Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

When you think about it all western literature pre 1700 is just Bible fanfiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Poll: what is the name of the current trend in literary fiction? Post-Postmodernism?

It's naivete in this troper's opinion and I think it is coming from the united states, garbage literature capitol of the world.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

A lot of contemporary books have really naive protagonists whose world view is proven wrong or incomplete because it is largely black and white by some small event that they can not understand could happen to them. There is no reasoning behind why these bad things are happening to them like how 19th or 20th century protagonists would usually reason it out it just happens and they do not know why and so they mope and leak body fluids until they have some sort of revelation or come to peace with it and nothing ever really happens.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is interesting that you list art, culture, and society as important elements to analyze but don't mention people themselves. There is a value to a writer focusing on the human experience in itself, and I would argue it's the most important element of good fiction.

See, the problem is that the experience of the American human is worthless.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Stravinsky posted:

A lot of contemporary books have really naive protagonists whose world view is proven wrong or incomplete because it is largely black and white by some small event that they can not understand could happen to them. There is no reasoning behind why these bad things are happening to them like how 19th or 20th century protagonists would usually reason it out it just happens and they do not know why and so they mope and leak body fluids until they have some sort of revelation or come to peace with it and nothing ever really happens.

examples? I legitimately cannot think of anything off the top of my head that matches this description.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Stravinsky posted:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

examples? I legitimately cannot think of anything off the top of my head that matches this description.

i guess john banville writes like that but he's not american

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Everyone please stop talking about bad books, and talk about good books. Thank you.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
No books are good.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That's a common misconception. Actually, there are some good books.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mr. Squishy posted:

No books are good.

No, books are good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CestMoi posted:

Everyone please stop talking about bad books, and talk about good books. Thank you.

I'm about halfway through The Tin Drum now and so far it's a very good book. Much funnier than I thought it would be. I'm sure I'm missing a lot since I'm reading it in English though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

should I go with Name of the Rose or History of the Siege of Lisbon next, real lit thread?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Read Siege of Lisbon, and then tell me if I should read it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I've never read Eco, is he even worthwhile if I think Borges is garbage and am not a 16yo deeply impressed by a book mentioning Shah Babur?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

should I go with Name of the Rose or History of the Siege of Lisbon next, real lit thread?

The answer is always Saramago and then more Saramago

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Ras Het posted:

I've never read Eco, is he even worthwhile if I think Borges is garbage and am not a 16yo deeply impressed by a book mentioning Shah Babur?
no

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
All this discussion of American literature has made me realize that every idea I've had for a story and never written is exactly "Man has epiphany about lonliness"

Welp. Saved myself some time then.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

UnoriginalMind posted:

All this discussion of American literature has made me realize that every idea I've had for a story and never written is exactly "Man has epiphany about lonliness"

Make it "Spaceship has epiphany about loneliness" instead and you'll get goon support and ebook publishing deal within 2 weeks

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Someone rewrote Conrad's The Secret Sharer to be set in space and I should get around to checking it out one of these days.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Mr. Squishy posted:

Someone rewrote Conrad's The Secret Sharer to be set in space and I should get around to checking it out one of these days.

We should really just do Heart of Darkness in space. Apocalypse Now 2: The Revenge: In Space

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think that was Alien.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think that was Alien.

No that was "I'm afraid of pregnancy: the movie"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Interstellar was To the Lighthouse In Spaaace

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UnoriginalMind posted:

You think you would have known this already, UnoriginalMind.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I just got done reading Binary Star by Sarah Gerard and holy poo poo its really, really good. I picked it up because I liked the cover and it had reviews from writers I like, but I was kind of worried because the back cover synopsis makes it sound really hoaky.

Its one of the best written books in a long time for me, just simply beautiful awesome prose.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mallamp posted:

Make it "Spaceship has epiphany about loneliness" instead and you'll get goon support and ebook publishing deal within 2 weeks

That's just Plus by Joseph McElroy

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Does anyone know a word for vagina that has something to do with fortifications? i need to know, Tristram Shandy won't tell me what the word he is alluding to is.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Tristram Shandy is literally overflowing with weird euphemisms. The whole thing with his nose getting smashed while he's being delivered is one giant dick joke.

I'm trying to remember something to do with fortifications - I'm guessing that's Uncle Toby? Off the top of my head, he says "hobby horse" a bunch, which was slang for prostitute. There's a joke about a "siege" being anal.

You might be talking about the part where Toby and the corporal are talking about trenches, which is meant to be not-so-subtly talking about vaginas. I think there a few other places where he just casually mentions canals and mounds, too.

In undergrad we read an essay about sexuality in Tristram Shandy, I'll see if I can find the source. I remember it arguing that Sterne actually uses indentation and the book's gutter in the trench scene to basically draw a crude vagina on the page, though I don't know how much of that argument was just reading too deeply into it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of an English professor who ~blew our minds~ when he said the greatest racial tension in Heart of Darkness could be said to be the black words on the white page.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Tristram Shandy is literally overflowing with weird euphemisms. The whole thing with his nose getting smashed while he's being delivered is one giant dick joke.

I'm trying to remember something to do with fortifications - I'm guessing that's Uncle Toby? Off the top of my head, he says "hobby horse" a bunch, which was slang for prostitute. There's a joke about a "siege" being anal.

You might be talking about the part where Toby and the corporal are talking about trenches, which is meant to be not-so-subtly talking about vaginas. I think there a few other places where he just casually mentions canals and mounds, too.

In undergrad we read an essay about sexuality in Tristram Shandy, I'll see if I can find the source. I remember it arguing that Sterne actually uses indentation and the book's gutter in the trench scene to basically draw a crude vagina on the page, though I don't know how much of that argument was just reading too deeply into it.

Nah Uncle Toby says something about Tristrams mum not wanting a male midwife because she doesn't want anyone to see her **** at which point Tristram's dad snaps his pipe and ends the conversation and Tristram goes on this big thing about how not having the word said is more inherently funny than saying the word and he's trying to guess what word Toby might've said, if he hadn't been cut off. I think I read it wrong and he actually was guessing words like "backside" and "covered way" and decided covered way would be most likely, on account of Toby's dick being crushed by falling masonry.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there a single male character in that book whose genitals aren't mutilated?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

CestMoi posted:

Nah Uncle Toby says something about Tristrams mum not wanting a male midwife because she doesn't want anyone to see her **** at which point Tristram's dad snaps his pipe and ends the conversation and Tristram goes on this big thing about how not having the word said is more inherently funny than saying the word and he's trying to guess what word Toby might've said, if he hadn't been cut off. I think I read it wrong and he actually was guessing words like "backside" and "covered way" and decided covered way would be most likely, on account of Toby's dick being crushed by falling masonry.

Hurr hurr, "cut off".

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Sterne personally oversaw the publication of each volume, it's very likely he had control over how each page looked. It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Dude was a horny priest.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Has someone talked about William Hope Hodgson yet? I really loved his book "The Night Land". It was the right kind of weird and is certainly a work of art: Real literature.

It reminded me of the sometimes impenetrable writing of Mervyn Peake. (I gotta admit, I'm still stuck on the second book of his famous trilogy. I know, I know. It's shameful.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

It reminded me of the sometimes impenetrable writing of Mervyn Peake. (I gotta admit, I'm still stuck on the second book of his famous trilogy. I know, I know. It's shameful.)
You're... not missing that much, the third book isn't that good.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

ulvir posted:

I think Foucaults Pendulum is the best Eco book if you want to check him out.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Thomas Bernhard's books are supposed to be funny, right? Some guy I was talking to said he didn't like his stuff because it was too depressing. Then he looked at me really weirdly when I said I thought that's why they're funny.

Who else is similar to Bernhard? I like books that are just one long insane rant with no punctuation.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

You're... not missing that much, the third book isn't that good.

Yeah, that kind of happens if you want to write six books and plan for it, then die while writing the third one. Then someone else has to take what was written and some notes and somehow construct a book with a sensible ending out of it. Makes me wish Peake could have had someone to finish the series, like Robert Jordan had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that kind of happens if you want to write six books and plan for it, then die while writing the third one. Then someone else has to take what was written and some notes and somehow construct a book with a sensible ending out of it. Makes me wish Peake could have had someone to finish the series, like Robert Jordan had.

Maeve Peake wrote another one which was published a year or so back, the title was Titus something.