Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh right, I may be confusing FC with some other egomanical modder. It's not like Minecraft has any shortage of them.

Oh yeah, I remember that. I think it's Forestry, is it not?

FlowerChild just made it so literally every mod was incompatible with his. Just that.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

ZekeNY posted:

I would love a career mode were you start off with RoverDude's sounding rockets and have to work your way up to Sputnik-type probes and finally manned flights. Ideally, with RemoteTech style comms rules (plus allowing you to program nodes into the flight computer in the VAB). That would even be great for the stock game, though it's bot very compatible with the whole climb-aboard-and-light-it-up ethos that I love in KSP.

That would be something I'd like to see as well.

Ideally, I'd like to change the way tech progression works. Right now, you can't send small probes at the start of the game, because the tiny engines / fuel tanks / reaction wheels don't unlock until midway in the tech tree. I'd prefer a system where you have a lot more freedom in the type and size of part you use, and science points can be used to improve parts. Increase ISP on engines, reduce weight on structural components, etc.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Has anyone attempted to hack in Oculus support for EVA/IVA modes? Just curious, because Lunar Flight was a really immersive tech demo. I'd love to have something with the depth of KSP and the excellent Rift interface of Lunar Flight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Everything I've heard from the flight sim community is that the O.R. is too low resolution for full time use right now. Although for a short flight as a tech demo it's fantastic. The Crescent Bay is pretty close to "full resolution" but you can't buy one yet.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Well, you nerds got me to uniornically watch that loving Planetes anime, and now I'm ALL ABOUT manually deorbiting the hundreds of pieces of junk cluttering up LKO:

Current plan (not tested in orbit yet): Have a claw mounted with sepratorn solid rockets, grab the debris, orient it to retrograde, fire a stage which decouples the entire claw assembly while simultaneously firing the 6 mounted sepratrons:

(Sepratorns not pictured, but in my prototype I've got them mounted on an empty life support container behind the claw, as it has low weight and a slim profile)
My only concern with this stupid plan is that replacing the claw will be a pain in the rear end. It'd be much easier if Sepratrons could be carried and placed with KAS.

Anybody think of a way to do this more efficiently, while still making it more fun than terminating the object in the tracking screen? I see KAS has a load of winches, anchors etc., but I haven't dipped my toe in that yet.

alr
May 14, 2009
Downloading a weapons mod and sending a mothership loaded with smaller fighter craft style things that can intercept the debris.

I forget which version of the game that was but I used those fighters to go match orbits with the debris and use the alt+F12 cheat menu to lob cannonballs at them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I put ridiculous effort into making sure as many of my discards as possible end up crashing into Kerbin or with perihelions inside the atmosphere. It's a shame Kessler Syndrome already starts with a K.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Splicer posted:

It's a shame Kessler Syndrome already starts with a K.

You're just not trying hard enough. It's obviously Kessler Komplications.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oberleutnant posted:

Anybody think of a way to do this more efficiently, while still making it more fun than terminating the object in the tracking screen? I see KAS has a load of winches, anchors etc., but I haven't dipped my toe in that yet.
Well assuming "efficiently" means more fuel but less claws, you can grab a thing, burn until your whole contraption has a sub-orbital trajectory, release your debris behind you, return to an orbital trajectory.

The advantage of this is that when you need to refuel, just open your claw again and ram it into the nearest space station.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah that was the other idea I was toying with, but I wanna do cool poo poo with rockets :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm just about start a new save with a rakeload of mods, and this one might be useful to you: Routine Mission Manager

e: to automate claw resupply missions.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 19, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

I have no idea how well it would work, but you could try mounting a big long arm on the thing with a claw on the end, along with some excess SAS power, then spin the thing around like mad and release it when the debris is going retrograde.

I mean your craft will end up going prograde which means you'll need to stabilise it, but otherwise you're essentially hammer-tossing debris back to kerbin, which is pretty cool.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I picked my career mode back up and got landing probes/satellite pairs to Duna, Ike, and Eve. And it just reminded me of my problem with stepping outside the Kerbin system: time.

Timing transfer windows and the sheer length of time it takes to get to any of the other planets just makes the game feel like it suddenly screeches to a halt. I get that space is big but it feels really off to go from exploring Kerbin orbit, Mun, and Minmus within a month or two of in-game mission time and then suddenly have a year-long mission to Duna.

I know there's no real way to make this easier (aside from an Orion-drive :black101:) without breaking physics but a built-in Protractor tool for transfer windows and making some kind of intermediate step a big part of a post-Minmus game to acclimate players to the longer flight times would ease some of these feelings.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

Well, you nerds got me to uniornically watch that loving Planetes anime, and now I'm ALL ABOUT manually deorbiting the hundreds of pieces of junk cluttering up LKO:

Current plan (not tested in orbit yet): Have a claw mounted with sepratorn solid rockets, grab the debris, orient it to retrograde, fire a stage which decouples the entire claw assembly while simultaneously firing the 6 mounted sepratrons:

(Sepratorns not pictured, but in my prototype I've got them mounted on an empty life support container behind the claw, as it has low weight and a slim profile)
My only concern with this stupid plan is that replacing the claw will be a pain in the rear end. It'd be much easier if Sepratrons could be carried and placed with KAS.

Try something like this? A ship with a bunch of small grapplers that each have a probe core and an SRB.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Anyone know if there's a fix for text disappearing on OpenGL mode?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Thwomp posted:

I picked my career mode back up and got landing probes/satellite pairs to Duna, Ike, and Eve. And it just reminded me of my problem with stepping outside the Kerbin system: time.

Timing transfer windows and the sheer length of time it takes to get to any of the other planets just makes the game feel like it suddenly screeches to a halt. I get that space is big but it feels really off to go from exploring Kerbin orbit, Mun, and Minmus within a month or two of in-game mission time and then suddenly have a year-long mission to Duna.

I know there's no real way to make this easier (aside from an Orion-drive :black101:) without breaking physics but a built-in Protractor tool for transfer windows and making some kind of intermediate step a big part of a post-Minmus game to acclimate players to the longer flight times would ease some of these feelings.

It's much easier now if you've got Mechjeb, because it has an advanced transfer function in the maneuver planner that lets you see all possible transfer maneuvers in the next few years and compare delta-V cost, transit time and how long you have to wait until the transfer window. Transfers still take ages, but at least you can choose to compromise on fuel cost vs time spent rather than waiting for the perfect (fuel-wise) transfer window.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Alternatively you could install the alarm clock mod and go do other stuff in the meantime? I tend to warp through 20 days or so for an average minmus mission, so I putz around in the Krbin system running various errands until something pings to tell me my probe is at Duna or whatever.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oberleutnant posted:

Alternatively you could install the alarm clock mod and go do other stuff in the meantime? I tend to warp through 20 days or so for an average minmus mission, so I putz around in the Krbin system running various errands until something pings to tell me my probe is at Duna or whatever.
Came back to the thread to post exactly this.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Pretty well everything should be KAS-able. Is there an easy way to change parts to make them compatible with the mod?

Even large parts, like engines and tanks. A Kerbal can't carry it, but a craft with arms and storage area could. That would allow for real orbital assembly, without using unsightly docking ports all the time.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Try something like this? A ship with a bunch of small grapplers that each have a probe core and an SRB.

This is the basic approach I've always been in favor of for deorbiting anything not designed to do it on its own. Bonus points for putting chutes on the Klaw drones to recover stuff for funds!

That being said, I usually work around the problem by planning every launch to not leave any debris in orbit in the first place. You can build a launch vehicle where your final launch stage has a probe core and enough fuel to deorbit itself after dropping off the payload, or you can plan for your orbiter to provide the last ~200 m/s of dV to make LKO. Beyond that, design every craft to either be reusable (tugs, transfer stages with docking ports, etc.) with a refueling station or allow enough fuel in the design to deorbit once the mission is complete (satellites, landers returning science to Kerbin, etc.).

I suppose it gets more complicated for interplanetary missions where you really don't want to haul empty tanks all over the system, but if you're just trying to avoid Kesslerizing LKO it's pretty easy to do that with good design.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Count Roland posted:

I've unlocked it in the tech tree many times, but I've never gotten around to using that thing.

The claw is really useful for a bunch of things other than it's intended purpose (grabbing asteroids).

It's a docking port that doesn't require a docking port on the other end. It still allows transfer of fuel and all that, so it's very, very useful for emergency refuel/rescue missions, or de-orbiting space junk.
AND
It also grabs kerbals, and can present an easier way of fulfilling "rescue Kerbal from LKO" missions. Most notably, it is the only practical way of rescuing kerbals who have expended all of their EVA fuel.

Supraluminal posted:

This is the basic approach I've always been in favor of for deorbiting anything not designed to do it on its own. Bonus points for putting chutes on the Klaw drones to recover stuff for funds!

That being said, I usually work around the problem by planning every launch to not leave any debris in orbit in the first place. You can build a launch vehicle where your final launch stage has a probe core and enough fuel to deorbit itself after dropping off the payload, or you can plan for your orbiter to provide the last ~200 m/s of dV to make LKO. Beyond that, design every craft to either be reusable (tugs, transfer stages with docking ports, etc.) with a refueling station or allow enough fuel in the design to deorbit once the mission is complete (satellites, landers returning science to Kerbin, etc.).

I suppose it gets more complicated for interplanetary missions where you really don't want to haul empty tanks all over the system, but if you're just trying to avoid Kesslerizing LKO it's pretty easy to do that with good design.

This often isn't possible early in career mode though, so it can be nice to clean up some vintage missions later. As for interplanetary stuff, who cares? Space is big.

Splode fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 20, 2015

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Deorbiting? Where's the fun in that? All those pretty little targets whizzing by overhead whilst preparing for launch are always a welcome distraction. Is it a satellite? Debris? Stranded ship / plane / pod / buggy (don't ask)?

It's also fun to watch them converging / diverging while in LKO. Only a few days ago there was a stranded ship orbiting about 35km away from a freshly launched interplanetary vessel. Sure, I could have rescued them but that would have cut into my fuel budget.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

General_Failure posted:

Deorbiting? Where's the fun in that? All those pretty little targets whizzing by overhead whilst preparing for launch are always a welcome distraction. Is it a satellite? Debris? Stranded ship / plane / pod / buggy (don't ask)?

It's also fun to watch them converging / diverging while in LKO. Only a few days ago there was a stranded ship orbiting about 35km away from a freshly launched interplanetary vessel. Sure, I could have rescued them but that would have cut into my fuel budget.

BUT WHO IS KEEPING SPACE SAFE??

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
I made a new thing... A training akademy for space Kerbals, where you can have your vets level up your less experienced kerbonauts.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

RoverDude posted:

I made a new thing... A training akademy for space Kerbals, where you can have your vets level up your less experienced kerbonauts.

Did a bunch of MKS modules get removed and replaced with the 'mobile' modules?

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
Is there a way to remove Test Part contracts?

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Spookydonut posted:

Did a bunch of MKS modules get removed and replaced with the 'mobile' modules?

A few did - basically the really large manufacturing ones, and this guy because it has a twelve Kerbal capacity and I didn't want to make another model just yet.

So just over half have MKS or OKS variants, and the other three use the 3.75m variant you see here.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Apoffys posted:

It's much easier now if you've got Mechjeb,...

Does it still rely on the less accurate simplified circular and co-planar model?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RoverDude posted:

That's neat. I've been looking for an excuse to make permanent bases on other worlds that aren't about life support.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Met posted:

That's neat. I've been looking for an excuse to make permanent bases on other worlds that aren't about life support.

Yeah my endgame is gonna be colonizing every place you can land on just for fun. Doing so in a hard career will be a very long and difficult process, but it'll be worth it. Hopefully by the time it happens, they'll have at least announced new planets; the stuff Nova was talking about for proposed new worlds sounded really awesome and I'd love to see it implemented.

Also would love to see a some comets and asteroids that had their own SOI that we could land on.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
Hard mode sucks...

Karbonite miner representing half of my remaining funds budget fell over while landing on the mun, lost all of the solar panels and the remaining engine in a last ditch effort to get the crew (five Kerbals who were along for training) into orbit. Two hours till they die, only hope of rescue is if I can conspire to de-orbit an ion-powered mapping satellite and cannibalize it's solar panels.

Backup plan... I poo poo you not.. is to run back and forth with batteries via KAS between the crew capsule and the (hopefully) functional Karbonite drill (which has a generator on it) until I can land a supply drone.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sounds intense.

Gonna stream/record your efforts?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

RoverDude posted:

Does the training consist of jumping around in that inflatable bouncy-castle thing?

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

dublish posted:

Does the training consist of jumping around in that inflatable bouncy-castle thing?

Yes. Yes it does.

Oh.... and I managed to save my Kerbals. Almost hit the pod coming in, but conspired to land with all solar panels intact. Now to get a rescue mission going, and salvage ops for the Karbonite rig.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Are there any mods that allow for ships landed at or near an off-world colony to be recovered for funds or resources? I've saved all the skycranes I've used to land my Minmus base and they're starting to clutter up the area and I don't want their value to go to waste (since my mining operation is yet to start).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrChips posted:

Are there any mods that allow for ships landed at or near an off-world colony to be recovered for funds or resources? I've saved all the skycranes I've used to land my Minmus base and they're starting to clutter up the area and I don't want their value to go to waste (since my mining operation is yet to start).

You could install interstellar and use them as impactors for science, or you could use KAS to turn them into spare fuel tanks/refuel them and fly them back to kerbin.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Koobze posted:

I've been playing with the version I linked and no menu issues.

I am however getting a weird bug where if I launch a ship that has multiple parts docked together, and then dock it with my space station, I become unable to go to the space center or switch to other distant ships using the map. And since there is no easy way to exit to main menu I have to quicksave and alt-f4. Very annoying but after one more docking I should be done with this station, hopefully.

Building on this, the simulate, launch, revert mod has the same bug if you have the "ironman" option on, but it's particularly nasty because whatever the hell that option changes persists even if you uninstall the mod. Just a heads up in case you use that mod instead of the build time one for your launch simulation needs, that way you don't have to go through the same lovely debugging process I did.

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold

Nazattack posted:

Is there a way to remove Test Part contracts?

Dmagic updated his Contract window mod to include a contract configurator:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91034-0-90-Contracts-Window-v3-1-1-10-15

Looks like it may be possible to set "Test Part" contracts to 0 "max offered".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Does it still rely on the less accurate simplified circular and co-planar model?

I have no idea.