Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Mans posted:

You can't not expand on this.

Well, shoot, where do I even begin? It's been a cluster gently caress all over, but I'll try to summarize.
1. Paradox never added Jews until the Sons of Abraham expansion/patch with the reasoning that they didn't want to add a religion with no mechanics. That's fair, but see West Africans, Soumenskos, most Heresies, etc. This meant folks who should have been Jewish were Tengri instead. It was worse by Old Gods.
2. Defenders of Paradox (?) stated such wonderful things as Jews not having any impact on this period/weren't important enough, that they wouldn't add to the game, or that it's not possible to add them in mechanically without things going off the rails (ha).
3. Some people said other areas needed more work to be historical because there wasn't enough work done on the ERE, HRE, etc etc. Only after that could Jews be added.

I'm pretty sure there were worse things said, but that's the short of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

I realize this post is a few days old, but rather than that, we should have auroch events in CK2 when the real ones still existed. Gigantic wild hyperagressive bulls dominating the countryside of Germany and Poland (meant as geographical, not political, terms) must have event potential.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

I won't be convinced on this until I see what V3 localisation looks like. Some of the V2 inventions have some of the most :psyduck: text I've seen in paradox games.

This is true. Especially the economists. They aren't even consistent.

On the one hand, you have economists whose descriptions are...rather vague.

On the other hand...

Oh, by the way:

http://lparchive.org/Victoria-II-Heart-of-Darkness/

This is a thing now. :)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I never bother to read that fluff anyways.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Strudel Man posted:

India is legitimately a waste of CPU cycles, though, so.

I enjoyed my one India game. I might do it again as I fell short, barely of getting the "What Schism!?" Cheevo.

Though, to be sure I only played that one game when the DLC launched.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kavak posted:

What was the last Paradox game that didn't trigger fucktons of grog rage, Crusader Kings II?

Oh, I just remembered something. Some people were angry that Muhammad's character portrait in CK2 was replaced with calligraphy of his name to avoid offending Muslims.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pakled posted:

Oh, I just remembered something. Some people were angry that Muhammad's character portrait in CK2 was replaced with calligraphy of his name to avoid offending Muslims.

I still think this was legitimately cool to be honest.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, i thought it was pretty classy.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
How did the US get B-52s and Super Sabres in my HOI3 game :stonklol:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mantis42 posted:

I never bother to read that fluff anyways.

You don't get the prestige point if you don't read it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

How did the US get B-52s and Super Sabres in my HOI3 game :stonklol:

Is it like 1955?

In DH the top of the air tree is like F4 Phantoms and Stratofortresses. I guess HOI 3 is the same?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I think the thing with India is that it is rather self contained. Unless you're an Indian nation or a nEmpire/Kingdom based in Persia or Russia, you're not going to end up interacting with them.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

SkySteak posted:

I think the thing with India is that it is rather self contained. Unless you're an Indian nation or a nEmpire/Kingdom based in Persia or Russia, you're not going to end up interacting with them.

I go back and forth on India. The world of CK2 wasn't really one world but a set of overlapping worlds. So how do you handle that? Build the whole world but keep any one part from being able to interact with all other parts? Or build separate games? Or just focus on one world and leave the others out?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dibujante posted:

I go back and forth on India. The world of CK2 wasn't really one world but a set of overlapping worlds. So how do you handle that? Build the whole world but keep any one part from being able to interact with all other parts? Or build separate games? Or just focus on one world and leave the others out?

The correct answer is to build separate games. India and Europe/North Africa only indirectly interact with each other, so there's no good reason to have them in the same game. The game systems built for European feudalism feel out of place in India and it would be better as its own game, while its inclusion doesn't make the rest of the world more interesting to play. Same goes for China or any other region in the time period. There is no good reason to spread yourself thin like that instead of focusing on making the key part of your game as fun as possible.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
CKIII Reaction Predictions:
Paradox is DUMBING DOWN the game! (a given)
Why is paradox charging us more money for the same game and they're cutting content! This is an affront to my consumer rights! Don't buy paradox! Boycott CKIII until they add back India! (buys the game anyway)
India was an integral part of my fun, to have paradox rip it out of their sequel tore something from deep within me. My ability to feel joy. (we can only hope)

Admittedly I'd be down for it if they split the franchise up into Crusader Kings and, I don't know, Crusader Mings or something where the far east is the focus. But if you thought the Abbasids were OP, guess who'd be the new blob on the block?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The correct answer is to build separate games. India and Europe/North Africa only indirectly interact with each other, so there's no good reason to have them in the same game. The game systems built for European feudalism feel out of place in India and it would be better as its own game, while its inclusion doesn't make the rest of the world more interesting to play. Same goes for China or any other region in the time period. There is no good reason to spread yourself thin like that instead of focusing on making the key part of your game as fun as possible.

Well, you end up with a cascade of europe->middle east->persia->india->indochina->china. So, 5 games? Although then you have the steppe which gets to interact with all of them. 6? And West Africa interacts with north africa and arabia. 7?

e: also, would play the poo poo out of a crusader mings game, especially if you could play as a secret society or a scholar-official dynasty.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 20, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Europe and West Africa east to Afghanistan, Near East and Central Asia to India, China and its surroundings?

I wish there were paradox-like games set in ancient and medieval China, it's overlooked like none other.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I've said this before, but the feudal model actually suits India better than a lot- probably most- of the other places in the game. Fragmentation and the collapse of centralised power were the order of the day. I mean, if you're going to be anal about it, the system as it stands is a more-or-less reasonable approximation of high mediaeval France and the further you get from 12th century Paris the more hosed up things become.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

But how else are you supposed to have a dynamically shaped sultanate of Delhi for steppe nomads to, uh, ignore because the AI on either side of the Sulaiman Range seemingly refuse to interact with those on the other side of the mountains.

Like you can sort of understand why they'd want a wholly dynamic India as a foil for the middle east and there's worse fits you could do with the politics, but its just an appendix the way states act around Pakistan and Delhi.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Man, you've just got to love those "let's see what's going on in the rest of the worl- ...oh gently caress.." moments.

Here I am, making my way towards reclaiming the glory of Rome as its one true heir (though Rome will have to wait until I can actually field a navy), thinking I'm being a pretty big conqueror with my Greater Romania and army of puppets, and then I decide to look across the pond.

CHOO CHOO, FREEDOM TRAIN INCOMING. Note Cuba being successfully invaded. Wouldn't be surprised if they did manage to invade the Entente in Africa while I invade India (Dehli has abandoned the Entente, leaving them helpless :getin:).

I wonder if I can manage to take on the likes of Mitteleuropa at some point.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
http://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/557440996372656128

Looks like Paradox is going to be announcing their new EU4 expansion tomorrow.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Is HoI 3 actually fun or interesting at all with all the expansions? I played it when it first came out and remember it being pretty terrible. Or should I just stick with Kaiserreich.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

fermun posted:

http://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/557440996372656128

Looks like Paradox is going to be announcing their new EU4 expansion tomorrow.

End of the world?

So is this gonna be the new Sunset invasion? I can't wait :allears:

What sort of end-of-the-world scenario are we looking at here? Aliens? Ragnarok? Angry Jesus? Taxes?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

End of the world?

What sort of end-of-the-world scenario are we looking at here? Aliens? Ragnarok? Angry Jesus? Taxes?

Time traveling protestants come back with nukes.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
EU4: Rapture, when all proper Protestant countries are carried to the beyond, leaving the scraps of the world for the sinners to fight over.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Napoleon activates his secret doomsday device.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Is HoI 3 actually fun or interesting at all with all the expansions? I played it when it first came out and remember it being pretty terrible. Or should I just stick with Kaiserreich.

No. The game is improved but not anywhere near enough to be worth the cost and time you'd spend playing it. Stick with Kaiserreich.

Athas posted:

EU4: Rapture, when all proper Protestant countries are carried to the beyond, leaving the scraps of the world for the sinners to fight over.

This would be a pretty awesome scenario, actually.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

End of the world?

There was a rumor based on someone watching the Steam Database that Paradox was working on Atlantis Rising.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?815653-Atlantis-Rising-Next-DLC

:getin:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

fermun posted:

There was a rumor based on someone watching the Steam Database that Paradox was working on Atlantis Rising.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?815653-Atlantis-Rising-Next-DLC

Oh god I hope so

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ThaumPenguin posted:

End of the world?

The world ends, clearly, at the poles. Specifically the northern one. PLAYABLE SECRET POLAR BEAR FACTION CONFIRMED

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Central/South America expansion. This ties in with the treasure ship thing that they previewed and the end of the world is reference to all the Mayan apocalypse poo poo.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

This section of the EU4 DLC art is the second hint. Central/South America is the feel I get on this too.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Shits about to get all Sir Francis Drake up in here.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nation Designer?

I'm guessing this will mesh nicely with user created kingdoms from CK2 if the converter is updated.

The great Kingdom of Pen Island shall live on for another 400 years!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mesoamerica yay

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Viva el Yucatan

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh boy this sounds awesome.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Is HoI 3 actually fun or interesting at all with all the expansions?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I guess they had to do something with all those new provinces in South America.

You better have an Aguirre event chain in this Paradox!

• Locked thread