Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mikl posted:

Speaking of which, I've got this weird craving for a batshit-insane off-the-walls anime, one that makes you ponder the exact drug cocktail that the people were making the show were on (because there's no doubt they were high on something), but is still an enjoyable ride all the way through. Anyone have any shows like that to recommend?

The California Crisis OVA is good for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mikl posted:

Speaking of which, I've got this weird craving for a batshit-insane off-the-walls anime, one that makes you ponder the exact drug cocktail that the people were making the show were on (because there's no doubt they were high on something), but is still an enjoyable ride all the way through. Anyone have any shows like that to recommend?
Kuuchuu Buranko, aka Trapeze.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Paracelsus posted:

Kuuchuu Buranko, aka Trapeze.

Actually the real title is "Welcome To Irabu's Office :)" The smiley is part of the title.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What kind of robot shows are airing at the moment? I've got a CR account and I'm looking for something to watch that's got some action and preferably Sci fi.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

aldnoah zero has kinda silly writing but some pretty killer actions scenes

it's basically a dude in a generic mech using tactics and stuff to take out overpowered super robots

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also it's the only mech show on CR this season as far as i can tell so you have no other choice

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gundam Build Fighters Try is on youtube

It's alright. Build Fighters was way better

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

also it's the only mech show on CR this season as far as i can tell so you have no other choice

The Fafner sequel is on CR as well iirc so if he's one of the five people that watched the original then, congrats.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kingtheninja posted:

What kind of robot shows are airing at the moment? I've got a CR account and I'm looking for something to watch that's got some action and preferably Sci fi.

I think Argevollen is on CR? It wasn't bad just not stunningly good or anything, I wouldn't be shocked if it got a second season but I don't know what kind of numbers it pulled.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Argevollen was really generic feeling for the first episode. Maybe it got better

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

Argevollen was really generic feeling for the first episode. Maybe it got better

It didn't by the sixth episode. If anything, it got worse, and I never heard anything to indicate that it got especially better later.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Shark Tower posted:

I've been re-watching Toradora and it occurs to me that I need more shows like Toradora in my life. Any recommendations for romantic comedies that still takes itself seriously at times?

It decides to take itself a little too seriously at the start and then again during weird times but Kotoura-san is really good IMO, simple and sweet. Just prepare for a bit of whiplash between the drama and comedy.

If you can stomach or even enjoy Golden Time then kotoura-san will be a breath of fresh air though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

It has some neat ideas that a lot of mecha anime tend to gloss over (Like how the people making these super powerful mechs have it in their best interest to keep the war going, that was always a background thing in stuff like Gundam but was never really a major plot point) but it takes a long time to get anywhere and when it does it's just plain mediocre in its execution. Hardly the worst thing but there's so much better out there.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mikl posted:

FLCL is Gainax's best work. Despite what people say it does have a structure and a pretty simple story, it just has a discontinuous narrative thing going on that maybe could have been done better and a lot of sort of 'wacky' humor.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What's a good show for binging? I tried GIntama, but after 6 episodes I can't really get into it. Then I got bored enough to start watching old seasons of pokemon.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ViggyNash posted:

What's a good show for binging? I tried GIntama, but after 6 episodes I can't really get into it. Then I got bored enough to start watching old seasons of pokemon.

Watch Sket Dance. gently caress yeah. Or maybe watch Shingeki no Bahamut or Baccano!.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

space brothers is definitely the answer to this if you haven't watched it

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Happiness posted:

space brothers is definitely the answer to this if you haven't watched it

I watched about half of it a while ago and it's really good, but it's sooo sloooow. I got really bored of it.

Drifter posted:

Watch Sket Dance. gently caress yeah. Or maybe watch Shingeki no Bahamut or Baccano!.

Saw Bahamut and Baccano, but never heard of Sket Dance. Guess I'll try that.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

I watched about half of it a while ago and it's really good, but it's sooo sloooow. I got really bored of it.

i'll fight you

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Watch Tiger and Bunny. Kokoro Connect is also pretty good to binge on.

With Gintama, you probably should just start watching from episode 51 and forward. The whole first year is kinda uneven, since there are a lot of episodes to meet new members of the cast, and it doesn't always work.

vvvv e: Spoken like a true dick-joke connoisseur. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 20, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Personally I like recommending the two-part episode about the Wii, episodes 98-99. It's funny as hell and I've won over a fair amount of people by showing it to them.

Gintama's sorta like a lot of long running sitcoms in that the earliest episodes are definitely the low point. You wouldn't tell someone to watch something like The Simpsons or Seinfeld from the start, you'd tell them to watch the better seasons first and then check out the early episodes later if they become a fan!

e: Gintama has the finest dick jokes and that's why it's a good anime.

Srice fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 20, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Happiness posted:

i'll fight you

He's not wrong. It's slow as gently caress 3 eps out of 5. That's not to say it's not an awesome show, but c'mon now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Watch Tiger and Bunny. Kokoro Connect is also pretty good to binge on.

With Gintama, you probably should just start watching from episode 51 and forward. The whole first year is kinda uneven, since there are a lot of episodes to meet new members of the cast, and it doesn't always work.

vvvv e: Spoken like a true dick-joke connoisseur. vvvv

Saw Kokoro Connect, that was pretty neat. I tried Tiger and Bunny but it wasn't for me. Yeah, I know the ADTRW opinion on it,

Just saw the first episode of Sket Dance. The intro was generic as gently caress, but it turned out to be really neat, and right up my alley. Thanks for the rec.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Happiness posted:

i'll fight you
I love Space Brothers. Mutta owns. Space owns. It's a great show. But its pacing is really bad.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Thanks to all of you that recommended I watch Kids on the Slope on the last page. It was fantastic, and exactly what I was looking for (a grounded coming of age story).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's so good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Kids on the Slope is good, just don't watch the dub because it is bad. I really wish Sentai gave a gently caress about their dubs.

Yeah, I totally love dubs where your QA is so bad that you forget to dub lines. (Golgo 13 and Bodacious Space Pirates. Probably more)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol really?

you wouldn't have a youtube link, would you?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cake Attack posted:

lol really?

you wouldn't have a youtube link, would you?

For the missing lines? No. I just know because I own the DVD/Blu-Ray's myself. I'll see if I can find it though.

Edit: Quick checking can't find it. I remember Bodacious Space Pirates wasn't TOO bad as it was a throw away line, but in Golgo 13, it was bad. A bartender just starts talking and there's nothing. I had to check to make sure I didn't hit mute. Checked Japanese, sure enough he was talking.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 20, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

thanks, but don't try too hard, i'll live

i was imagining the line still being in japanese though, just mute isn't near as funny

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, that would have been funny. Instead it's just sad incompetence.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Black Stones posted:

I really wish Sentai gave a gently caress about their dubs.

You might say they don't have the time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
That sounds loving horrible. Her voice is so bad.

Good thing I passed on buying it because it didn't include the new fixed ending episode.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

ViggyNash posted:

Just saw the first episode of Sket Dance. The intro was generic as gently caress, but it turned out to be really neat, and right up my alley. Thanks for the rec.

What the heck? :psyduck:

Sket Dance is Gintama in highschool. There are crossover episodes were they make fun of how similar they[E: The characters] are.

E: Gintama is better, watch it again.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oh my god she turned into a sassy black girl.

The_Frag_Man posted:

What the heck? :psyduck:

Sket Dance is Gintama in highschool. There are crossover episodes were they make fun of how similar they[E: The characters] are.

E: Gintama is better, watch it again.

I haven't watched any of the later episodes, but the ones I watched were really weird about balancing comedy and drama because it felt the need to shoehorn dumb gags into serious-ish moments for no reason which was more annoying than amusing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ViggyNash posted:

Oh my god she turned into a sassy black girl.

Is that an official dub, though? Sounds like someone just wanted to sneak in a meme reference (google ain't nobody got time for that) at the end. Unless that's :thejoke: in which case ignore me :ohdear:.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

lordfrikk posted:

Is that an official dub, though? Sounds like someone just wanted to sneak in a meme reference (google ain't nobody got time for that) at the end. Unless that's :thejoke: in which case ignore me :ohdear:.

As far as I can tell, it's the official Sentai dub.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yup, she's voiced by Jessica Cavello, better known as the first voice of Excel before the role made her voice implode.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ViggyNash posted:

I haven't watched any of the later episodes, but the ones I watched were really weird about balancing comedy and drama because it felt the need to shoehorn dumb gags into serious-ish moments for no reason which was more annoying than amusing.

It's been said already but bear in mind that it initially started out trying to have a story arc, before almost completely abandoning it for comedy, hence why everyone including myself say it gets better once it finds its groove, which admittedly does take a while since it has a pretty large cast to introduce. The story arc does pop back up occasionally though, leading to some of the best drat arcs I've seen in shonen anime though since the author finally figured out how to balance comedy and drama by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Allarion posted:

It's been said already but bear in mind that it initially started out trying to have a story arc, before almost completely abandoning it for comedy, hence why everyone including myself say it gets better once it finds its groove, which admittedly does take a while since it has a pretty large cast to introduce. The story arc does pop back up occasionally though, leading to some of the best drat arcs I've seen in shonen anime though since the author finally figured out how to balance comedy and drama by that point.

Yeah, I've heard this a bunch. Where-ish would you suggest starting?

• Locked thread