Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't think this is a very good idea, I'm afraid.

I am also afraid. Afraid that you are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
If anyone else is watching this weekend's 24 Hours of Daytona, the following 14 IndyCar drivers are competing this weekend:

Drivers who competed full time in the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series (* Indianapolis 500 only) entered in the sports car race with class in parentheses:

• Sage Karam*, No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (Prototype)
  • Charlie Kimball, No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (Prototype)
  • Tony Kanaan, No. 02 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (Prototype)
  • Scott Dixon, No. 02 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (Prototype)
  • Sebastien Bourdais, No. 5 Action Express Racing (Prototype)
  • Ryan Hunter-Reay, No. 7 Starworks Motorsport (Prototype)
  • James Hinchcliffe, No. 70 SpeedSource (Prototype)
  • Jack Hawksworth, No. 11 RSR Racing (Prototype Challenge)
  • Martin Plowman*, No. 61 BAR1 Motorsports (Prototype Challenge)
  • Ryan Briscoe, No. 3 Corvette Racing (GT Le Mans)
  • Simon Pagenaud, No. 4 Corvette Racing (GT Le Mans)
  • Graham Rahal, No. 24 BMW Team RLL (GT Le Mans)
  • Townsend Bell*, No. 63 Scuderia Corsa (GT Daytona)
  • James Davison*, No. 007 TRG-AMR (GT Daytona)

Additionally, 2014 Indy Lights champion Gabby Chaves returns to co-drive the No. 0 DeltaWing with former Verizon IndyCar Series driver Katherine Legge, Memo Rojas and Andy Meyrick. Shelby Blackstock, who moves from Pro Mazda to Indy Lights with Andretti Autosport this season, will share seat time with Plowman.

Pro Mazda Championship and Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship teams will test Jan. 25 at Palm Beach International Raceway in Jupiter, Fla., before moving to Homestead-Miami Speedway for testing on the road course Jan. 28. Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires teams will test on the HMS road course Jan. 26-27 and on the 1.5-mile oval Jan. 29.... Andretti Autosport owner Michael Andretti said that his son, Marco, will likely compete in the Miami and :siren: Long Beach :siren: rounds of the FIA Formula E Championship this spring. He made his series debut in Argentina earlier this month.

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 20, 2015

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like that instead of just running the Formula E race on the Thursday before or Monday after the LBGP, with all of the fans and facilities in place, Formula E decided to run the weekend before with a gimped track and no vendors. ~formula e~

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That's our FIA!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Monaco is also going to use a different track layout to the GP.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
FIA more liek FYAD amirite? :smuggo:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

drgitlin posted:

The Monaco track is great because it uses a total of zero parts that make Monaco a cool unique track.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVn-ylT1SAQ

To answer the question we've all been kind of thinking up? Apparently TMS hosts "legends racing" the same day as they host the IndyCars.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
the problem that indycar seems to have in relation to support races on the ovals is that there aren't that many series outside NASCAR sanctioned ones that can run on the bigger tracks. Somewhere like Milwaukee or Iowa you probably could get someone like USAC to run something but get much bigger and you really have to start hoping that you can get a truck event at the same time as your IndyCar race - although I think they run different days so that might not be true. You really need as much of the Road to Indy at the bigger oval races as you could get just to fill out the schedule a bit - although I can't imagine that F2000 cars would have great racing at somewhere like Texas... You could condense the schedule a bit at some of the night races like Texas - although I wouldn't want to do that this year as I can forsee IndyCar needing to make some... adjustments to the cars there to try to keep the downforce down with the aerokits. The Legends Cars look quite interesting although the track isn't very good - but it would help to make sure that something was actually happening on the track!

This is an ignorant opinion by someone who's only experience watching racing was going to see the BTCC at Knockhill like ten years ago so don't take it that seriously... Although the BTCC does run with a load of random poo poo - you get Formula Ford type things and the Porsche Cup and just a bunch of things that no one really closely follows but watches because its racing and its fun!

drgitlin posted:

i just look this track map up and haha it manages to be the worst thing ever

the long beach one looks kinda a bit similar to the one they ran before 99, only with a chicane on the front stretch and missing out a few corners that aren't on the new track

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just keep bashing your heads against the fact that Indy has to be top bill on a race weekend at the ovals, one of these days it'll come up roses, I'm sure.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Just keep bashing your heads against the fact that Indy has to be top bill on a race weekend at the ovals, one of these days it'll come up roses, I'm sure.

are you saying indycar needs to be a support race for NASCAR?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya9AefieRxE Run these at every track for supports. It'd give me and viking something to watch anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I know responding to Viking in this thread is stupid, but its not indycar holding up theoretical Cup/IndyCar dates. Walker said as much a few years back.

poo poo, Bernard even suggested running with F1 at Cota on Saturday.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

Oil and Water.

Doesn't matter if tix were free, and they were offered free booze. NASCAR fans have no interest in attending an IndyCar race.

Zero.

Zilch.

You are never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever going to get that fanbase to give two shits about you. Hell, I'd argue that even when the IRL attempted to be NASCAR? The fans even THEN didn't give a poo poo.

Cygni posted:

I know responding to Viking in this thread is stupid, but its not indycar holding up theoretical Cup/IndyCar dates. Walker said as much a few years back.

poo poo, Bernard even suggested running with F1 at Cota on Saturday.

This.

You could very well have an Indy/Nationwide Week at Chicagoland and Kentucky, but there's been no budging in that regard.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Peanut President posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya9AefieRxE Run these at every track for supports. It'd give me and viking something to watch anyway.

Um, this is extremely good poo poo.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Get SST to also support IndyCars at ovals, have them build custom tracks on the tri-oval ala Global Rallycross, but with the added bonus of being able to go through the infield/over the pit wall. Also, for a guaranteed draw, cover part of the stands with dirt and run them up and down, just like they do in supercross sometimes. Not like those seats would ever fill up.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt44eGML3gc

plus this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMq3cUxgcJc

equals IndyCar oval salvation. You're welcome, America.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Get SST to also support IndyCars at ovals, have them build custom tracks on the tri-oval ala Global Rallycross, but with the added bonus of being able to go through the infield/over the pit wall. Also, for a guaranteed draw, cover part of the stands with dirt and run them up and down, just like they do in supercross sometimes. Not like those seats would ever fill up.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt44eGML3gc

plus this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMq3cUxgcJc

equals IndyCar oval salvation. You're welcome, America.

IMS should have given Robby a better spot to run.

loving bullshit they had him run during the Carb Day Concert.

Also (oddly enough) they're scheduled to run at a venue that simply says "TEXAS" on June 7th, though I don't know if that's just for the X-Games or not.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

be nice wicka posted:

They did something like that in Vegas back in 2004/2005. Somewhere around those dates. NASCAR Trucks followed by Champ Car. People left in droves after the Trucks were done. Nobody wanted to watch open wheeled cars or Paul Tracy. :(

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

During practice and qualifying at Fontana last year there were a number of folks in the infield drinking Budweiser out of official Budweiser glasses, and they definitely had the look of you average NASCAR or short track fan. So I'd say the demographics overlap a little bit.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AxeBreaker posted:

During practice and qualifying at Fontana last year there were a number of folks in the infield drinking Budweiser out of official Budweiser glasses, and they definitely had the look of you average NASCAR or short track fan. So I'd say the demographics overlap a little bit.

I've witnessed the same thing happen when I attended a race at Kentucky.

I also saw people rocking WOO/USAC t-shirts at Indy and Mid Ohio before. I don't think Miller's line about Short Track fans not following Indy is completely true, there seems to be a small contigent content with things, and that seem to attend events in each series quite regularly.

In terms of NASCAR fans suddenly being interested in IndyCar? I don't think that's very likely to happen...ever. That form of the sport is very much centered around the driver culture out there, and kind of less so about the racing involved. There's a lot of people who will follow their favorite drivers in cup for example, and then not give a poo poo about other forms of the sport. This includes the aforementioned short track racing.

It's nothing to do with ovals, foreigners, or running rear engine cars. It seems to have everything to do with IndyCar not having the type of driver based culture that a lot of people seem to flock too..

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

In terms of NASCAR fans suddenly being interested in IndyCar? I don't think that's very likely to happen...ever. That form of the sport is very much centered around the driver culture out there, and kind of less so about the racing involved. There's a lot of people who will follow their favorite drivers in cup for example, and then not give a poo poo about other forms of the sport. This includes the aforementioned short track racing.

Come on.

Come on.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
there's not much separating this thread and Crapwagon in the long run

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
We're way more homoerotic than crapwagon.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rumor is that one or both of the roadcourse aerokits will be unvieled at the Chicago Auto Show Feb 14-22nd.

Probably won't see the completed oval course kits until later in the year, even though they are frozen too, because the manufacutrers are busy making the roadcourse kits first. They may show one of the prototypes though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hi all, where is the best location at indy to sit for the grand prix? they have modified and reversed the track since i was there for the USGP so i have no idea

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

be nice wicka posted:

hi all, where is the best location at indy to sit for the grand prix? they have modified and reversed the track since i was there for the USGP so i have no idea

Stand E is where I sit. You view the "Turn One" chicane complex, pit road entrance, it's covered, and there's a TV screen across the track from you.

If you don't mind the sun, I would sit GA in the infield.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
dont worry NASCAR's fanbase is evaporating and eventually they'll have to figure out how to run events no one really gives a poo poo about any longer

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/112720-nascar-legend-gordon-to-retire

I wonder if anyone might be able to tempt him to run the 500 in 2016.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sounds like a great idea for a guy who's back is shot to hell

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/112720-nascar-legend-gordon-to-retire

I wonder if anyone might be able to tempt him to run the 500 in 2016.

Naw.

Well, maybe.

It is the 100th running and all.

Would be quite fitting to have the first brickyard winner in that race.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I was always a closet Jeff Gordon fan. Dude's had a good run. :unsmith:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gordon wanted to end up in Indycars originally, it would be nice send off. I'm dreaming here though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

Munoz has seen the new kits and says that the car looks unbelievable as they’re “crazy nice”.
:ohdear: cmon cmon

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

:ohdear: cmon cmon

From what I've been hearing, even within AA they're keeping the aero kit on lockdown about on par with the Taj Mahal for the Beast. Must be loosening it up a bit if he's seen it.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
Greetings, IndyCar

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117435 posted:

Former Marussia Formula 1 driver Max Chilton will link up with Carlin in a joint development programme this year as both parties set their sights on a 2016 IndyCar programme.

Chilton will assist in the team's maiden Indy Lights campaign this year alongside already-signed driver Ed Jones, as well as carrying out an IndyCar test programme ahead of a potential race deal next season.

He will begin his duties with a three-day test at Homestead next week.

"I'm very excited to be assisting Carlin in the USA," said the 22-year-old.

"While I'm still considering my options for 2015, the IndyCar package presents an interesting challenge, and by assisting with the development of the Indy Lights team, I'm keeping my options open for an IndyCar programme in 2016 based on a strong foundation of knowledge and experience.

"Hopefully I can also help the guys at Carlin get as much as possible out of their first season in the USA."

Team owner Trevor Carlin said that Chilton's experience would be an asset in helping to fast-track the team's adaptation to the USA.

"We are very excited to embark on a long term programme in America, and to have Max involved in that from the very start will make us a strong package," he said.

"This season is very much about finding our feet as a team in the USA, and Max's experience will be invaluable to that.

"For Max, we see 2015 very much as a chance to prepare him for a successful potential debut in IndyCar in 2016 and it made sense to help each other in those preparations."

Chilton spent two years in F1 with Marussia, achieving a career-best result of 13th in Australia and Bahrain last year.

Enjoy Max.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Phwoar I'm hyped as hell

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if Chilton wins a race I will laugh fairly hard

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
That sounds awesome, except the part about Max Chilton

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Mo' cars, mo' better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

if Chilton wins a race I will laugh fairly hard

Chilton has a better racing resume than half the field in IndyCars.

• Locked thread