Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Now that we're actually getting some background detail and possibly even hints as to what is going on I'm upgrading the shows rating to 'cautiously interested'. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
ANN's episode reviews of the show started today. Nice comprehensive writeup of the show's themes, ideas, imagery, and poo poo like that as covered by the first three episodes, at least I think so. I may of course be biased on account of I'm an editor on ANN, but I didn't write the thing, so hey.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jay O posted:

ANN's episode reviews of the show started today. Nice comprehensive writeup of the show's themes, ideas, imagery, and poo poo like that as covered by the first three episodes, at least I think so. I may of course be biased on account of I'm an editor on ANN, but I didn't write the thing, so hey.

You're Hope Chapman/JesuOtaku, right?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Silver2195 posted:

You're Hope Chapman/JesuOtaku, right?

Caught me red-handed! But yeah, I link the review because I think it's good and smart, not just because I work there. Just ya know, full disclosure.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Jay O posted:

If it helps, I'm consistently wary of ANN but this reviewer shows extensive knowledge of the subject they're writing about and open-mindedness on the subject matter; the analysis of allegory and imagery is spot on without going into speculation fuel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

show's theme: ikuhara's huuuuge erection

show's images: titties

show's idea: fapfapfapfapfapfap

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also a valid reading.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Jay O posted:

That was pretty good.

quote:

Also, the lesbians probably represent lesbians. Keep that in mind.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, you asked for this, and thanks to submitting my assignment yesterday, I've got a clear schedule. Let's do this.

OK, first off, let's state the blindingly obvious - this is a show about yuri. It's called Yuri Bear Storm, the female characters are labelled 'yuri', and there's a literal court that determines what is and is not acceptable yuri. Since Ikuhara is one of those highfalutin directors who includes messages and themes and all that poo poo in his work, it seems reasonable to guess that we're looking at an examination of the yuri genre and Japanese attitudes towards female homosexuality in general. It's not 100% sure what he'll say about this, but it's clear that he's addressing it.

With that in mind, let's look at the history and origins of yuri as a popular literary genre. Around the early twentieth century, a socioliterary trend called Class S took off. Inspired by the Western concept of romantic friendship, which had been imported via Victorian literature during Meiji Japan's frantic Westernisation, it held that girls should form close, romantic friendships with each other in order to train themselves as proper wives for their future husbands, as part of the 'good wife, wise mother' philosophy brought in to indoctrinate Japanese women as good little baby-factories for the expanding empire. It had a lot of cross-pollination with the legendary Takurazuka Revue founded in 1914, which I'm sure many Ikuhara fans are familiar with. For the uninitiated, the Revue is a musical theatre troupe based on traditional Japanese kabuki, with the big twist that rather than being all-male, the actors are all-female. It's loud, hammy, garish, and hyper-stylised - sound familiar? Anyway, Takurazuka occupies a complex place in Japanese feminism and LGBT rights. It's often viewed as a liberating force, allowing women to escape the bounds of their gender, but while the actors are women, the whole spectacle is very male-controlled - the directors and backstage staff heavily skew towards men, and the original creator of the Revue, Ichizo Kobayashi, was a wealthy industrialist (the president of the Hankyu Railway company, in fact, which is why the Revue's named after the Hankyu Takurazuka line in Osaka and the actresses are all employees of Hankyu Railway) who created it as a training ground for housewives in-keeping with the Meiji 'good wife, wise mother' ideal.

Class S had a major impact on Japanese attitudes to lesbians. It meant that same-sex relationships between girls were acceptable if they didn't go too far, and if they were stepping stones on the path to a proper, heterosexual marriage. Adult lesbians were shunned and treated as immature/in need of a good hard dicking. This was reflected in Japanese lesbian fiction, yuri, where two options were traditionally presented to the main characters. One is 'Story A', a light, fluffy romance juuust this side of a close friendship where two girls like each other, discover they like each other... and then the final curtain slams down like a guillotine before the relationship can develop beyond holding hands, gazing soulfully into each other's eyes, and maybe a kiss if they're lucky. More sexual lesbian relationships tend to end in death or some other permanent, tragic separation, as the girls receive karmic retribution for violating society's norms, in much the same way as Hays Code-era crime movies showed gangsters being cool and awesome for almost their whole runtime before they were abruptly punished for their crimes in the last few minutes.

Now let's look at how this applies to Yuri Bear Storm. There's a clear contrast between the bears and the humans set up here. Kureha and Sumika's relationship is extremely chaste and desexualised, but still faces systemic opposition. The girls are dwarfed by enormous buildings and literally walled into their society. Their world is bright and colourful, but very regular and ordered, with a miasma of paranoia and oppression. The bears, on the other hand, are free and enthusiastically, aggressively sexual - they're responsible for 90% minimum of the fanservice and sexual imagery, and eating is an obvious metaphor for sex (rape, in fact). As opposed to the tame, Story A yuri of the human world, they're the predatory 'psycho lesbian' villain stereotype of innumerable Japanese and Western shows. They present a threat that can only be fought by conformity with the social order that controls Kureha and Sumika's lives. Even the bears aren't free, though - they're subordinate to the Court of Severance, the only men in the cast so far, who decide what is and is not acceptably sexy, beautiful, and cool yuri. Remember what I said about the organisation and purpose of the Takarazuka Revue? In fact, if Ikuhara's being self-aware, this might even be commentary on the fact that he, a guy, is directing a yuri show. "Will you be invisible? Or will you eat humans?" is a really telling line - the arbiters of yuri are asking the bears to choose between what is socially acceptable (tame, desexualised same-sex relationships) and unleashing their lust in an aggressive, blatant, and destructive manner. I wouldn't be surprised if the goal here is to preach a middle ground that goes against what either the Court of Severance or the human world will allow - a stable, loving, and openly sexual lesbian relationship. Certainly, that's what the opening seems to champion, with Ginko, Kureha, and Lulu ending it leaning against each other in a happy, naked heap after expressing their mutual affection with a string of kisses.

Basically, the evidence so far seems to suggest that Ikuhara's purpose here is to say 'yo, Japan, your attitude to lesbians is kind of hosed up and restrictive - let the girls have their fun, why don't you?'

Jay O posted:

Yo, have you guys been reading one another's works?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Not on my end, although I am surprised by how similar those writeups ended up being. I guess we were just drawing from broadly similar sources.

I'm pleased to see Ekens getting this series to cover. She's an extremely solid critic with a great eye for detail. Her GARO: The Animation reviews have been particularly fun, drawing out what makes an apparently generic shonen fighter unique and interesting.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Phobophilia posted:

or it's just obvious at this point what the themes are

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On a related note, this academic article I linked earlier seemed to get a lot more relevant this episode. It's really, really easy to draw parallels between the Exclusion Ceremony, in which Sumika is vilified for daring to get herself killed, and the literal competitions to write the best satirical poems about lesbian suicide in Meiji Japan.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

show's theme: ikuhara's huuuuge erection

show's images: titties

show's idea: fapfapfapfapfapfap

Yo, you are really obsessed with 'old men sexualizing underage girls'.
If you've got something to tell the class just go ahead and say it man

EDIT: I don't want to waste a post on pure vitriol but I'll keep going—your shitposts continuously irk me. What is your angle, bro? Are you completely ignorant of the cultural context behind this show? Are you just rusing for 'teh lulz'?
This show is so coherently fighting the objectification of women in various ways, and you want to ruin it all just because you can't look a girl in the loving eyes when you speak to her. Why, man? Why can't we have nice things?

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 20, 2015

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Please do not call Ikuhara old, he is only.. uh.. a very young 50.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

aers posted:

Please do not call Ikuhara old, he is only.. uh.. a very young 50.

He could be another freakishly-young 50 like Hideo Kojima.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

He could be another freakishly-young 50 like Hideo Kojima.

Or Araki the Eternal.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The horror film imagery is interesting, but it's probably Eva-style Christianity Imagery Just Cuz It Looks Cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

The horror film imagery is interesting, but it's probably Eva-style Christianity Imagery Just Cuz It Looks Cool.

I don't think that's quite fair. It's shallow symbolism, sure, but that's because it's alluding to something shallow. Evangelion took surface skims of rich, complex cultural concepts and symbols in order to lend itself a sense of mythological gravitas without really connecting with what those themes and symbols meant. YKA is just establishing a scary, claustrophobic atmosphere by borrowing cinematic tricks used by other stories to establish a scary, claustrophobic atmosphere. It's not exactly trampling over the deep symbolism of the Overlook Hotel's carpet pattern.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I liked the sequence with all the neat visualizations of the girls selecting their next target. Ikuhara does great things with formalized acts like that. It works as an interesting mirror to the trials.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The shows really uncomfortable, and I still don't know if I like it yet.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

To it's benefit I'd say its purposefully uncomfortable though, it was crafted to feel that way.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They're never gonna have a cast to care about if they keep killing everybody off though!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also when the bear fell off the roof I never noticed it before, it's totally a photograph of an actual teddy bear, haha.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the obvious sort of ending is Kureha and the Bears learning to love in a new and more honest way and changing the systems from both sides, but I feel like that kind of ending would actually disappoint me a bit and feel out of place, because the tone of the show and the world in it is weird. This episode confirmed that what the bears are doing is actual murder, so all the aesthetic horror references aren't actually that shallow. With the oppressive, encompassing environment, stock characters, and everybody dying all the time it's structured way more like a psychological/slasher horror series than a romance one.

Also you kind of muddle your message about bullying and exclusion being bad when you live in a world where people will kill and eat you when you don't, and also if you do.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 20, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I think the obvious sort of ending is Kureha and the Bears learning to love in a new and more honest way and changing the systems from both sides, but I feel like that kind of ending would actually disappoint me a bit and feel out of place, because the tone of the show and the world in it is weird. This episode confirmed that what the bears are doing is actual murder, so all the aesthetic horror references aren't actually that shallow. With the oppressive, encompassing environment, stock characters, and everybody dying all the time it's structured way more like a psychological/slasher horror series than a romance one.

Also you kind of muddle your message about bullying and exclusion being bad when you live in a world where people will kill and eat you when you don't, and also if you do.

I think it makes more sense when you remember that the bears are also victims who have this system imposed on them. Basically, if you're gay, society only allows you to be either a predator or a victim (and is perfectly happy with killing you if you're a predator). The Court of Yuri is just the flipside of the Exclusion Ceremonies.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it makes more sense when you remember that the bears are also victims who have this system imposed on them. Basically, if you're gay, society only allows you to be either a predator or a victim (and is perfectly happy with killing you if you're a predator). The Court of Yuri is just the flipside of the Exclusion Ceremonies.

Oh yeah as a statement of the actual world its totally true, but I haven't seen much of that in this show as it is. The bears, all of them so far, seem to revel in the eating. I think if that's an aspect of the world you wanted to expound upon you could do it even in earlier episodes like this, but instead even the two main bears are straight up taunting people before they kill them. Earlier I thought the eating was more metaphor or an obfuscation of the exclusion of people chosen by the Storm, maybe even them being removed to outside the wall, but this episode told us yeah they were killing and eating other people before her.

The theremin music doesn't really help me disassociate those scenes from horror movies either.

Also I feel like I actually don't very much care for these characters, or their love, because they're all pretty flat. In this episode we meet and lose a character that only got a handful of dialogue lines, none of which established much about them except an antagonistic role in the storm. They were a standard sacrificial horror movie victim type.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 20, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The teacher lady is going to become Big Boss Bear and kill everybody, and Kureha is going to have to shoot her down with the last love bullet the bears gave her, becoming the Sole Survivor of Love is the ending that the show should get with the tone it has right now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Although I guess if the line about burying the body was 'WE HUGGED HER SO MUCH SHE DECIDED THIS SOCIETAL PRESSURE IS FOR THE BIRDS, SO SHE IMMEDIATELY WENT AWAY TO GET OUT OF THE WALL AND WE BURIED THE THINGS SHE LEFT BEHIND HERE IN TRIBUTE, AND THATS WHY SHE WENT MISSING' would be really funny.

Really really funny.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/557612005906194432

Ok but what does this one mean

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

So many horror movie references.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kureha is her own mother thanks to time-travel shenanigans in episode 11.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Kureha is her own mother thanks to time-travel shenanigans in episode 11.

But first she kills and eats Ginko, which is why she has her necklace.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

So many horror movie references.

The school hallways are the same as the hallways in suspira, and besides her own room, kurehas downstairs and whole house are the same as the bates home.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It would also be cool if the next episode opens on this finale, but then the girl reveals the black flower Yuri thing turned her into a bear now, and the entire episode is an epic teddy bear battle.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The finale of Freddy v Jason as reenacted by a troupe of teddy ruxpins.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Oh yeah as a statement of the actual world its totally true, but I haven't seen much of that in this show as it is. The bears, all of them so far, seem to revel in the eating. I think if that's an aspect of the world you wanted to expound upon you could do it even in earlier episodes like this, but instead even the two main bears are straight up taunting people before they kill them. Earlier I thought the eating was more metaphor or an obfuscation of the exclusion of people chosen by the Storm, maybe even them being removed to outside the wall, but this episode told us yeah they were killing and eating other people before her.

The theremin music doesn't really help me disassociate those scenes from horror movies either.

Also I feel like I actually don't very much care for these characters, or their love, because they're all pretty flat. In this episode we meet and lose a character that only got a handful of dialogue lines, none of which established much about them except an antagonistic role in the storm. They were a standard sacrificial horror movie victim type.

The thing is that the show's demonstrating that even if you're totally OK with a system, it can still hurt and exploit you. So far, we've had three enthusiastic adherents of the system end up dead because of it - Mitsuko, her girlfriend, and the girl running the Exclusion Ceremony. As for our main bears, they seem to be at a very early stage in their character development, where they're mostly on board with what they're doing, but starting to have doubts. Ginko is pretty sure she should be eating Kureha, but mostly because that's the only way a bear's allowed to express affection, and she's getting all hesitant and experiencing crossed wires over it. I'm sure she'd justify it as 'I want to eat her instead', but the fact remains that she got into a deal with the devil this episode to save Kureha's life. Lulu seems like even more of an outlier from the bear norm, loving Ginko in a way that goes beyond what's acceptable by the rules of the world. Note how she said 'I won't give up on love' this episode, the catchphrase of Kureha and Sumika's taboo relationship, and how she pleaded with the Court this episode, promising tem that she'd eat as many girls as they wanted if it would let her 'protect Ginko's love'. There is some genuine friction starting to emerge here.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh I read that line entirely differently than a deal with the devil, I thought they were specifically going after after storm members to protect her.

I hope the next episode opens up a lot more, since presumably kureha is in The custody of bears they'll have a chance to interact and maybe even reveal some things.

My biggest complaints so far are that so far you could fit the entirety of The casts traits and characters on a post it note, and the cyclical nature of everything means the show is spinning in circles.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Woah, like Hitchcock's Psycho Mrs. Bates?

:psyduck:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Oh I read that line entirely differently than a deal with the devil, I thought they were specifically going after after storm members to protect her.

Yeah thats what I got. Its not just invisible storm members, but their leaders. Since the first girl they attacked was the previous chair and the one they lured this time was the current one. I'm thinking the rest of the girls are going to catch up to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

How has this thread not been :gas: yet?

• Locked thread