Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Are the Two Worlds games worth playing? I picked up the complete set for $4 during the Steam sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

EightDeer posted:

Are the Two Worlds games worth playing? I picked up the complete set for $4 during the Steam sale.

I completely loved it for the first...15 hours, but then it got suuuper repetitive and generic for me. My main gripes were that the world felt copy and pasted, and (some people like this) the whole game system wasn't particularly well thought out. For example, you can just pump strength and infuse your two handed blunt weapon with spirit damage, and you'll absolutely completely demolish any challenge to the game once you learn how to dodge backwards.

What I liked about it was much better found in the Gothic series. And I do wish more games copied the system of "crappy sword + crappy sword = better sword" weapon and armor combination.

CDG
Feb 20, 2010

rizuhbull posted:

action-adventure games with base-building? I loved upgrading my ship in Mass Effect 2 and the manor stuff in Assassin's Creed brotherhood (or was it 2?)

More rpgs than action adventure, but Neverwinter Nights 2 and Dragon Age Awakening both have castles you control and upgrade.

Assassins creed 4 has a similar base to the manor and also a ship to upgrade so take a look at that one if you haven't.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Looking for online PC games. Maybe some good MMOs or smaller interesting titles that aren't just shooters or MOBAs. Want to play something with a friend, but can't find anything worthwhile.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Any recommendations for games that can run unattended for pretty long periods of time? Something that can plod along and not crash and burn if I leave it to its own devices for an hour or two?

Sometimes I like having a game running in the background while I'm writing, that I can glance up at and fiddle around with once in a while when I need a break. I'm looking for a game that's more of a long-term experience; probably something simulator-ish, in which I can slowly build up something big over time.

Stuff I've used in the past...

X3:R & X3:TC. Space sims are rad. How would the new Elite work for what I'm describing? Lots of long haul space trucking on auto-pilot sounds wonderful.

Farming Simulator 15. I love this game, but a lot of stuff can't be automated, so it ends up being pretty hands-on as your farm grows.

Crusader Kings 2 always set to the slowest speed.

Any other ideas spring to mind?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You could play EU4, its not as demanding of your attention compared to CK2 due to not having to deal with vassals.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Trustworthy posted:

Sometimes I like having a game running in the background while I'm writing, that I can glance up at and fiddle around with once in a while when I need a break. I'm looking for a game that's more of a long-term experience; probably something simulator-ish, in which I can slowly build up something big over time.

Dawn of Discovery/Anno 2070 series, especially if you play a solo campaign. You can give it as much or as little attention as you want.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Any recommendations for a game that's like an offline MMORPG (e.g. WoW). I've played a bit of Xenoblade but was wondering what else is out there for PC or last gen consoles (and WiiU). Thanks.

Edit: I guess I mean open world RPG that has leveling, crafting, bosses and such.

aarstar fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 18, 2015

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Trustworthy posted:

Farming Simulator 15. I love this game, but a lot of stuff can't be automated, so it ends up being pretty hands-on as your farm grows.
Get Courseplay. I used that for FS2013. You can automate more things with it: https://courseplay.github.io/courseplay/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

aarstar posted:

Any recommendations for a game that's like an offline MMORPG (e.g. WoW). I've played a bit of Xenoblade but was wondering what else is out there for PC or last gen consoles (and WiiU). Thanks.

Edit: I guess I mean open world RPG that has leveling, crafting, bosses and such.

Give Kingdom of Alamur a look.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

aarstar posted:

The new Dragon Age is exactly that, with bonus optional multiplayer dungeon crawls (completely separate from the singleplayer component in every way other than storyline tie-ins). It's actually a fun game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681488

e: I completely slept on it until a few days ago because I figured there was no way a new Dragon Age could be good.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 18, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Any recommendations for good building stuff games? I want build a city or a house or something and watch it go.

I already own and enjoy sim city 4, kerbal space program and all the rollercoaster tycoons.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 18, 2015

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

massive spider posted:

Any recommendations for good building stuff games? I want build a city or a house or something and watch it go.

I already own sim city 4, kerbal space program and all the rollercoaster tycoons.

Factorio is really fun for scratching the building itch. It's a paid alpha, but it's quite playable (like KSP or Minecraft's alpha, not one of those early access fuckups).

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Seconding Factorio. I spend half the time just watching the factory working away. If you want to build in peace, you can disable the enemies.

If you enjoyed Rollercoaster Tycoon, you should have a look at OpenTTD, if you haven't yet. Tropico is also fun.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give Kingdom of Alamur a look.

Hey, thanks. I actually bought that game at some point because it's in my Steam library. I'll give it a shot.

Funnypost Collabo posted:

The new Dragon Age is exactly that, with bonus optional multiplayer dungeon crawls (completely separate from the singleplayer component in every way other than storyline tie-ins). It's actually a fun game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681488

e: I completely slept on it until a few days ago because I figured there was no way a new Dragon Age could be good.

Cool, I'll look into this too.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Multiplayer space opera?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is Metroid Other M worth playing for the gameplay if I skip the horrible cutscenes?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Reive posted:

Is Metroid Other M worth playing for the gameplay if I skip the horrible cutscenes?

I had fun with it. The game should be pretty cheap now too so it's probably worth it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Reive posted:

No.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reive posted:

It's not worth it, don't play Other M. The game is awful in a way that will make you angry by the end.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I notice that I can get the Fallout Classic Pack which includes Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics for To me that's a good deal, but I remember hearing that the random encounters are few and far between on modern computers. Is there any truth to that? It used to be that the random encounters were randomly checked each CPU cycle, and old single core Pentiums could generate a half dozen encounters between cities. My quad core, however, would have my guy zip from The Hole to Klamath in a second and I'd miss out on encounters.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

There's mods that fixes the encounter rates, but if you play them as they were, you get either super-zip across the map, or for Tactics, every tenth of a second an encounter prompt. Just google fallout encounter rates and you can find them.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Citybuilding!

So I've played the Tropico Series and I'm reinstalling Sim City 4 thanks to Steam advertising Cities XXL, but I was wondering if there's been any good city building games that are a bit more recent than Simcity 4. It's a great game but my word are the graphics ugly.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I wish I could find something that ensnared me like cheating on SimCity 2k did. Working towards those arcologies was rewarding and when I was finally able to slam down like 10 of them it was awesome. I haven't really felt a game do anything like that since. does anno 2070?

And I'm referring to these things. I want to make a city so awesome it has cities within cities. I used to spend hours building asymetrical cities with these things, I wanted to use them all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leper Residue posted:

I wish I could find something that ensnared me like cheating on SimCity 2k did. Working towards those arcologies was rewarding and when I was finally able to slam down like 10 of them it was awesome. I haven't really felt a game do anything like that since. does anno 2070?

And I'm referring to these things. I want to make a city so awesome it has cities within cities. I used to spend hours building asymetrical cities with these things, I wanted to use them all.

Anno 2070 does have something kind of like arcologies with the monuments. They don't hold population like arcologies but rather provide for several of the population's needs in a huge radius, and take a shitton of high end materials and time to build.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Recommend me something on PC similar to Warhammer Quest, just a pure turn-based dungeon crawler with loot and leveling. Please no roguelikes unless it has graphics and interface at least on par with Dungeons of Dredmore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Leper Residue posted:

Anno is the only city builder I've been able to get invested in since SimCity 2k and Caesar.

Its great. Play it.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Anno 2070 does have something kind of like arcologies with the monuments. They don't hold population like arcologies but rather provide for several of the population's needs in a huge radius, and take a shitton of high end materials and time to build.

In addition to monuments, when you get late game tech, you can build underwater buildings which are :krad:

If you get the expansion pack, you can build whole underwater cities which are insanely cool.

Anno 2070 anyways. For Dawn of Discovery / Anno .. 1707? Whatever the year was... you get big Cathedrals to show off your kingdom and you also get a second tech tree of Arabic style buildings.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I got Anno 2070 for Christmas a few years ago, got 200+ hours in it now. It's a city-builder, but you can't build a single mega-city. It'll always be multiple cities on a bunch of islands. There's a ship combat thing too, but you can disable that and just build.

The only issue I have with it, is that it requires Uplay. It also had awful Ubisoft DRM, but that got removed.

It also has some weird online-only feature (Ark storage) that you can use to transfer items between savegames, and you can abuse this to duplicate items too. This is nice because you don't need to re-research technologies in a new game if you don't want to.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Recommend me something on PC similar to Warhammer Quest, just a pure turn-based dungeon crawler with loot and leveling. Please no roguelikes unless it has graphics and interface at least on par with Dungeons of Dredmore.

What about Legend of Grimrock or Might and Magic X?

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 19, 2015

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm going to go ahead and recommend Dungeon Crawl (thread), even though it's a roguelike. The interface is significantly better than Dredmor's - it has things like auto-explore and the ability to search the dungeon for items you left behind somewhere and travel directly to them. The graphics are a bit worse than Dredmor's, but still perfectly serviceable (screenshot). The design team are very good at their jobs, and have removed a lot of the really annoying bullshit common to a lot of roguelikes like item destruction and grinding. Overall I'd consider it a much, much better game than Dredmor unless tile-based graphics are a dealbreaker for you.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

joshtothemaxx posted:

What about Legend of Grimrock or Might and Magic X?

Grimrock isn't turn-based, I'll check out M&MX, but it seems a little too exploration-y for me. I'm also looking for something with more of an isometric, positional battle system, rather than a first person Wizardy-style system.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 19, 2015

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

giogadi posted:

I just got my wife into Civilization V and we've been having a blast playing together; however, the long game lengths combined with the one-more-turn addictive qualities makes it easy to accidentally spend like 5-6 hours playing in a night.

Can anyone recommend a strategy game where matches can be finished in one sitting (e.g., an hour or so)? Cooperative play is important. I'm open to either turn-based or real-time strategy, but when I think of real-time strategy games like Starcraft, I'm afraid of scaring the wife off with the hardcore apm-centric mechanics.

Settlers 7!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

give me an rpg with a lot of potential builds that play very differently from one another. I already own dark souls, Divinity original sin, the deus exes, the fallouts, bloodlines and arcanum.

no bioware allowed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

give me an rpg with a lot of potential builds that play very differently from one another. I already own dark souls, Divinity original sin, the deus exes, the fallouts, bloodlines and arcanum.

no bioware allowed.
Dragon's Dogma if you have 360/PS3

Geneforge 1-5

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Dungeons of Dredmor.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

double nine posted:

no bioware allowed.

DCSS has like 30 different races, and a dozen gods, and a bunch of different classes. There's a shitload of different playstyles contained within.

Edit: It's a roguelike. And you can also play it through your browser for free: http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There's also Tales of Maj'Eyal which is an RPG-roguelike hybrid (randomly generated levels and items but with a world map and a storyline) and it has a large variety of unlockable classes and a larger variety of skills to choose from. It's also quite affordable at 6 euros/7 dollars (E: Forgot that you can also get it for free with nearly all the same features), a bit of extra if you want the DLC that adds a couple of classes and whatnot. IIRC a bigger expansion DLC is in the works too.

Example screenshot of one the class' level up screen (and yeah, you can also play as a skeleton):

There's also a global in-game chat so you can read how other people die horribly and ask for advice.

E:

If you like reading, there's a boatload of all kinds of messages and bits of lore and it's often pretty cool/funny.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 21, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kanfy posted:

It's also quite affordable at 6 euros/7 dollars, a bit of extra if you want the DLC that adds a couple of classes and whatnot. IIRC a bigger expansion DLC is in the works too.
It's actually free: http://te4.org/

The Steam version is what the previous "donate" version was. There's very little of significance between the free and premium edition, just some graphical perks, an infinite lives mode, and one or two extra classes (which the game already has a shitload of).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Bouchacha posted:

It's actually free: http://te4.org/

The Steam version is what the previous "donate" version was. There's very little of significance between the free and premium edition, just some graphical perks, an infinite lives mode, and one or two extra classes (which the game already has a shitload of).

Ah yeah, I knew that but completely forgot about it since I just got it on Steam myself.

Although you forgot the most important feature, the 1369 Steam achievements to collect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Although you forgot the most important feature, the 1369 Steam achievements to collect.
"Congratulations, you got all the achievements for the hardest difficulty setting. No of course this doesn't mean you also get the achievements for every setting below that! "