Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fart Pipe posted:

I was in downtown Seattle last year when they beat the 49ers in the playoffs. It was so crazy, everybody was drunk and best friends, there were people running down the streets giving high 5s to everyone that was in a car and on the street, It was actually pretty great :3:

I had friends out watching the game at a sports bar locally and when the Colts lost some dude chucked a mug and flipped a table. Had I not been dying from a cold I would have probably been with them to witness that amazingness.

So the text message chain indeed jumped to the conclusion that he shot himself. But other than "he didn't shoot himself" nothing concrete. Their dad is in a home, senile as hell from what I'm told, mother died years ago. Tony (his brother, my friend) is probably falling apart and I realized i don't even know where he lives so I can't even go find him to check on him.

Edit: A 3 year old boy was found dead today as well. I don't know the family but I have friends who were pretty close with them. It's even more hosed up than my friend's story.

http://www.21alive.com/home/Body-Found-in-Wells-County-Believed-to-be-Missing-Bluffton-Toddler-289005581.html?llsms=1089991&c=y

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Today has been so lovely (window, motorcycle, another thing I won't post about online), it's time for some smirnoff and a Tinkerbell movie. That's right, this completely heterosexual, 68W, EMT, VW-loving (well, that last one...) dude comforts himself with pizza, booze marketed towards 16 year old girls, and motherfucking pirate fairies.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goondolences Rhyno. I know you said you didn't think it'd be good to call, but I guarantee he needs someone to talk to.

some texas redneck posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to record the cold-start and see if the message pops up on the dash again. If it does, I'll get it back to the odometer, then go to the dealer and tell them it can be reproduced by letting it sit overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JKI_VXWqO8 :argh:

Dealer was really easy to deal with, had a loaner lined up and everything. Same dealer that replaced the original power steering motor, and I had nothing but great things to say about their service department.

... then I checked the fuse. It was just resting on the contacts. Not even pushed into the slot at all. I guess either they removed the fuse when they replaced the motor and didn't push it all the way in, or the last time it blew, I didn't push it all the way in (the original PS motor would pop the fuse occasionally, and it's a JCase 60 amp with female terminals instead of male). :doh: It was literally just resting on top of the terminals, and had built up enough soot/melted poo poo from arcing that it wouldn't make contact anymore.

The service advisor got a good laugh out of it when I called back to cancel the appointment... and told me 99% of the people he deals with don't even bother checking their own oil, much less checking a fuse. Either way, he did document that I was having intermittent issues, in case it winds up not being the fuse, so even if the motor craps out before the warranty runs out (in.. 7 or 8 months I think), it'll be taken care of.

Also discovered that every single card is missing out of my wallet except for my student ID, my USAA debit card, drivers license, and my (laminated) medication list. My wallet is old as hell, and cards tend to fall out of it pretty easily, but that was not a nice surprise. Searched the house, work, car, mom's car, etc (the last time I saw the other cards was last night while riding in mom's car). Not sure if they fell out when I got gas last night, or if they fell out getting out of mom's car, or if someone snagged them when I left my wallet on the desk at work for a few minutes. My credit union debit card, my Walmart credit card, and my USAA credit card are all gone - they were all on the same side of the wallet (bifold). It was easy enough to cancel all of them, and I haven't seen any odd charges, but I have to wait for new cards to be issued (and I was counting on using the Walmart card to buy oil and a filter tomorrow). The credit union card can be issued immediately on the spot at most branches (except the closest one, of course), so that's a plus. Just gotta wake up early enough to get there before work.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

some texas redneck posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to record the cold-start and see if the message pops up on the dash again. If it does, I'll get it back to the odometer, then go to the dealer and tell them it can be reproduced by letting it sit overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JKI_VXWqO8 :argh:

Dealer was really easy to deal with, had a loaner lined up and everything. Same dealer that replaced the original power steering motor, and I had nothing but great things to say about their service department.

... then I checked the fuse. It was just resting on the contacts. Not even pushed into the slot at all. I guess either they removed the fuse when they replaced the motor and didn't push it all the way in, or the last time it blew, I didn't push it all the way in (the original PS motor would pop the fuse occasionally, and it's a JCase 60 amp with female terminals instead of male). :doh: It was literally just resting on top of the terminals, and had built up enough soot/melted poo poo from arcing that it wouldn't make contact anymore.

The service advisor got a good laugh out of it when I called back to cancel the appointment... and told me 99% of the people he deals with don't even bother checking their own oil, much less checking a fuse. Either way, he did document that I was having intermittent issues, in case it winds up not being the fuse, so even if the motor craps out before the warranty runs out (in.. 7 or 8 months I think), it'll be taken care of.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That was... The most epic venture bros ever.

Seriously, the end was the best. "Not you"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wait, there's new Venture Bros?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
There was a special last night, but I've not seen it yet. :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sardikar posted:

Just a question, I am in Brisbane but how did you generally get involved in volunteering to for language services? Sounds like a positive and worth while thing to do.

Refugee advocate services are a really good place to start. I'm not sure who best to contact in QLD unfortunalty - if you can stomach some of the more insane people the Greens will most likely know.

The way I got in was joining in a thing called Ride for Refugees and simply talking to a few people who pointed me in the right direction. Even if you cant do language services, refugee advocate NGO's always need volunteers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Wait, there's new Venture Bros?

Yep! Offically the finale of season 5 and also intros season 6 in the epilogue. About to watch it now :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I was like "nah it's not that bad" but I started thinking and the last two years really have been pretty terrible. Since August of 2013 when Taylor's mother died (another OD) I think we've lost twenty people.
That's amazingly sad, Rhyno. I really think you need to hit up a Chuck D lyric that "if I can't change the people around me, I change the people around me."

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sure as hell wasn't a 442.

Could have been, since it's 4-barrel, 4-speed, dual exhaust, but certainly not an official 442. :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Pretty amazed at how little the e30s seem to fold in these high speed side impacts. Tiny little tanks!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I told my PM that if they didn't get me a doctor to see soon I am calling the union hall and getting the Workers' Comp attorney involved. I got a frantic call first thing this morning by my boss telling me not to do that and that they are gonna get me a doctor to see today. Funny.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

If y'all aren't also snapping with snizzpod and reignczech, you're missing out.

Thanks for the hot tip, attempting to add!

Geirskogul posted:

pizza, booze marketed towards 16 year old girls, and motherfucking pirate fairies.

Add in how it's made and it sounds like a typical night with my kids when my wife is working.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Time to update my resume. Goddammit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A friend of mine is needing to get a new car as his is 'dying' so instead of fixing it he's looking at getting an auto. People telling him autos are great is making me sad. People telling him that autos only appear on 'nice' cars is making me sadder still.

Why are people terrible?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

A friend of mine is needing to get a new car as his is 'dying' so instead of fixing it he's looking at getting an auto. People telling him autos are great is making me sad. People telling him that autos only appear on 'nice' cars is making me sadder still.

Why are people terrible?

Because Automatics have become the defacto 'standard' for vehicles in the United States, so everyone thinks that the nicer cars are supposed to have it.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

CommieGIR posted:

Because Automatics have become the defacto 'standard' for vehicles in the United States, so everyone thinks that the nicer cars are supposed to have it.

It's not just America where that concept exists.
An automatic is largely seen as a luxury addition. I remember in France (a country where the default driving test is with a manual) a friend had bought an Audi and the first thing other friends oohd and awed at was it being automatic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

treizebee posted:

It's not just America where that concept exists.
An automatic is largely seen as a luxury addition. I remember in France (a country where the default driving test is with a manual) a friend had bought an Audi and the first thing other friends oohd and awed at was it being automatic.

Huh, in the US at least, manuals are becoming something it seems like you have to request from the dealer beforehand....

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pretty much. And the other half seems to think that paddle shifters = automatic+manual.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Also depends on the car too.

A stick in a Buick Regal makes very little sense. Suburban? Yep, thats auto only zone.

But a 3 series or a sporty small car? Yeah, thats stick territory.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

CommieGIR posted:

Huh, in the US at least, manuals are becoming something it seems like you have to request from the dealer beforehand....

I think it's more Americans see manuals as outdated technology along with our ingrained notion that "more expensive=better".
In Europe, land of the small manual hatchback, the ability to drive a car with only one foot is a grand notion amongst a couple generations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

So gently caress the US, gotcha.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I would say the resale on autos in general tend to be higher because they are more of a universal commodity: the number of people who can drive a man trans is far lower and so the number of possible buyers is lower.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Automatics are better. You can cram your gotta have it factor up your pretentious poop holes. Plus then I can tell my wife I bought this new scat pack challenger for you and the kids. Look how big the back seat is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

Automatics are better. You can cram your gotta have it factor up your pretentious poop holes. Plus then I can tell my wife I bought this new scat pack challenger for you and the kids. Look how big the back seat is.

My wife drives an auto just by necessity (she is 4'9" so most manuals are a little too difficult for her to drive due to her size), but she loves driving manual and wishes she had a car that allowed her to fit properly.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

My wife drives an auto just by necessity (she is 4'9" so most manuals are a little too difficult for her to drive due to her size), but she loves driving manual and wishes she had a car that allowed her to fit properly.

Hi!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Got room for a baby seat and shopping too? I mean, we got a Volvo, its not like we surrendered and god a Mini-van or truck...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yes but the kid won't fit by the time its a year old.

E: MGB GT!!

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 20, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Pulling this transmission a third time because the dealership can't get me the right parts sure is how I wanted to start this loving week, yessir :argh:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Yes but the kid won't fit by the time its a year old.

E: MGB GT!!

Or a Mini. Perfect for a family of 4! :haw:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
4 what, midgets?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I almost feel bad than my mustang is a stick shift. My mothers first car was a 1968 mustang, and I know when she was shopping for a new car in ~2000 she was looking at stangs but the back seats were almost nonexistent so she didn't get one. Now she cant even drive mine once in a while because she refuses to learn stick.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

kastein posted:

4 what, midgets?

It works for us so far.. Though the kids are under 10 and my son got screwed on height from my wife's side of the gene pool.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

keykey posted:

Add in how it's made and it sounds like a typical night with my kids when my wife is working.

As I've learned from helping watch my nieces, you can't go wrong with getting them hooked on Fraggle Rock.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

kastein posted:

4 what, midgets?

His wife is 4'9" that's officially dwarf status isn't it? I went out with a lady who was 4'10" and she was loving tiny you could fit about 24 of her in a Mini.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm 6'5", so basically anyone under like 6 feet seems like a midget as far as I'm concerned :v:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CommieGIR posted:

How does having a third pedal change her ability to comfortably drive? Just curious why that's a problem. If she can't push the pedal all the way then she really shouldn't be driving an auto either.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm 6'5", so basically anyone under like 6 feet seems like a midget as far as I'm concerned :v:

Haha, fair enough. I'm 6', my wife is 5'5, but the men on her side of the family are like 5'4-5'6. So pretty much midget status by dude standards.

edit:

Liquid Communism posted:

As I've learned from helping watch my nieces, you can't go wrong with getting them hooked on Fraggle Rock.

Oh yeah, we've already went through all of those, also he-man, Transformers, she-ra, jem, all that stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

How does having a third pedal change her ability to comfortably drive? Just curious why that's a problem. If she can't push the pedal all the way then she really shouldn't be driving an auto either.

Your brake pedal should never sink all the way to the floor, that's the difference. Most brake pedals only go about half way, even with free play, and should never go completely down. Trust me, when she first got the car, I checked her ability to fully actuate the brake pedal and throttle. And since its a turbocharge 5 cylinder, she doesn't need to have the ability to stomp the gas to the floor so much.

Whereas, your clutch pedal should go at least almost all the way done, and has a lot more travel than your brake pedal.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

and motherfucking pirate fairies.

As a parent of a two year old girl, I am so sorry.

• Locked thread