Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gravel Gravy posted:

That'll catch the youth vote. Show them you can be funny like their Daily Program. Maybe towards the end the GOP can do a rip-rap highlighting their policies.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/7vl0ef/reagraham-lincool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CommieGIR posted:

They'd crack a joke, but it'd be something offensive and everybody would just be staring is awestruck horror.

So yes, it would hurt Republicans to crack a joke.
Their idea of jokes are forwarding racist chain emails to staff members.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
And shutting down bridges.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there a Conservative version of The Daily Show that some GOP group was making and putting on YouTube years ago?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

EugeneJ posted:

Wasn't there a Conservative version of The Daily Show that some GOP group was making and putting on YouTube years ago?

There was one Fox News put out several years back. It didn't last long http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1/2_Hour_News_Hour

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

EugeneJ posted:

Yes and it was painful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Conservatives aren't funny.

Well, not on purpose.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

quote:

MetaCritic's television division, which produces composite scores based on prominent reviewers' opinions of television pilots, other episodes, and/or DVD releases,[11] gave The Half Hour News Hour pilots a score of 12 out of 100,[12] making it the lowest-rated television production ever reviewed on the site.[13]

Yeah it was awful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bob Dole was pretty funny.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Well, not on purpose.

Hubie Brown for president!

I don't expect anyone to get that joke, but it was kicking and screaming to get out of my head.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Well, not on purpose.

What WAS the lesson of Mitt Romney's 2012 campaign?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Never try.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Mitt Romney cannot win a presidential election.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

Alright, cooooooool. Not even 3 weeks in and we get the first of many "tragic" shootings that probably couldn't have been avoided: 9 month old gets domed by his 5 year old brother.

I can't wait to see this one shake out.

I don't think of this as tragic, I see it as the natural consequence of elevated gun ownership. The best thing we can do is load gun nuts down with more guns since statistically they're most likely to shoot each other and their offspring.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Can only count on 47%.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

CommieGIR posted:

You cannot stop the Obama Death Train from ushering in 1,000 years of liberal darkness.

Also that's 47% of voters, not 47% of Americans!

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

CommieGIR posted:

Not to run against one of the greatest campaigners and best organized campaign in his lifetime?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
All good lessons, I'm glad the GOP is taking away some useful information from that loss :unsmith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm curious what the narrative will be when the Mitt3.0 is deemed "too liberal for this Republican party."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

weekly font posted:

*tugs on shirt collar*

No respect, I tell ya, no respect. I went to the campaign office and said, "We need a candidate." The guy went, "How about Ted Cruz?"

No respect

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Anyone else think Talking Points Memo has gone down the drain the past few years? Their current front page article (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/king-burwell-dilemma-republicans-swing-states) talks about how if the SC rules against Obamacare and removes subsidies that it would hurt the GOP, headlined with "SCOTUS Ruling Against O-Care Actually Threatens GOP In 2016".

They completely ignore the fact that the majority of those GOP voters affected will blame Obama for losing their subsidized health insurance. Especially when the GOP proposes cutting Social Security or other programs as a budget balance to get the subsidies reinstated.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mitt Romney posted:

Anyone else think Talking Points Memo has gone down the drain the past few years? Their current front page article (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/king-burwell-dilemma-republicans-swing-states) talks about how if the SC rules against Obamacare and removes subsidies that it would hurt the GOP, headlined with "SCOTUS Ruling Against O-Care Actually Threatens GOP In 2016".

They completely ignore the fact that the majority of those GOP voters affected will blame Obama for losing their subsidized health insurance. Especially when the GOP proposes cutting Social Security or other programs as a budget balance to get the subsidies reinstated.

All media got click-baity. It is the new normal.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I still like Vox :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wait so a Republican is trying to pass a bill encouraging dudes to inspect other dude's dicks in bathrooms to make sure they're not trans?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Wait so a Republican is trying to pass a bill encouraging dudes to inspect other dude's dicks in bathrooms to make sure they're not trans?

Chill dick bro.

Romney Bot 3.0 will meet emission standards after they reclassify it as a light truck.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

Given what happened to Fred Hampton and COINTELPRO it hardly seems as crazy as it might have. And the MLK family actually did have a civil suit a while ago where a group of jurors found that the US Government was complicit in it. Hardly the same thing as stone cold proof but technically not incorrect. :thumbsup:

It's "technically not incorrect" in the same sense that if you give someone a noogie until they say that that you're the best guy on the playground, he said that you're the best guy on the playground.

The problem is that Fred Hampton's death had evidence of an assassination from the beginning. MLK's murder didn't. The entire conspiracy theory was created by a senior citizen on Prime Time Live who admitted in private to wanting to sell his story to the highest bidder and at least two supporters admitting that they were also in it for the potential cash. The civil suit was done in a circuit court with no actual defendant except for said senior citizen, which meant that no contrary evidence or defense was actually provided. The whole thing was a kangaroo court by an upset and irrational family desperate to believe that such a beloved figure was taken down by a conspiracy of evil, rich white men. The whole thing is a pointless footnote in the history of his death that doesn't deserve more than a few lines on his Wikipedia page, but teens and twenty-somethings looking for more to be upset about in America than there already is go along with it unquestionably because it would be too much effort to check their sources.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm so excited for the GOP response(s(s(s))) to the state of the union address, particularly since they picked Joni Earnst and that dude from Florida who couldn't tell the difference between US officials and a delegation from India.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

There's few things more ameircan than checking out other dude's dicks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Boehner apparently has a video series where he looks at pictures of himself. Today's picture is him criticizing Joe Biden's suit at the last State of the Union.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDB3D8OxcWA

Reminder, the State of the Union is tonight. Here's a thread for it.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

Month old.

The mother called 911 saying that the 5 year old had used a paintball gun. I seriously don't know what the gently caress.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/20/missouri-9-month-old-fatally-shot-in-his-crib-by-5-year-old-brother-police-say/

quote:

The boy found his grandfather’s .22-caliber magnum revolver that was being kept on a shelf built into the headboard in the master bedroom, Nodaway County Sheriff Darren White told The Washington Post. The baby was in a crib in the same room when the gun went off, and a bullet struck him in the head.

quote:

The mother, Alexis Widerholt, was in the kitchen when she heard a loud noise that sounded like a gunshot, according to White. She went into the living room where she found three of her four children — including the 5-year-old boy. Another child was playing with a paintball gun.
White happened to be near the phone when Widerholt made a frantic call to police just before 9 a.m., pleading for help for her baby, who she thought at the time had been shot in the side of his head with a paintball gun, he said.

quote:

There were several other weapons in the house, according to White.

“You know, just some gun safety could have come into play, and would have maybe, you know prevented the situation, but it’s just really sad, altogether,” neighbor Jessica Hutchison told local CBS affiliate KCTV.

Yeah. "Maybe"

quote:

Speaking to Omaha ABC affiliate KETV, White added: “And most people are very safe with them and this was just one of those cases where everything went together in the wrong way,”
Right, just one of those Rube Goldberg type incidents where so many elements just happened to align in juuuuuuust the right way. Lemme recap:
(A): unloaded gun left where child can reach
(B): child picks up gun
(C): child pulls trigger

*whew* When in history would the planets align like that ever again?????

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Duke Igthorn posted:

*whew* When in history would the planets align like that ever again?????

About 100 times annually.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
When it comes to safety the stars aligning in such a way that everything goes to poo poo is the norm. Pretty sad too.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
But mandatory trigger locks are a marxist plan to disarm the population.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
A lock isn't always helpful, because the only reason a child lock would be useful is if the gun is loaded. It also complicates the theoretical need to have one laying around loaded in the first place - ease of access in an emergency.

Keeping handguns laying around loaded is the underlying problem. With semiautomatic pistols, it's a relatively quick and simple operation to insert the magazine and chamber a round.

This line of argument is inapplicable for revolvers and long guns.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I don't know, I think the woman whose father was in an ambulance had a right to be pissed. I realize that effective protest means that you are going to inconvenience people (because otherwise the "liberal" media ignores you), but surely they could have made an exception for an ambulance?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well hell guns are never loaded in the home and every gun rights guy who when confronted with the argument "Maybe don't leave your gun loaded" never respond with "there's nothing more useless than an unloaded gun".

Perhaps loading a semi auto by inserting the clip and cocking it is simple enough for a child to do as well?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Evil_Greven posted:

A lock isn't always helpful, because the only reason a child lock would be useful is if the gun is loaded. It also complicates the theoretical need to have one laying around loaded in the first place - ease of access in an emergency.

Keeping handguns laying around loaded is the underlying problem. With semiautomatic pistols, it's a relatively quick and simple operation to insert the magazine and chamber a round.

This line of argument is inapplicable for revolvers and long guns.

Unfortunately the NRA is filled with Home Defense nuts that are so certain your house is the next one to get hit, so that pistol better be loaded and at the ready, despite the fact that the NRAs own gun safety program emphasizes otherwise.

Another dead innocent child and a 5 year old scarred for life.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Alter Ego posted:

I don't know, I think the woman whose father was in an ambulance had a right to be pissed. I realize that effective protest means that you are going to inconvenience people (because otherwise the "liberal" media ignores you), but surely they could have made an exception for an ambulance?

The world would be better without some bourgeois who can afford an ambulance.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unfortunately gunchat needs to stay out of this thread or it will be the only thing discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

weekly font posted:

Yep, I got a text from my girlfriend last night asking if I knew about this. I felt kind of bad telling her how it was bunk since she's kinda gullible and I end up having to do that a lot but oh well.

It's certainly not proven, or even going to be, but it's also not outside the realm of possibility.

Certainly not global banking conspiracy/truther levels of crazy. The government harassed and targetted MLK, his family, and told him to kill himself, and what happened to Fred Hampton also lends credence.

• Locked thread