Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Paladinus posted:

You see, back in the day poor people would have to survive on literally nothing but bread for days. As you can imagine, it gets very depressing after awhile. That's why you toast a slice, add salt and spice, and put it in the middle. Then you eat it and imagine it was a real sandwich.

Ah. drat. I thought it was a whole "i'm self-diagnosed autistic and I only eat hotdogs and toast and my mom isn't around to heat up the hotdogs so I'll make a toast sandwich" type of situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

I guess I just don't understand the appeal. The way people use mayo seems to be more about covering up other flavors that complementing them.

Edit: Probably should have said obesity instead of diabetes. And this is where I got that impression.

Remember the color wheel from kindergarden? Imagine that but with tastes and textures, so instead of red blue green etc you'd have salty, fatty, acidic, herbal etc. Sometimes you need a little of something fatty to compliment something else.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Fresh, homemade mayo is so delicious. Especially with French fries.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

How Rude posted:

You don't have to dump half a bottle of mayonnaise on your cheeseburger, you can just lightly spread it on the bun to get the flavor. Though, the people that do dump gallons of ranch or mayo on their stuff are pretty disgusting people regardless of what else they eat imo.

edit: what's gross is the way one of my friends eats cheeseburgers. he squirts out a huge pool of mustard and coats each bite with a large swab of mustard.
or the way some students in high school took the lovely parallelogram pizza and coated it in cheap ranch :barf:

Fountain of Ranch

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Paladinus posted:

E: re mayonnaise. In post-Soviet countries people often cook meat with it. They call it a la Francaise, even though the recipe has nothing to do with France. In most cases it's literally 50% mayo 50% meat. Optionally, there can be a tomato slice and some cheese.

http://i.imgur.com/wmXqkgN.jpg

Yeah, I was watching a show that showcases ordinary people living in foreign countries, and I was shocked at their love of mayo. The supermarket aisles were insane. They had the most gigantic jars of it, and there were so many kinds. Like imagine the cereal aisle in a US store, but then replace that with mayo. Apparently Russians eat about 5.1kg/year per capita while the US is at about 1.9kg/year per capita.

https://ladyofthecakes.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/who-eats-the-most-mayonnaise-ketchup-mustard/

Also, Americans don't like mayo because American mayo is super lovely. Mayo should have a loving flavor of its own, and it shouldn't be filled with sugar. There's good mayo in the world. Very little of it is in the US, though, and it's to the point where you basically can't trust an American that says, "I don't like mayo." They basically have never actually tried mayo, and when I have them try a "horseradish sauce" with some french fries they end up liking it nearly every time.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Jan 20, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I always do double takes when Americans talk about their store-bought foods.
Mayo where I get it is tangy-sour and goes great/amazing with Tuna. I'd imagine it's closer to the real thing than it's american brethren, but still doesnt come close.

I'm just amazed at how many perfectly innocuous foods I take for granted around me are just so completely different in America for some strange reason.
Like Hershey choc being essentially a barf-bar.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

No one in this thread understands mayonnaise.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ErIog posted:

Yeah, I was watching a show that showcases ordinary people living in foreign countries, and I was shocked at their love of mayo. The supermarket aisles were insane. They had the most gigantic jars of it, and there were so many kinds. Like imagine the cereal aisle in a US store, but then replace that with mayo. Apparently Russians eat about 5.1kg/year per capita while the US is at about 1.9kg/year per capita.

https://ladyofthecakes.wordpress.com/2013/09/06/who-eats-the-most-mayonnaise-ketchup-mustard/

Also, Americans don't like mayo because American mayo is super lovely. Mayo should have a loving flavor of its own, and it shouldn't be filled with sugar. There's good mayo in the world. Very little of it is in the US, though, and it's to the point where you basically can't trust an American that says, "I don't like mayo." They basically have never actually tried mayo, and when I have them try a "horseradish sauce" with some french fries they end up liking it nearly every time.

Mayo goes in every Russian salad that doesn't go with sunflower/olive oil or sour cream. I never tried American mayonnaise, but Russian mayo has a very pronounced taste of eggs, olive and vinegar, well, like it's supposed to, I guess. It's just a bit punchier than your regular home made stuff. Can't say it's too bad in moderation.

This is another thing Eastern Europeans love to do with salads. This hedgehog is made of surimi, sweet corn, eggs, onions, potatoes, processed cheese, about half a pound of mayonnaise and bacon crisps on top.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Storebought mayo isn't huge here in Australia. A little bit here and there in various recipes that need the sweetness as well as the tanginess etc is all I've ever seen my family do. A little layer of it on a chicken sandwich is a damned helpful thing if the chicken is dry, etc.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I avoided mayo entirely until I lived in Canada for a while and it was unavoidable, so I learned to tolerate it. Thin spreads are great. Thick globs can gently caress right off. I also learned of the pure heaven that is smothering potato wedges in dressing and gravy. No one I know in America understands the pure deliciousness of french fries and gravy. Screw ketchup. gently caress ranch. Gravy is the new God.

Ranch I will hate until the day I die. That poo poo is worthless.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

blunt for century posted:

Ah. drat. I thought it was a whole "i'm self-diagnosed autistic and I only eat hotdogs and toast and my mom isn't around to heat up the hotdogs so I'll make a toast sandwich" type of situation

My non-autistic partner likes to eat mac and cheese or mashed potato sandwiches. I have no idea why. It's so nice to be reassured that he is the weirdo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Mashed potato sandwiches are great.

I used to be poor. :smith:

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

nucleicmaxid posted:

Well, as long as you can get milk or cheese, it actually has all the nutrients you need to live.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nucleicmaxid posted:

I ordered incorrectly at a burger place once and got a burger covered in garlic mashed potatoes and corned beef. It was awful.

The worst burger I ever had that I ordered on purpose out of curiosity was a burger that had two peanut butter long johns as buns and was covered in bacon. I gave up after a handful of bites and just ate the burger and bacon part without the long johns. They seriously must have just had an rear end load of PB long johns left over from something cause it did not make sense or fit together taste wise even remotely.

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Jan 20, 2015

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Googling peanut butter long johns gives me pictures of an eclair. They serves you a burger with mashed potatoes, corned beef, and an eclaire stuffed with peanut butter? :wtc:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Rigged Death Trap posted:

...Like Hershey choc being essentially a barf-bar.

No one actually likes Hershey's chocolate bars and I've never seen anyone eat one on purpose. People do eat Kisses but they don't like it. The funny thing is that we Americans are so used to the taste, that we don't even notice it.

At least it doesn't have sal ammoniac in it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mostlygray posted:

No one actually likes Hershey's chocolate bars and I've never seen anyone eat one on purpose. People do eat Kisses but they don't like it. The funny thing is that we Americans are so used to the taste, that we don't even notice it.

At least it doesn't have sal ammoniac in it.

Hershey bars should only be used to create s'mores.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

constantinople posted:

Please tell me that isn't mayonnaise on a meringue

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

The Glumslinger posted:

Please tell me that isn't mayonnaise on a meringue

No, it isn't. There's a boiled hot dog under there somewhere. Under the mustard, mayo, avocado, and...I think there were tomatoes on that? The mayo's the only thing that really makes it inedible, though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

constantinople posted:

No, it isn't. There's a boiled hot dog under there somewhere. Under the mustard, mayo, avocado, and...I think there were tomatoes on that? The mayo's the only thing that really makes it inedible, though.

A chilean "completo italiano", or hot-dog with the aforementioned ingredients. Sandwiches made with the same ingredients but with meat instead of a hot dog are extremely popular around here. (And they are delicious, and my lunch today :ssh:)

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Humboldt Squid posted:

Remember the color wheel from kindergarden? Imagine that but with tastes and textures, so instead of red blue green etc you'd have salty, fatty, acidic, herbal etc. Sometimes you need a little of something fatty to compliment something else.

Thanks, makes a lot more sense now.

empty sea posted:

Ranch I will hate until the day I die. That poo poo is worthless.

A couple drops on spicy meat isn't so bad. Any more than that is overpowering.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

ErIog posted:

You're saying that they don't hate mayo if you give them something else that just happens to share ingredients and you know isn't mayo. If your dish needs something to balance it out, throwing on a glob of intentionally congealed fat on top isn't the way to do it. I don't usually go for horseradish sauce anyways because most of the time it's basically just mayo that passed near horseradish. I prefer to make my own since you really only need something to make the horseradish spread easily.

Fat is not a taste it's just supposed to improve texture on dryer dishes and can make your tastebuds less effective from overuse.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

rodbeard posted:

You're saying that they don't hate mayo if you give them something else that just happens to share ingredients and you know isn't mayo. If your dish needs something to balance it out, throwing on a glob of intentionally congealed fat on top isn't the way to do it. I don't usually go for horseradish sauce anyways because most of the time it's basically just mayo that passed near horseradish. I prefer to make my own since you really only need something to make the horseradish spread easily.

Fat is not a taste it's just supposed to improve texture on dryer dishes and can make your tastebuds less effective from overuse.

I'm saying that they don't hate mayo if I give them much better quality mayo and don't bother to tell them it's mayo. The second I call a thing mayo, they make strange faces and say, "I dunno, I don't like mayo."

It's like if you bought an American a candy called "Smarties." They might say, "I don't like smarties." but you probably can't trust their opinion on it because, turns out, they're referring to the chalky horrible dry candies while you're talking about a chocolate candy more similar to M&M's. Americans and mayo are like that. Americans say they don't like mayo. The truth is they don't like what Americans generally refer to as mayo, but that has no bearing on whether or not they actually like real mayonnaise or much better mayonnaise. Every time I give an "I don't like mayo" person some good mayo with real flavor, without telling them it's mayo first, they always say, "this is pretty alright."

rodbeard posted:

My point was that mayo should have some kind of flavor, and that the flavorless American kind might as well not even be called mayo. So I'm not sure what the hell you mean by "Fat is not a taste." and "I don't need a glob of congealed fat!" I'm not defending American mayo. I think American mayo is poo poo too, and real mayonnaise or better mayonnaise from other countries is actually more than just fat.

Your objection to mayo here as being "just congealed fat," is also really silly since I'm pretty sure you're fine with a cheeseburger. Cheese is also basically just a bunch of fat too, but people seem to like it alright.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Jan 20, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mayo more like mayes

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nightmare Zone
Aug 3, 2014

Do you like sucking jalapenos?
^I've been to a pizza place with similar fry..dishes I guess? One was ground beef, fries, cheese, bbq sauce and a ranch dip. It tasted like bbq flavored grease.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

constantinople posted:

Wash it down with a tall glass of Sin Gas.

Also I don't see what the big deal about bread sandwiches is. Bread is what they give prisoners ("bread and water") so it must be alright.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also I don't see what the big deal about bread sandwiches is. Bread is what they give prisoners ("bread and water") so it must be alright.

This is the worst attempt at logical reasoning I've ever heard.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Personally, I only drink toilet wine with my bread sandwiches.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Annual Gala of The Sperm Donor Association

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nucleicmaxid posted:

Googling peanut butter long johns gives me pictures of an eclair. They serves you a burger with mashed potatoes, corned beef, and an eclaire stuffed with peanut butter? :wtc:

The first and second burgers i posted about were different meals at different places but they probably wouldn't have been much worse if it'd all been combined, the one with the eclair/longjohns was worse though in a "these foods shouldn't even pretend to go together" way, like eating poptarts with ketchup or a steak with marshmallows. I ordered it cause it was a monthly special and I figured they somehow knew what they were doing but no, it was like letting a 5 year old design a burger.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is the worst attempt at logical reasoning I've ever heard.

I'd say he was trolling or joking cause it's such an outdated reference, but then again Joe Arpaio still exists and literally did/does that to prisoners so who the gently caress knows

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Would.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Please do not gently caress the pizza.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
it's 2015 please do not try to define love

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

An Angry Bug posted:

Please do not gently caress the pizza.

I'm going to gently caress it

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You can use mayonnaise instead of butter when making toast in the pan and it turns out real good

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
This was posted in the "Idiots on Social Media" thread, but its true home is here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Looks like a picture of some poorly cooked steaks in bad lighting. What am I missing?

• Locked thread