Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I find it pretty hilarious how basically all the analysis tries to get around the fact that this is a show where lesbian sex giving you magical powers is something that happens in every episode so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Third World Reggin posted:

Such a weird sick show.

Hey look time to molest

Now see I appreciate this because you both are not flooding my screen with images and that first gif is actually good.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ikuhara did not create sailor moon, he adapted 3/5ths of the manga and also created a movie about how tuxedo mask met an alien boy when he was like 5 and the alien was gay and came back to earth in his 20s to take mamoru away with him and when it didnt work he resorted to trying to kill his girlfriend and kidnapping him.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

isnt the new sailor moon more faithful to the manga and it also sucks horribly?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

it is faithful in the sense that one of the producers decided they had to adapt one chapter to one episode period and there is no room to make any changes or additions except for one really stupid one, which is working out real well for a monthly manga that had chapter counts ranging from 40 to 120 and pacing all over the place and could really benefit from double the number of episodes so the parts that are lacking could be fleshed out.

basically the original anime started a month after the manga so there was a lot of pressure to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN every chapter so the anime could progress since there were 4 episodes coming out a month which means a 1:1 adaption is ocmpletely hosed.

ikuhara's contributions to the anime include making a bunch of gay villains and also making the lesbian good guys in the third arc pseudo-antagonists until the episode after the end of it. that isn't to say his directing is bad in fact its wonderful and probably a big part of the success of the original anime. the staff list for the original anime is crazy and a huge combination of toei talent that would later go on to become directors and series writers in their own right (the 3 series directors were junichi sato, ikuhara, and igarashi (doremi, star driver), enokido was also one of the main writers and this is where he and ikuhara probably decided to make their own magical girl thing and you got utena)

aers fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 21, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

isnt the new sailor moon more faithful to the manga and it also sucks horribly?
spoilers: the manga is kinda bad and the 90s anime improves on it in every way

my favorite part of the manga is how haruka and michiru are both noncharacters and also really awkwardly dance around lesbianism by having michiru go 'haruka is neither a man or a woman... but she's kind of a dude... but sort of a girl...' and then never having them show any real affection for each other onscreen

meanwhile in the 90s anime

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Effectronica posted:

I find it pretty hilarious how basically all the analysis tries to get around the fact that this is a show where lesbian sex giving you magical powers is something that happens in every episode so far.

That's something to get around? 'Lesbian sex is awesome, rapemurder is significantly less awesome' is a pretty good way to boil down this series's themes.

If you'll permit me to be a giant pedant, though, I don't remember the Yuri Approved stuff actually doing anything (let alone anything useful) until the latest episode. It mostly seemed to be the Court going 'fine, fine, you can keep mooning after this human girl, just remember to keep up your rapemurder quotas, ya hear?'

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Is this going to be another series where everyone is like "it isn't about incest" and then at the end they are all like "yah it was about incest"

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

That's something to get around? 'Lesbian sex is awesome, rapemurder is significantly less awesome' is a pretty good way to boil down this series's themes.

If you'll permit me to be a giant pedant, though, I don't remember the Yuri Approved stuff actually doing anything (let alone anything useful) until the latest episode. It mostly seemed to be the Court going 'fine, fine, you can keep mooning after this human girl, just remember to keep up your rapemurder quotas, ya hear?'

This guy right here is why I offer my services for free. It isn't work if the fish are just right there in the barrel as you are blasting them away.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its Ikuhara there's gonna be so much loving incest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Is this going to be another series where everyone is like "it isn't about incest" and then at the end they are all like "yah it was about incest"

I'm pretty sure more than half of the posters in the thread realize it's titty anime and some are trying to say it's not. I think the latter is massively incorrect, but hey everyone's got their opinions. As long as it doesn't get as bad as the KLK thread (Read: Some dude doing a run down of not sexy this scene is supposed to be and the severity of it), it's cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Drinkfist posted:

This guy right here is why I offer my services for free. It isn't work if the fish are just right there in the barrel as you are blasting them away.

You are really bad at blasting the fish, just fyi.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nanami was the best character in Utena and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!!

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Where is that No Game No Life thread. That was full of fun people with really bright concepts. A beacon of goon.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

Where is that No Game No Life thread. That was full of fun people with really bright concepts. A beacon of goon.

I'm pretty sure everyone in that thread took it for granted that this was 90% a T&A fanservice show so we didn't bother saying much about it after a few episodes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm pretty sure more than half of the posters in the thread realize it's titty anime and some are trying to say it's not. I think the latter is massively incorrect, but hey everyone's got their opinions. As long as it doesn't get as bad as the KLK thread (Read: Some dude doing a run down of not sexy this scene is supposed to be and the severity of it), it's cool.

I'd say it's a show about titty anime that also happens to include a hell of a lot of anime tits. The purpose of the anime tits is because (a) teenage lesbians make Ikuhara horny, and (b) he's an artist genuinely interested in how art works and what it has to say about society, and his preferred form of art to examine is lesbian titty anime (with the occasional gay dick anime thrown in for good measure) because teenage lesbians make him horny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a man who's honest with his feelings and I respect that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

my favorite part of the manga is how haruka and michiru are both noncharacters and also really awkwardly dance around lesbianism by having michiru go 'haruka is neither a man or a woman... but she's kind of a dude... but sort of a girl...' and then never having them show any real affection for each other onscreen

what translation did you read because they're pretty affectionate in their later appearances

and, uh, the manga's the only version where the villain attacks usagi in the nude and then talks about how her heart's aflutter at the prospect of ruling the galaxy together

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Effectronica posted:

what translation did you read because they're pretty affectionate in their later appearances
i only read up to the end of the sailor moon s stuff so i guess that's on me

either way i definitely liked the anime more, the characters felt more alive even outside of haruka/michiru.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Where are all the girls' faces? Someone needs to arrest the camera for chopping the heads off a bunch of kids and leaving these legs all over the place.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

i only read up to the end of the sailor moon s stuff so i guess that's on me

either way i definitely liked the anime more, the characters felt more alive even outside of haruka/michiru.

the anime is better for supporting characters (though naru shows up about as often in either after the first two arcs), but the manga definitely has better usagi/mamoru/chibiusa because it focuses on them more

aers
Feb 15, 2012

crystal is bad because they needed double the episodes per arc to flesh out all the characters that dont get time in the manga, the whole idea to do the manga's plotline without the changes the anime made (for various reasons, one major one was the manga simply wasnt written when they were plotting some of the anime) and actually adapt it would be fine.. but yeah idk. someone making dumb decisions somewhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

considering how bum a rep she got on the 90s anime, i wouldn't be surprised if takeuchi basically told them that they could either make a direct 1:1 copy/paste or they could gently caress off.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

considering how bum a rep she got on the 90s anime, i wouldn't be surprised if takeuchi basically told them that they could either make a direct 1:1 copy/paste or they could gently caress off.

Everything I've heard about her says that Takeuchi is more controlling than a dominatrix in a dungeon, and doesn't want anyone to mess around with her baby this time around. Which makes the continuance of Crystal a surprise to me considering the awful rear end art.

aers posted:

crystal is bad because they needed double the episodes per arc to flesh out all the characters that dont get time in the manga
I thought it was bad because the art is absolute garbage and made it unwatchable.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

aers posted:

crystal is bad because they needed double the episodes per arc to flesh out all the characters that dont get time in the manga, the whole idea to do the manga's plotline without the changes the anime made (for various reasons, one major one was the manga simply wasnt written when they were plotting some of the anime) and actually adapt it would be fine.. but yeah idk. someone making dumb decisions somewhere.

that and yume and stars were almost completely incompatible with the show's format even when they did get written

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beef Waifu posted:

Someday Japan is going to create the equivalent of Queens Blade meets Nietzsche and the SA posters are going to eat that poo poo up. All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not tits.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 21, 2015

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Another week, another 'the gently caress am I watching this for?'

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ranzear posted:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Ranzear posted:

I'm watching to find out where the hell this kangaroo court comes from. I mean, how do you even get a job deciding whether or not bears get to have lesbian sex/eat people? I would guess that they just picked random people off the street, but I think the reason that Sexy Blue is pissed all the time is because he has an actual law degree and he doesn't know how he started doing this poo poo.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

iunno man i thought manga haruka was neat because she was butch without being a 24/7 crossdresser like in the anime.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

As an artist who cares deeply about her creation this is an entirely understandable reaction. However, the original anime also made her one of the richest manga authors in the history of the medium so it's a bit much to say she got completely screwed over there.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Effectronica posted:

geicomi is what japanese people call comics about gay men that are aimed at gay men. plica and rica 'tte kanji! are autobiographical yuri series.

plica is cool, i rememer reading it a looooooooooong time ago and when i saw the art i remembered it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honey & Honey is a really good manga written by and about actual lesbians. Also Indigo Blue and anything else by the same author.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 21, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Honey & Honey is a really good manga written by and about actual lesbians. Also Indigo Blue and anything else by the same author.

Free Soul is really really good, by the Indigo blue lady.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

So when does the unapproved-by-men yuri start? Everyone knows that's the good stuff.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Kylra posted:

So when does the unapproved-by-men yuri start? Everyone knows that's the good stuff.

When the bear junta replaces the bear court with an all ladybear tribunal.

That might actually happen.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Takemiya Jin is an out lesbian who writes pretty good yuri stories too.

This show is boring me enough that I think I'm done with it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just noticed the fluers de lis imagery in the court heraldry, which just made me think how obvious some of the imagery really was during those scenes. The court itself is a giant fleur de lys, with the judge being the large leaf in the middle and the prosecutor/attorney are the side leaves, theres even the band in the middle. Ginko and Lulu always flanking each side of Kureha also makes me think of this. Kureha's rifle even has a similar symbol.

What I'm saying is, Kureha is Jesus and the bear attacks are her 40 days in the desert.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Praise be to YURIWEH, amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
And the tempter came and said to Kureha, "If you are the protagonist, command that these girls flirt with one another." But she answered and said, "It is written, 'Woman does not live by sexual tension alone, but by character development and plot.'"

• Locked thread