Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DC requires two tests. The first is basically the CCNA R&S but focused on Nexus and none of the legacy poo poo you get on the R&S. Second test might as well be a Cisco pre-sales test. It covers the basics of UCS, 1kv, fiber channel, etc. but what it really covers is Ciscos product portfolio like how many ports does x switch have or which models support layer 3 or which network cards do not support creating virtual interfaces. It's a lot of product sheet bullshit, but not very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Sub Rosa posted:

I have about two months before my CCNA expires, so I need to bust something out. I'm brushing up on what I've forgotten from the last few years of not tooling around with Cisco kit, and I think it would be pretty painless to just resit the CCNA. Of course if I'm shelling out the cash I'd rather pick up something shiny and new for the resume.

What is the relative difficulty of CCNA Data Center / Security / Voice? Or maybe just knocking out ROUTE or SWITCH?

Voice is the one I'm most interested in, but also seems to be the one that would require the most $$$ in physical kit to lab, and I mostly just have GNS3.

Bear in mind that the ROUTE/SWTICH/TSHOOT all change in 2 weeks time, so you've got to knock it out ASAP, or try to learn for the new exam which I assume will be difficult with how little material is available for the new series.

Edit: I just went and checked the exam topics for the SWITCH v2, sounds almost exactly like v1, but with added SDM

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 14, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

I have about two months before my CCNA expires, so I need to bust something out. I'm brushing up on what I've forgotten from the last few years of not tooling around with Cisco kit, and I think it would be pretty painless to just resit the CCNA. Of course if I'm shelling out the cash I'd rather pick up something shiny and new for the resume.

What is the relative difficulty of CCNA Data Center / Security / Voice? Or maybe just knocking out ROUTE or SWITCH?

Voice is the one I'm most interested in, but also seems to be the one that would require the most $$$ in physical kit to lab, and I mostly just have GNS3.

ROUTE and SWITCH will take you more than two months to study for. Knock out something easy like CCNA: Security or Wireless and then focus on the CCNP stuff later.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Alright, time to get back to studying. I've been delaying beginning my CCNA Voice for a few months, but with a work not so busy now I want to start cracking on it again.

I know I can emulate *some* stuff in GNS3, but it seems like for voice I'll need to finally make the plunge into a home lab. The books just assume you have it.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this kit?

http://netcertlabs.com/store/the-ccna-voice-enhanced-complete-cisco-voip-study-lab-kit-with-training-support

Been considering this all week instead of doing piecemeal eBay purchases. The reviews seem to be ok...

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Passed the ICND1 this morning. :toot: I learned most of the material from community college Cisco Academy classes, but I found the Odom book invaluable for filling in the gaps in my knowledge.

Charliegrs posted:

Anyone take the CCENT exam recently? Did it have many questions involving ACLs and NAT?

Not as many as I was expecting on either count. I was also surprised by how few IPv6 questions I got.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How much of it was ios commands and configs?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

When I took it a few years ago you had to know all of the basic show commands and the basic routing ones they cover in the book.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone ever gotten their Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)?

My boss is interested in making our department an Apple Self-Servicing Account and it looks like you need an ACMT on-staff to get any parts beyond keyboards and memory. I'm not really dying to be Apple certified but it wouldn't hurt, and they'd pay for everything.

Edit: Okay this is actually already making me twitch:

Apple posted:

Traditionally, to deploy computers, you would create system images and copy them to
each computer in the organization. Deploying computers this way creates consistency
in computer configurations, but it makes more work for your IT organization, which
has to maintain a set of images and ensure that those images contain the latest
operating system updates and apps.

Instead, Apple recommends hands-off deployment. With hands-off deployment, you
can give your users their new Mac computers and allow them to perform the initial
configuration by downloading the software they need. They can do this from an
internal website or the Mac App Store.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 15, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Haha.

Oh well, less work for you, right?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

Passed the ICND1 this morning. :toot: I learned most of the material from community college Cisco Academy classes, but I found the Odom book invaluable for filling in the gaps in my knowledge.

Not as many as I was expecting on either count. I was also surprised by how few IPv6 questions I got.

You actually got IPv6 questions?

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

My boss is interested in making our department an Apple Self-Servicing Account and it looks like you need an ACMT on-staff to get any parts beyond keyboards and memory. I'm not really dying to be Apple certified but it wouldn't hurt, and they'd pay for everything.

AMCT is quite easy and isn't even proctored, if memory serves me right. My friend who had to get it for work constantly mocks it and its sub-certs.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

The guy next to me has an ACMT. He says first time sitting the exam is like a real exam, recerts are open book.
He says its more health & safety than anything, things like not exploding batteries on yourself.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Zeratanis posted:

AMCT is quite easy and isn't even proctored, if memory serves me right. My friend who had to get it for work constantly mocks it and its sub-certs.

Looks like you might be thinking of the Apple Certified Associate? I was getting them confused too earlier.

Anyway, thanks for the responses all, it does sound pretty easy so I guess I'll devote a little time to studying for it. I should probably learn Macs better anyway if I'm going to work in academia. :sigh:

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

I managed to pass the VCP550-DCV this morning! It's a nice feeling to know I got that out of the way. :yotj:

I went through Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 and the Sybex VCP5-DCV Study Guide(mainly for the practice test's) while labbing. Using Richard Noggin's recommendation I spent the last 2 weeks reading all the docs on the blueprint. I definitely noticed a big improvement of understanding and I was doing much better on practice tests after reading the blueprint docs. So thanks for the recommendation Richard Noggin!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

likw1d posted:

I managed to pass the VCP550-DCV this morning! It's a nice feeling to know I got that out of the way. :yotj:

I went through Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 and the Sybex VCP5-DCV Study Guide(mainly for the practice test's) while labbing. Using Richard Noggin's recommendation I spent the last 2 weeks reading all the docs on the blueprint. I definitely noticed a big improvement of understanding and I was doing much better on practice tests after reading the blueprint docs. So thanks for the recommendation Richard Noggin!

Thanks for the heads-up - I'm studying for the VCP550-DCV myself, and I'll add those blueprint docs to my reading list.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

MrBigglesworth posted:

You actually got IPv6 questions?

When I took my CCNA many many moons ago, I got 3 of them. I was a bit surprised myself, because holy hell, the chapter on IPv6 within the 5th edition of Lammle's book wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

Going for TSHOOT on the 27th, just shy of the Cisco test change extravaganza. I'm taking it somewhere else this time, because I don't want another screw up like last. Heard this test is easy as balls especially if you work trouble tickets on Cisco stuffins.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I found TSHOOT to be the easiest of the series. I sat it a few months ago and it is very straight forward, you will get a couple of multiple choice questions, followed by 11-13 simlets where you are a given a ticket each time. Its picked from a total pool of like 15 questions, and its the same network on each one. So basically its very repeatable and our instructor pretty much said "you're gonna get a question on ipv6, one on port security, one on VLANs, one on OSPF", etc.

It asks you 3 questions per ticket:
What device is the problem on
What technology does the problem relate to
How would you fix it

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I failed SWITCH twice and finally passed it by 1 point, but I got a perfect score on TSHOOT if that tells you anything.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Question for those who have recently taken the icnd1 and used lammles book: how much of the icnd2 portion should I be studying? Nothing in the first half has tripped me up but I don't want to run into too many gotchyas on the exam for material he seperated into the later section.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
70-411 booked! :toot:

...for Friday 13th, so at least I have an excuse if things don't go well. :v:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Venusy posted:

70-411 booked! :toot:

...for Friday 13th, so at least I have an excuse if things don't go well. :v:

I'm booking my 70-410 right now so I have a deadline and will get off my rear end to study.

Also, Second Shot up to May 31st is pretty rad.
https://borntolearn.mslearn.net/b/weblog/archive/2015/01/05/get-a-free-second-shot-on-mcp-exams-through-may-31

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Ugh, I just registered for the Security+ for the 29th of this month. I'm kinda nervous because every practice test/sample question test I've taken I've gotten an 85%. Guess it's time to up my studying more!

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Bigass Moth posted:

Question for those who have recently taken the icnd1 and used lammles book: how much of the icnd2 portion should I be studying? Nothing in the first half has tripped me up but I don't want to run into too many gotchyas on the exam for material he seperated into the later section.

I would read through it, but don't focus on it. Everything in the exam is in the objectives in Lammle's book. Having subnetting down without having to calculate it is the biggest part of ICND1. I did not study anything in the ICND2 portion when I took the first part in December.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Elucidarius posted:

I'm kinda nervous because every practice test/sample question test I've taken I've gotten an 85%. Guess it's time to up my studying more!

This is kind of the opposite of what I would be thinking, were I you?

Edit for more content: Registered for the 70-685 exam Feb 7, which would get me my first MCSA if I pass. I haven't done nearly enough studying but between the fact that it's covering what I do all day and that I'll double down today and until then, so I feel pretty good. Plus that awesome second chance program means that if I fail the first try that work's paying for, I'll get a retry for free.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 20, 2015

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

This is kind of the opposite of what I would be thinking, were I you?

That's what I was thinking too. 85% is pretty drat good isn't it?

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Drunk Orc posted:

That's what I was thinking too. 85% is pretty drat good isn't it?

I thought 83% was passing? That's generally 1 or 2 questions less than what I've been scoring so I'm nervous I'll miss them because I am a poor test taker.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Elucidarius posted:

I thought 83% was passing? That's generally 1 or 2 questions less than what I've been scoring so I'm nervous I'll miss them because I am a poor test taker.

It's weighted, not all questions are worth the same amount and some aren't scored at all. What are you using for practice exams? I'm using the ones provided with LabSim and I've been hitting 80-85, I feel pretty confident about it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where are you guys find these practice exams? I assume they aren't free :(

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Where are you guys find these practice exams? I assume they aren't free :(

Mine are included in TestOut's LabSim. I use the review questions in the Sybex book too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Elucidarius posted:

Ugh, I just registered for the Security+ for the 29th of this month. I'm kinda nervous because every practice test/sample question test I've taken I've gotten an 85%. Guess it's time to up my studying more!

Don't sweat it. Remember that CompTIA weights questions whereas practice tests don't, and nobody knows how they do it except CompTIA themselves. It not as simple as 1 question = 1 point. This may or may not work in your favor.

What are you having trouble with? If you don't have more meatier certs coming up, consider (ab)using CBTnuggets one week trial and watch the Security+ vids. I only signed up for it literally the day before the test, but it covered some gaps they were present from using just the Gibson book.

Security+ is the probably the easiest cert you'll ever get. Don't underestimate it, but don't freak out either.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

skooma512 posted:

Don't sweat it. Remember that CompTIA weights questions whereas practice tests don't, and nobody knows how they do it except CompTIA themselves. It not as simple as 1 question = 1 point. This may or may not work in your favor.

What are you having trouble with? If you don't have more meatier certs coming up, consider (ab)using CBTnuggets one week trial and watch the Security+ vids. I only signed up for it literally the day before the test, but it covered some gaps they were present from using just the Gibson book.

Security+ is the probably the easiest cert you'll ever get. Don't underestimate it, but don't freak out either.

This really reassures me since I'm on my second, more in-depth read through of Gibson's book and I've got a solid week of Prof. Messer and CBT viewing planned. I'm skipping straight from no-cert to Sec+ but I feel pretty good about my knowledge just from work experience and self-education.

And my dad bought me a test voucher for Christmas which is cool as gently caress. :kimchi:

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

redstormpopcorn posted:

This really reassures me since I'm on my second, more in-depth read through of Gibson's book and I've got a solid week of Prof. Messer and CBT viewing planned. I'm skipping straight from no-cert to Sec+ but I feel pretty good about my knowledge just from work experience and self-education.

And my dad bought me a test voucher for Christmas which is cool as gently caress. :kimchi:

This is actually exactly the position I'm in, minus work experience. Definitely reassuring.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
It might just be because I started Sec+ almost immediately after getting Net+ but I feel like there is a good amount of overlap on some of the topics covered.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Drunk Orc posted:

It might just be because I started Sec+ almost immediately after getting Net+ but I feel like there is a good amount of overlap on some of the topics covered.

Comptia expects you to have basic networking proficiency for sec+ and some concepts are expanded upon. I went in reverse order though (sec+ then net+) and was fine.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
For Security+ practice questions I'd really recommend this practice book,

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secur...ity%2B+practise

Its just practice questions and was a really good match for when I did the exam. No stupid trick questions and everything pitched at the right level. I was getting 85-95% in most of the practice chapters in the book and got over 90% on the real exam.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
So I'm studying for the 70-410 exam and I'm looking for some good flash cards to study with, does anyone have any suggestions?

Also I passed my CCNA and got a job in the industry, thanks for the help guys :)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Is there a book Goon-admins prefer for MCSA 2012? I'm really considering earning it this year.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I've also just booked 70-410. I'm using the ms press book, nuggets and a bigass dump of relevant technet pages which I'll share when I get off this train. Edit - this list: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/88247-70-410-resources.html

Kaplan was suggested ages ago for practice tests. Can anyone confirm that's true?

Whether I pass or fail, I will murder James Conrad.

Swink fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 22, 2015

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Make sure to peep the exam reference as well. That will bullet point REMEMBER THIS! REMEMBER THIS! etc where as the training guide will discuss the why and the hows and get bogged down on the concepts.

One book gets you ready for the test, the other allows you to articulate aspects of the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 6, 2019