Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Regy Rusty posted:

I forgot this was the first Rory episode

ED: THIS PAGE IS DEDICATED TO RORY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I was a big fan of this when it was on the air, and if I could watch it right now I'd probably still be a big fan.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I saw Arthur Darvill in a play. He was flippin amazing. Also Rory is my favourite thing out of this season by about a million times. These are my Rory opinions.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rory is the best. :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
imagine that "I'm Rusty" song from The Venture Bros., but instead of Doc Venture it's about Rory, and I'm singing it.

THE DREAMS I BURIED

WITH FISH FINGERS

THEY LINGER

I'M RORYYYYYY

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Bicyclops posted:

Now we're just talking about movies that we all love from the late 80s and early 90s, but I absolutely fell in love with this book when my high school sweetheart lent it to me as a subtle way of saying that I might want to ask her out. We broke up and it was terrible, of course, but it's still my favorite book for sentimental reasons. Most people like the movie more, and I understand why, because the book is a little over-cluttered by the Ruriturian parody jokes and typical Goldman "Check out these Hollywood types!" stuff, but the book will always be my favorite.

The copy I bought back in 1987 is falling apart from time and use... so I bought myself a new hardcover last year. It's my favorite too.

Since I was pretty young when I read it the first time (tweens) I was shocked and sad to learn that Goldman's wife and family in the book were fictionalized like... fifteen years later. :v:

Also I ended up rewatching this Doctor Who episode last night because all the Rory talk made me need to watch some Rory.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 20, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ON GRAND ADVENTURES

THEY PUSH ME WITH THEM

FOR MAYHEM

I'M RORYYYYY

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Toxxupation posted:

[*] That awkward moment in the cold open where The Doctor realizes how badly he hosed up leading straight into the credits was maybe the best single comedic moment the show has ever done.
[/list]

His sharp intake of breath right before the cut to the opening theme, like he's trying to come up with something else to say, is hilarious.

Oh man, and when Rory gets the upper hand on the vampire in the little fencing fight, only to realize he's scored a point with the straw end of a broom.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Competent straight man," (and the self-awareness you ascribe to it) is the perfect way to describe Rory, really. What separates him from being the typical, sarcastic comic relief is that instead of being like "What? We have vampires now? Wuh- well, gosh, Scoob, get me outta here!" Rory is more like "Oh. So they're actual vampires. Okay. Tell me what our plan is again and so that we can be sure to stay alive." Without remembering this episode too well, I probably would have given it a B, but I really like your write-up. I think comparing Rory to Mickey is a good way to point out what was wrong with Mickey's character too, because, as you say, there's almost no reason to talk about it as it comes up.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

just fyi

this was the review i most enjoyed writing

With good reason! Rory is a great Companion, but I never could quite put my finger on why if asked other than "well, he's awesome." You nailed it by comparing him to Mickey, how the writers treat Mickey/Rory, and how the audience perceives Mickey/Rory, all wrapped up in a really fun episode. This is another of those "hey, if you have never seen Doctor Who before, this isn't a bad one to watch" episodes.

And now that you've seen both episodes, there's a little four-minute "minisode" that takes place between Flesh and Stone and Vampires of Venice that not only explains why Amy suddenly stopped trying to jump the Doctor's bones, but has an amazing line delivery from Matt Smith that nails just why the Doctor takes strangers onboard the TARDIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeJ4Ak2xCkw

Well worth watching if you've never seen it before, or even if you have seen it before.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

also is no one going to acknowledge "the rassilon razzle-dazzle-on"? I worked hard on that one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I didn't even remember that Rory was in this episode and just recalled it as one of those generic mediocre ones you get at least a handful of every season soooooooooo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Annakie posted:

The copy I bought back in 1987 is falling apart from time and use... so I bought myself a new hardcover last year. It's my favorite too.

Since I was pretty young when I read it the first time (tweens) I was shocked and sad to learn that Goldman's wife and family in the book were fictionalized like... fifteen years later. :v:

I have three different versions I've picked up at used book stores over the years, as well as a fourth that we cannibalized to house our wedding rings. It's probably the most excessively wasteful thing I have in the house (I can only read one of them, after all!), but it's an indulgence I think I can be allowed.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Rory is great. Him and Amy and the Doctor are wonderful together and a lot of that is down to the acting. They seem to be genuinely enjoying themselves and that always goes a long way towards making things more fun to watch. For me, anyway.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Regy Rusty posted:

I forgot this was the first Rory episode so this is gonna be the one that tanks my score.

Yeah all I could remember was dumb fish people. We'll die together.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

just fyi

this was the review i most enjoyed writing

oh by the way, did you notice that the outfit Rory had on when he entered the TARDIS at the start was a color-swapped version of Marty McFly's traditional getup?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All I remember from this episode is the Stag Party opening, the library card gag, and that it tanked my score in the Series 5 game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had to check to be sure, but this episode also has another instance of the psychic paper being totally useless. I'd forgotten about the library card, which is another great little gag. It's really just that the fish vampires are a bit silly. It's otherwise a great episode.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DoctorWhat posted:

also is no one going to acknowledge "the rassilon razzle-dazzle-on"? I worked hard on that one.

Well done, Doctor What.

Also, Vampires of Venice is flipping great and badly underrated, Rory is awesome, and Matt Smith's confrontation scene is A+.

'Think of the children...'

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Rewatched the episode today, because although I remember it did being Rory's first proper episode, it took me a little longer to warm to him first time round. A rewatch, paying more attention to the Rory bits, was definitely worth it :).

It's interesting how many little things there are, like his first reaction to anyone getting injured is to run up to them and check they're okay, leaving other characters to run after the culprit. I mean, it makes sense, he's a nurse, but it's still a nice touch.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Toxx likes this episode?

poo poo.

Wait, other people like this episode? Its entire back half is a mess of too many people running about too many places doing too many different things and failing at most of them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Toxxupation posted:

The greatest thing about Rory, and why he's such a great Companion...It's that he's a dude. Rory is the most normal person, maybe in all of existence; an especially unlucky person, sure, but he's a normal guy. Rory is great because his superpower isn't that he's clever or smart or gifted or whatever, it's that he's a Decent Human Being.
Yeah, Rory's the best. :unsmith:

quote:

Random Thoughts:
  • Rory: "Um, according to this, I am your eunuch!" Amy: "Oh, yeah, I'll explain later."
That line, and then the one later on about Rory looking more like Amy's brother than fiancé, did bug me quite a bit the first time I saw the episode, because I felt like they were going down that same old path of running down the Companion's boring old human love interest, and what could she possibly see in him compared to the Doctor. By the end of the episode, it should've been apparent to me how wrong I was since Amy asks Rory to keep on traveling with her and the Doctor, but that residual bad taste has always soured my impression of the episode

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sighence posted:

Toxx likes this episode?

poo poo.

Wait, other people like this episode? Its entire back half is a mess of too many people running about too many places doing too many different things and failing at most of them.

You do too because you gave it an A :)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Rory is such a pretty name.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

You do too because you gave it an A :)

I gave it an A because you were supposed to give it its true grade of F.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sighence posted:

I gave it an A because you were supposed to give it its true grade of F.

Your opinions are worse than your Gamerdome entry.

*takes off on shame rocketship*

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How many different things can you even take off in oxx

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He traded in the motorcycle for a rocketship, he just had to get the shame model.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

He traded in the motorcycle for a rocketship, he just had to get the shame model.

Psh, I stole that motorcycle in the dead of the night.

Left him one shame token though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Mickey is almost inarguably the single worst Companion

Ahem. What about Ad-

Toxxupation posted:

of the Who revival.

Well... okay then.

The brilliance of Rory is realizing that using more comedic beats on the show meant that a straight man was a useful thing. It's something that the show needed (and probably could have used a few times before) and Rory is fantastic.

I think Mickey suffered because RTD wanted to tell the story of the romance between the Doctor and Rose and as a result he was the third wheel. He had to be dispatched like the generic partner at the start of every romantic comedy that must be wiped away by the spontaneous and wonderful new love interest.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bown posted:

Well I didn't even remember that Rory was in this episode and just recalled it as one of those generic mediocre ones you get at least a handful of every season soooooooooo

Sadly this was my memory too. I remember all the Rory scenes but just out of context and couldn't have pinpointed that this otherwise unremarkable episode was the one they came from. It's been a very long time since I watched any of these.

Regardless Rory is the best and the review convinced me the episode deserves the grade it got. It's looking more and more like I should've just gone with my original plan and given the whole season A's right down the line. :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I gave this one a B, for a C-ish plot elevated by Rory. Clearly I didn't quite go far enough.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Random Stranger posted:

Ahem. What about Ad-

Well... okay then.

Given Rory is, what, companion #6 or 7 at this point Mickey does not have much competition unless you a) like him and b) hate either Rose or Martha

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Given Rory is, what, companion #6 or 7 at this point Mickey does not have much competition unless you a) like him and b) hate either Rose or Martha

It sort of depends. The revival makes the "Who is a companion?" question a bit nebulous at times, so you might count Adam or the noble jewel thief.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This is the worst and campiest episode of the whole Moffat run. The Beast Below is sorta RTD-like, but this one is full-on Bad Who.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Bicyclops posted:

Without remembering this episode too well, I probably would have given it a B

This is what I did, assuming that Toxx's immunity to finding silly poo poo too unpalatable would make an ok ep with some nice interactions a solid B, but a rewatch really does help you remember how straight up funny the episode is, because of, not in spite of the ludicrous monster plot(and how delighted The Doctor is by the prospect of vampires is infectious). Rory is really sympathetic and stands up for himself without being a whiny child about things. The doctor's Big Speech was memorable and felt earned, and the Rory/Doctor relationship didn't fall into the love rivals cliche archetype. It's still hard to think of anything other than the cgi fish and a tonne of hissing when you think back on the episode though.

Also:
The Doctor: "Tell me your whole plan! *vampires continue to advance* "...someday that will work."

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 20, 2015

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bicyclops posted:

the noble jewel thief.

The Minuet in Hell of companions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

This is the worst and campiest episode of the whole Moffat run. The Beast Below is sorta RTD-like, but this one is full-on Bad Who.

Please visit your local medium and exorcize the spirit of Tiggum from your body.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
This is another episode that was better on a re-watch than I remember it being. It doesn't help that I originally watched most of Season 5 completely out of order, and this wasn't the first episode I saw with Rory as a companion, so that didn't stick in my mind at all.

I'm pretty sure I gave this episode a C, and it's probably because what stuck in my mind was the scene where the Doctor stops the Doomsday machine by literally flicking a switch, which just seemed a little uninspired. I completely forgot about some aspects of the episode, though, like the Venetian guy they teamed up with and his sacrifice.

But yeah, Rory's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This can't be the worst episode, I'm not actively disgusted and offended!

(although iirc we're already at the point where Moffat considers 'Amy has a lot of witticisms in her dialogue' to be the same thing as 'Amy has a personality', right?)

• Locked thread