Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

ENBoost appears to be a preconfigured ini for ENB. It won't do anything unless you use ENB.

Enboost is ENB, using only the speed and ram enhancements without using any graphical effects.

Edit: and yes, it is worth using even if you don't otherwise use ENB, just for the few extra FPS and the stability.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Woolie Wool posted:

ENBoost appears to be a preconfigured ini for ENB. It won't do anything unless you use ENB.

Half-correct. ENBoost can be considered an ENB preset that has no visual enhancements and only makes performance tweaks. there is no downside to using it even on the weakest of machines.

Sweet Blameless Child
May 7, 2004

How can I change my Steam settings so that when I launch the game, my friends see a thing pop up that says,

(name) is now playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim with his Dick Out

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Even before I'd heard of gategate I never really got the allure of opencities.

Mostly because it cut down on the loading screens while transitioning into cities, like in the days of Morrowind.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Question about a couple mods, Dragon Combat Overhaul and Combat Evolved. I notice they've both had significant updates since I last tried them out, does anyone use them regularly now? I've always liked the ideas behind the mods, but the versions I used were just insanely buggy or game breaking.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
If I use ASIS with the improved INIs, I won't have to explicitly add SPERG as an exception, right? That's already included?

I ask because all these INIs are awfully confusing and I'm not sure where I'd even have to add it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

nessin posted:

Question about a couple mods, Dragon Combat Overhaul and Combat Evolved. I notice they've both had significant updates since I last tried them out, does anyone use them regularly now? I've always liked the ideas behind the mods, but the versions I used were just insanely buggy or game breaking.

Is Dragon Combat Overhaul as stupidly hard as its reputation suggests?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Woolie Wool posted:

Is Dragon Combat Overhaul as stupidly hard as its reputation suggests?

I played with an old version of it about a year ago and the changes it made to dragons were baffling more than anything. I never felt like it was working right, most of the difficulty came from them randomly using "gently caress you" limit breaks that were unavoidably deadly as far as I could tell.

I don't know, maybe the newer version is better.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RangerPL posted:

If I use ASIS with the improved INIs, I won't have to explicitly add SPERG as an exception, right? That's already included?

I ask because all these INIs are awfully confusing and I'm not sure where I'd even have to add it.

Yes. Don't forget to actually run the patcher after installing the INIs, which is sadly one of the more common user errors.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I started using Climates of Tamriel and I think it's causing me to infinitely load on transitions to exterior cells. I have no idea what the cause is but it happened to a game I had that was in-progress when I added the mod, and it's now happened to a new game (I successfully transitioned to exterior cells a bunch of times in Winterhold and Whiterun, but now can't transition from inside Fellglow keep to outside). Has anyone heard of this before?

e: Well, poo poo, whatever the problem really was, using the 'Safety Load' mod from the Nexus fixed it for me.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 19, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I think I got my set up mostly stable, but a few more questions.
1. Is snow supposed to look like this?

2. This looks like mismatched textures, but I haven't installed any texture mods (as far as I know). How do I narrow down the problem?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, vanilla snow is that ugly solid white. Better Dynamic Snow is a good mod to replace that if it bothers you.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I think I may be getting the dreaded saved game bloat. EFF is starting to lag and my last save was 29 MB. :ohdear:

Most of the forum threads I get when googling "saved game bloat" are incoherent drivel.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 19, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Brodual released their Best of 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffCIfSwcDxo

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I have DSR, XPMS, and have generated a FNIS output and DSR patch. What would cause the shield surfing instead of having it show on my back (or wherever vanilla is supposed to put it).

2. I'm also getting this odd lighting bug when I'm standing or looking at a particular place (notice the straight lines)

I have ELFX, and some other lighting mods (e.g. CoT) but none which affect interior cell lighting as far as I know.

I don't want to spam the thread so let me know if I should post my mod/load order.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

I have DSR, XPMS, and have generated a FNIS output and DSR patch. What would cause the shield surfing instead of having it show on my back (or wherever vanilla is supposed to put it).

I want a lore-friendly immersive shield surfing overhaul mod now.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

If it happens with only that shield or a just couple ones, it's a problem with those shield-on-back meshes. Contact whoever made them.
If it happens with all shields you either didn't install custom skeletons that support DSR, or frelled up installing them. So either get some custom skeletons that support DSR, or if you did instal skeletons: Check to see if the skeletons you installed support DSR and/or you aren't overriding them in your installation with other skeletons.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Raygereio posted:

If it happens with only that shield or a just couple ones, it's a problem with those shield-on-back meshes. Contact whoever made them.
If it happens with all shields you either didn't install custom skeletons that support DSR, or frelled up installing them. So either get some custom skeletons that support DSR, or if you did instal skeletons: Check to see if the skeletons you installed support DSR and/or you aren't overriding them in your installation with other skeletons.

This happens with at least half a dozen shields I tested. I'm not quite sure what you mean by custom skeletons. Under what circumstances would I need to seek out a custom skeleton that works well with DSR? As far as I know, the only animations/skeleton mods I installed was Immersive Animations and Belt-Fastened quivers.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

This happens with at least half a dozen shields I tested. I'm not quite sure what you mean by custom skeletons. Under what circumstances would I need to seek out a custom skeleton that works well with DSR?
Read Duel Sheath Redux' readme and/or description page. In particular the Requirements & Frequently Asked Questions bits.
Also: Always read the readme's and/or description pages of mods.

But to answer your question: DSR's shield-on-back & offhand-sheath require nodes on the skeleton that tell the game where those items should be positioned on the body. If the skeleton doesn't have those nodes, the game throws it's hands in the air and dumps the items at the character's feet.
So you need custom skeletons that have nodes to support DSR's shield-on-back & offhand-sheath.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 19, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Duck and burger posted:

Make sure to run your DSR skyproc before ASIS, if you have them. That solved some issues for me. I don't even know what a TES5Edit Merged Patch is. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53045 This MAY be useful.

I thought the correct order was:
ASIS
Automatic Variants
Dual Sheathe Redux
Lootification

That's the order that SUM uses, I think. I would love to be wrong, and have someone more knowledgeable post the correct sequence for all known SkyProccers out there. There aren't many, but every guide just says, "Make sure you run them in the right order!" without actually providing said order.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I want a lore-friendly immersive shield surfing overhaul mod now.

Is that with or without UNPB and CBE support?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I would absolutely install a sword surfing mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkc4eBCy3Sk&t=206s

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Raygereio posted:

Read Duel Sheath Redux' readme and/or description page. In particular the Requirements & Frequently Asked Questions bits.
Also: Always read the readme's and/or description pages of mods.

But to answer your question: DSR's shield-on-back & offhand-sheath require nodes on the skeleton that tell the game where those items should be positioned on the body. If the skeleton doesn't have those nodes, the game throws it's hands in the air and dumps the items at the character's feet.
So you need custom skeletons that have nodes to support DSR's shield-on-back & offhand-sheath.

Alright, thanks a bunch for your help. It took a lot of reading the tea leaves but I think I figured it out. I need to look through the 284 files on the custom skeleton replacers page and find the appropriate combination. Since I'm using DSR, Realistic Ragdoll, and Belt-Quivers, Pack 67 is the way to go. Even though I don't have BBP installed, the author said that's cool. And because the skeleton replacer is from 2013, should I feel comfortable translating any mention of DSpSoB to just mean Dual Sheath Redux?

Also, should I worry about this:

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 19, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Sorry for the double post. Running LOOT after I make a merged patch pushes it up all way above many other mods. I'm assuming because it actually moved it, LOOT recognizes what a TES5Edit merged patch is. Should I leave it alone where it is?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

No, Merged and Bashed Patches always go at the end of a load order. The only other esp files that are loaded after them are dynamic patch files.

My guess is that the mods that were pushed below it aren't in the general LOOT database. BOSS had the same issue.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Is that with or without UNPB and CBE support?

Goes without saying. Hopefully with HDT and SOS support as well, but I'm not picky.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

Sorry for the double post. Running LOOT after I make a merged patch pushes it up all way above many other mods. I'm assuming because it actually moved it, LOOT recognizes what a TES5Edit merged patch is. Should I leave it alone where it is?

Use Edit Metadata in Loot to set your merged patch's priority to something like +100000. Set any dynamic patches accordingly. (+100100, +100200, etc.)

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Fina posted:

I'll have to look into that one, thanks. Another question then: In New Vegas I had a mod called Signature Weapons that allowed you to gain perks and buffs for a weapon (and armor IIRC) as you continued to use it. It was maybe a little overpowered but it allowed you to stick with one weapon through the game. I suppose it was more important in NV because each gun differed more than each melee weapon in Skyrim does, but I haven't found anything that quite matches this idea for Skyrim.

I have a port of this nearing the final polish stages but have slacked hard on it for the last few months. If you want to test it I think the latest version is here. I'm pretty sure that has some debug menu option still in that will weird stuff. If anyone uses this I would really love feedback about it. Also any ideas about other interesting upgrade options.

e: updated link to newer version.

LtSmash fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 19, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Has anyone tried this Floating Healthbars mod? I always find combat with multiple enemies really hectic and hard to keep track of, and floating healthbars would solve at least one of my sources of confusion.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

LtSmash posted:

I have a port of this nearing the final polish stages but have slacked hard on it for the last few months. If you want to test it I think the latest version is here. I'm pretty sure that has some debug menu option still in that will weird stuff. If anyone uses this I would really love feedback about it. Also any ideas about other interesting upgrade options.

I'll absolutely give this a shot, thanks! Anywhere in particular I should stick this in my load order?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Fina posted:

I'll absolutely give this a shot, thanks! Anywhere in particular I should stick this in my load order?

I don't think so. Its pretty much just a dummy quest to attach the scripts on the player. It needs SKSE and SkyUI.

And I just realized I had a newer version sitting on my desktop. Uploaded here.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So I can hear the siren call of mod shopping for a new playthrough again :negative:

Thought I'd stick my head in and ask - is there a mod to let you begin Dawnguard by walking into Serana's crypt without being sent there? I don't think my IMMERSIVE :drac: would be interested in signing on with some lunatic vampire slayers...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well turning Immersive Creatures difficulty up to Expert and performing a cell reset certainly livened up the difficulty some. :stare:

And maybe ASIS finally kicked in for real because I got completely owned by an Arch Conjurer's lightning spell in a matter of seconds.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 20, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Well turning Immersive Creatures difficulty up to Expert and performing a cell reset certainly livened up the difficulty some. :stare:

And maybe ASIS finally kicked in for real because I got completely owned by an Arch Conjurer's lightning spell in a matter of seconds.

Yep, probably the cell reset + ASIS. :)

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Hrm. Through repeated updating and uninstalls, I seem to have rendered Equipping Overhaul completely inert and ineffectual. No amount of unattached script deleting and stopquest/startquest as directed by the readme will make it work. It also never did dual sheathing right, despite adding the DSR mesh folder as requested. After hitting the MCM menu's uninstall, stopping quests manually, and cleaning unattached script instances, what would possibly be left over?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

LtSmash posted:

I don't think so. Its pretty much just a dummy quest to attach the scripts on the player. It needs SKSE and SkyUI.

And I just realized I had a newer version sitting on my desktop. Uploaded here.

Played around with the newer one a bit earlier, good stuff and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I have encountered some issues though, I'll post them here but if there is somewhere else you'd rather me send this just let me know.

- Making a weapon my signature prevents me from upgrading it. If the weapon is already upgraded it will keep the suffix and damage increase. If the weapon wasn't already upgraded you can't upgrade it at all.
- It seemed oddly picky about which weapon it'd take if you have similar weapons in your inventory. If I wielded a legendary iron dagger and I had a simple iron dagger in my inventory, attempting to make my wielded legendary weapon my signature would cause the mod to grab the basic dagger in my inventory and make that my signature instead. Dropping the extra dagger from my inventory allowed me to get around this.
- I ran into what appears to be some compatibility issues with the JaySuS Swords mod. Making a JS weapon my signature would do odd things to the damage numbers. My 91 damage sword that I intended to make my signature dropped down to 75 damage, two different 85 damage swords I tried were reduced to 69 damage each, in one case making a JS sword my signature caused the base damage to increase by 1. I couldn't reproduce this issue on any vanilla weapons.

In regards to those issues, this mod was loaded at the end of the load and aside from the unofficial patches the only things I have installed that may cause issues is SPERG and JSwords

Past those issues these are a few suggestions:

- Maybe change the name from Dovahkiin's Signature X to (Player Name)'s Signature X. Past that though I'd suggest just allowing you to name it like you would an enchanted item. I saw an option for custom names but it said "See Readme" and there was no included readme file.
- A notification when your weapon has earned an upgrade would be nice.
- Some nice buffs would be: Increase damage blocked, Increase bash damage, Reduce bash stamina, Weapon can be improved +X% more, Applied poisons last longer, Enchantments use less charge per hit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a mod that prevents cells from respawning? Seem to be tons that make them respawn faster, but I want the entire world to be one-and-done. Even if that breaks merchants. I want to see what it's like!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there a mod that prevents cells from respawning? Seem to be tons that make them respawn faster, but I want the entire world to be one-and-done. Even if that breaks merchants. I want to see what it's like!

There's a tweak option when making a Bashed Patch that alters cell respawn.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Fina posted:

Played around with the newer one a bit earlier, good stuff and pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I have encountered some issues though, I'll post them here but if there is somewhere else you'd rather me send this just let me know.

- Making a weapon my signature prevents me from upgrading it. If the weapon is already upgraded it will keep the suffix and damage increase. If the weapon wasn't already upgraded you can't upgrade it at all.
- It seemed oddly picky about which weapon it'd take if you have similar weapons in your inventory. If I wielded a legendary iron dagger and I had a simple iron dagger in my inventory, attempting to make my wielded legendary weapon my signature would cause the mod to grab the basic dagger in my inventory and make that my signature instead. Dropping the extra dagger from my inventory allowed me to get around this.
- I ran into what appears to be some compatibility issues with the JaySuS Swords mod. Making a JS weapon my signature would do odd things to the damage numbers. My 91 damage sword that I intended to make my signature dropped down to 75 damage, two different 85 damage swords I tried were reduced to 69 damage each, in one case making a JS sword my signature caused the base damage to increase by 1. I couldn't reproduce this issue on any vanilla weapons.

In regards to those issues, this mod was loaded at the end of the load and aside from the unofficial patches the only things I have installed that may cause issues is SPERG and JSwords

Past those issues these are a few suggestions:

- Maybe change the name from Dovahkiin's Signature X to (Player Name)'s Signature X. Past that though I'd suggest just allowing you to name it like you would an enchanted item. I saw an option for custom names but it said "See Readme" and there was no included readme file.
- A notification when your weapon has earned an upgrade would be nice.
- Some nice buffs would be: Increase damage blocked, Increase bash damage, Reduce bash stamina, Weapon can be improved +X% more, Applied poisons last longer, Enchantments use less charge per hit.

Thanks for the feedback. This kind of response is really helpful.
- I actually have a fix for tempering but it is remarkably tricky to do. I did the proof of concept mod but I guess I didn't add it to the actual mod yet.
- Its basically impossible to choose one item over another that's in the player's inventory (or anyone else's or a container). If you know any mod that does that correctly let me know otherwise it will probably have to be a non-fixable issue.
- I'll check out JSwords. There are a few versions floating around could you link me the specific one?

Good suggestions. Some off the cuff thoughts.
- A very smart modder recently made an awesome tool to do text input without being janky rear end poo poo like everything else. I just need to pack it into Signature Weapons. Right now there is a console command to do it but I don't remember offhand.
- A notification shouldn't be too hard.
- Block: When blocking with the weapon or when using a shield with your weapon? The second would be easy to do, the first would be trickier. Just wondering what you think fits.
- Bash damage seems to be based on base damage for a weapon which is what increases when you increase damage.
- Bash stamina: I'll look into this. Again when bashing with the weapon or shield bashing while using the weapon?
- More tempering should be easy.
- I think SKSE just added functions to mess with applied poison, I'll take a look.
- Enchantment charge cost is based on your skill with that school. I'm not sure its possible to reduce it without it being a global effect on that school. Sadly the On Weapon Hit entry is bugged so only one will work and vanilla already have several perks using it. I could probably make it refund some of the charges afterwards. Not quite the same thing but close.

I'm not sure when I'll get a new version done but I'll post here again when I do.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

LtSmash posted:

- I'll check out JSwords. There are a few versions floating around could you link me the specific one?

I'm using Jaysus V13C + the 13D patch available at the nexus here.

When I was referring to blocking & bashing I meant with just that weapon in your hand. I've been playing a character that doesn't use a shield and just uses a one-handed sword for blocking and bashing, though I imagine it'd be similar to anyone playing with two-handed swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LtSmash, even though I haven't played around with Signature Weapon yet, there's on major suggestion/piece of advice I've been meaning to put out there: I think you should quit trying to tie it to a specific instance of a weapon. It seems that 99% of the problems you've mentioned stem from trying to do that. It's simply something Skyrim won't do well. You might just want to make it a specific weapon BaseID.

In fact, I think it'd be a cooler idea to take it a little further than that: one of the oblivion mods I use (Basic Primary Needs) identifies certain statics it interacts with by the file path of the mesh. I think that'd be a really neat, flexible way to do it. (For the record, I didn't like how SW in NV tied you to one specific instance of a weapon either.)

I know it changes the concept of the mod a bit, but I really think you'd have far less of a headache with it this way, and then you'd have time to implement my ASIS suggestions. :)

• Locked thread