Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

rejutka posted:

Pretty sure in MoI Draconus observed that he had been forging a sword since before Dark.

Then Draconus spoke, ‘Since the time of All Darkness, I have been forging a sword.’

So I suspect we'll have a better idea of the timeline once it's made clear what the time of 'All Darkness' was.

I could see it meaning several things (before anything else existed, before Light existed, when Darkness was first brought to the world via Gate, etc...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
drat.

*twiddles fingers waiting for the next book*

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

drat.

*twiddles fingers waiting for the next book*

At least we're not in the Rothfuss thread. Readers well into the onset of Stockholm syndrome in there defending a five year+ wait between books as being normal, and here we are, twiddling our thumbs anxiously because Erikson 'only' averages like a thousand pages a year heh.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Is he actually worth reading? I had a gander at the blurb on the back of.... something about wind? and it read as a colossal :smug: tripefest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

rejutka posted:

Is he actually worth reading? I had a gander at the blurb on the back of.... something about wind? and it read as a colossal :smug: tripefest.

Well, first book is a reasonably well written generic fantasy. Second is fanfic-caliber. The whole thing is average at its best and mindumbingly stupid at its worst.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 19, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

Then Draconus spoke, ‘Since the time of All Darkness, I have been forging a sword.’

So I suspect we'll have a better idea of the timeline once it's made clear what the time of 'All Darkness' was.

I could see it meaning several things (before anything else existed, before Light existed, when Darkness was first brought to the world via Gate, etc...).

I clearly need to re-read that book.

I'm probably the only person alive who thinks this but I generally did not get too excited by FoD. I actually preferred Assail cue the posting about how this is insane, because it clearly is

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

The Soletaken Tiste supposedly drank the blood of T'iam, and Rake drank first and deepest. Vitr is too close to vitae, i.e. blood, to be a coincidence that the Dragons came from there, and drinking Dragon blood turned a bunch of Tiste into Dragons.

If we're going to speculate, I'm speculating that T'iam is a place/thing and not a living being. Maybe it's what they call the gate to Chaos. But regardless, nobody seems to want to let Chaos run around unchecked, so maybe the Soletaken Tiste drank T'iam's blood (whatever that actually is) to bottle it up, and the Dragon abilities are a side-effect, rather than the main purpose. That fits with the mopey melancholy burden attitude the Andii have better, I think.

There are a number of occasions in the series where Tiam is mentioned as an entity and where different Ascendants say "Tiam you bitch". Also several mentions of Tiste sleeping with Tiam.
Tiam also dies and is reborn constantly. Based on this I have a hard time seeing her as anything else than an Azathanai.

In FoD it is also implied that different Azathanai have influence over different races.
Olar Ethil - Dog-Runners/Imass
Grizzin Farl/Kilmandaros - Forulkan/Forkrul Assail
Draconus - Tiste (since he is Suzerain of the Night)
Applying this to Tiam, that would make her having influence on dragons.

Habibi posted:

Kallor is human for all intents and purposes, but IIRC (though I don't have a reference) was into his life-extending alchemies even before the curse made him immortal. Given that said curse was leveled before Dragnipur was completed, and hence before the culmination of the conflict between Rake/Draconus (a conflict that, at least from my impression, preceded the mass exodus of the Tiste from their newly created realms back into the world, as Draconus has no appearance or mention in the flashbacks to that time), it probably is exactly him.

Isn't it mentioned when the Crippled God is drawn down that Kallor having been doing the whole High King for a long time. In that case, it is probably in, although in a different realm.

Baudin posted:

I clearly need to re-read that book.

The answer with Erikson is always to reread.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

Name of the Wind. Yeah, it's largely a Mary Sue adventure, with vague promises of an eminently unreliable narrator to bring things down to earth later on - but when that later on will be is unclear. He does write great prose (one of the better at it in the genre) and as mentioned, the first book is pretty good (and generic, IMO, largely in it being a 'follow the hero as he grows up' story), has an interesting take on magic, and lays down promising groundwork. But book two does very little to progress the main story (focusing instead on side adventures and too much rehashing of some of the more annoying goings on of the first book), introduces some elements that challenge one's suspension of disbelief (a society that hasn't figured out the connection between sex and impregnation), and dedicates an inordinate amount of time on its main character's sexual kung fu adventures with a sex fairy, in what has to rank as one of the most painful self-inserts of all time. To summarize my experience: I awaited the second book with almost as bated a breath as I have for most Malazan entries, but after reading it (which was now almost four years ago), lost nearly all interest in book three.

But some people like it, so mileage will vary.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

There are a number of occasions in the series where Tiam is mentioned as an entity and where different Ascendants say "Tiam you bitch". Also several mentions of Tiste sleeping with Tiam.
Tiam also dies and is reborn constantly. Based on this I have a hard time seeing her as anything else than an Azathanai.

It's an interesting theory, but she is the God of or the first Eleint. I would be very surprised if she ended up having any link to the Azathanai (who are hard to kill, but don't get reborn after dying) aside from mating with/getting killed by/having her blood drunk by some of them.

quote:

Isn't it mentioned when the Crippled God is drawn down that Kallor having been doing the whole High King for a long time. In that case, it is probably in, although in a different realm.

I'm pretty sure that him doing the High King thing for a long time was one of the big reasons a bunch of mages tried to throw a god at him in the first place. Not sure why it would have to be in a different realm?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 19, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Baudin posted:

I'm probably the only person alive who thinks this but I generally did not get too excited by FoD. I actually preferred Assail cue the posting about how this is insane, because it clearly is

You're going to get banished to the Rothfuss thread.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Habibi posted:

You're going to get banished to the Rothfuss thread.

No accounting for good taste.

e: actually the real reason is due to rushing FoD a bit and having a bit more time to read Assail on a few plane trips back to back while on vacation. Plus the actual vacation itself. Nothing quite like relaxing while reading a travel log set in not-The New World instead of reading a thousand page book in two days.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 19, 2015

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Well, first book is a reasonably well written generic fantasy. Second is fanfic-caliber. The whole thing is average at its best and mindumbingly stupid at its worst.

I get the suspicion that writers taking too long with something usually ends up with a worse result.

As with Martin, it's like the length of the writing is inversely proportional to how well received the book will be. Who knows, maybe the very first revision of Rothfuss book 2 was actually very good.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Abalieno posted:

I get the suspicion that writers taking too long with something usually ends up with a worse result.

As with Martin, it's like the length of the writing is inversely proportional to how well received the book will be. Who knows, maybe the very first revision of Rothfuss book 2 was actually very good.
Given he drafted the whole story in college, it's more likely book 2 was originally Mary Sue fairy sexcapades from start to finish.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I had great hopes for Rothfuss, Anthony Ryan and Scott Lynch and they all laid big fat turds. Rothfuss is probably hopeless now given the early success.

Erikson Butcher and Rajaniemi are all I have now.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Hand Row posted:

I had great hopes for Rothfuss, Anthony Ryan and Scott Lynch and they all laid big fat turds. Rothfuss is probably hopeless now given the early success.

What about Joe Ambercrombie?

e: Scott Lynch's stuff was pretty entertaining and much better than a bunch of crap out there.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Baudin posted:

What about Joe Ambercrombie?

e: Scott Lynch's stuff was pretty entertaining and much better than a bunch of crap out there.

Ambercrombie is fine but his worlds tend to be generic and he is writing a YA series right now.

Lynch had a fantastic start but his series is going downhill, the third book was junk. I know some of it may be due to depression but I also think he has written himself into some corners, notably making mages way too powerful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just wanted to let you all know I really appreciate the spoiler tags :3:

Everyone is converging on this evil hellgod prison and the book is just about at the point of 'can't put it down' so yay!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

How was Ryan's Tower Lord? I enjoyed BloodSong but have held off on the sequel because of all the "this is just wallet padding filler" reviews.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Rarity posted:

Everyone is converging on this evil hellgod prison and the book is just about at the point of 'can't put it down' so yay!

That first 2/3 masterful weaving of disparate stories and last 1/3 rollercoaster convergence finish that you can't put down pattern was what stood out to me the most when I first read him.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Hand Row posted:

Hmm, since recommending Bakker is problematic and with mixed results you could always try with Stover's "Acts of Caine".

I do think there's absolutely no shortage of good stuff, but my taste is usually broader than most.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Rarity posted:

Nooooooooooooooooo, post updates. :ohdear:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hand Row posted:

Ambercrombie is fine but his worlds tend to be generic and he is writing a YA series right now.

It owns so far though. Really concise writing. I thought "gently caress, that's a really good sentence" about once a page for the entire thing.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Abalieno posted:

I do think there's absolutely no shortage of good stuff, but my taste is usually broader than most.

I should say I do read more than those three authors. They are simply my holy poo poo must buy on release fiction authors.

The second Tower Lord book is ok. Everything plays out by the numbers with no big reveals or twists so I would agree with the filler comments.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hand Row posted:

I should say I do read more than those three authors. They are simply my holy poo poo must buy on release fiction authors.

The second Tower Lord book is ok. Everything plays out by the numbers with no big reveals or twists so I would agree with the filler comments.

That's too bad. I finished the third Lightbringer or whatever book by Weeks last week, and it was well-written and interesting, but where the pieces all wound up at the end seemed like it could have been accomplished in fifty pages. Also I found Tywin Lannister Andross Guile wearing fairly tiresome.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I kinda liked Mieville if anyone is looking for another series. He's not amazing, and he overused kinda big words (see if you can keep track of how many times puissance is used in book 2, holy gently caress.) But the books are decent enough, and some of his nonhumans have some neat ideas. At least, in the New Crobuzon books that I've read, and I'm just about to start book 3.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Abalieno posted:

Hmm, since recommending Bakker is problematic and with mixed results you could always try with Stover's "Acts of Caine".

I know some people have problems with Bakker, but for epic fantasy, he is really good.
For people liking Erikson, I would recommend older writers like Fritz Leiber and Moorcock.

Habibi posted:

It's an interesting theory, but she is the God of or the first Eleint. I would be very surprised if she ended up having any link to the Azathanai (who are hard to kill, but don't get reborn after dying) aside from mating with/getting killed by/having her blood drunk by some of them.

I guess we will see, and hopefully soon. We are really spoiled by Eriksons writing when a year feels like a long time. We got Willful Child last year and it was great given its premises.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

nucleicmaxid posted:

I kinda liked Mieville if anyone is looking for another series. He's not amazing, and he overused kinda big words (see if you can keep track of how many times puissance is used in book 2, holy gently caress.) But the books are decent enough, and some of his nonhumans have some neat ideas. At least, in the New Crobuzon books that I've read, and I'm just about to start book 3.
Gonna second that as a recommendation for anyone looking for more "fantasy with brains". A lot of his books are hit or miss but more often than not the result is really, really good.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Cardiac posted:

So I finished of FoD for the second time, in preparation for third reread of DoD and TCG and since I wanted more stuff on the Shake.

Who was the Azathanai Old Man?

Old Man Moon seems like the obvious answer. As I recall, his dialogue in BaB indicates that he is one of the oldest "gods" around.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Alright. I'm on chapter 18 of DG and feel like I'm on edge of the Erikson rollercoaster. Time to dive in and see what all this has lead me to.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Abalieno posted:

My biggest problem with the Acts of Caine is that there are only four books.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Poldarn posted:

My biggest problem with the Acts of Caine is that there are only four books.

Stover's fascination with feces is kind of a problem but other than that yeah, I'd second the recommendation there. It's not Erikson level good but it's pretty good and has some of the best written combat I've read.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since I'm currently drawing a blank I've questions on 2 characters who appear in the main series and if they appeared at all in FoD or they're as yet unexplained or I just forgot which is all possible. Have Fisher Kel Tath's and Edgewalker's identities been revealed? I've not read any of ICE's stuff if thats important

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god Sorry is normal again I did not see that coming and I feel so bad for her :smith:

...Actually she's taking this rather well

vvv Good point! Mea culpa :(

Rarity fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 20, 2015

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Rarity posted:

Oh god Sorry is normal again I did not see that coming and I feel so bad for her :smith:

...Actually she's taking this rather well

You should probably spoiler that!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Jose: the first one is the first one, it's just accomplished person not the focus. The second, no.

Rarity: how are you finding getting grips with the everything?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Jose posted:

Since I'm currently drawing a blank I've questions on 2 characters who appear in the main series and if they appeared at all in FoD or they're as yet unexplained or I just forgot which is all possible. Have Fisher Kel Tath's and Edgewalker's identities been revealed? I've not read any of ICE's stuff if thats important

Fisher Kel Tath's background is covered in Assail, since it's an ICE book I guess I could spoil it?

RE: above
Fisher Kel Tath's background is he's part Jaghut from the Assail continent, he left quite a while ago but returns to Assail in the book. Can't remember why!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Baudin posted:

Fisher Kel Tath's background is covered in Assail, since it's an ICE book I guess I could spoil it?

RE: above
Fisher Kel Tath's background is he's part Jaghut from the Assail continent, he left quite a while ago but returns to Assail in the book. Can't remember why!

Because Spite kicked his rear end to the curb and he got all mopey and homesick.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Jose posted:

And Edgewalker is some ancient king who tried to take over Kurald Emurlahn but he failed and it enslaved him. Basically a failed Shadowthrone.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm really not convinced of that. Reasonably the opposite would be my view but, frankly, I reckon Erikson will not (mebbe never) clear it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

And Edgewalker is some ancient king who tried to take over Kurald Emurlahn but he failed and it enslaved him. Basically a failed Shadowthrone.

I don't think that's actually the case, do you have a source for it?