Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Storysmith posted:

does a drm fuckup count as a security fuckup

a cat litter drm fuckup

https://medium.com/@jorge_lo/the-future-a-cat-litter-and-drm-6dbda26428f8

i think my time machine messed up and i somehow ended up in the dystopian capitalist future, i was hoping for the post-scarcity one

cat litter tracked on cutting boards and cooked cat poo poo smelling up the apartment. cat owners are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

kalstrams posted:

i will, though back in latvia $70, licence for sublime, was my monthly rent + phone/tablet plan
re: security fuckups: living in latvia

e: vvv same even if i exclude my opinion on cartoon

emacs does everything sublime does and also more and doesn't cost $70

vim does most of what sublime does, but is much simpler to learn, and doesn't cost $70

best of all: when sublime is yet another dead 1-man commercial project, joining bbedit and textmate in the fad editor graveyard, emacs and vim will still be here

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
"learn how to use a complicated piece of old software like vim? for doing something as simple as editing text? i don't think so!" said the programmer who will spend the next 40 years of his life editing text

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nano 4 lyfe

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

bbedit ruled

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

best of all: when sublime is yet another dead 1-man commercial project, joining bbedit and textmate in the fad editor graveyard, emacs and vim will still be here

you're acting as if that hasn't already happened. the last update was 6 months ago lol.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i figured out how to use the goddamn ispf editor and gently caress vim

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Luigi Thirty posted:

i figured out how to use the goddamn ispf editor and gently caress vim

i used to use ISPF for my job and i had been seriously considering using a clone of it on the desktop

i say "used to" because i got the hell out of mainframe dev for good a few months later (for non-editor-related reasons)

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

i don't know if it's the leftover neckbeard conditioning from that job talking or what, but it really is a neat editor

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Storysmith posted:

does a drm fuckup count as a security fuckup

a cat litter drm fuckup

https://medium.com/@jorge_lo/the-future-a-cat-litter-and-drm-6dbda26428f8

i think my time machine messed up and i somehow ended up in the dystopian capitalist future, i was hoping for the post-scarcity one

wait i finally got around to reading this

this idiot turbonerd can't deal with carting poops 'n' scoops to the garbage (how the gently caress is he breaking so many bags of cat poo poo anyway?!? jesus loving christ i just reuse shopping bags and i've yet to have a single break), can't deal with lugging a box of kitty litter into his apartment, but is totally fine with doing all his laundry at the loving laundromat?

and dealing with cat litter is somehow worse than finding wet catbox ~*granules*~ all over his loving apartment?? on his cutting board??!

how the gently caress

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs does everything sublime does and also more and doesn't cost $70

i have not yet found a way to make using the mouse wheel in emacs not unusable poo poo

if it cant do that well, it cant do everything sublime does

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vim does most of what sublime does, but is much simpler to learn, and doesn't cost $70

ah yes, so simple to learn:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you mean right now, sublime is already dead. its just good enough it will glide along for a while. maybe atom will get good enough to replace it (lol yeah right everything is poo poo)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait i finally got around to reading this

this idiot turbonerd can't deal with carting poops 'n' scoops to the garbage (how the gently caress is he breaking so many bags of cat poo poo anyway?!? jesus loving christ i just reuse shopping bags and i've yet to have a single break), can't deal with lugging a box of kitty litter into his apartment, but is totally fine with doing all his laundry at the loving laundromat?

and dealing with cat litter is somehow worse than finding wet catbox ~*granules*~ all over his loving apartment?? on his cutting board??!

how the gently caress

if you can afford a $500 litter box you can probably also afford to pay someone else to do your laundry

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
edlin or go home

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you can afford a $500 litter box you can probably also afford to pay someone else to do your laundry

I hadn't even considered that. I don't think it would have ever occurred to me on my own.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what kind of slob leaves their cutting board out, anyway?

Arcsech posted:

ah yes, so simple to learn:

Good thing you don't have to know every feature to use it!! It's really funny how afraid of modal text editors some people are.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I really wish I had whatever talent it is that you have that made vim easy to learn

not joking even a little

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

I really wish I had whatever talent it is that you have that made vim easy to learn

not joking even a little

it doesn't take very long. in fact, i believe today's newfangled vi derivatives even come with tutorials

maybe you should see a doctor about your crippling attention deficit disorder

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it doesn't take very long. in fact, i believe today's newfangled vi derivatives even come with tutorials

I'm actually just clumsy as hell :smuggo:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
top result on the chrome app thing for "adblock plus" is a trojan

a) thanks for not having a "this app is a disguise of a real app that's going to send all my loving passwords to some rear end in a top hat in romania" button, you loving morons at google
b) thanks for not saying "hey you downloaded a trojan" all of the three goddamn programs i have running to prevent me from accidentally downloading a loving trojan

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

CraigK posted:

top result on the chrome app thing for "adblock plus" is a trojan

a) thanks for not having a "this app is a disguise of a real app that's going to send all my loving passwords to some rear end in a top hat in romania" button, you loving morons at google
b) thanks for not saying "hey you downloaded a trojan" all of the three goddamn programs i have running to prevent me from accidentally downloading a loving trojan

dont look behind the curtain

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://breakingbits.net/2015/01/18/taking-over-godaddy-accounts-using-csrf/

quote:

While I was managing an old domain in GoDaddy, I noticed that there was absolutely no cross-site request forgery protection at all on many GoDaddy DNS management actions, which are state-changing POST requests. In fact, you could edit nameservers, change auto-renew settings and edit the zone file entirely without any CSRF protection in the request body or headers. It was somewhat difficult to reach GoDaddy’s security (tried security@ and noc@ email addresses, also tried calling support). Eventually I reached someone through Twitter from @GoDaddyHelp. I was told there was no timeline for a fix. I’m hoping this might encourage them to fix it more quickly, as the vulerability is so obvious it’s very likely being exploited already.

[...]

Cross-site request forgery, much like cross-site scripting, relies on some form deception or social engineering in order to exploit. However, it’s still serious, as an attacker can use the CSRF vulnerability presented here to de facto take over a domain from a victim. They don’t need sensitive information about the victim’s account, either – for auto-renew and nameservers, you don’t need to know anything. For DNS record management, all you need to know is the domain name of the DNS records. If you have a GoDaddy domain or manage GoDaddy domains for clients, be aware of the dangers presented here.

ok so godaddy has a problem

quote:

Disclosure Timeline

01/17/15 – Initial discovery and attempt to reach GoDaddy security.
01/18/15 – Further attempts to reach GoDaddy security, finally received word there was no timeline for a fix.

lol that timeline

the kid's linkedin is funny as poo poo

quote:

Security Consultant
Self-employed
August 2011 – Present (3 years 6 months)

* Finding and resolving vulnerabilities for both small and large companies across various industries.

* Secured vulnerabilities impacting hundreds of millions of users.

* Advising founders and development teams on how to secure their applications.

* Featured in The Register and SecurityWeek.

* Automated Linux server deployment and administration with Ubuntu, CentOS and Debian to audit up to 32,000 hosts simultaneously.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

papa_november posted:

bbedit rules
ftfy, it's still around

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

I'm actually just clumsy as hell :smuggo:

'u' is 'undo' for when your clumsiness gets you in trouble

otherwise, seriously, just use it as a text editor for a while, and when you're doing something tedious ask yourself "is there an easier way to do this within the editor" and google it

the same way anyone learns how to use anything ityool 2015

it's a useful skill to have (googling, and vi) because a lot of times it's the only halfway-decent editor installed on a remote box you need to edit things on

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

akadajet posted:

cat litter tracked on cutting boards and cooked cat poo poo smelling up the apartment. cat owners are amazing.

"It’s rare, happening maybe once every week or two"

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have crippling attention deficit disorder and still know how to use vim im not sure what their issue is

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Tiny Bug Child posted:

"learn how to use a complicated piece of old software like vim? for doing something as simple as editing text? i don't think so!" said the programmer who will spend the next 40 years of his life editing text

tbc was right?!?!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if your a colossal child or a literal child, http://vim-adventures.com/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lol if you don't use nano

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hmm, if sublime is dead then, uhm, ill stop being lazy for 30 minutes and throw up everything suggested then and pick. so - nano, vi, emacs, atom, ispf, edlin

also, we probably should go to text editor thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

only consider vim and emacs from that list

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

only consider vim from that list

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

if your a colossal child or a literal child, http://vim-adventures.com/
lmao

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
it complained to me when i used the arrow keys instead of hjkl

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
go create a loving text editor thread you spergs

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

vi's most important contribution to software is the eponymous nethack control scheme

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

OSI bean dip posted:

go create a loving text editor thread you spergs
this, and gently caress your greybeard editors

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i think this thread works
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693626

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

lol if you don't use nano

lol @ ur babby editor for clowns at the editor circus which is also for babbys

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

vimtutor

jjhjklkjhkjhjkhjllkljhkljhkljhkljhjhkjhlkjlklkjkjkjjjjjjjjjkkkkkkkkjjjjjjjjkkkkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Alereon posted:

this, and gently caress your greybeard editors

my beard is the blackest black, just like my emacs and vim themes

in actually-related-to-the-thread news:
https://polarssl.org/tech-updates/security-advisories/polarssl-security-advisory-2014-04

quote:

PolarSSL versions starting with 1.0 and up to the PolarSSL 1.3.9 and PolarSSL 1.2.12 are affected by a remote attack in some configurations.

This sequence can be triggered when a PolarSSL entity is parsing a certificate. So practically this means clients when receiving a certificate from the server or servers in case they are actively asking for a client certificate.

• Locked thread