Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom P. Baxter
Apr 26, 2005
How do you know my language!?!?!

LadyPictureShow posted:

While I liked the Wade Boggs/Boss Hogg visions, and overall it was funny, the episode just seemed a little jumbled and abrupt overall. Anybody else get that feeling? But I'll say, for an episode in their tenth season, it wasn't that bad. I agree with some other posters Charlie woulda been fine without the subtitles, though.

I felt that way, too. The episode didn't seem all that great to me, but I was still amused the whole way through. And more than once I busted out into loud laughter. I guess that's a testament to the quality of the show and how much I love it that even when I feel underwhelmed it's still a highly amusing episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Classy as poo poo, eh?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Tom P. Baxter posted:

I felt that way, too. The episode didn't seem all that great to me, but I was still amused the whole way through. And more than once I busted out into loud laughter. I guess that's a testament to the quality of the show and how much I love it that even when I feel underwhelmed it's still a highly amusing episode.

It was a solid episode on the whole - it just wasn't amazing. I think Dee confusing Wade Boggs for Boss Hogg was my favourite gag.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I really enjoyed this episode other than the people who are more focused on it being impossible to drink that much beer and not die.

I don't know about alcohol, but I've known plenty of people whose opiate use had built them up to a point where they needed to take 2-3x more than an amount that would kill me . Even if it's not the same for alcohol so what, it's a comedy show and who cares if it was 30, 50, or 70 beers. Teammates talking about how Wade Boggs just drank non-stop is great enough on its own.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I really enjoyed this episode other than the people who are more focused on it being impossible to drink that much beer and not die.

I don't know about alcohol, but I've known plenty of people whose opiate use had built them up to a point where they needed to take 2-3x more than an amount that would kill me . Even if it's not the same for alcohol so what, it's a comedy show and who cares if it was 30, 50, or 70 beers. Teammates talking about how Wade Boggs just drank non-stop is great enough on its own.

I really didn't mean to seem so serious about my post, but I realize it does seem that way.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
This is a couple days old but I don't think it was posted. Short article where they ask Charlie Day and Kaitlin Olson to pick their five favorite episodes so far. http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/favorite-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-episodes I was a little disappointed there wasn't more to the picks other than "I really thought that one part was funny" only because I was hoping for some behind the scenes stuff.

Kaitlin picks:
"Hundred Dollar Baby"
"Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare"
"The Gang Buys a Boat"
"The Gang Gets Analyzed"
"The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award"

Charlie's picks:
"The Gang Sells Out"
"The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell"
"The Gang Gets a New Member"
"The Gang Dines Out"
"The Gang Broke Dee"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The episode was good, but I thought Frank torturing the frat boy was too mean-spirited for the show.

I only like to see the gang torture eachother, and Cricket.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ChesterJT posted:

This is a couple days old but I don't think it was posted. Short article where they ask Charlie Day and Kaitlin Olson to pick their five favorite episodes so far. http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/favorite-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-episodes I was a little disappointed there wasn't more to the picks other than "I really thought that one part was funny" only because I was hoping for some behind the scenes stuff.

Kaitlin picks:
"Hundred Dollar Baby"
"Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare"
"The Gang Buys a Boat"
"The Gang Gets Analyzed"
"The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award"

Charlie's picks:
"The Gang Sells Out"
"The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell"
"The Gang Gets a New Member"
"The Gang Dines Out"
"The Gang Broke Dee"

I like Kaitlin's list way more than Charlie's.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Mameluke posted:

The episode was good, but I thought Frank torturing the frat boy was too mean-spirited for the show.

I actually think the Cricket torturing stuff is too mean-spirited too.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Dennis' reaction was perfect. "If this kid dies our competition is ruined!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mameluke posted:

Frank and Dennis going way over the line in The Gang Reignites the Rivalry is hilarious.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lycus posted:

I like Kaitlin's list way more than Charlie's.

Yeah, the first three of her list are pretty solidly classics.

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?
"The Gang Dines Out" is one of my favorites too.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Real, for serious alcoholics have been known to survive alcohol levels over 1. As in, their blood is over 1% alcohol. Dudes have survived 1.5 with medical intervention. That is over three times the commonly accepted lethal dose. Light beer and a heavy alcoholic, you could absolutely do the Wage Boggs thing and appear functional if your genetics are lucky and you've been pounding them for the majority of your life.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Drunk Charlie is best Charlie.

Just watched Mac is Banging the Waitress. Good times.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

How about you take your mind off of it with some pizza, and some beer?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dennis' sad attempts to coax Charlie into being his best friend are some real hilarious poo poo.
"who has the other one? Mac probably."

Also the connect four exchange is always a good laugh

quote:

What about Connect Four? - Connect Four's a fun game.
- I don't like counting.
-It's not that much counting. It's just one, two, three, and then four, you win.
-But a lot a lot of times, you got to count that much.
-Not that many times. If you get it once, you've won the game.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Something about Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy being used in that scene makes it more delightfully demented.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This is only vaguely sunny related, but it was still fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d97YCZdutF8

The philly radio hosts that were in "Mac's Big Break" find out their program director never ate certain kinds of fruit and film his reactions trying them for the first time.

He even acts like charlie when he tries a strawberry "Its like sand"

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Cage posted:

This is only vaguely sunny related, but it was still fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d97YCZdutF8

The philly radio hosts that were in "Mac's Big Break" find out their program director never ate certain kinds of fruit and film his reactions trying them for the first time.

He even acts like charlie when he tries a strawberry "Its like sand"

I love Preston and Steve

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

A Boring Story posted:

"The Gang Dines Out" is one of my favorites too.

"The Gang Broke Dee" has to easily be one of the best episodes of all though? IMO anyway. It was perfect all the way through and magnificent ending.

E: The Nightman Cometh also of course.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bleh Maestro posted:

"The Gang Broke Dee" has to easily be one of the best episodes of all though? IMO anyway. It was perfect all the way through and magnificent ending.

I agree. I think Analyzed is their #1 just because it's such a payoff, but Broke Dee is probably better for someone who doesn't know the show.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

The end of Broke Dee is so good for the opposite reason why the end of the Boggs episode was good.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

goldblums eyes posted:

The end of Broke Dee is so good for the opposite reason why the end of the Boggs episode was good.

Dennis not knowing how to react at not being in on the joke is the best part of that episode.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Have there been any interviews you guys have seen that you'd highly recommend? I've watched always sunny since the first episode but realized I've never seen them talk in an interview. Please don't tell me they're idiots?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hey. He was in on it. Sort of.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

goldblums eyes posted:

Have there been any interviews you guys have seen that you'd highly recommend? I've watched always sunny since the first episode but realized I've never seen them talk in an interview. Please don't tell me they're idiots?

It's not really an interview, but this commencement address by Charlie Day is great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulvPqb1Eus

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How did Devito end up on the show? The first season is okay, but once Danny shows up the show becomes incredible. He doesn't really seem like a natural fit, but he does so perfectly.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waltzing Along posted:

How did Devito end up on the show? The first season is okay, but once Danny shows up the show becomes incredible. He doesn't really seem like a natural fit, but he does so perfectly.

I have no idea, but I choose to believe he just kind of showed up on the set one day and refused to leave.

Edit: Hold on, I think I found the answer http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/60d14b6331/danny-devito-the-contract-from-danny-devito

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 20, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

wow.

That definitely explains it.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I'm amazed nobody brought this up, but the biggest suspension of disbelief for me is that Charlie is as wasted as he is off of 24 beers in Mac's Banging the Waitress, but he can more than double that and still be alive.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have no idea, but I choose to believe he just kind of showed up on the set one day and refused to leave.

Edit: Hold on, I think I found the answer http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/60d14b6331/danny-devito-the-contract-from-danny-devito

Well that's gonna haunt my dreams tonight.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

goldblums eyes posted:

glenn howerton and charlie did marc maron's WTF podcast, wasn't super interesting but they do talk about their past etc

also the gang cracks the liberty bell is such a great episode this part wrecks me every time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvvlhOfxKfs

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
According to the Its Always Sunny wiki Danny's son was a fan of the show and got him to watch it, he apparently loved it and as he was friends with some FX hot shot he contacted them and asked to join in.

Yes he's just about the coolest person on the planet.

As we're on the subject of cast interviews this one seems pretty interesting: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sunny-cast-talks-cancellation-cult-645164 also tells a slightly different story about Danny joining the cast:

quote:

McElhenney: We bounced a few names around, but Danny just made a lot of sense. When I went to his house to talk about it, his kids ended up being huge fans of the show and he was good friends with John Landgraf from when Landgraf ran television at [DeVito's] Jersey Films. Danny kept asking all of these questions, and I was really winging it with the character -- we had a rough idea -- so after about half an hour, he thanked me and I left. It wasn't 10 or 15 minutes before I got a call from Landgraf saying Danny was in.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 20, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I'm disappointed that nobody has mentioned The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis or The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore as their favorites.
Jersey Shore is one of my favorites solely for Rum Ham and the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zt2UgT6MO4

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Top 10, no particular order:

Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games
The Gang Gives Back
The Nightman Cometh
Who Pooped the Bed?
Charlie Kelly: King of the Rats
Frank Reynolds' Little Beauties
Thunder Gun Express
The Gang Gets Analyzed
Reynolds vs Reynolds: The Cereal Defense
The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award

The best MOMENT though is in The Gang Reignites the Rivalry when Dennis completely loses his poo poo and start shrieking "SAVAGES! IDIOTS! IDIOTS!"

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

JakeP posted:

I love Preston and Steve

Yeah, as a Philadelphoa native I can't help but adore these two men. And Kathy Romano, she's unintentionally hilarious.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth is clearly the best episode ever:

-"Professor" Charlie mentoring a fat juggalo
-Dee being a dick to children
-The blackface debate
-Dave Foley as the worst principal
-LETHAL WEAPON 5

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth is clearly the best episode ever:

-"Professor" Charlie mentoring a fat juggalo
-Dee being a dick to children
-The blackface debate
-Dave Foley as the worst principal
-LETHAL WEAPON 5
I remember the outtakes for that season having some improv from that juggalo when they were watching lethal weapon 5, some of it was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Manhunters was my introduction to the series, but I think my favorite episodes are Chardee MacDennis, the Gang Dances Their Asses Off, and the Gang Gets Trapped.