Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I too regularly compliment random people on their hairstyle. That's what actual people do right ? The fact that this person claims to have social anxiety doesn't render this even less believable, no siiir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
A panic attack from a hug?

Yeah that's a redditor alright.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wastrel_ posted:

Not completely sure how classroom management is done in other countries, but in all these tales that involve uniquely bright students the teachers seem to always let them behave however the gently caress they want.

Speaking as an actual teacher, I allow my students to express themselves but there have to be clear limits to behaviour. Wearing a set of headphones every lesson is ridiculously over that limit. No, it doesn't matter how much of a *~~*brilliant and special snowflake*~~* you are.

I got away with a lot of stuff simply by being polite and nice and not making waves (also charming and handsome and humble) and once had a girl start literally screaming about how I get special treatment and get away with everything and how the rules don't apply to me while I was eating potato chips in class. I just kinda put my chips away while she was sent to the principal. You'd be surprised what you can get away with just by not looking like you have anything to hide so I can believe stories about students not getting in trouble for some stuff. It's the long righteous speeches that make it STDH for me. Hell, I'm a locksmith so I have a TON of ridiculous stories that would be, and have been, labeled STDH and none of them include a long speech (and only one with Albert Einstein)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When I was a kid, the students who were true terrors tended to get away with a lot.
The teacher would probably rather let someone chew gum in class than say something and risk having the kid in foster care who is failing all his classes throw a chair at her. Again.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Do you actually learn what year every gun was invented just from going to the shooting range once a week? Like, do they drill you with gun history in between shooting or something?

I didn't give any shits about Chris Kyle until suddenly American Sniper was nominated for all these awards. Now I get irrationally angry every time it comes up. His story about killing two thugs at a Texas gas station reads like absolutely classic STDH:

quote:

I first asked him about the story last summer, during an interview in his Dallas office. I said: “Now, I have to ask you about an incident that I’ve heard about. I heard it happened at a gas station.”

He said: “You mean the time I shot two guys trying to steal my truck?”

I sat there stunned for a few seconds. The incredible story I’d heard, I figured there was no way it was true.

“It’s true,” he said.

He proceeded to tell me about that day. It was in January 2009, just weeks after he retired from the Navy. It was cold that morning, and he was wearing a heavy winter coat. He was driving his truck — his now famous black F350 with the large rims and impressive grill — when he needed to stop for gas. He pulled into a station right off highway 67.

As he got out of the truck, two men approached. Both had guns in their hands. One pointed his weapon at Kyle. They told him to hand over his keys. Kyle was out of the truck, on the passenger’s side.

“I told them I would get them the keys,” he told me. “I told them they were in the truck and to just let me reach in.”

He noticed the man pointing the gun didn’t seem very confident. Kyle knew what confidence with a gun looked like.

As Kyle turned, leaning into the open passenger door of the truck, he reached into his own waistband. With his right hand, he grabbed his Colt 1911. He fired two shots under his left armpit, hitting the first guy twice in the chest. Then he turned slightly and fired twice more, hitting the second man twice in the chest. Both men fell dead.

Kyle leaned on his truck and waited for the police.

He said he was later told that trucks like his are very popular among car thieves because they’re frequently taken over the Mexican border. He said they’d passed up the car in front of his, even though it was a relatively new Cadillac.

Kyle told me that the entire incident was caught on the gas station’s surveillance cameras. He said he gave the responding officers a phone number to call. Presumably someone high up in the government explained to the officers who Kyle was. He said the officers were very understanding, that they didn’t want to drag a just-home, highly decorated veteran into a messy legal situation that would surely draw a harsh media spotlight.

Kyle told me that he knew the tape was out there somewhere, because he would randomly get emails from police officers all over the country, thanking him for “cleaning up the streets.”

Mm-hmmmm, sounds super plausible.

But hey, it's confirmed as the truth, because he said it happened! True patriots never lie.

quote:

After our talk, I called the police chiefs of several towns along 67. Most of them had heard of the incident. One, speaking only on background, said he knew some of his men had at least seen the tape. But request after request provided no police reports and no tape ... Now that the story is coming out in other places, though, it needed to be confirmed. So consider this story confirmed from the man himself. In every sense of the word, Chris Kyle was a true American badass.

Source

Lowly has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Jan 20, 2015

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
What the gently caress is that last line about? "Consider the story confirmed because the guy who originally told it told it to us again. A true American bad rear end."

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

edit: an idiot phone posting.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I get irrationally angry every time someone mentions Chris Kyle and acts like he's gods gift to the USA.

I've tried to point out how much of a shitbag he is, but apparently I'm a "sand friend of the family loving goat fucker" and I "support terrorism" because I called a "Real American Hero" a piece of poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah. He was a giant tool and he was completely full of poo poo in every way. He may be good with a rifle, but he's such an atrocious person over all that it's been super annoying lately.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

canyoneer posted:

When I was a kid, the students who were true terrors tended to get away with a lot.
The teacher would probably rather let someone chew gum in class than say something and risk having the kid in foster care who is failing all his classes throw a chair at her. Again.

yeah those loving foster kids always throwing chairs.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Fathis Munk posted:

I too regularly compliment random people on their hairstyle. That's what actual people do right ? The fact that this person claims to have social anxiety doesn't render this even less believable, no siiir.

I do :ohdear: If I'm in an especially good mood I'll compliment other people (that I may or may not know) on things that I think look especially nice. I guess I like to think that sometimes a random compliment is a nice thing to receive?

And I do have social anxiety, though I tend not to do that sort of thing when I'm feeling, you know, anxious. I've also never had anyone break down in tears because I said I liked their shoes.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Duke Igthorn posted:

Hell, I'm a locksmith so I have a TON of ridiculous stories that would be, and have been, labeled STDH and none of them include a long speech (and only one with Albert Einstein)

But did you marry any of your customers?

(Crazy locksmith stories sound cool, you should do a thread in Ask/Tell.)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

I too regularly compliment random people on their hairstyle. That's what actual people do right ?

I do that sometimes? That's not that weird is it?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Turtlicious posted:

yeah those loving foster kids always throwing chairs.

Foster kids often have problems and behavior like this is not uncommon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lowly posted:

Do you actually learn what year every gun was invented just from going to the shooting range once a week?

It's easy to remember that the AK47 was developed in '47 because it's in its name. :eng101:

(That doesn't work for the AR-15 though)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

nucleicmaxid posted:

Yeah. He was a giant tool and he was completely full of poo poo in every way. He may be good with a rifle, but he's such an atrocious person over all that it's been super annoying lately.

My uncle teared up when telling a family member how he got killed, as if what he did was a well informed decision that had surprising consequences and not the product of his own PTSD.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Palisader posted:

I do :ohdear: If I'm in an especially good mood I'll compliment other people (that I may or may not know) on things that I think look especially nice. I guess I like to think that sometimes a random compliment is a nice thing to receive?

And I do have social anxiety, though I tend not to do that sort of thing when I'm feeling, you know, anxious. I've also never had anyone break down in tears because I said I liked their shoes.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Huh, well guess that proves me wrong :shrug:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

nucleicmaxid posted:

Surprisingly, humans enjoy being sincerely complimented. It pleasures members of the species at an emotional, rather than intellectual, level. It is recommended in situations that can be found in social or outdoor settings. Over-- or obsequious complementing may have the unfortunate effect of being considered disturbing, which human females refer to as 'creepy'. Males may respond violently. If in doubt, refer to guide XHSS1-89, 'human interaction'.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I guess it's just that I have never been complimented by a random stranger :smith: There you have it, the truth is out, are you happy now? :colbert:

I really wonder why Clint picked that American sniper book to make a movie of. It has just so much ugly attached to it. Why not just make a story up so at least you don't glorify a person like Chris kyle.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Fathis Munk posted:

I guess it's just that I have never been complimented by a random stranger :smith: There you have it, the truth is out, are you happy now? :colbert:

I really wonder why Clint picked that American sniper book to make a movie of. It has just so much ugly attached to it. Why not just make a story up so at least you don't glorify a person like Chris kyle.

Probably because he's a huge racist?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Pidmon posted:

Man Clint, I want to like you :smith:.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Fathis Munk posted:

Why not go see the movie and then you'll know what it's like? Hell, people make movies about criminals all the time.

As for criminals, look no further than this:

quote:

The Name Shame
SCHOOL | CORNWALL, ENGLAND, UK | FAMILY & KIDS, LANGUAGE & WORDS, PARENTS, TEACHERS
(My husband’s family are Irish and we have a very traditional Irish surname, 12 letters including an apostrophe. Most adults can’t pronounce it, let alone spell it. My daughter has been in year one for about three weeks. She is a good student, enjoys school, and is well behaved so I am surprised when I go to collect her and the teacher asks to see me.)

Teacher: “Mrs. [My Name].” *she tries twice and can’t say my surname right so we stick to my Christian name* “We haven’t had a good day. Your daughter has been very rude to both myself and our TA. She has refused to do a piece of work the class was set and at one point even called the TA stupid.”

(I look at my daughter and she looks both angry and upset. As this is unlike her I ask her what happened. The teacher interrupts her and talks to me.)

Teacher: “We have been practicing writing our full names and [Daughter] was having some trouble. She asked for help and it was given the first time but we can’t do the work for them.”

Me: *to my daughter* “Again, what happened?”

(This time the TA interrupts to try and tell me something.)

Me: “Okay. I’ve asked my daughter twice now and both times she has been interrupted. Are you going to let her tell me or are you trying to hide something?”

(This keeps them quiet long enough for my daughter to explain. The children were given a typed piece of paper with their name on it. They had to copy it into their books and write the name several times. My daughter had asked for a little more time when the TA took the typed names away. She was told which letters to write to finish the first one but had to do it herself after. The teacher then shows me my daughter’s book. On the first line our name is spelled wrong so she then copied it with the mistake. The teacher had admonished her for doing it wrong and asked her to do it again but she had refused, called the TA stupid for spelling it wrong in the first place, and been angry with them all day. I close my daughter’s book, take her pencils and paper off the table, push it over to the teacher and TA, and ask them to write our surname out. They look flustered and just stare at me.)

Me: “Having trouble? I thought so. You do realise you want a five year old to write a 12-letter word. Neither of you can do it, so how the h*** do you expect her to be able? I understand it’s a difficult name but don’t you think that if two, highly educated people in their 30s can’t do it then it will probably be even harder for someone who has only been writing for a year?! You tell her the incorrect spelling then tell her off for spelling it wrong and then wonder why she thinks you’re stupid. I’ll tell you what I’m going to do. First, I’m going to see the Early Years coordinator and explain what happened. Then I’m going to explain to my daughter how even if people are stupid you shouldn’t say it to their face. Then I’m going to practice writing our surname the CORRECT way – at home, where she won’t be ridiculed for someone else’s mistakes and ignorance.”

(I gather my daughter’s things up and take her hand. Just as I’m leaving the room I turn to see them sitting there totally bewildered but realising what they had done to my daughter.)

Me: “Maybe you two should write my surname out 10 times each without any help and I’ll pick it up tomorrow when I bring her to school.”

(Needless to say, the coordinator was horrified by both their actions toward my daughter. The typed name cards are now laminated and left on the children’s table for them to use whenever they need them.)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

It doesn't even make any goddamned sense.

Let us, from 2015, travel back to when Hitler was alive and go kill him with AK-47s.

"The AK-47 wasn't invented until 1947!!!"

That's the most implausible part of this? Not like, the time travel??

I mean if you can time travel who gives a gently caress when the Kalashnikov was released?!?
Plus it was designed in '46 and released in '48 so wrong anyways!

Then says "no need, he killed himself" well of course the point would be to kill him before the war started.
And if she wasn't assuming time travel, then he whenever fictional time this is they're going to kill Hitler, he's still alive.

:psyduck:

Have you never watched The Terminator?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Khazar-khum posted:

Why not go see the movie and then you'll know what it's like? Hell, people make movies about criminals all the time.

Kids get their names down quick. While I only knew of two kids with only 9-letter surnames, the kids knew them by age 5 easy.

On the other hand, I was a retard baby and had trouble with my 4-letter surname so either way :downs:

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Duke Igthorn posted:

I got away with a lot of stuff simply by being polite and nice and not making waves (also charming and handsome and humble) and once had a girl start literally screaming about how I get special treatment and get away with everything and how the rules don't apply to me while I was eating potato chips in class. I just kinda put my chips away while she was sent to the principal. You'd be surprised what you can get away with just by not looking like you have anything to hide so I can believe stories about students not getting in trouble for some stuff. It's the long righteous speeches that make it STDH for me. Hell, I'm a locksmith so I have a TON of ridiculous stories that would be, and have been, labeled STDH and none of them include a long speech (and only one with Albert Einstein)

Like I said, I can't speak for how classroom management is done in other countries. Students can get away with stuff by being polite; it just doesn't extend to wearing headphones all the time because not only do I doubt their ability to hear - let alone pay attention to - lessons, it also appears to show an unwillingness to engage with the teacher or classmates. I would like to engage all my students, so I wouldn't let that fly in my classroom.

Nor, for the matter, would I allow anyone to eat chips while I'm conducting a lesson! it's a classroom, not a cinema. Not that I'm doubting your story though, because it's still more believable that that would be allowed, than somene being allowed to wear headphones all day in school.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Nah man, a lot of teachers let you eat in class if you're quiet and not a troublemaker. At least in the states it's not that uncommon.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

That whole premise doesnt make any sense. Putting aside the idea the kid would probably just think they messed up and not get righteously indignant with the teacher, the teachers knew they hosed up and tried to cover it up twice. Why would they even bring it up to the parent? The whole story was made up by someone who doesn't have a kid and probably just saw a long last name once.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

jodai posted:

That whole premise doesnt make any sense. Putting aside the idea the kid would probably just think they messed up and not get righteously indignant with the teacher, the teachers knew they hosed up and tried to cover it up twice. Why would they even bring it up to the parent? The whole story was made up by someone who doesn't have a kid and probably just saw a long last name once.

Considering some of the teachers I had in elementary school, it actually wouldn't surprise me. Some of them absolutely can't handle the idea that they hosed up and a young kid was right, to the point that they will notify parents about it.

I mean the story itself sounds like it either didn't happen or was incredibly exaggerated/embellished, but not so much because the teachers and administrators are being dumb.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

jodai posted:

O'Shaughnessy?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

trickybiscuits posted:

O'Shaughnessy?
O'Didnthappen

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pidmon posted:

Lmao

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Kimmalah posted:

Considering some of the teachers I had in elementary school, it actually wouldn't surprise me. Some of them absolutely can't handle the idea that they hosed up and a young kid was right, to the point that they will notify parents about it.

I mean the story itself sounds like it either didn't happen or was incredibly exaggerated/embellished, but not so much because the teachers and administrators are being dumb.

Agreed. My poor sister was flatly told she was wrong about her first name by her CCD teacher one year and my mom had to straighten her out. She didn't lay a rambling narrative sick burn on her, though, just curtly verified my sister's name when she picked up from class.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Fathis Munk posted:

Fathis Munk, I just want you to know that your shirt today looks really nice on you and also your avatar is great.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

You probably don't live in an area where it's common. Some areas of the U.S. it's normal. Some it isn't.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

nucleicmaxid posted:

You probably don't live in an area where it's common. Some areas of the U.S. it's normal. Some it isn't.

Well I don't even live in the US :v: I guess French people are compliment stingy. Especially in Paris which does not surprise me!

Palisader posted:

Fathis Munk, I just want you to know that your shirt today looks really nice on you and also your avatar is great.

:3:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

Well I don't even live in the US :v: I guess French people are compliment stingy. Especially in Paris which does not surprise me!

:3:

Yeah that makes a ton of sense. Also I really like your avatar too. Adorable confused kitty.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Reddit lies in the most over the top manner and tumblr lies in the most mundane boring manner. What is wrong with people on the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

My kindergarten teacher tried to force me to be right-handed, because she didn't "believe in" being left-handed. My mom raked her over the coals for that, but if I had called the teacher stupid in class, I would have been equally raked over the coals because that's not appropriate, even if you're right and even if the teacher's being an rear end in a top hat. At least, calling people stupid to their faces, even if it's true, is pretty loving rude where I come from.

Content:

• Locked thread