Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

e

Tim Whatley has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Dec 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Tim Whatley posted:

The comfiest beanbag chair/bed/couch and the accompanying ottoman. (Black bag, blue ottoman) Not the chick.

Where can I purchase?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

e

Tim Whatley has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Dec 15, 2019

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Oneiros posted:

Hibiki 12yr. Delicious

I make poor financial decisions :smith:

This one is a particularly good financial decision actually. Try the 17 year sometime if you haven't already.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

zVxTeflon posted:

Yeah but you also unironically suggested he read the fashion threads on SA so..

Yeah...it's almost like there are knowledgeable people in the various sub-forums...almost as if people...cared about stuff they talked about on these forums... :shrug:

Content:
I bought a tasty burrito for dinner because I had a sinus headache and didn't feel like cooking.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Van Dis posted:

This one is a particularly good financial decision actually. Try the 17 year sometime if you haven't already.

I haven't but I'm keeping an eye out! I had a hard enough time just finding the 12yr, unfortunately. :(

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

"Oh so you got a Theology and Religious Studies degree, what are you doing with that?"

"Errr... reading more books..."

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Bought an iPad Air 32 GB today. Finally got sick of my old iPad 2 running like absolute poo poo on iOS 8. Managed to trade in the old iPad for a fair chunk of money, and got the new one at a very reasonable price. I didn't think the retina display would be such a massive change, but it's so pretty.

The only downside of it all is now it won't fit into my old keyboard case, the iPad is too thin to stay up :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oneiros posted:

I haven't but I'm keeping an eye out! I had a hard enough time just finding the 12yr, unfortunately. :(

Where do you live? We get this in uk supermarkets now

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bape Culture posted:

Where do you live? We get this in uk supermarkets now

You get award-winning Japanese blended whisky in supermarkets?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Drinksupermarket.com at least :v:

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Alcohol consumption in the UK is like burger consumption in the US.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah it's loving great.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I checked some prices and it's not even expensive whiskey so why not?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My blender base started leaking and I wanted to get one that allows me to blend right in the travel container thing, so I bought this despite the iffy things I heard about ninja's in general. I figure it should be fine just making 1-2 smoothies each day. If it dies in a couple of years I'll buy a vitamix or something.

Not sure how much I paid for it yet, my friend works at Kohl's and was going to work her employee discount magic on it, I'm thinking around $120 or so is what it will finally cost.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I haven't heard any annecdotal bad reviews from friends with them, so we bought a Ninja system as well. What have you heard?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

I haven't heard any annecdotal bad reviews from friends with them, so we bought a Ninja system as well. What have you heard?

Breaking blades, plastic gears, poor warranty support. The usual. I don't think I'll be too hard on it so it should at least last a while, I hope.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

Breaking blades, plastic gears, poor warranty support. The usual. I don't think I'll be too hard on it so it should at least last a while, I hope.

My roommates came broken and has been sitting on top of our cabinets ever since.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

I have a Ninja blender (different model) with the single serving base and after a year, no complaints yet. I use it exclusively for smoothies though and haven't used the main container yet.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah hahaha. I get that you're trying to spin this as I don't know what a half decent whiskey is. But I've bought bottles from Tesco and Waitrose like 2 minutes from my house. They do yamazaki and nikka too.

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012
Hopefully this doesn't start another shoe derail, but I got new skate shoes.

White suede with none of the annoying details you get on normal converse.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Club Sandwich posted:

Ahhhhh these are rad. I like the black ones.

My tastes tend toward the Converse x John Varvatos ones but these could change that...

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I just put down the "build queue" payment for this badboy

http://geekchichq.com/the-emissary-gaming-table.html

It should be built and delivered to my house in about 6 months.

For those that don't want to click, it's an heirloom quality dining room table that doubles as a gaming table. I put my initial deposit down on it back in July. Today I paid the piper for the rest since it's time to go into production.

Options I selected
Walnut finish
Width Wise Leaves
Fabric lid that is 4 leaves in size so it can sit in place of some of the leaves for a "Poker table" style if I don't want to play in the vault.
Bamboo Vault Floor
Rails on all sides
Deep dish vault
Rail guards x2
Vault size is 4'x6' So I can play pretty much any mini game I desire.

Kilazar has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Jan 20, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How is that a dining table when the lip is 3 inches higher than the actual table top?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

How is that a dining table when the lip is 3 inches higher than the actual table top?

Not pictured are the leaves that go over that. What you see there is the "vault" exposed.

Leaves sit across the top to cover the vault and preserve a game in progress if needed.

*edit*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-XhvYiAUYo

Video review by Tom Vasel on the one he ordered. Goes into way more detail than the website does. The site doesn't do the options justice. They wait till you put your down in, then you get this whole wide world of pdf documents sent to you.

My table has width wise leaves. So they are not super long and there is no crazy cross beam. And cost more. Just to show a difference between his table and mine. Plus I have a bamboo vault floor where as he has the White vault floor.

Kilazar has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jan 20, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is rapidly becoming a thing in the US too. A regional grocery chain (Giant Eagle for PA/OH goons) is starting to put state liquor agencies in some of their higher-tier stores - at least in Ohio, Pennsylvania still has puritanical liquor laws so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

I'm not talking about the lovely cheap plastic bottle swill that you can usually buy at a grocery store - actual name-brand top shelf stuff that you'd find at a dedicated liquor store.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jan 20, 2015

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Club Sandwich posted:

I like regular Chucks just fine, but those do look nice. The only thing I can't quite decide on is the smileys on the heels.

The asymmetry of the other heel having a frown irks me a little bit. Still, I'm going to keep an eye out for them.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

He does seem to like this accessorary.

quote:

The site doesn't do the options justice. They wait till you put your down in, then you get this whole wide world of pdf documents sent to you.
So you give them money and then they show you the stuff you can buy?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Or a friend has one and you think it's really awesome and you want your own but with slightly different leaves or whatever.

I knew a guy who had one. Very cool, but I couldn't justify the cost.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

He does seem to like this accessorary.
So you give them money and then they show you the stuff you can buy?

Yes. Or rather, you give them money then you get the real prices. Through research on their site and seeing the tables at conventions you get the full picture of what is available. Just not the price's for each feature.

The site has everything you need to understand the features, it's just not everything is contained under one table. Like the pictured Emissary doesn't show the leaves. But it's assumed that every table has the leaves since that is the thing. These are convertible gaming tables. That's the product. And the target audience isn't pikers that are going to him and haw over the price. It's people that know how to save and do their research before dropping a huge load of cash on something.

So they list the general price and the down required. When you put the down, it is explained that it is non refundable. But it is transferable to a different item. It's assumed that if you can meet the down and the "Average" price doesn't scare you. That you are their target audience. The company does a really good job of making you feel like a rich bastard that is having your every whim catered too. Even if you are not a rich bastard.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kilazar posted:

Yes. Or rather, you give them money then you get the real prices.

That's called a scam dude.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

That's called a scam dude.

Well Wil Wheaton and several other's don't feel that way. Myself included :) As the company is doing amazing. And has been around for several years now. They cart their products to conventions all over the county.

I can't speak to what is on hand at the conventions, maybe they have the price breakdowns I received in email available as handouts.

I do know that part of the reason prices are not listed, is some things get price fluctuations. Like my prints that I wanted done had the price change 3 times while I was still trying to decide on what I wanted (over the course of 3 months) But once you lock down your final quote, there are no more price fluctuations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah hahaha. I get that you're trying to spin this as I don't know what a half decent whiskey is. But I've bought bottles from Tesco and Waitrose like 2 minutes from my house. They do yamazaki and nikka too.

I'm not trying to spin it like you don't know whisky, I'm just saying that coming from the US it's extremely surprising to find that stuff in a supermarket.

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

I like regular Chucks just fine, but those do look nice. The only thing I can't quite decide on is the smileys on the heels.

The asymmetry of the other heel having a frown irks me a little bit. Still, I'm going to keep an eye out for them.

I bought them primarily as skate shoes, and since the smile and frown drawings are a pretty common motif used by the scandivanian skate company Polar, I'm fine with them. I can see that being a turn off though if you don't care about skating.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Kilazar posted:

Not pictured are the leaves that go over that. What you see there is the "vault" exposed.

Leaves sit across the top to cover the vault and preserve a game in progress if needed.

I can't watch the whole video because I'm at work but it looks like there are some huge gaps on the sides of the leaves when he installs them. I mean, I guess it's an okay table but for the money they charge, I'd expect amazing fit and finish.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I can't watch the whole video because I'm at work but it looks like there are some huge gaps on the sides of the leaves when he installs them. I mean, I guess it's an okay table but for the money they charge, I'd expect amazing fit and finish.

There are tension springs that will push all the leaves together. Watching the video he had a lot of self inflicted issues with putting the leaves on the table. So I would not be surprised if he had them in wrong.

The tables I have seen in person (not at conventions) are drat near air tight. There is some play with the tension springs to accommodate for weather conditions changing though. That could also be what you are seeing. I noticed those gaps too the first time I watched the video and it was a concern until I saw tables in person.

*edit*
here is a video at time stamp that might give a better idea of the fit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIbbwn1dQ5c&t=45s <-- corrected link. It is not another video of Tom Vasel

And here is an interview with Geek Chic at SDCC with some good shots of an emissary table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-aSxPN_c0M

Kilazar has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Jan 20, 2015

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012

Kilazar posted:

There are tension springs that will push all the leaves together. Watching the video he had a lot of self inflicted issues with putting the leaves on the table. So I would not be surprised if he had them in wrong.

The tables I have seen in person (not at conventions) are drat near air tight. There is some play with the tension springs to accommodate for weather conditions changing though. That could also be what you are seeing. I noticed those gaps too the first time I watched the video and it was a concern until I saw tables in person.

Watching him put in those leaves was excruciating.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Club Sandwich posted:

Watching him put in those leaves was excruciating.

Ha! Yeah it was. They are not that hard to put in at all. They are actually really painless to get in and out of the table.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I used to make those tables, including a few that are floating around Seattle (Card Kingdom's black gaming tables were Geek Chic tables I made while working there). They're incredibly nice, and the tolerances are about as close as you're going to get; they run spring loaded ball bearing tensioners in the leaves to make sure they even out—in addition to being hand-made in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Phew... yeah those look really good in the other vid. Wish I had the space for something like that, all the options are slick as poo poo.