows pc/server if you decide to do that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

THF13 posted:

Hmm, this is from one of the google voice documentation pages.

quote:

If you're calling from the United States and Canada to a number within those countries, almost all calls are free, but a few destinations will cost USD 1 cent per minute depending on the specific phone number.

Maybe it is just a specific local carrier not playing nice with google?

They don't list what few destinations will cost 1 cent per minute. But who knows, I still have my $0.10 credit that came with my account when I signed up in 2010.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

fuf posted:

Good app for reading comics on my new Nexus 6? :]

PerfectViewer is pretty legit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rookiestudio.perfectviewer

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Gyshall posted:

ComicRack has always served me well, and it has a sync feature to your windows pc/server if you decide to do that.

Is a 6'' screen large enough to comfortably read comics in a few segments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

I also recommend PerfectViewer it's does everything you need and can connect to LAN and FTP and read from .rars and .7z etc.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Is a 6'' screen large enough to comfortably read comics in a few segments?

I happily read manga with ease on my 5in screen.

• Locked thread