Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Pretty much been binging on GX this three day weekend, and since Season 4 was never dubbed the videos I'm watching switched to subs.

First off, the original version has better music but man this dialogue isn't nearly as cheesy.

Second, season four is surprisingly good.

Third, oh come on the VA for Johan didn't even try to sound like a guy. That is straight up a woman's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So the new Arc-V episode was subbed, and it was pretty neat.

The duel was rather uninteresting and Yuya's opponent an unoriginal (but well-handled) stereotype but it's not the meat of the episode: that honor goes to possessed Yuya, who went full evil by... winning without making people smile. To be fair, Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon isn't a very funny monster.

The question remains of what exactly took control of our protagonist. Was it Yuto? That little scene when the two fused seems to imply that. But Yuto isn't quite so... vicious, I guess is the word I'm looking for.
We know, or at least it was very strongly implied, that the dragons can possess their weilders; something like this seemed to happen when Yugo showed up. Does that mean that Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon possessed Yuya?

I don't know, man. Both hypotheses seem possible at this point.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 20, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: How is literally standing on your opponents arm to prevent him from playing a card not considered cheating? :cmon:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Xoidanor posted:

:lol: How is literally standing on your opponents arm to prevent him from playing a card not considered cheating? :cmon:

He was just trying to get the card, man! You trying to say that Card Game Cobra Kai are cheaters?!

Also I love that Card Game Cobra Kai are basically Duel Academia but slightly more sensible "YOU CANNOT SEE YOUR FAMILY WHILE YOU STAY IN THIS SCHOOL OR EVEN GO OUT AT ALL. ...Except for real school because we only teach you how to play card games and legally punch people. Please don't punch the kids during real recess."

Wish Isao had been more brutal, but his almost OTK with getting all the cards he can is pretty neat.

Super curious on what happened to Yuya, it could be the dragon taking over or maybe it was Yuto because that final play wasn't that violent, it was just "gently caress all this cutesy poo poo, i'm gonna play the card and be done with this bullshit." seriousness

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well this ep was really interesting.
Since all of the YGO protags (barring, iirc, 5D's) had this multiple people in one body thing I wonder if Yuya's deal is going to be mixing all the dimension's personalities?

I'd actually look forward to the ep where Yuya goes a bit nuts and goes all 'perfect duelist using all summons' on people.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Since all of the YGO protags (barring, iirc, 5D's) had this multiple people in one body thing I wonder if Yuya's deal is going to be mixing all the dimension's personalities?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

So the new Arc-V episode was subbed, and it was pretty neat.

The duel was rather uninteresting and Yuya's opponent an unoriginal (but well-handled) stereotype but it's not the meat of the episode: that honor goes to possessed Yuya, who went full evil by... winning without making people smile. To be fair, Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon isn't a very funny monster.

The question remains of what exactly took control of our protagonist. Was it Yuto? That little scene when the two fused seems to imply that. But Yuto isn't quite so... vicious, I guess is the word I'm looking for.
We know, or at least it was very strongly implied, that the dragons can possess their weilders; something like this seemed to happen when Yugo showed up. Does that mean that Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon possessed Yuya?

I don't know, man. Both hypotheses seem possible at this point.

I doubt it was Yuto if only because he used pendulum summoning. It seemed to either be a fusion of the two or perhaps when there's no other Dragons around the possession is much more calm than "destroy, destroy, destroy."

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm getting to the battle city finals, and I don't remember a thing after this point. I'm actually enjoying this show at this point, it's good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

mabels big day posted:

I'm getting to the battle city finals, and I don't remember a thing after this point. I'm actually enjoying this show at this point, it's good.

But does the original series have FLAME WINGMAN'S SUPER POWER?!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Yeah I'm watching the GX dub... this is amazing why didn't I like this 10 years ago?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Immediately after I sarcastically asked myself if there was an Academia version of Yuuya, Arc-V saw fit to say "Yes."

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'd actually look forward to the ep where Yuya goes a bit nuts and goes all 'perfect duelist using all summons' on people.

Pendulum Summoning totally lends itself to being the stepping stone to quickly using any other type of summon, or using different types at the same time. Like summoning 4 monsters to simultaneously Xyz summon and synchro summon.

Basically watching him use every type of summon to combo out all 4 dragons at once is gonna be awesome.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:laffo: Oh man I forgot about this.
Fortunately the people who write Arc-V seem to know what they're doing.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

I didn't believe this was real and had to look it up.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I hope Yuya start riding bike when he fuse with his synchro version.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
RIP Rayquon and YugiohJosh1998 "take this with you...my n*gga..." 1998-2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
5Ds is up

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
man reading that made me remember that even in the bad times 5D's was still entertaining for a number of reasons unlike some other series i could mention

i'm talking about season 3 of gx

man gently caress season 3 of gx

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Thinking about it, the YGO series all follow the same basic pattern: Good first 1-2 seasons, then a bunch of filler nonsense until you're thoroughly sick of it, then a more large-scale and epic last season where everything gets a lot darker for some reason, petering out to an ultimately unsatisfying conclusion, then trying to wrap everything up with an emotional finale to varying success.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would say 5Ds succeeds on its finale far more than YGO or GX.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Season 4 of GX wasn't really that dark, I mean yeah THE FATE OF HUMANITY WAS AT STAKE because of DARKUNESS... but it also had incredible, hilarious moments like Chazz and Aster's duel, that time Jaden got stoned, the fact that the villain calls himself Mr. T, and Atticus v. Fujiwara, the most homoerotic duel in the entire franchise, including every episode of 5D's. Oh and it turned Yubel from Jaden's weird creepy stalker Elder God ex-girlfriend into Jaden's douchey wisecracking Elder God buddy cop, which was a change entirely for the better (gently caress Yubel in Season 3 (gently caress Season 3 of GX))

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh wait I guess there was that episode with Axel? Man that poo poo was fuckin' dumb

"Axel do you remember the time you LET YOUR MOTHER DIE?" "yeah and I FUCKIN HATE IT" "that's right let the hate flow through you let me make this entire duel a metaphor for your dead mom is it working" "NO" "is it working Axel" "yes" "good now let me win and you can fall into the DARKUNESS... (because of your dead mom)"

[cut to Axel's not-dead mom]

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Season 4 had this whole dramatic plot going, then basically dropped it for a bit so Jaden would lighten up.

The final battle also ended with literal divine intervention, which is always a hilarious ending. I SUMMON GOD NEOS, WHO I HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE BECAUSE REASONS.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Ever since Jaden tossed a perfectly good Transcendent Wings game-winning play so that GX could advertise Sabbatiel, a card that did absolutely nothing even close to its actual card counterpart, which is garbage, I sort of learned to just kinda accept that Jaden was gonna do dumb bullshit to win season-ending duels.

Edit: I use Super Polymerization to fuse myself and Yubel

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Season 4 had this whole dramatic plot going, then basically dropped it for a bit so Jaden would lighten up.

The final battle also ended with literal divine intervention, which is always a hilarious ending. I SUMMON GOD NEOS, WHO I HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE BECAUSE REASONS.

Yusei's battle with Z-One went exactly the same way.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Same with the final duel with Jack "NOW I PLAY MY FIRST COMBO... AND JUNK GOD THAT BOOSTS JUNK WARRIOR BY LIKE 2000 POINTS SURE WOULDVE WORKED BEFORE, HUH"

I'd say 5D's has the least satisfying ending of all. As odd as the fourth season of Gx was it at least had some direction while 5D's was Yusei fixes everything by himself.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

alcharagia posted:

man gently caress season 3 of gx

Season 3 of GX is worth it entirely for the dub taking the piss out of itself the entire time.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

I SUMMON GOD NEOS, WHO I HAVE NEVER USED BEFORE BECAUSE REASONS.

He never drew it before.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The final season of GX was great because wasn't that the one where Crowler suddenly becomes evil again, and then it turns out it's because he loves all his students and he doesn't want them to go away? Like that was the best character development, after he spent two and a half seasons being a jerk and then about half a season being a jerk but also an ally.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He had his moments in the other seasons too, like his duel against Camula.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The best part about Season 4 of GX?

They basically somehow worked Creationism into the show and made it so a single card was God and created the entire world. Because that is just how important card games are in Yu-Gi-Oh.

I don't know if I'm misremembering that but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Oh, and when Judai was REALLY sure that Darkness wasn't going to go and use his Infinity Combo again and is really loving shocked that...yes. Yes he did.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

You should write something about the announcer in the 5Ds post. :colbert: Second best character next to Jack!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

The best part about Season 4 of GX?

They basically somehow worked Creationism into the show and made it so a single card was God and created the entire world. Because that is just how important card games are in Yu-Gi-Oh.

I don't know if I'm misremembering that but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Oh, and when Judai was REALLY sure that Darkness wasn't going to go and use his Infinity Combo again and is really loving shocked that...yes. Yes he did.

Isn't that ZEXAL's mythos? The universe was created by the Numeron card.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dabir posted:

Isn't that ZEXAL's mythos? The universe was created by the Numeron card.

I haven't seen ZEXAL's ending, this is a part of GX's last 2-3 episodes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Ever since Jaden tossed a perfectly good Transcendent Wings game-winning play so that GX could advertise Sabbatiel, a card that did absolutely nothing even close to its actual card counterpart, which is garbage, I sort of learned to just kinda accept that Jaden was gonna do dumb bullshit to win season-ending duels.

Are you implying that Electrum slicing Not Obelisk in half wasn't amazing?

How do you beat a buff dude? By summoning an even buffer dude.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

quote:

Kalin Kessler

loving seriously? Goddamnit. :cripes:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

real question: As someone who only watched YGO and YGODM, is there any reason at all to watch GX and 5DS?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

AnacondaHL posted:

real question: As someone who only watched YGO and YGODM, is there any reason at all to watch GX and 5DS?

Yes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gx is goofy fun and 5Ds is genuinely entertaining stuff.

They both peter out in later seasons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Basically the Series Checklist goes thus:

GX:

Seasons 1 and 2: Own because they're stupid and hilarious, the last episode of 104 contains the best moment in the entire series.

Season 3: Skip basically everything after they get back from the alternate dimension because that is the worst

Season 4: If you're into GX watch it, if you're not, just watch the episodes about Chazz and the episode where Jaden gets stoned and you should be good.

5D's:

Seasons 1 and 2: Actually legit good. Watch these.

Season 3: You know Dexter's Laboratory? If your favorite part of Dexter's Laboratory was the Justice Friends, then watch Season 3. If not, watch the episodes about Jack anyway, because he's The Master of Faster.

Season 4: Skip the episodes that didn't get dubbed, because doing so vastly improves Jack's ultimate monster.

Season 5: You can skip the final duel against Z-ONE, otherwise it's actually pretty good.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 22, 2015