Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

I went to see what could have Tinsley so up in arms and it was basically the same boring anti-PC "satire" conservatives have been writing since the 1980s and pretty much unreadable if you're sober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A couple of the DbD commenters have compared the events of the most recent strip with Looney Toon shorts: wily-but-innocent protagonist minds own business, is aggressed against by foolish antagonist, uses wiles to get righteous and hilarious revenge against antagonist.

Even Muir's fans realize how formulaic the strip is.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I went to see what could have Tinsley so up in arms and it was basically the same boring anti-PC "satire" conservatives have been writing since the 1980s and pretty much unreadable if you're sober.

I read about 3 paragraphs and had to stop. It's really bad.

The comments, though, are comparing this to Colbert level satire which is really hilarious.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Which of course explains why Tinsley is a big fan of it.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
That's Oil Folks!

According to CNN:
Big energy companies aren't the only ones losing out on the dramatic fall in oil prices. Banks are in the hot seat, too.
"Hundreds of banks were forced to shut down in Texas when the state fell into a recession in 1986 during a steep decline in oil prices. That 1980s meltdown mirrors the current drop in prices that carried oil below $45 a barrel this week.
Cheap credit helped fuel the U.S. shale boom, allowing countless energy companies to find oil in new places. Banks also capitalized on economic booms in oil-rich regions like Texas and North Dakota. It would only make sense for these same banks to feel some pain from oil's downward spiral. Drilling projects that made sense at $100 may now be losing money, creating headaches for the lenders that financed the expansions. Some highly-leveraged shale companies may even go belly up due to the plunge in oil prices."-more
But maybe the oil prices could be part of the new U.S. - Russian Cold War?
According to this opinion piece in the Washington Post:

Falling oil prices hit Venezuela, Iran and Russia hard
"As oil prices continued to plunge last week, it was instructive to watch the disparate reactions of three governments whose whopping losses are likely to produce some of the biggest international stories of 2015.
There was the panicked scrambling of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who skipped his own state of the union speech for a desperate world tour in search of loans or promises of $100 oil. He got neither, even as rumors flew back home about whether he would be allowed to stay in office on his return.
There was the cool response of Vladi­mir Putin, whose ministers announced drastic cuts in government spending — except for defense. Russia’s proxy forces in eastern Ukraine meanwhile launched a new offensive."-more
Labels: Banks, Cold War, economics, Economy, Oil, oil prices, Russia, Shuldig, Venezuela

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Johntalouette posted:

a Dune cartoon

Flying cars and good, wholesome white people. But alas, it was never to be. :911:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
A dry bones that doesn't refer to a jewish event nor demonize Muslims or calls westerns naive? I am scared. :ohdear:

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 20, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Suitaru posted:

that's not the expression of a pickpocket

Can't you smell that smell?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Eli Lake in a column at Bloomberg thinks he knows why President Obama won’t name the enemy. Lake says it’s because many of our allies in the Muslim world share the same beliefs but not the violent tactics of Islamic radicals. He cites a 2013 Pew Survey that says 74 percent of Egyptian Muslims favor Sharia law for Muslims and infidels alike.

Three-quarters of Pakistani Muslims support laws banning blasphemy. A majority of Muslim Iraqis said they supported “honor killings” of women who engage in premarital sex or adultery.

All of this gets to a paradox of the war on terror. It has never been a war on the tactic of terrorism, and it has always been a war against networks of radical Islamists. But in order to wage that war, the U.S. has had to ally with Muslim countries and people, many of whom believe the state should punish apostates, adulterers and blasphemers.

Can’t have a War without an Enemy

The administration doesn’t like to call it a war either – try overseas contingency operations. John Kerry in his 2004 run for the presidency called it a nuisance.

That would explain the detainees at Gitmo. If there’s no war they’re not POWs. If they can’t be prosecuted they have to be released.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh great, now I'm stuck with all this money I don't need, thanks Obama :mad:

e: I seriously can't parse this any other way than "Responsible White Students who have been saving their loving allowance or something to pay off college (because this is totally possible in 2015 America) now have to find something else to spend all that money on and this is a bad thing somehow"; someone please tell me if that is actually the talking point because :psyduck:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

loquacius posted:

e: I seriously can't parse this any other way than "Responsible White Students who have been saving their loving allowance or something to pay off college (because this is totally possible in 2015 America) now have to find something else to spend all that money on and this is a bad thing somehow"; someone please tell me if that is actually the talking point because :psyduck:
1. The drawing is so lovely I had to stare at it in order to figure out the Islamic Shock is supposed to be reversing so as to squash that poor (rich) white student.

2. I'm reasonably confident the actual talking point is going to be that your nice white middle-class diploma which you paid so much for is going to be devalued by the influx undesirables grabbing "free stuff".

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oh boo hoo, now they get to get out of school with some money to help them get set up with a house, a career and a car.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

<current bad thing a muslim did> was obviously a sanctioned attack by the Muslim government and if we nuke a few hundred thousand civilians (maybe a million? Adjust for inflation!) in major cities in the nation of Islam, they should surrender and we'll handily have won the war on terror. Only Obama is standing in our way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

1. The drawing is so lovely I had to stare at it in order to figure out the Islamic Shock is supposed to be reversing so as to squash that poor (rich) white student.

2. I'm reasonably confident the actual talking point is going to be that your nice white middle-class diploma which you paid so much for is going to be devalued by the influx undesirables grabbing "free stuff".

Nobody apparently told Mike Lester that :psyduck:

I agree with your prediction, though; it fits perfectly with the Tea Party rhetorical oeuvre. (not seeing the Chrono Cross connection though???)

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I wonder what issues Tinsley and Omar Mahmood agree with.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I wonder what issues Tinsley and Omar Mahmood agree with.

yeah man everyone knows that to be a political shitheel you gotta be a white anglo

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm glad BoK doesn't understand the difference between a sovereign nation and an ill-defined concept with no borders or nationality.

Less glad BoK wants Obama to start World War III

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

WHY WON'T OBAMA BASH MUSLIMS

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

:wow:

:wom:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This was in the New York Times

The artist is DengCoy Miel, Senior Executive Artist of The Straits Times.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

Oh great, now I'm stuck with all this money I don't need, thanks Obama :mad:

Sorry for the upper-middle-class white kid whine but as someone who's college savings went from "more than enough" to "30% as much as you need" riiiight as I hit college age thanks to the financial crisis, gently caress you Lester. It should be Bush in that bus, and Daddy Bush and Reagan popping out of the windows.

Now that there's an opportunity for free community college I might actually be able to afford to get a degree on my poo poo garbage pay.

EDIT: Oh and the bus should be a solid-gold semi-truck with sick rims and labeled "TOO BIG TO FAIL"

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 20, 2015

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

That piece could easily have been a Markov chain.

Anyway, since I was promised some MLK cartoons and Drunky Ducky failed to deliver, can anybody supply me with some older ones?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Man writes purposefully offensive article in college newspaper, is fired because college newspapers aren't exactly designed for hard hitting commentary. FREE SPEECH IS BEING VIOLATED! Why can't I publish "gently caress the Blacks and the Horse They Rode in On: An Essay" in Gardening Monthly without being fired, OBAMA?!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Maybe he was fired for not being funny.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

That piece could easily have been a Markov chain.

Anyway, since I was promised some MLK cartoons and Drunky Ducky failed to deliver, can anybody supply me with some older ones?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If anyone hasn't read the article, Omar's premise is essentially trying very hard to deliver sick burns to Tumblr-style SJWs. He ironically uses "cis-gendered white male" like five times. None of it is particularly funny.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

seiferguy posted:

If anyone hasn't read the article, Omar's premise is essentially trying very hard to deliver sick burns to Tumblr-style SJWs. He ironically uses "cis-gendered white male" like five times. None of it is particularly funny.

He should try self-identifying as a person who is actually funny.

All the other rabbits came from the Tax Cuts hat.

It's "Obama as somehow rage-inducing lovable childhood hero" season.

And now people on opposite sides of the political spectrum are drawing the exact same cartoon. We've reached a laziness breakthrough.

We'll solve this thing if nobody else ever talks.

An Eat the Rich cartoon.

It's been done, but it's still a pretty good joke.

The middle class is dying for Obama's tax profits.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

A goon in a well cartoon.

No seriously, why is the middle class actively digging deeper.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Internet Webguy posted:

The middle class is dying for Obama's tax profits.

A middle class with an already tightened belt gets screwed over by an upper class that refuses to go on a diet. A probable cartoon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The middle class is a tool used by the poor, disheveled masses to dig themselves deeper into a hole. AGC.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Chief Savage Man posted:

Maybe he was fired for not being funny.

Nah, if you read it the reason was he was alienating the rest of the staff so they called in the fact that he's not supposed to be working for another newspaper while working on theirs.

quote:

After his column was published last week, Mahmood tells The College Fix: “I received a call from the editorial editor [of the Daily] telling me that I had created a ‘hostile environment’ among the editorial staff and that someone had felt threatened because of what I had written … The issue had been taken to the editor in chief who procured a bylaw by which I was given an ultimatum to leave the Review or leave the Daily within a week. I was not allowed to know the name of the offended individuals.” He added the newspaper’s leaders are “forcing me to write a letter of apology as a condition for staying on the Daily” and suspended his regular column in the Daily.

Mahmood has written for both the Review and the Daily concurrently for this fall semester, but after this controversial column was published the Daily’s editors decided “Mr. Mahmood’s involvement with the Michigan Review presents a conflict of interest. Our bylaws say that once a determination is made that a conflict of interest exists, the person in question will have one week to resign from either the Daily or the organization causing the conflict of interest,” according to a statement from the Daily to The College Fix.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
No no no, dig up, stupid!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

aha, this old canard.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

it reads like a particularly ham-fisted attempt to make a right wing version of that athiest professor/christian marine thing, and it just fails miserably

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Internet Webguy posted:

It's "Obama as somehow rage-inducing lovable childhood hero" season.
Obama to Congress: "You have failed this country."

I know it's Robin Hood and not Oliver Queen. Don't care.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Jesus this is dumb. Also why is he speaking the presumable title of the cartoon?

TaxSnypa420NoScope_xxx_weedlord

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Even with a closeup like this, I still can't figure out what's actually going on with Wormbama's jaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Wait so the family and their public school kid are living in poverty and their options are protest or send him to private school? If they are in poverty how is private school an option? Is this a pro-charter school comic, am I missing something, or is this thing literally saying:

A. Public school kids are in poverty
B. Send kid to private school
C. No longer in poverty?

I have to be misunderstanding something because no way someone thought up something that stupid. It has to be my interpretation.

• Locked thread