Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Depressio111117 posted:

please. no. stop.

I hate Liza's character and everything surrounding Liza's character.

Well, hated I guess.

It's about drat time one of the crime bosses started acting like, y'know, a crime boss. Maybe now all this gang war nonsense will start being not rock-loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So that's why Barbara doesn't have a soul. Her parents don't either.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oh jay posted:

So that's why Barbara doesn't have a soul. Her parents don't either.

She had a picture taken of her when she was a kid.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It was nice to see a mob boss actually consider the other offer for once.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

jscolon2.0 posted:

Looks like Gordon has found himself a new Companion.

Richard Castle to the rescue?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

After that trailer, though, I'm really hoping they aren't expecting us to root for Fish's escape. Just let her get tortured to death, please.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I for one, will miss Fish.

Penguin's smile and over-pronunciation (is that even a word?) of her nickname was priceless.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I don;t know why I'm surprised. Penguins always eat fish, after all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BreakAtmo posted:

Boooo, gotham writer spotted!

on the subject. Wasn't Ed's riddle cupcake more of a analogy cake?
I'm glad he's got some more years to work on his material

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 20, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BreakAtmo posted:

I don't give a gently caress what people say, I still want him to say something like that when she gets executed

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just kill Barbara and make Morena Baccarin a regular. Seriously.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Aces High posted:

I don't give a gently caress what people say, I still want him to say something like that when she gets executed

Oh lord, he probably will. They'll have named her Fish just to do that scene.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
Weird that marone let penguin off that easily. oh well....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed that episode, particularly Gordon "defusing" the Electrocutioner and the way his face fell when he realized Jim had just completely outplayed him. Bullock's horrified stumbling along in Gordon's wake was pretty great too, especially when Gordon told him he was done "being careful". The two have a really great buddy/partner dynamic now.

That said, this is still an extraordinarily stupid (if fun) show, and nowhere was that more apparent than Fish's unbelievably stupid plan. Like seriously, she was going to get him to sign "papers"? Falcone's incredulous,"You think that'll make you a Don :stare:" was hilarious.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 20, 2015

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Imagine my crushing disappointment when Fish was not just popped on the spot and in fact will be in another episode. Oh well.

And yeah, Bullock's "You think you were being careful :stare:" moment was wonderful.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
Gotham: "You think... you've been careful... so far?"

Pretty good episode by Gotham standards, even without Alfred and Bruce. Somehow they even managed to make Barbara sympathetic for a brief moment.

The one thing that really bothered me is how anyone could think that voodoo doll looked anything like Maroni. It's as if the prop department made it look like the wrong mob boss and the director was like "gently caress it, just roll".

pookerbug fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 20, 2015

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Jerusalem posted:

That said, this is still an extraordinarily stupid (if fun) show, and nowhere was that more apparent than Fish's unbelievably stupid plan. Like seriously, she was going to get him to sign "papers"? Falcone's incredulous,"You think that'll make you a Don :stare:" was hilarious.

See, I thought Liza was supposed to eventually poison Falcone or something, not just make him...feel bad and sign over the mob boss papers? The whole scheme sounded really dumb.

Jerusalem posted:

I really enjoyed that episode, particularly Gordon "defusing" the Electrocutioner and the way his face fell when he realized Jim had just completely outplayed him.

This was pretty great though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yet another episode with Bruce and Alfred being completely absent, and while I generally like them in the show, I can't say I minded too much. This show is finally starting to feel like a Jim Gordon show and not a Batman prequel. Gordon is finally getting some characterization and his interactions with Bullock are great. I loved how easily he defused the bad guy without using any force and just outsmarting the egotistical moron.
The mob stuff was pretty great too, with Liza kicking the bucket and the Roman actually acting like a mobster again.
I didn't even mind the Barbara stuff this time around as the writers actually tried to give her a bit of dimension for once.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jerusalem posted:

That said, this is still an extraordinarily stupid (if fun) show

I agree, but at least lately they've been embracing the stupid. I think for me the "oh, THAT'S the tone they're going for" moment was when they chained the nuns up in front of the tunnel to stop traffic.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
One quick question here, does Fish's nightclub even have a name? Everyone just refers to it as Fish's Place. I just noticed that this episode.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

David D. Davidson posted:

One quick question here, does Fish's nightclub even have a name? Everyone just refers to it as Fish's Place. I just noticed that this episode.

According to some Gotham wiki the club is called Mooney's Nightclub, which is slightly better than Fish's Place.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Bruceski posted:

I agree, but at least lately they've been embracing the stupid. I think for me the "oh, THAT'S the tone they're going for" moment was when they chained the nuns up in front of the tunnel to stop traffic.

I honestly didn't mind that part... I don't know why people bitch about it so much. I don't remember the scene 100% but if I remember, the van goes by them, stops and backs up. To me, it looked like a spurr of the moment thing for Butch. It was great. Seriously, who is not gonna stop for nuns?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dalael posted:

I honestly didn't mind that part... I don't know why people bitch about it so much. I don't remember the scene 100% but if I remember, the van goes by them, stops and backs up. To me, it looked like a spurr of the moment thing for Butch. It was great. Seriously, who is not gonna stop for nuns?

The El Salvadorian government.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Require More Fire posted:

According to some Gotham wiki the club is called Mooney's Nightclub, which is slightly better than Fish's Place.

I was gonna comment that calling it the Iceberg Lounge might be a bit too on the nose, but then again maybe I am giving this show too much credit.

If they did reveal that it was called that I would laugh waaaaaaaay harder than I did when the doctor walked into the men's change room with just the excuse of "the Duty Sergeant said I could come in here"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I imagine that Penguin is going to change the name to that as a sign of him taking over.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Call me crazy... I don't think we're going to see Fish die next episode. Maybe even ever. I am not sure why I have that feeling, but I'm sure they can use her character for more plots.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dalael posted:

Call me crazy... I don't think we're going to see Fish die next episode. Maybe even ever. I am not sure why I have that feeling, but I'm sure they can use her character for more plots.

We aren't because Carmine said "keep her alive for now" which pretty much means that she is a. going to escape or b. get killed by the Penguin much later in the season. My money is on a.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Fish's Plaice, surely.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Squalitude posted:

Fish's Plaice, surely.

With a name like the that, the club would be sure to flounder.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

With a name like the that, the club would be sure to flounder.

Although I'm sure Penguin's takeover will go swimmingly.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
He's never one to miss an oppor-tuna-ty.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Penguin's goons will ask him what to do with his enemies by reading of a list one by one - Penguin will respond to each by telling them to whack the enemy. Eventually he will get frustrated with the lengthy process and just start going,"WHACK WHACK WHACK! WACK WACK WACK! WAK WAK WAK!"

The show wins an Emmy.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Aces High posted:

If they did reveal that it was called that I would laugh waaaaaaaay harder than I did when the doctor walked into the men's change room with just the excuse of "the Duty Sergeant said I could come in here"

Speaking of, did Gordon have a shower with his clothes on or what

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

imperialparadox posted:

See, I thought Liza was supposed to eventually poison Falcone or something, not just make him...feel bad and sign over the mob boss papers? The whole scheme sounded really dumb.

Also, she was apparently chosen because she looked like Falcone's mom? Wasn't she in a tryout against a completely different-looking woman? Where she had to prove she could fight and stuff because being tough and crazy was going to be important? Then all she had to do was sing that song to get his attention and be nice to him. Did Falcone just literally not have anyone in his entire life that he liked a lot so Fish had to craft someone fake to be effective leverage?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dalael posted:

Exactly. That was the point I started loving the stupid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Metropolis posted:

Also, she was apparently chosen because she looked like Falcone's mom? Wasn't she in a tryout against a completely different-looking woman? Where she had to prove she could fight and stuff because being tough and crazy was going to be important? Then all she had to do was sing that song to get his attention and be nice to him. Did Falcone just literally not have anyone in his entire life that he liked a lot so Fish had to craft someone fake to be effective leverage?

The other one was the better singer, so presumably Fish was at first just looking for somebody who could reach Falcone's memory through her voice, but the other lady (I feel bad I don't recall her name) had the right look, and since she proved she was a fighter (which never came up ever again) Fish decided to go with her over the better singer.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The other one was the better singer, so presumably Fish was at first just looking for somebody who could reach Falcone's memory through her voice, but the other lady (I feel bad I don't recall her name) had the right look, and since she proved she was a fighter (which never came up ever again) Fish decided to go with her over the better singer.

The interview process was clearly looking for a ruthless femme fatale. What was the "now seduce me!" for? "Ah yes, thats exactly how the old lady kissed." Why did she have to beat the other candidate to death? Still love the show, dude playing Penguin should get an Emmy.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I just watched all of this for the first time and I never thought I'd say that Penguin is the best part of a Batman offshoot. It's ridiculous as hell, but I'm loving every bit of it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

They're going to be calling it 'The Fishmonger' from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I got caught up last night, and that was a pretty good episode I thought. Less Bruce and less Barbara seems to be the right mix for a better all-around show.

Although I don't know why, but Zsasz is one of my favorite characters on this show. I never read Batman comics, so I'm not sure how far they diverged from the canon, but his weirdness and his Depeche Mode underlings are entertaining.

• Locked thread