Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

The revolvy thing. I think what I have right now is like... a battle cannon? SRM gave it to me, he can confirm or deny.
Confirming that it was a battle cannon bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Looks like that rumour of Harlequins is may be probably going to be true as the previews of the White Dwarf keep talking about the "Dance of Death". Kind of neat, always liked the Harlequins so them getting their own supplement will be cool.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'd still rather have aspect warriors that weren't either metal which chip if you play with them at all or finecast which bend if you breathe on them to intensely.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fix posted:

Quick question for the nid players: Zoanthropes manifesting Warp Blast on the turn they rolled out of a Tyrannocyte: legit?

The three states of a psyker are "on the board / off the board / in a transport". So they behave normally the turn they come on from reserves.

Also... Blastmasters are loving good against nids. Lost a warriors units in one volley, and they managed to finish off a MC. Ouch.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Since C'tan Shards now suffer from random psyker-like poo poo, I hope they are better priced :(

quote:

Regarding the CTans, WD seems to really make a difference between Shards of the Deceiver, Nightbringer, Trans CTan and the Vault. This is how their power work:
- During the shooting phase, chose an enemy unit.
- Roll a D6 to pick a card to determine the attack it suffers.
- The randomness represents the CTan basically doing whatever he wants when released on a battlefield.
- Each attack comes in 2 Flavors.
- The first one, supposedly already devastating, is used by the two shards and the Trans CTan.
- The second one, that appears to be the powerful Apocalypse effect, is for the Vault.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mango Polo posted:

Since C'tan Shards now suffer from random psyker-like poo poo, I hope they are better priced :(

God I hope this isn't true. That is literally some of the dumbest poo poo I've ever read.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

At the very least I hope you get to roll before picking a target. Otherwise:

• Firing at that huge blob of infantry? Have a 1-shot Lascannon equivalent.
  • Shooting at a Land Raider? 2d6 S5 hits.
  • Targetting a flier? S10 Flamer.

And other assorted bullshit...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
All of the current C'tan powers are hot garbage so at least we're not losing anything good. The assault prowess is pretty much the only reason to take one, and that won't be random.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Unless they get D6 attacks.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah it's all crap, but I bet one of the randoms if they do get that is some crazy D strength poo poo. I like that apparently we are finally getting back the Nightbringer maybe?

I kind of wonder if Transcendant C'Tan or Tesseract Vault is the LOW in the book. I'm sure the Stormlord will be a LOW.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Really, there's nothing good at all about the current C'tan. Even in melee, which it will never ever get to, it's arguably worse than a lot of other MCs (but still more expensive.) The Transcendent C'tan is the only good one, and he's unbelievably good. I sorta hope they won't change that, just because it's a great unit to throw in people's faces.

The "roll to see what power they use" thing sounds pretty stupid and I sort of doubt it, although it's not impossible. I'd be more inclined to believe that C'tan just start each game with some number (1-3) random powers drawn from the set.

Hollismason posted:

I'm sure the Stormlord will be a LOW.

Keep in mind DE didn't get a LoW at all, so it's quite possible 'Crons won't either.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm in the US. for now he's sidelined as a marker awaiting resurrection but there's one of those rare GWs nearby and the guy has a bitz box with free poo poo. I can probably get one there when I get the time to drive an hour out.

I looked for a bic pen but no dice.

If you don't have any luck at your GW, shoot me an email at username @ gmail dot com.

I did all of my warriors with custom blue rods, so I have mountains of the green ones sitting around.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AbusePuppy posted:

Really, there's nothing good at all about the current C'tan. Even in melee, which it will never ever get to, it's arguably worse than a lot of other MCs (but still more expensive.) The Transcendent C'tan is the only good one, and he's unbelievably good. I sorta hope they won't change that, just because it's a great unit to throw in people's faces.

The "roll to see what power they use" thing sounds pretty stupid and I sort of doubt it, although it's not impossible. I'd be more inclined to believe that C'tan just start each game with some number (1-3) random powers drawn from the set.

Keep in mind DE didn't get a LoW at all, so it's quite possible 'Crons won't either.

Dark Eldar dont have a giant apocalypse model that sold really poorly though.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

AbusePuppy posted:

There's already plastic models for the Necron ones, though.

e: This is the first 7e codex for an army that already has plastic superheavies, right?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Dark Eldar dont have a giant apocalypse model that sold really poorly though.

Did it really sell so badly? I kind of like both the Obelisk and Vault :shobon:

Granted the Obelisk's rules are pointless and the C'tan pushes the Vault's poo poo in.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
True, and I would absolutely expect the Obelisk/Vault to be included as LoWs, but the Stormlord could go either way.

And Orks had the plastic Stompa already, so Necrons aren't first.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

AbusePuppy posted:

They're the only ones in 7th that don't have a Faction level leader, though.

I would say that the Silent King is the only one who'd qualify as a LoW, but he doesn't have a model and won't be introduced.

The Necrons already have three Lords of War anyway, T'c'tan, Vault, and Obelisk.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

They do have a faction level leader, though. He just doesn't have a model. :smith:

Zark the Damned posted:

Guilty as charged. Of course I meant Command Barge. Bleh.

Haha. I thought you may have been trying a subtle joke, but then I remembered that interacting with him turned poor Leo Showers into a blubbering fool for a bit there.

As for the C'Tan, Necrons kinda dodged a bullet. I was willing to bet real money that crypteks were gonna get the random power deck and basically be hosed into shoddy not-psykers. With the C'Tan, it makes fluff sense for them to behave randomly, and if they suck, it's no big change from the current state of affairs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Bad English translations aside I hope that this

quote:

don't know which page is right.
- I said the Praetorian formation included a Stalker, but actually after rereading it it's an UNIT of Stalkers.
- Heavy Destroyers are indeed their one unit now.
- Deathmarks and Flayed are indeed only 1 unit.
- Dommscythes are 2 to 4.
- Royal court MUST include at least one Lord and one Cryptek.
- Obyron can replace a Lord.
- Illuminator and Orikan can replace a Cryptek.

Means what I've wanted which is a to be able to take a unit of Stalkers. I like using Deathmarks, so being able to take 2 squads of Deathmarks and a squad of Stalkers is going to be rad if true.

Deathmarks are the only good thing in the Elites slot sorry.

quote:

The thing that especially sucks is those C'Tan cards are going to be limited so it will be next to impossible to play with one. Great work, GW.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 20, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I finished some models this month :toot:

I've already shown the progress shot of this a few pages back. It's a bit of a flip color-wise for my DA army, which is normally bone white all around, but trying to airbrush the bone color on top of doing the red just turned out kind of annoying and fiddly. So instead, I'm going to fluff it that for command squads, their armor is black, hearkening back to the pre-Heresy color scheme (as the Angels of Absolution believe themselves to be 'absolved' of their own sins). Makes them pop on the field too. I'm not sure if I want to go back and do that for Terminator command squads too, though.

Mortis-pattern Dreadnought. Inside is Chaplain Leraje, noted for his unusually keen eye and sharp-shooting skills. Grievously wounded during the Corinthian Crusade, he was interred in one of the rare and ancient Mortis dreadnoughts, as befitting his skill at firearms.

Assault Cannon Dreadnought, which will eventually have a flamestorm cannon arm so I can use him as a siege-pattern dread. Sitri was a former sergeant for the 3rd company assault squad, known for his bellicose attitude and willingness to get into the thick of things. Personally slew five rhuberic marines in personal combat to secure an important objective before succumbing to his wounds, and for his tenacity and bravery was interred inside a suit of dreadnought armor. I went with chipped armor around the edges to further give the impression of a bloody-minded marine inside there, charging headlong into things and smashing them apart.

Librarian Eligos. I modeled him as having a force weapon that could be either a staff or an axe, depending on how I feel like arming him for a battle. I wasn't originally happy with how the axe head came out, but the more I thought of it the more comfortable I was with it being 'rough and sloppy.' It's an axe, it's not exactly a subtle and elegant weapon.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Well I feel like a schlub posting this after the awesomeness above, but I got back from a little mini-vacation and did the basing on a squad of Marines. Didn't take me to long, I think I can knock out an easy 10 models a day just in my spare time.

I am curious if this looks adequate if some more colors should be added. In the future I might put more effort into some characters, but I am not looking to sink to much time into my rank and file

Fake Edit: Slimnoid's Librarian makes me so envious.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 20, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uroboros posted:

Well I feel like a schlub posting this after the awesomeness above, but I got back from a little mini-vacation and did the basing on a squad of Marines. Didn't take me to long, I think I can knock out an easy 10 models a day just in my spare time.

I am curious if this looks adequate if some more colors should be added. In the future I might put more effort into some characters, but I am not looking to sink to much time into my rank and file

For knocking them out quick they are looking pretty good. I don't think they need anything else, as long as the serg has a splash of color (easiest way is to either have the bare head or color the helmet different). You could try adding spice with a knee or shoulder symbol to distinguish the squad, but it's not needed.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

The Sergeant is hiding off to the left with a red helmet, banner, and some sort of tabard. This was my first squad from way back in August, so I've done some basic improving. I just went back and based them since a lot of people felt they weren't complete without them. I will say I do like them more now. I just wanted some thoughts before I slap some Pod Modge on there and seal that poo poo.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Nah man those look fine! Very nice shade of blue there, too. I noticed that one marine (middle right there) doesn't have gold on one shoulder pad trim, and that some of their bolters have grey edge highlighting but not all of them. Get those done and they'd look like a nice, cohesive unit.

As LordAba said, some squad markings could help liven the unit up a little. Even just a simple squad number on the kneepads goes a long way. If you have a pin vice, drill the barrels too. Always drill your barrels. Always.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Is there any appreciable difference between Formations found in data slate and the like, and Apocalyptic Formations as referred to in the apoc book? Like, do rules that refer to apoc formations work for formations that aren't in that book?

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Fix posted:

Is there any appreciable difference between Formations found in data slate and the like, and Apocalyptic Formations as referred to in the apoc book? Like, do rules that refer to apoc formations work for formations that aren't in that book?

Formations can be included in any game you want. Apocalypse Formations are for Apocalypse games only.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Apoc Formations are only for Apoc, unfortunately. I think they've mostly been phased out, but there's nothing out there saying they're 40k legal. Pretty much one of the only differences between 40k and Apoc nowadays.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

Nah man those look fine! Very nice shade of blue there, too. I noticed that one marine (middle right there) doesn't have gold on one shoulder pad trim, and that some of their bolters have grey edge highlighting but not all of them. Get those done and they'd look like a nice, cohesive unit.

As LordAba said, some squad markings could help liven the unit up a little. Even just a simple squad number on the kneepads goes a long way. If you have a pin vice, drill the barrels too. Always drill your barrels. Always.

Thanks, I'll definitely put a bit more effort in later tactical squads. The one guy without the gold trim is that way simply because his pauldron actually lacks trim, it is completely smooth to begin with. I've already put a coat of sealant on these guys months ago, should I still go and drill out the barrels?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Thanks, I'll definitely put a bit more effort in later tactical squads. The one guy without the gold trim is that way simply because his pauldron actually lacks trim, it is completely smooth to begin with. I've already put a coat of sealant on these guys months ago, should I still go and drill out the barrels?

Yeah, go ahead. You might have to touch up with some metallic paint after but it should be fine. Most varnishes can be painted over without a problem, for the record--super handy when doing something like the banner I did, since I used a micron pen for a lot of blacklining and the like. Really good stuff for freehanding, I'd suggest grabbing one or two.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uroboros posted:

I think those look great! I think what others have said is on the mark, do some weathering possibly. I've just started using this technique on my Chaos Space Marines and it comes out incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZFUsL37JE4

There's a couple of more tutorials on that weathering technique and yes you can use it on a painted miniature, it's probably my go to technique for weathering as it's such a simple technique.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 20, 2015

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ProfessorCurly posted:

Formations can be included in any game you want. Apocalypse Formations are for Apocalypse games only.

But as for an actual apoc game, rules referring to apocalyptic formations should work on regular data sheet formations as well?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Aww poo poo, the Solar Auxilia is rolling out the big guns.

I hope this isn't the stormhammer. I know it is, but the front mounted turret really doesn't do it for me. I want it to look like it did from epic :(

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

SRM posted:

This is pretty dope. That gold is real nice, and the transfers look good. The caution stripes look dope too; did you use some really thin painter's tape for them?

I took regular blue painters tape and cut out thinner strips by hand. Next time I'll try and make them a little more even; and I'll make sure to actually do chevrons! Can't believe I messed that up.

Boon posted:

One seriously great looking Knight who stands over a skull made of miniature skulls :black101:

It's actually a gila monster skull:

They're all bumpy for some reason. I found it in a terrarium section of a pet store throttled the life out of one with my bare hands and boiled the carcass.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's actually a gila monster skull:

They're all bumpy for some reason. I found it in a terrarium section of a pet store throttled the life out of one with my bare hands and boiled the carcass.

I thought it was a frog skull, but at least I was closer :v:

BULBASAUR posted:

I hope this isn't the stormhammer. I know it is, but the front mounted turret really doesn't do it for me. I want it to look like it did from epic :(

Both turrets look rear mounted to me, the large appears to be so large that is is rear, mid and front mounted all at once.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Wait so the rumours are you don't even know what weapon you're using before the ctan fires? Wow.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Can someone identify what sort technique is used for the red here?

Chiming in a little late here, but I don't think this is the usual mephiston red + agrax wash + highlights which produces a blood angles type brownish-red, the overall tone seems more crimson than brown to me.

My guess is the basecoat is Mephiston Red, then washed with either Nuln Oil or Carroburg Crimson, followed by a layer of Mephiston (leaving the shade visible in places), a highlight of some pinkish-red layer like maybe Evil Sunz Scarlet or Pink Horror with the red glaze, and possibly finished with a glaze of Bloodletter (more certainly if nuln was used earlier, this would give it a more reddish tinge).

Try experimenting on some things with those colors (What, you're saying you DON'T have the complete paint box? what kind of Imperial Citizen are you?), you'll probably figure something out.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Two things:

One ^^^ I do a similar red. Start with black, then Mephiston, then Scab Red Equivalent, then wash with Carroburg Crimson. A decent Carroburg wash will get a really nice dark red. See my Praetor's back -

Thats just one layer of wash. You could very easily do two and get it really smooth and dark.

The other thing is -

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3610

Independent Characters finishing in April! Why would you do this to us Carl?! In all seriousness I've loved the podcast, and you've really got me and my three main gaming buddies heavily into forge world (our wallets have not loved you). Keep up the hobbying...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

I finished some models this month :toot:

I've already shown the progress shot of this a few pages back. It's a bit of a flip color-wise for my DA army, which is normally bone white all around, but trying to airbrush the bone color on top of doing the red just turned out kind of annoying and fiddly. So instead, I'm going to fluff it that for command squads, their armor is black, hearkening back to the pre-Heresy color scheme (as the Angels of Absolution believe themselves to be 'absolved' of their own sins). Makes them pop on the field too. I'm not sure if I want to go back and do that for Terminator command squads too, though.

Mortis-pattern Dreadnought. Inside is Chaplain Leraje, noted for his unusually keen eye and sharp-shooting skills. Grievously wounded during the Corinthian Crusade, he was interred in one of the rare and ancient Mortis dreadnoughts, as befitting his skill at firearms.

Assault Cannon Dreadnought, which will eventually have a flamestorm cannon arm so I can use him as a siege-pattern dread. Sitri was a former sergeant for the 3rd company assault squad, known for his bellicose attitude and willingness to get into the thick of things. Personally slew five rhuberic marines in personal combat to secure an important objective before succumbing to his wounds, and for his tenacity and bravery was interred inside a suit of dreadnought armor. I went with chipped armor around the edges to further give the impression of a bloody-minded marine inside there, charging headlong into things and smashing them apart.

Librarian Eligos. I modeled him as having a force weapon that could be either a staff or an axe, depending on how I feel like arming him for a battle. I wasn't originally happy with how the axe head came out, but the more I thought of it the more comfortable I was with it being 'rough and sloppy.' It's an axe, it's not exactly a subtle and elegant weapon.

Needed quoting, cause these guys are awesome. The banner turned out great, and that axe is :krad:!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Lord Twisted posted:

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3610

Independent Characters finishing in April! Why would you do this to us Carl?! In all seriousness I've loved the podcast, and you've really got me and my three main gaming buddies heavily into forge world (our wallets have not loved you). Keep up the hobbying...

This is really disappointing, even if I understand Carl's reasons. The ICs is what got me back into 40k after a long, long time away, and my hobby won't be the same without ot. At risk of sounding crass, does anyone have any good narrative-style 40k podcast recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sulecrist posted:

This is really disappointing, even if I understand Carl's reasons. The ICs is what got me back into 40k after a long, long time away, and my hobby won't be the same without ot.

Same here - and this just after I got all the rest of my gaming group listening to the ICs! I suggested that the ICs do Christmas shows or something like that, periodically, just like the good British TV shows do, but who knows.

quote:

At risk of sounding crass, does anyone have any good narrative-style 40k podcast recommendations?

Entirely coincidentally, I've been talking with one of our other players about starting a podcast after getting the suggestion from Jason on the Overlords (the American guy). I've just secured the domain name and Facebook group name today but it'll be a few weeks before we'll have anything ready to upload for general consumption. Our USP will be a big 'tactica' segment in every show, going through the latest codexes, formations and dataslates, how to use the various units and how to counter them, but we'll talk about news and hobby stuff too. It'll be mostly wargaming but also some RPGs and boardgames too, since we play those every week as well.

• Locked thread