Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Just make sure you are offering formula first and then waiting a bit and offering food after. It should always go breast milk or formula first and then food until they are one.

We did the same with my son and let him eat as much as he wanted to. He loved food too and ate a lot no matter if he nursed right before or two hours before. There were days where he wasn't as interested in food and days when he shoveled food in like he'd never get a chance to eat again. As long as he was still getting plenty from nursing I just followed his lead.

Edit: you may want to replace the rice cereal with something more calorie laden. That is basically empty calories with no real benefit and a lot of docs recommend skipping it entirely now.

Also a quick google leads me to others who post that their 8 month olds drink between 16-30 oz of formula a day so yours fits right in there. How much was he drinking before introducing solid food?

sheri fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
My public health nurse gave awful advice at the 8 month checkup. I told her my son wasn't very interested in eating solids for breakfast (he was breastfed and nursed ay night). She was adament he eat breakfast and told me not to breastfeed him 3-4 hours before offering solids. How about no. Like others have said, food before one is just for fun and the majority of nutrients should come from formula or breast milk.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sockmuppet posted:

I'm can't comment on the food vs formula-proportions, because we just basically nursed and fed her whatever she wanted to eat afterwards,, but re: the weight thing - your kid is now at the age where she''s no longer an immobile lump, but moving and rolling and starting to crawl and really DO stuff all day, and their weight can take a real hit from that. I had a gloriously fat infant, who rapidly doubled her birth weight - and then stayed at that weight for over half a year, because she was on the move all day and burned through everything we fed her. But the nurse wasn't concerned, because she was obviously fit and healthy, just - tiny!

A weight drop at that age is pretty normal, and she sounds perfectly happy and healthy to me :) Weight can be a finicky thing with babies, and the number on the scale has to be seen in correlation to the general state of your kid. Since you say that her doctor has seen her more frequently, I'd just schedule a check-up and ask for a second opinion, that way you can put your own mind at ease, as well as have an answer for anyone else who comments on her weight.

Edit: I got curious and had to dig up the numbers. At her 6 month check-up she weighed 7185 grams (15 pounds). At her one year check-up she weighed 8060 grams, just over 17 pounds. She gained less than a kilo in 6 months, which is pretty drat pathetic for a baby :v: She's now 1,5 years old, and we've finally passed 9,5 kilos (just under 20 pounds) :toot: Thankfully she's kept her chubby cheeks and knuckle dimples throughout it all, and she hardly ever outgrows anything, so she's cheap to keep in clothes.

My god. My 1.5 yr old is 31.8 lbs. I would kill for a tiny baby.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

jassi007 posted:

:stare: That's like 99.5%tile

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 20, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Our three year old is 33 lbs. Our 1.5 year old is probably about 30 lbs. Soon the youngest will be the biggest, I think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why does your three year old not eat the younger, and absorb his power?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

flowinprose posted:

:stare: That's like 99.5%tile

yes it is. He weighs 2 lbs less than his 3.5 year old brother. Poor guy is only 40% for height to. He's basically a hobbit.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

jassi007 posted:

He's basically a hobbit.

awwwwwww!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

jassi007 posted:

yes it is. He weighs 2 lbs less than his 3.5 year old brother. Poor guy is only 40% for height to. He's basically a hobbit.

My 2 year old weighs 24 pounds and looks like gollum when walking up the stairs in just a diaper. We should have a Middle Earth toddler hangout.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My 4 year old is 28lb.

He's meant to be starting school in the summer but I decided to defer him - the thought of him going to school with kids potentially twice his size was a bit scary.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
Tell me about allergy tests!

My 1yo son (12.5 months), just had a blood allergy test done since he was getting hives after trying cow's milk for the first two times he tried it. It came back with a ton of positives that are kinda making the wife super worried, but reading online it seems like false positives are pretty common? ie: even over 50% of positives are false? He came back as a 5/6 score on eggs/nuts/dogs, but he's eaten both those fine and we have two dogs and have had them since he was born with no issues. We have a followup scheduled w/ an allergist in ~2.5 weeks (soonest they had), but if anyone with more familiarity with this stuff could chime in, it'd probably help calm both us parents down.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Splat posted:

My 1yo son (12.5 months), just had a blood allergy test done since he was getting hives after trying cow's milk for the first two times he tried it. It came back with a ton of positives that are kinda making the wife super worried, but reading online it seems like false positives are pretty common? ie: even over 50% of positives are false? He came back as a 5/6 score on eggs/nuts/dogs, but he's eaten both those fine and we have two dogs and have had them since he was born with no issues. We have a followup scheduled w/ an allergist in ~2.5 weeks (soonest they had), but if anyone with more familiarity with this stuff could chime in, it'd probably help calm both us parents down.

I hate to be unhelpful...but that's the kind of thing you should really just wait until you talk to the allergist.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
I'm with you, jassi007. I love hearing about the disparity of the sizes of kids. Especially siblings! They're all so different, but still perfectly okay.

6 year old 1st grader is just shy of a full 4 ft, and 50lbs. Has never been a big kid; perfectly proportional and healthy though. Was 21lbs at his one year check-up.

3 year old is won't-stand-still tall, but is only about half a head shorter than his brother, and 45 lbs. He was 29lbs at his one year check-up. A moose from the get-go, but perfectly proportional and healthy too. Carrying him around has made me strong; consider big kids a fitness plan! :j:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son is just about 5', and 100 lbs, at 10 years old. So somewhat bigger than average, but not terribly so. He used to be very, very high in percentile for both height and weight but he's slowed down in growth in recent years.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlistairCookie posted:

I'm with you, jassi007. I love hearing about the disparity of the sizes of kids. Especially siblings! They're all so different, but still perfectly okay.

6 year old 1st grader is just shy of a full 4 ft, and 50lbs. Has never been a big kid; perfectly proportional and healthy though. Was 21lbs at his one year check-up.

3 year old is won't-stand-still tall, but is only about half a head shorter than his brother, and 45 lbs. He was 29lbs at his one year check-up. A moose from the get-go, but perfectly proportional and healthy too. Carrying him around has made me strong; consider big kids a fitness plan! :j:

My little guy is such a softy too, when his brother snatches a toy he just whines and comes toddling over to me or mom. I'm waiting for the day when he realizes he can just knock his brother around.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Splat posted:

This blog post is by a pediatrician and might help give you some questions to bring to the allergist.

https://pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/2014/12/01/food-allergy-testing-do-those-big-panels-work/

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
My baby is almost 4 months old now (time really flies), and he is a lazy little bastard. He loves smiling and talking and waving his arms and legs around, but my and my wife have a very hard time motivating him to lift his head when he is lying on his stomach. Any cool tips? Some times it works putting something under his chest so he is elevated, or putting a mirror in front of him so he can look at himself, but it only lasts for like a couple of minutes and then he just lies down and starts sucking on his hand or screaming because he doesn't want to be on his stomach anymore.

This is not a big problem, and he is getting better every day, so I'm just looking for fun ways to make him more excited about lying on his stomach and lifting his head.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
Get down on the floor with him, he'll probably find that hilarious for a while. Pillows are great, things on the ground that light up or make noises were even better. That being said, my son was also lazy with tummy time. He got more of a neck workout being held against my shoulder and looking around - out the window, into a mirror, etc. One day, almost exactly at four months, it was like a switch was flipped - he suddenly had head control! He loved tummy time and demanded to be held up standing.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

Ceridwen posted:

This blog post is by a pediatrician and might help give you some questions to bring to the allergist.

https://pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/2014/12/01/food-allergy-testing-do-those-big-panels-work/

Thanks for that, it's a helpful article and will absolutely help us w/ questions in a couple weeks.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Sweet Gulch posted:

Get down on the floor with him, he'll probably find that hilarious for a while. Pillows are great, things on the ground that light up or make noises were even better. That being said, my son was also lazy with tummy time. He got more of a neck workout being held against my shoulder and looking around - out the window, into a mirror, etc. One day, almost exactly at four months, it was like a switch was flipped - he suddenly had head control! He loved tummy time and demanded to be held up standing.

He loves standing up! Almost to much, he barely want to sit down. So we do a lot of standing on laps and as you said walking around the apartment looking at stuff. Funny that it never occurred to me that it serves as a supplement to tummy time. And thanks for the tips, I will definitely get down on the floor more with him. We have light up toys that he loves, but I absolutely hate them. Especially that loving fisher price dog that sings songs. Oh well, guess i will bite the bullet in the name of being a good dad! Thanks again!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Werner-Boogle posted:

My baby is almost 4 months old now (time really flies), and he is a lazy little bastard. He loves smiling and talking and waving his arms and legs around, but my and my wife have a very hard time motivating him to lift his head when he is lying on his stomach. Any cool tips? Some times it works putting something under his chest so he is elevated, or putting a mirror in front of him so he can look at himself, but it only lasts for like a couple of minutes and then he just lies down and starts sucking on his hand or screaming because he doesn't want to be on his stomach anymore.

This is not a big problem, and he is getting better every day, so I'm just looking for fun ways to make him more excited about lying on his stomach and lifting his head.

This link has some great ideas how to make it more fun:

http://mamaot.com/2012/03/25/tips-for-making-tummy-time-a-little-less-um-miserable/

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Posting to say that until you've tried to get 5.5 month old twins to sleep through the night, you haven't lived...or in our case, wished your were dead.

We were this close to doing CIO because my wife was also completely at the end of her rope after weeks of disrupted schedule from a month of Christmas travel to the grandparents. We're just starting to try to wean them mostly off of night feedings and almost gave up after night one. Our current goal is a big bottle at 7, an hour of gradually more soothing quiet talking and stories and/or bath, bed at 8, and then very quick "dream" feeds at 11 and 3. Fingers crossed. Although the book we read makes CIO sound dangerously tempting...reporting that it usually only takes "2-5 nights to take effect".

(maybe they heard me typing this...one of them woke up, but a few seconds of shushing and rocking put him right back down)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

My 11 month old daughter hates napping at home in her crib. She just wants to nap on us, or play all day. But this week, we decided to ask daycare what they do, since she takes regular naps there, and we figured they can't possible hold her for an hour plus while she naps. Apparently, they just wait for her to look tired and then put her in the crib and she goes to sleep by herself. Tried it over the long weekend, and it's just 30 min of rolling around in a circle babbling to herself. No crying or anything, just won't go down for the nap. Gonna keep plugging away at it, and hope she starts to put herself to sleep at home too. It's just maddening, because we know she can do it.

Also, just today, I've learned my daughter will just fall asleep in the middle of the room while playing by herself at daycare, since that's how I found her when I picked her up today - teacher was just about to put her in the crib.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

gninjagnome posted:

My 11 month old daughter hates napping at home in her crib. She just wants to nap on us, or play all day. But this week, we decided to ask daycare what they do, since she takes regular naps there, and we figured they can't possible hold her for an hour plus while she naps. Apparently, they just wait for her to look tired and then put her in the crib and she goes to sleep by herself. Tried it over the long weekend, and it's just 30 min of rolling around in a circle babbling to herself. No crying or anything, just won't go down for the nap. Gonna keep plugging away at it, and hope she starts to put herself to sleep at home too. It's just maddening, because we know she can do it.

Also, just today, I've learned my daughter will just fall asleep in the middle of the room while playing by herself at daycare, since that's how I found her when I picked her up today - teacher was just about to put her in the crib.

My son started willingly napping at daycare way way WAY earlier than he did at home. When they described his naptime habits, it was like, "oh no, you must have him confused with someone else, that's definitely not our son."

This is more of a toddler strategy, but we've found that setting timers and giving him tons of warnings has made transitions of all sorts (bath, bed, leave the house, etc) much easier. Basically just,

"Okay I'm setting the timer for 2 minutes, when it rings that means it's bedtime"
"1 minute until the time rings"
"In 30 seconds the timer will ring and that means it's bedtime"
"Oh, the timer rang, okay time to go"

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Werner-Boogle posted:

My baby is almost 4 months old now (time really flies), and he is a lazy little bastard. He loves smiling and talking and waving his arms and legs around, but my and my wife have a very hard time motivating him to lift his head when he is lying on his stomach.

My daughter was like that at 4 months. She has reflux as well so we never really did a lot of tummy time as she'd just puke everywhere.

At about 6 months she started tolerating being on her stomach longer. She was just examined at almost 7 months and the ped said he was impressed by how strong her neck was!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Papercut posted:

My son started willingly napping at daycare way way WAY earlier than he did at home. When they described his naptime habits, it was like, "oh no, you must have him confused with someone else, that's definitely not our son."

Based on my chats with other parents at kindergarten this is pretty much the norm. Our kid is like this at well, our jaw just dropped when they told us that "Oh, when it's naptime she fetches her bunny and her blanket, and goes to lie down on the mattress. Sometimes we have to lay down next to her and stroke her cheek untill she falls asleep, but mostly she just nods off."

This is the child who has at 1,5 years old never yet gone willingly to bed during the day, and puts up a fight like she thinks we're going to kill her in her sleep, and who hasn't fallen asleep next to one of us since she was a newborn. At kindergarten she also sits in her chair during mealtimes and drinks from a cup. It's like the twilight dimension :v:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yes there is what I call daycare/school magic.

My kid naps great, eats great, is happy at daycare and saves all his tough behaviors for us at home!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ha! Same with us. Our almost 6 month old is just a terrible napper at home, but at daycare she naps like a champ and doesn't whine or anything.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Kindergarten is like a magical fairy place for toddlers. Anna (will be 2 this Sunday), hasn't been napping at home since November. She just started kindergarten after new year's, and she naps like a champion every day when she's there. I love those ladies, it's so great picking up a happy and content kid every afternoon instead of dealing with the nagging whinetroll she used to be when she was at home with us all day.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
So, my wife ended up having pre-eclampsia. We stopped by the hospital on Sunday because she had a rash on her stomach and wanted to get it checked out, but when she got there they took her blood pressure and it was 200 over something. Crazy high.

They admitted her, gave her magnesium sulfate and a ripening pill, and she delivered the baby the next day, which fortunately was her due date. Baby was born perfectly fine and healthy!

The downside is she still has high blood pressure two days later, currently bouncing between 150-160/90-95. Has anyone else had pre-eclampsia? How long did it take for the blood pressure to go down? I am really worried about her, but she's getting great care. She is also off the magnesium sulfate drip, which apparently makes you feel like you were hit by a bus, and is now on another pill that they are increasing dosage periodically on, but so far hasn't made a massive difference.

Edit: I wasn't sure if this was more appropriate for the parenting or pregnancy thread, but you guys seem pretty cool. ;)

three fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 21, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

three posted:

So, my wife ended up having pre-eclampsia. We stopped by the hospital on Sunday because she had a rash on her stomach and wanted to get it checked out, but when she got there they took her blood pressure and it was 200 over something. Crazy high.

They admitted her, gave her magnesium sulfate and a ripening pill, and she delivered the baby the next day, which fortunately was her due date. Baby was born perfectly fine and healthy!

The downside is she still has high blood pressure two days later, currently bouncing between 150-160/90-95. Has anyone else had pre-eclampsia? How long did it take for the blood pressure to go down? I am really worried about her, but she's getting great care. She is also off the magnesium sulfate drip, which apparently makes you feel like you were hit by a bus, and is not on another pill that they are increasing dosage periodically on, but so far hasn't made a massive difference.

Edit: I wasn't sure if this was more appropriate for the parenting or pregnancy thread, but you guys seem pretty cool. ;)

I did not have it, but everyone I know who did made a full recovery, some slower than others. Your wife will probably be fine.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

three posted:

The downside is she still has high blood pressure two days later, currently bouncing between 150-160/90-95. Has anyone else had pre-eclampsia? How long did it take for the blood pressure to go down? I am really worried about her, but she's getting great care. She is also off the magnesium sulfate drip, which apparently makes you feel like you were hit by a bus, and is not on another pill that they are increasing dosage periodically on, but so far hasn't made a massive difference.

Yup, my wife did. It was several weeks after she gave birth before it went back to normal, like 2-4 if I recall? It was with our first back in 2011 so memories are a little fuzzy. It was kind of scary but it all turned out fine it just was a weird thing.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

jassi007 posted:

Yup, my wife did. It was several weeks after she gave birth before it went back to normal, like 2-4 if I recall? It was with our first back in 2011 so memories are a little fuzzy. It was kind of scary but it all turned out fine it just was a weird thing.

Thanks guys!

I was thinking of getting an at-home blood pressure monitor for when they discharge her, but I also don't want to stress her out. If you recall, how high was her blood pressure when they let her go home?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

three posted:

Thanks guys!

I was thinking of getting an at-home blood pressure monitor for when they discharge her, but I also don't want to stress her out. If you recall, how high was her blood pressure when they let her go home?

Something tells me between like 160 and 190? Her parents had one of those at home BP cuffs. I think what she did was just checked herself a few times a day and the Dr. basically said 'go to the ER if it gets to high or above X"

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008
I had pre-eclampsia and had to be on blood pressure medications for 4-5 weeks. It can take up to 6 weeks to go away. It was frightening to have to deal with high blood pressure for the first time in my life but it passed with no issues. I would recommend a blood pressure cuff to make sure that the medicine is working. They put me on a different medicine when I went home and if I hadn't checked my blood pressure myself I wouldn't have realized it wasn't lowering it.

Edit: my numbers were generally around 140/100 unmedicated.

Isabelle Caramel fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 21, 2015

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is anyone else's kid batshit obsessed with Parmesean cheese or, as Sydney calls it, 'cheese powder'?

I don't remember liking Parmesean until I was maybe 20, but Sydney wants it on everything including oatmeal (this is where I draw the line). Yesterday I gave her a couple of strawberries after dinner and was disgusted to see her rolling them around in cheese powder from her plate, and happily eating it. I fear what I'm going to find in her diapers today.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is anyone else's kid batshit obsessed with Parmesean cheese or, as Sydney calls it, 'cheese powder'?

I don't remember liking Parmesean until I was maybe 20, but Sydney wants it on everything including oatmeal (this is where I draw the line). Yesterday I gave her a couple of strawberries after dinner and was disgusted to see her rolling them around in cheese powder from her plate, and happily eating it. I fear what I'm going to find in her diapers today.

Yup ranch and shakey cheese on all the things.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's full of MSG and makes things taste good. I actually like the sound of it with oats, and you'll find tons of recipes with strawberries if you google.

That's more for the real cheese, but still.

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 21, 2015

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Savory oatmeal is really quite nice. Would it really hurt to let her put it on oatmeal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Mine currently wants pepper on everything.