Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bubble-T posted:

The funniest thing about DoW is unless you're playing the co-op variant it's not actually a co-op. It's not a team game or a 1vX game either, it's a straight up free-for-all due to the secret objectives.

There's a thread on the BGG forums from a guy asking whether his group should be mad at him that he finished the Main Objective off because he'd completed his Secret Objective, while the other players hadn't. Nobody was a betrayer and yet according to the rules the game ends immediately and he's the only winner. Apparently the correct response to one person helping with the Main Objective is for everyone else to be suspicious that they've finished their Secret Objective and consider tanking the game for a bit until they can complete their own Secret Objective :psyduck:

I've only played once, and with a stupidly easy secret objective at that, so I don't really know how I feel about the game, but that doesn't sound wrong. In the game I played, in the last round, we exiled someone just to make sure we could pass the crisis, and complete the main objective.

By the way, my secret objective was to exile a betrayer if there was one. So, it's pretty much a coin flip whether I'd have to do anything at all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Betrayal and DoW are both complete bullshit, but at least Betrayal is honest about it. DoW insists on pretending to be a legitimate game.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Dead of Winter is probably this generation's Betrayal in that the objectives are meaningless and someone is going to win at the end just because, but it's "thematic." Whether this is your equation for fun is up to you and your group. I would probably rather use The Resistance as a stepping stone to BSG, or just go straight to The Resistance since it takes the distills my favorite part of BSG.

I feel like the less abstract a game gets the murkier the victory goal seems to be. Something like chess has a clear goal in mind so every little decision can be categorized as good or bad strategically. Likewise something relying on victory points like worker placements or deck-builders gives every player a feel for the tempo of the game. Someone can be ahead and consistently gaining VP each turn but maybe someone is investing his turns on a strategy that will give him loads of VP later.

Thematic games, especially those with traitor mechanics like Dead of Winter, don't work as well because no one has any motivation for their goals from turn 1. Sure it might simulate having non-evil but still selfish people in your group, but with death being so frequent and not having that much of a consequence (just draw another character), there's zero motivation to go for your personal goal. How does completing your personal goal let you win more than any other member of your group, if there are multiple people who completed their personal goals and those who haven't, who wins? Regardless of what the rulebooks say I feel like any victory in Dead of Winter feels hollow, except maybe when you're a really good traitor.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jmzero posted:

Magic Talk
The card pool isn't really good enough to support interesting multiplayer play; I wouldn't buy this if that's what you're after. It's a single player campaign.

If that's what you're after then don't buy Duel of the Planeswalkers at all. Play with Magic: Forge (now with Android support!). It has more features than I could list; it supports every card and format in Magic imaginable with all sorts of AIs. The only thing it doesn't do is online Multiplayer (because the program is seriously better than Magic Online and would destroy it immediately so they fear WotC wrath):

http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bubble-T posted:

The funniest thing about DoW is unless you're playing the co-op variant it's not actually a co-op. It's not a team game or a 1vX game either, it's a straight up free-for-all due to the secret objectives.

There's a thread on the BGG forums from a guy asking whether his group should be mad at him that he finished the Main Objective off because he'd completed his Secret Objective, while the other players hadn't. Nobody was a betrayer and yet according to the rules the game ends immediately and he's the only winner. Apparently the correct response to one person helping with the Main Objective is for everyone else to be suspicious that they've finished their Secret Objective and consider tanking the game for a bit until they can complete their own Secret Objective :psyduck:

When I played Dead of Winter, I didn't contribute to the Main Objective even though I was "good" since I wanted to wait until my Secret was fulfilled so I could win and all. Naturally, everyone assumed I was the traitor because of this and exiled me. Then I turned into the traitor, lucked into a new secret objective that I was completing by a large margin, and just shut the game out at that point.

There's a few issues with that game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

A Jupiter posted:

Thematic games, especially those with traitor mechanics like Dead of Winter, don't work as well because no one has any motivation for their goals from turn 1. Sure it might simulate having non-evil but still selfish people in your group, but with death being so frequent and not having that much of a consequence (just draw another character), there's zero motivation to go for your personal goal. How does completing your personal goal let you win more than any other member of your group, if there are multiple people who completed their personal goals and those who haven't, who wins? Regardless of what the rulebooks say I feel like any victory in Dead of Winter feels hollow, except maybe when you're a really good traitor.

Yeah, this is basically how I ended up feeling about Dead of Winter. Feeling like a really good traitor rarely comes up though because torpedoing a game at the last second as a traitor is both extremely easy, virtually unstoppable and almost certainly better than the alternative of bluffing like mad.

those win conditions are hosed and need substantial rehauling for the game to even make sense to me, much less be good. As it stands the game really just fails to compute with me, victory is meaningless why even play game boop no cannot deal

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 21, 2015

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
For every problem Dead of Winter gets shat on for here, Archipelago has sidestepped wonderfully. Except Archipelago hamfistedly stereotypes and fantasizes colonialism--or at least is really, really crass about it.

Basically Archipelago needs to be reskinned with zombies (each player is managing a survivor camp and trying to keep the contagion level down while exploring new areas to find survivor camps blah blah blah) and all the nerds would be happy. Either that or the Worst Game would be created....

Seriously though if you can acknowledge the rather ludicrous colonialism in Archipelago it's everything a semi-cooperative game should be.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Trynant posted:

Seriously though if you can acknowledge the rather ludicrous colonialism in Archipelago it's everything a semi-cooperative game should be.

I just let that kind of stuff slide because it makes me tired and sad to think about it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
We need a term like "Uncanny Valley" for that point Archipelago sits on where you can't tell if it's brave for dealing with the racism behind its theme overtly, or awful for being so racist about it.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
In arcapelago when people stop being unemployed they stop being native become white people. A friend of mine suggested to make stickers that replaced the employed person with a native person in a European hat and a rioting person with an angry white guy. I mean presumably unemployed, employed and separatists would be a mix of all the races in the area. There is no reason to have made white people the best, natives middling and separatists the darkest skinned natives.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Congo Free State Simulator 2013

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is there a game that does what Diplomacy does but without all the bullshit? I've heard a lot about diplomacy, I've never played it myself but it just seems kind of dated and bloated with mechanics that are sort of periphery to the part of it that is actually fun. Also with a long play time and high player count it seems difficult to even get people to play it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MildManeredManikin posted:

Is there a game that does what Diplomacy does but without all the bullshit? I've heard a lot about diplomacy, I've never played it myself but it just seems kind of dated and bloated with mechanics that are sort of periphery to the part of it that is actually fun. Also with a long play time and high player count it seems difficult to even get people to play it.

I've never played it, but Game of Thrones maybe, which I think is best with...5? Also maybe is Fief, but I think Fief is optimized for 6.

Edit: Now that I think about it your best bet is to just sever with your friends now.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Given that Diplomacy is a pretty stripped down game to begin with, I'm having trouble picturing what you're after...

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

GrandpaPants posted:

I've never played it, but Game of Thrones maybe, which I think is best with...5? Also maybe is Fief, but I think Fief is optimized for 6.

GoT is Diplomacy with extra stuff!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Uh, what? Diplomacy barely has any mechanics at all.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Trynant posted:

Republic of Rome is still better.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Diplomacy has very few mechanics, and those it does have (simultaneous orders and no doomstacks) are critical to the "part of it that is actually fun".

Game of Thrones is similar and takes fewer players and has a shorter playtime, but in true FFG style it's bloated with the periphery mechanics you're trying to avoid.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
This weeks Humble Bundle is a bunch of card games: https://www.humblebundle.com

Includes Scrolls, Star Realms, Dominion, and Magic 2015

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Played Stone Age for the first time in forver, and it's still a really good game. I'm glad it was on TableTop as I always thought it was one the better games to use as an intro to modern board gaming. It's experiences segue into Castles of Burgundy or Agricola really well.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

That was put out by Fantasy Flight right? How in the hell can they have the perfect rulebook with what is basically Talisman but have issues explaining poo poo correctly in what is basically Descent (Imperial Assault)?

Despite the kind of lovely rules explanations Imperial Assault is a great game that everybody should go play

Talisman is a Games Workshop game that Fantasy Flight licensed and updated. Imperial Assault is a Fantasy Flight game.

Or at least, I suspect that's the difference. But even if the Talisman rulebook isn't just an updated version of the one from previous editions (I don't think I've ever read them, actually.), it'd be the exception, not the rule. Fantasy Flight is terrible at rulebooks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

malkav11 posted:

Fantasy Flight is terrible at rulebooks.

Was. I haven't heard anyone complain about Eldritch Horror's rulebooks or any of the LCGs (the LCGs have issues with FAQs and specific card rulings that make it incredibly difficult to take the competitive scene seriously, but I digress). The LCGs may have issues with timing windows, but they have helpful diagrams at least.

Was there an FFG game that had a bad rulebook and wasn't a Kevin Wilson game?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Was. I haven't heard anyone complain about Eldritch Horror's rulebooks or any of the LCGs (the LCGs have issues with FAQs and specific card rulings that make it incredibly difficult to take the competitive scene seriously, but I digress). The LCGs may have issues with timing windows, but they have helpful diagrams at least.

Was there an FFG game that had a bad rulebook and wasn't a Kevin Wilson game?

Eldritch Horror's rulebook is a better reference than some, but wasn't great for learning the game. It's not a trainwreck like Arkham, granted. And Mansions of Madness' rulebook is awful and that's by Corey Konieczka. Descent 2e, also.

I dunno, they may not all be awful. But most of the ones I have direct experience with have been.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Diplomacy has very few mechanics, and those it does have (simultaneous orders and no doomstacks) are critical to the "part of it that is actually fun".

Ah, my mistake. I didn't look at it very extensively. The play time is still less than ideal but I otherwise stand corrected.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Ah, my mistake. I didn't look at it very extensively. The play time is still less than ideal but I otherwise stand corrected.

Use playdiplomacy.com and get your friends online if play time bothers you. Diplomacy is a legit good game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, funny story. I was clicking around looking at solo games on BGG (because that is what I do with my free time), and I stumbled upon Tower of the Dread Mage, a pen-and-paper micro-RPG, played with a pencil on graph paper. Its rather luck-based, as you might expect from a game that small, and doesn't have much tactical depth at all. Still. the retro design charmed me, and I gave it a couple plays. Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at when it was first made, suspecting it'd be late-70s, early 80s.

And my first thought was "I could do this better than that". Knowing that I wouldn't be able to do much with one page, either, I instead opted to double my design space. Two pages of rules, two pages of tables. Still played with a pencil, graph paper, and two six-sided dice. And twenty-four hours later, I have a first draft of this horrible, horrible game that's probably barely any better at all than the inspiration, and is in desperate need of playtesting, and getting torn to shreds by people with better game design sensibilities than I.

Without further do, The Labyrinth of S'xsyde.

Edit Version 1.02 is live! Major tweaks to chest and treasure tables, a small buff to armor rules, S'xsyde herself got a major nerf, and I fixed some formatting.

Legacy Versions
v1.01
v1.00

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 27, 2018

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
How is Dungeon Bazar? My primary gaming group consists of myself, who tends to enjoy "multiplayer solitaire" games with limited competition, a friend of mine who gets pretty AP prone, his wife who enjoys relatively light and short games (~1 hour or so, maybe 90 minutes at most, and yes, this gets problematic when combined with her husband's long turns) and really likes mechanics that let her attack other players, and a variety of other players of varying interests.

Probably our favorite game thus far has been 7 Wonders - we've played that game at least forty times and always had fun with it. We've also had success with games like Bang Dice and King of Tokyo, since they're really quick and can be a lot of fun with the right company. Games like Galaxy Truckers were received very poorly, and Dungeon Lords was something we played once. Caverna, sadly, hasn't ever hit the table with them (played it with other people though). Quarriors was received somewhat well, and their favorite game outside of Seven wonders is, sadly, DC Deckbuilder.

I'm also planning on getting Roll for the Galaxy because I adore Race for the Galaxy and I feel like it'd be easier to get to the table.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If anyone was in to Ascension, but sperged out about THE ART, there was a 3rd edition reprint of the base set with the new art and frames (old card for reference):

They've stuck with the Sabee "sketched" style in the newest set, just like the Apprentice Edition, I guess every set is going to get the treatment it seems. There are a few cards (Wolf Shaman, Spike Vixen) which have been reprinted in Realms Unravelled, so it seems they're doing the MTG thing where they'll reprint and change the art. It's nice though because it makes the newer sets work way better as a standalone set--Realms Unravelled is probably "the" set to buy now if you're looking to break into the game.

Note the card backs logo is lighter (same as the Apprentice Edition and Realms Unravelled--looks like they're doing it with all the new sets now), so you'll have to sleeve them if you want to mix-and-match.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, funny story. I was clicking around looking at solo games on BGG (because that is what I do with my free time), and I stumbled upon Tower of the Dread Mage, a pen-and-paper micro-RPG, played with a pencil on graph paper. Its rather luck-based, as you might expect from a game that small, and doesn't have much tactical depth at all. Still. the retro design charmed me, and I gave it a couple plays. Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at when it was first made, suspecting it'd be late-70s, early 80s.

And my first thought was "I could do this better than that". Knowing that I wouldn't be able to do much with one page, either, I instead opted to double my design space. Two pages of rules, two pages of tables. Still played with a pencil, graph paper, and two six-sided dice. And twenty-four hours later, I have a first draft of this horrible, horrible game that's probably barely any better at all than the inspiration, and is in desperate need of playtesting, and getting torn to shreds by people with better game design sensibilities than I.

Without further do, The Labyrinth of S'xsyde.

:eyepop:
I love poo poo like this! I have like 50 of these micro-game one sheet games that I have culled from BGG and print out when I'm particularly bored. One suggestion; you should make this into a Pocket Mod. All the best micro games are hip Pocket Mods these days:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GrandpaPants posted:

Was. I haven't heard anyone complain about Eldritch Horror's rulebooks

Last weekend, we tried out Eldritch Horror for the first time. Unlike Arkham Horror, weapons don't have hand icons on them anymore, so at one point we wanted to know if we could use multiple weapons in the same combat, since nothing on the card text indicated that you couldn't fire five guns at once.

The rulebook was completely silent on the subject - we combed through the whole thing and couldn't find even one mention of the word "weapon".

The Reference Guide seemed to provide an answer:

quote:

> Traits can be identified by their formatting: bold, italic, and small
caps (for example “Weapon”).
> Traits have no inherent effects of their own.

That seems fairly conclusive. Weapon is a trait; traits have no inherent effects of their own; therefore you can use five weapons at once, just like you can use a weapon and another equipment at the same time.

It's not until you dig through the FAQ section at the back of the reference guide that you find the true answer:

quote:

Q. Can I use multiple weapons during combat?
A. Yes, but you can only apply the highest bonus to a test. However,
you may use any other effects, from your other weapons. For example,
if you have a Bull Whip Asset and a .45 Automatic Asset, you may
apply the +3 bonus from the .45 to your [BE THE HULK] instead of the +1 bonus
from the whip, and you may still reroll one die by using the whip’s
other effect.

This question is guaranteed to come up in your first game, yet they decided to not answer it in the rulebook and to answer it incorrectly in the reference guide. Maybe the question wouldn't be asked so frequently if you had bothered to answer it properly in the actual rules in the first place?

Also the game was bad.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This question is guaranteed to come up in your first game, yet they decided to not answer it in the rulebook and to answer it incorrectly in the reference guide. Maybe the question wouldn't be asked so frequently if you had bothered to answer it properly in the actual rules in the first place?

It's on pg. 12 of the Rulebook, under the section "Tests." Exact same rule, too.

quote:

An investigator can use only one card effect that provides a skill bonus during each test (for example, an Asset that reads “Gain +1 [Lore]”). If he has multiple card effects that provide a bonus, he uses the highest bonus.

If bad rulebook means shaming people for their illiteracy and lack of reading comprehension, then yeah Eldritch Horror has a terrible rulebook.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'm looking for a recommendation for a board game that's relatively easy to pick-up and play, along the lines of Talisman - I know that Talisman isn't a good game per se, but it's easy to play which is a big win for my wife / friends who like the whole idea they're going on and adventure without it being overly serious, and having enough randomness (in other words 'lack of skill') that make it so really anyone can win despite not necessarily making the correct decisions.

Basically, other than Scrabble or Cribbage, Talisman is the only game I've been able to convince my wife and friends to play, so I'm looking for something similar but new/different as I'm at the stage where I've memorised every card from Talisman.

Happy for it to either be a competitive or cooperative game, but it needs to be something that we can leave and come back to as we don't normally have long stretches to play.

Thanks!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GrandpaPants posted:

It's on pg. 12 of the Rulebook, under the section "Tests." Exact same rule, too.

If bad rulebook means shaming people for their illiteracy and lack of reading comprehension, then yeah Eldritch Horror has a terrible rulebook.

Dammit, we were looking for something specific to weapons. Stacking bonuses never came up anywhere else.

Most of the time we were stacking penalties instead. Congratulations, you are cursed and detained! Again! Want to take out a loan? You can't because you're too busy being dead, someone else's card just instantly devoured you.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Dammit, we were looking for something specific to weapons. Stacking bonuses never came up anywhere else.

Most of the time we were stacking penalties instead. Congratulations, you are cursed and detained! Again! Want to take out a loan? You can't because you're too busy being dead, someone else's card just instantly devoured you.

Interestingly, I can't think of an instance where you can get a -X penalty to a skill in Eldritch Horror. And Dark Pacts aren't TOO bad...

But the fact that it does the "just use the highest bonus" thing instead of Arkham Horror's clunky "two hands!" approach is one of those quality of life things that I appreciate in the game. If it does nothing for you then it does nothing for you, but I think it's one of the better adventure type games out there that isn't named Mage Knight.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

GrandpaPants posted:

Interestingly, I can't think of an instance where you can get a -X penalty to a skill in Eldritch Horror. And Dark Pacts aren't TOO bad...

But the fact that it does the "just use the highest bonus" thing instead of Arkham Horror's clunky "two hands!" approach is one of those quality of life things that I appreciate in the game. If it does nothing for you then it does nothing for you, but I think it's one of the better adventure type games out there that isn't named Mage Knight.

It's mostly spells where you roll at Lore-1 or -2, from my limited experience.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

PotatoManJack posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a board game that's relatively easy to pick-up and play, along the lines of Talisman - I know that Talisman isn't a good game per se, but it's easy to play which is a big win for my wife / friends who like the whole idea they're going on and adventure without it being overly serious, and having enough randomness (in other words 'lack of skill') that make it so really anyone can win despite not necessarily making the correct decisions.

Basically, other than Scrabble or Cribbage, Talisman is the only game I've been able to convince my wife and friends to play, so I'm looking for something similar but new/different as I'm at the stage where I've memorised every card from Talisman.

Happy for it to either be a competitive or cooperative game, but it needs to be something that we can leave and come back to as we don't normally have long stretches to play.

Thanks!

I'm going to direct you to Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's more of a story generator than a "real" game and trying to win is a fool's endeavor. I don't know how much of a "real" game you're looking for as it seems like your group is looking more for a casual chill-out session.

If you're looking for something meatier, check the OP. Do note that this thread has more of a strategic/Euro bent in general.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GrandpaPants posted:

And Dark Pacts aren't TOO bad...

Maybe not for the person who has them. For the player across the table who gets chosen to be eaten because they've been too busy getting cursed to collect any items, it's not very fun.

GrandpaPants posted:

In our case after the first hour or two the game reached a state where we definitely would not win, but the game wouldn't actually make us lose for another six hours.

We had a mythos card say that we couldn't Rest until another reckoning happened, which wasn't until five game rounds later. Because apparently for the next several weeks we were too nervous to rest because someone was standing outside our hotel window at all times. Even though we were in seven different places. Including Antarctica. At any given time at least two people were delayed, at least two were cursed, and at least two were detained. Our spend-sanity-to-cast caster might have been able to do something about the curses, except they couldn't regain sanity ever, and the lack of reckonings also meant the curses never went away on their own. The game seems to expect you to spiral up by getting improvements that make you better at things to get even more stuff, but we mostly spiraled down by getting negative conditions to make us worse at things so we failed even more the next turn. But even though we obviously weren't going to win, the game wouldn't actually end.

It was definitely a better game, or more of a game, than the mess that is Arkham, but that's about as faint as praise gets.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 21, 2015

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

I'm going to direct you to Tales of the Arabian Nights. It's more of a story generator than a "real" game and trying to win is a fool's endeavor. I don't know how much of a "real" game you're looking for as it seems like your group is looking more for a casual chill-out session.

If you're looking for something meatier, check the OP. Do note that this thread has more of a strategic/Euro bent in general.

Thanks, just checked out Tales of the Arabian Nights on boardgamegeek and it looks exactly like what I'm looking for.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I already own and enjoy Caverna. Is there any reason to get Tzolkin, and if so, is the expansion mandatory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just updated S'xsyde to version 1.01... because I did something really stupid. :doh:

Specifically, I forgot to factor bell curves into how I laid out the treasure tables. :downs: