Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

fletcher posted:

My two years is up so I'm due for a new phone later this month. Currently have an iPhone 5, looking to move away from Apple. I really like the idea of running vanilla Android without any carrier added bloat, so I was considering the Nexus 6. It's so loving big though, I think I'd prefer something closer to the iPhone 5 in size. So I was thinking the Nexus 5, but why would I wanna buy a 2 year old phone? So I'm not sure what to get, what else should I look at?

The 2014 Moto X is a smaller version of the Nexus 6.

ssjonizuka posted:

In-laws are looking to join the new century and ditch their old sprint flip phones for something "smart."

They are less than enamored with sprint, so really AT&T and Verizon are the big providers in the area (N. VT). Since this is their first foray into smart phones and texting etc, I really don't see them being big utilizers. With that in mind I'm thinking it may be ok for them to go prepaid, but since I never went that route, I don't know a lot about what is out there. Clearly, they won't need flagship phones, but something solid (and not used) is going to be the big sticking point.

We may even opt to bring them into our AT&T plan (currently 3/4s of that bill gets expensed to work), but I'm a bit hesitant to do that. Just seeking some initial input to help decide a strategy for them. Help me goons!

The cheapest prepaid option is 2 separate Cricket lines for $70/mo. with unlimited talk/text/1 GB of data after autopay for both of them. Cricket is AT&T's official prepaid brand. It'd likely be cheaper to throw them onto your AT&T data bucket ($25/mo per line for BYOD.) For a phone, 2 Moto Gs will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Godzilla07 posted:

The cheapest prepaid option is 2 separate Cricket lines for $70/mo. with unlimited talk/text/1 GB of data after autopay for both of them. Cricket is AT&T's official prepaid brand. It'd likely be cheaper to throw them onto your AT&T data bucket ($25/mo per line for BYOD.) For a phone, 2 Moto Gs will be fine.

Brilliant! Thanks for the info!

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
Well I went ahead and got a Moto X and I'm very happy with it. Thank you so much thread.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

fletcher posted:

My two years is up so I'm due for a new phone later this month. Currently have an iPhone 5, looking to move away from Apple. I really like the idea of running vanilla Android without any carrier added bloat, so I was considering the Nexus 6. It's so loving big though, I think I'd prefer something closer to the iPhone 5 in size. So I was thinking the Nexus 5, but why would I wanna buy a 2 year old phone? So I'm not sure what to get, what else should I look at?

Godzilla07 posted:

The Moto X is taller and wider than the iPhone 6. I'm also interested in a recommendation that would mirror the dimensions of the iPhone 5.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tortilla Maker posted:

The Moto X is taller and wider than the iPhone 6. I'm also interested in a recommendation that would mirror the dimensions of the iPhone 5.

The only other flagship with dimensions anywhere near the iPhone 5 is the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. It's been generally well-received by goons who've gotten it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Why are they making the phones so drat big these days? Or am I crazy for thinking something like the S4 or Moto X is huge? Why no MicroSD on the Moto X??

Can I install vanilla android on the Moto X or is it some customized version? I know it supports 5.0 Lollipop but wasn't sure if it was a customized version.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

fletcher posted:

Why are they making the phones so drat big these days? Or am I crazy for thinking something like the S4 or Moto X is huge? Why no MicroSD on the Moto X??

Can I install vanilla android on the Moto X or is it some customized version? I know it supports 5.0 Lollipop but wasn't sure if it was a customized version.

The Moto X has about the lightest possible changes to Android. It is basically indistinguishable, except they added a few extra useful software features. If you want "vanilla Android," stock Moto X will make you happy. The S4 and Moto X 2014 are somewhat huge, but that's how phones are now and even Apple followed along. The Sony Z3 Compact or Moto X 2013 are your best bets for something substantially smaller. Micro SD is a divisive issue, but as long as you can get a phone with 32 or 64 GB internal storage, it will at best be a niche desire, as I think the vast majority of people will be happy with 32 and especially with 64.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I guess a good argument against MicroSD is security right? If I lose my phone I assume anything on the MicroSD is free for the taking?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

I guess a good argument against MicroSD is security right? If I lose my phone I assume anything on the MicroSD is free for the taking?

No, the main thing is not much beyond music, pictures and videos can go on the SD card and it makes things ,ore complicated than one storage spot for everything. Both sides have legit arguments, but with cloud storage and phones coming with more space it's becoming not much of an issue anyway.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Duckman2008 posted:

No, the main thing is not much beyond music, pictures and videos can go on the SD card and it makes things ,ore complicated than one storage spot for everything. Both sides have legit arguments, but with cloud storage and phones coming with more space it's becoming not much of an issue anyway.

So if all my dick pics are on my MicroSD card (like they'd fit!!!1) they aren't at risk of exposure if I lose my phone?

BTW you say not much beyond music pictures and videos can on go the SD card....well yeah but that's like, a ton of stuff!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fletcher posted:

So if all my dick pics are on my MicroSD card (like they'd fit!!!1) they aren't at risk of exposure if I lose my phone?

BTW you say not much beyond music pictures and videos can on go the SD card....well yeah but that's like, a ton of stuff!
No, anything on the SD is free for the taking by anything. What would be the point of an SD card if you couldn't read from it and write to it with a PC?

Duckman2008 is right, the main reason Google discourages SD cards is due to their limited use cases. The OS can't count on data always being available on the SD card so it's useless for what most people really want additional storage to do which is allow for the installation of a lot of apps that would exceed the internal storage. So what can you use SD cards for? Ephemeral data and media like pictures, music, video, and caches for apps (like say a podcast app or an IP radio app).

While SD cards make sense for someone who insists on carrying a lot of media with them at all times (for reasons like lack of coverage or data caps), in the majority of use cases it makes more sense to have a phone with more internal storage and to rely on the cloud for the rest. Stream your music rather than carry a large collection and delete local copies of pictures and have them automatically go to the cloud after taking them. Then you get all the benefits of having more than adequate internal storage like having plenty of room for apps and system updates and it's more secure since you can enforce permissions on that filesystem which you can't on an SD card.

Samsung has stuck firm to SD cards and of course the low end thrives on them because it's way cheaper to skimp on the NAND and tell users to just throw an SD card in there and most users don't understand that the biggest SD card doesn't do anything to help you where you really need it (especially on the budget phones) which is app space. In the end though they serve a distinctly different purpose from internal storage and having a large card does little to negate the drawbacks of having, say, only 8-16GB of internal storage.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It really comes down to urban vs rural use cases. If you're in a large city 24/7 and never travel away from populated areas, then cloud storage is easier and more convenient. I'm very often out on the water, in remote areas, or otherwise away from strong cell tower signals, so SD cards are a godsend to me, specifically because I can store data on them and not be at the mercy of my phone signal. SD cards clearly aren't important to everyone, but the case to be made for them isn't fringe or out of the ordinary, especially if you live in Texas or the interior West.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Is there any AT&T MVNO that provides inexpensive data-only service? I'm looking for a plan to use for an Internet-connected weather station with a GPRS modem, and don't need very much data at all.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Sure wish I had unlimited data that I could high resolution video with for a low low cost.

e: SD card limited use cases such as:

- Not being able to use apps on

-

Hace fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 17, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
How the gently caress did people survive 10 years ago without being able to watch HD anime every minute of the day and while in the wilderness?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Probably the same way they survived without being able to stream podcasts or music whenever they felt like.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

Is there any AT&T MVNO that provides inexpensive data-only service? I'm looking for a plan to use for an Internet-connected weather station with a GPRS modem, and don't need very much data at all.

If you only need a low amount of data, I think AT&T does a go phone plan that is $25 for 1GB of data. It's a terrible rate on the per data usage, but if you are using a low amount that'll do the trick.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hace posted:

Sure wish I had unlimited data that I could high resolution video with for a low low cost.

e: SD card limited use cases such as:

- Not being able to use apps on

-
You should try it, unlimited data is great.

Anyway it looked like you forgot to finish the list, so I'll help. Also you state the title of the list as "limited use cases such as" but list drawbacks of SD cards. I'll do both for you.

Drawbacks:
-Not being able to use for apps
-Not being able to enforce permissions properly leading to a broken security model
-Used as an excuse by OEMs to offer inadequate internal storage

Use cases:
-Media
-Ephemeral data caches if the app developer chooses to make use of it

It's not like SD cards don't have their uses, it's just that they can only do two things and adequate internal storage can do those better. If for some reason you can't live without 32GB of media on your person at a time, I don't know that finding a way to carry more poo poo is your best option but hey, whatever works for you. :)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

My upgrade with Verizon is next month. I was thinking of getting the Note 4, but with how much I hate my S3 I am hesitant to stick with Samsung. So then I was looking into the Droid Turbo..sounds like a good phone. Now I see a lot of you recommending the Moto X. Of the three, which is probably my best bet?

I care about: camera that eliminates shaky hand/blur issues, speed, responsiveness, longevity, battery life, and if phone makes a difference...cell reception.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Droid Turbo is the best of those three.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone had dealings with Cricket Wireless customer service? I ordered a SIM card online because there are no stores near me. The card shows as delivered but was defiantly not delivered. I've been on chat/phone with them for over 2 hours and they are refusing to send a new card. Not really sure what the issue would be with just sending a new card - can't they just cancel the card that wasn't delivered and send a new one?

edit: Finally got on the phone with someone that could speak English, and she said that they have nothing to do with it as UPS accepts liability when they take the package. So now I have to deal with UPS for a friggin $1 SIM card.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 20, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Massasoit posted:

The card shows as delivered but was defiantly not delivered.
I can't help you but I laughed out loud at this line.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Whoops. Fat-fingered keyboard smashing doesn't always work that well.

Karmakazi
Dec 24, 2013
So, I'm bored with Android after 6 years or so and want to try something different for a while. I've got maybe 50$ wrapped up in various apps (that's being generous) but probably several hundred in music. I'm on T-Mobile and will be paying full price for whatever I buy. I consider myself a power user, I'm constantly on my phone. I'm leaning towards the 64gb iPhone 6 plus. I'm also considering waiting for the new gflex, but that would mean staying with Android... Are Windows or blackberry phones even worth considering anymore? I'm not completely determined to leave android, so I would consider android phones too, like the z3, note 4, gflex 2 ect. I am really bored with it though, and I've never used ios or Windows, or even blackberry since the horror that was the blackberry storm. As long as I have access to all my Google music (which I can always just download from the cloud) I'm good honestly. Looking for solid battery life and a nice, bright and easily visible screen.

Karmakazi fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 20, 2015

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a no-contract wifi hotspot for 2 weeks. I won't be using much bandwidth at all (~500MB/wk.), but if I can get more cheaply I'll use all I can get. What's the best option out there?

Two important notes. My cell plan is AT&T iPhone Unlimited -- which unless I am mistaken does not offer tethering as an add-on. Two days of it are going to be on a train from Chicago to Vegas, having coverage for the trip would be nice but not required.

EDIT: This will be in May, which mean the Karma Go might be an option.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 20, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Karmakazi posted:

So, I'm bored with Android after 6 years or so and want to try something different for a while. I've got maybe 50$ wrapped up in various apps (that's being generous) but probably several hundred in music. I'm on T-Mobile and will be paying full price for whatever I buy. I consider myself a power user, I'm constantly on my phone. I'm leaning towards the 64gb iPhone 6 plus. I'm also considering waiting for the new gflex, but that would mean staying with Android... Are Windows or blackberry phones even worth considering anymore? I'm not completely determined to leave android, so I would consider android phones too, like the z3, note 4, gflex 2 ect. I am really bored with it though, and I've never used ios or Windows, or even blackberry since the horror that was the blackberry storm. As long as I have access to all my Google music (which I can always just download from the cloud) I'm good honestly. Looking for solid battery life and a nice, bright and easily visible screen.
Blackberry is definitely not worth checking out, and Windows Phone is barely worth it. Google Music has an app on iOS, so you're all good there.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Alright let's give this a try: Currently have a Droid Razr M, looking to upgrade in the next month or so. Willing to jump ship from Verizon, and I'd like to stay with Android if possible. My M was great when I first got it, but has become horribly unusable since the last update (4.4 kitkat I think? Thanks Verizon/Motorola for ruining a decent smartphone :waycool: ). What I would prefer would be something with good battery life (I'm going to be on the road for 3-4 days at a time), similar form factor (none of this humongous phablet poo poo), and a decent camera (like quicker shutter, better lowlight capability, not terribly concerned about megapixels). Any suggestions? I kinda like the S4/S4 mini when I saw it at the store today, but that's almost 2 year old hardware. Plus, I remember how laughably bad my Epic 4g was back in the day. The only other phone I even remotely looked at was the droid turbo, but I'm kinda done with Motorola products after my M :emo:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

Alright let's give this a try: Currently have a Droid Razr M, looking to upgrade in the next month or so. Willing to jump ship from Verizon, and I'd like to stay with Android if possible. My M was great when I first got it, but has become horribly unusable since the last update (4.4 kitkat I think? Thanks Verizon/Motorola for ruining a decent smartphone :waycool: ). What I would prefer would be something with good battery life (I'm going to be on the road for 3-4 days at a time), similar form factor (none of this humongous phablet poo poo), and a decent camera (like quicker shutter, better lowlight capability, not terribly concerned about megapixels). Any suggestions? I kinda like the S4/S4 mini when I saw it at the store today, but that's almost 2 year old hardware. Plus, I remember how laughably bad my Epic 4g was back in the day. The only other phone I even remotely looked at was the droid turbo, but I'm kinda done with Motorola products after my M :emo:

Today, your only option if you want an Android phone that isn't huge with a nice camera is to move to AT&T and buy an unlocked Z3 Compact. Your other options are to wait for the Galaxy S6 and HTC M9 in a few months, or to buy an iPhone 6.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So I'm changing the way I use cell phones, and am also done with Sprint. This is going to be a pretty open-ended question.

Country/Provider: US/Sprint

Current contract status: 1 year into a 2-yr contract, don't mind paying ETF at this point

Budget (phone/plan): I'm looking to hop around T-mobile's prepaid plans depending on how I expect to use the phone on a given month, and if that's not possible, will just use the $30 nerd plan with unlimited(?) data/text. Budget on the phone is a stupidly flexible number like ~$30-150, see below.

Features I know I want: I don't watch HD video or use fancy knick knacks any more, I just google poo poo, email, text, and get it back in my pocket as soon as I can. My highest priority is reliable and responsive GPS/navigation, and then it's a tossup between low price and high durability. I'd like to be able to bang it up or straight up lose it and not feel bad. I figure I should stick to Android for ease of synchronization with all my Google stuff. For context, I'm currently getting by on a backup phone, a lovely ol Galaxy Nexus (sold my HTC M8). I also wouldn't mind getting an old iPhone if it meant cheap speed and reliability, I just don't know how they'll perform on today's network. I don't really know much about cellphones any more.

There is one major physical thing I'm looking for, which is small size. I don't want a big screen full of pixels; I just want to be able to use it comfortably one-handed.

TL;DR what is the cheapest, smallest 4G LTE smart(ish?) phone I can use on T-mobile that isn't complete poo poo?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yellowjournalism posted:

So I'm changing the way I use cell phones, and am also done with Sprint. This is going to be a pretty open-ended question.

Country/Provider: US/Sprint

Current contract status: 1 year into a 2-yr contract, don't mind paying ETF at this point

Budget (phone/plan): I'm looking to hop around T-mobile's prepaid plans depending on how I expect to use the phone on a given month, and if that's not possible, will just use the $30 nerd plan with unlimited(?) data/text. Budget on the phone is a stupidly flexible number like ~$30-150, see below.

Features I know I want: I don't watch HD video or use fancy knick knacks any more, I just google poo poo, email, text, and get it back in my pocket as soon as I can. My highest priority is reliable and responsive GPS/navigation, and then it's a tossup between low price and high durability. I'd like to be able to bang it up or straight up lose it and not feel bad. I figure I should stick to Android for ease of synchronization with all my Google stuff. For context, I'm currently getting by on a backup phone, a lovely ol Galaxy Nexus (sold my HTC M8). I also wouldn't mind getting an old iPhone if it meant cheap speed and reliability, I just don't know how they'll perform on today's network. I don't really know much about cellphones any more.

There is one major physical thing I'm looking for, which is small size. I don't want a big screen full of pixels; I just want to be able to use it comfortably one-handed.

TL;DR what is the cheapest, smallest 4G LTE smart(ish?) phone I can use on T-mobile that isn't complete poo poo?

Moto G is the phone for you.

FYI the nerd plan has 5GB of data, unlimited text, 100 mins. If you need more than 100 mins, postpaid plans start at $50 for about 1GB of data and unlimited call/text. Tmobile will pay your ETF for the $50 plan, but if you can save $20 a month that will be better long term.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Cool, thanks! I assume you mean the 2nd generation? And what's a good price for a used one?

edit: vvv gonna go with the 1st gen LTE XT1045 because I don't care about the camera. Thanks a ton!

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 22, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

yellowjournalism posted:

Cool, thanks! I assume you mean the 2nd generation? And what's a good price for a used one?

2nd gen Moto G doesn't have LTE yet. There was an updated 2013 Moto G that got it plus an SD card slot, it's also significantly smaller than the 2014 Moto G. Worse camera on the 2013, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you check ebay, you might be able to get a 2013 Moto X XT1053 for around $200ish, which I'd personally recommend over a Moto G for the same price. I doubt many people would suggest otherwise. It's much faster, better screen and camera. Only thing it loses on is some battery life and the SD card slot.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Do we do travel suggestions here? If there's a better place I'll go there, but I haven't seen anything...

Activity Going to Paris for a couple of weeks.
What I Have Verizon iphone 5s.
Problem Verizon's international policy strikes me as sucking balls. Should I order a pre-paid SIM before leaving, or would I be better off getting one when I'm on the ground? And with whom should I go with? I'm mostly interested in data, mainly so I can save myself the trouble and use the maps on my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Do we do travel suggestions here? If there's a better place I'll go there, but I haven't seen anything...

Activity Going to Paris for a couple of weeks.
What I Have Verizon iphone 5s.
Problem Verizon's international policy strikes me as sucking balls. Should I order a pre-paid SIM before leaving, or would I be better off getting one when I'm on the ground? And with whom should I go with? I'm mostly interested in data, mainly so I can save myself the trouble and use the maps on my phone.
Just pick one up while you're there, it's easy as hell.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Girlfriend's phone is a Galaxy s4 active. The screen finally got smashed up enough to the point where it's unusable. Next upgrade with AT&T is in November - what's the best android phone to get for around $100 that won't piss her off until November?

I've looked at the Blu Advance 4.0, HTC Desire 610, and AT&T Z998.

Also - Would switching to a Lumia break an android users brain?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is it more expensive to get the screen fixed?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

LastInLine posted:

Just pick one up while you're there, it's easy as hell.

Any provider suggestions?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

fletcher posted:

Is it more expensive to get the screen fixed?

The screen has been cracked for the last year or so, it just keeps getting cracked worse as she continues to drop and/or run it over. Last night the left side of the screen blanked out completely, and the backlight is flickering randomly. I'm pretty sure it's too late to recover this one, and screen repairs seem pretty pricey. Something about the phone having glass that is attached to the digitizer and it being a huge pain in the rear end to replace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Astonishing Wang posted:

Something about the phone having glass that is attached to the digitizer and it being a huge pain in the rear end to replace.
All phones are like that now. If you feel like repairing it yourself, you can buy the glass and digitizer together and you won't need a heat gun.
http://www.dhgate.com/product/touch-screen-digitizer-lcd-for-samsung-galaxy/185476005.html
(Not 100% sure if that link is the right one for your model so please check)