Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought he had a pal on Cloud City who was half-droid.

Lobot? Dude's like a space butler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Lobot is the guy who actually runs cloud city day to day, literally in some ways thanks to the head computer. Lando just makes general policy decisions and shows up at all the formal events and parties.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
The more I watch the show, the more I get the feeling they desperately need to upgrade Kanan's (and to a lesser extent Ezra's) facial model for season two. Zeb and Hera especially are so expressive, and the Lando design in the latest episode just hammered home the fact that Kanan's face looks like a featureless wax mask.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Dave Syndrome posted:

When they met the other ship, my first thought was "The top half looks a bit like Jabba's sail barge. Cool, it's a Hutt ship! I wonder what the Hutts look like in this show..."

Was it not the same type (or the actual ship possibly) as Lando's Lady Luck?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I noticed the resemblance too, but the rear quarter is very different.

Also, Jedi Outcast owned.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Definitely not the same type. Even though the general shape is similar, I still feel the Sail Barge vibe.

Though not as much as the Hutt ship in the new Marvel comic, which takes a far less visually subtle route.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 16, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It kind of looks like they Kitbashed the Imperial Gozanti (or maybe the original Gozanti) into that thing by adding extra engines and bulking out the forward half.

[edit] Yeah, looking at it again, that is definitely a non-imperial Gozanti with a bigger forward structure stuck on. You can still see the "cheeks" of the Gozanti clipping out of the more curving surface, and the Gozanti's chin is visible underneath it too. Tail structure with the engine in it is identical. They just add a top fin with an engine and double the engines on the wings. Its also got the same two little stubby "fins" on the spine of the ship.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 16, 2015

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Dave Syndrome posted:

Definitely not the same type. Even though the general shape is similar, I still feel the Sail Barge vibe.

Though not as much as the Hutt ship in the new Marvel comic, which takes a far less visually subtle route.

Ah ok. Thanks. I only watched it the one time and I thought it looked pretty close but wasn't sure and it was off of my DVR. That definitely gives off a sail barge vibe especially with the old Jabba look used.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't know how it happened, but I started out absolutely hating Chopper and now he's my favorite character.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
The Lando episode made me realize that I've evidently been mis-reading/mis-pronouncing "sabacc" for years. :psyduck:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I haven't seen it yet - I've always assumed "sah-bock", no?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I see a lot of people that say it "Sab-batch"

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

feedmyleg posted:

I haven't seen it yet - I've always assumed "sah-bock", no?

Yeah, that's how they said it on the show. In my mind, I had always read/said it as "sabback", kind of all together instead of such an emphasis on the second syllable. And the second syllable sounding like "back" instead of "Bach".

I remember the "Pal-puh-TYNE" vs "Pal-puh-TEEN" debate prior to it becoming official in The Phantom Menace, not to mention Vader's flagship Executor being "ig-zek-yuh-ter" vs "ek-si-kyoo-ter".

Of course, they couldn't even get pronounciations consistent in the movies. "Lee-ah" vs "Lay-ah" and "Haan" vs "Hahn".

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Stir Wurs

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

who are mistaken.

Star Tracks. :techno: :riker: :ughh:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Sith Happens posted:

Of course, they couldn't even get pronounciations consistent in the movies. "Lee-ah" vs "Lay-ah" and "Haan" vs "Hahn".

To be fair, its not as if pronunciation is always consistent in real life. On the other hand, you often had even the same individual saying it multiple ways, so...

No new episode till next week online though, hope they get back to a regular airing order soon enough. Looks like we might be confronting the issue of the wayward Senator, based on the usual Rebel Recon clip.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Hera rules.

E: and so does chopper

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 20, 2015

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

No new episode till next week online though, hope they get back to a regular airing order soon enough.

Going by this rumored schedule of episodes, we are looking at, at the very least, one more staggered airing through the rest of the season (there are 2 more episodes past the ones listed here):

quote:

Monday, February 2 – 9:00 – Episode 112 – “Vision of Hope”
Monday, February 9 – 9:00 – Episode 113 – “Call to Action”
Monday, February 23 – 9:00 – Episode 114 – “Rebel Resolve”

Fetus Tree posted:

What's the reason for staggering?

Not really sure myself, but DisneyXD is fairly notorious for doing it to all of their new shows; I mean, just look at the air dates for Gravity Falls' first season. :stare:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 20, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What's the reason for staggering?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

Hera rules.

I like that she's a strong female character who is both rational and doesn't try too hard to play a central role in everything (unlike Padme, who had to play the heroine every other episode).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's a bit hypocritical and contradictory but I like that she and Kanan have a relationship that isn't the central defining point of either of their characters, but I do wish they were a bit more blatant about it at some point - mostly because I'm not sure if they're actually dating or not despite the fact that they treat each other as lovers in the way they interact, both for the good and bad, and Hera normally refers to him as "love". Their relationship, presuming they have one, is pretty adult as well, in that they do actually talk to each other like a pair of equals well used to each other's presence, instead of bickering like kids or something, which is nice.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

She's definitely the mom of this crew :v: and she seems quite fine with that because it gets poo poo done and when she puts her foot down everyone on the Ghost knows that poo poo is hosed

e: just think of her and Kanaan's relationship like Enzo and AndrAIa's in ReBoot, complete with AndrAI calling Enzo "lover" just as Hera calls Kanaan "love"

Aces High fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 20, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I did not get the impression they were involved at all

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They're definitely a romantic couple, but they may not be physically involved, at least not at present.

In the A New Dawn novel, set 4-5 years before Rebels, which details how they met, Kanan is instantly smitten by her and basically gives up his whole itinerant lifestyle and philosophy of not drawing attention to himself. He even risks exposing himself as a Jedi exile to save her.

He definitely wants to be with her and she knows it. However, while she grows attached to him as well, at the end of the novel she tells him she is more interested in making a difference against the empire than a relationship.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah i guess leave it to goons to say one guy pining after a chick who just want to be friends is a romantic relationship

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I've never gotten the feeling that they are a couple in all the released episodes

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah i guess leave it to goons to say one guy pining after a chick who just want to be friends is a romantic relationship

If she just wants to be friends constantly calling him love is probably not the most intelligent thing to be doing. And yea, they bicker regularly but have an instant trust and level of comfort between each other that none of the rest of the cast have with each other so I would hope it's understandable that someone could think there may actually be a relationship there based on how they treat each other. Especially when there's no evidence in show that he wants a relationship and she doesn't.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know how it happened, but I started out absolutely hating Chopper and now he's my favorite character.

Chopper's "being a dick" superpower is definitely the main draw right now.

I sometimes with they'd dial down the puppeteering--it feels like every character gesticulates vigorously enough to be a silent movie actor.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

tsob posted:

If she just wants to be friends constantly calling him love is probably not the most intelligent thing to be doing.

You know in many parts of the world calling someone 'love' is just a polite way of talking to someone. There doesn't need to be any remotely romantic implication to it. In england for example it is extremely common to say in casual conversation. Using this language means absolutely nothing.

I've not noticed any romantic implications between the two of them in the slightest in the tv show. They just seem to know each other very well and trust each other. This seems to be pretty hilariously bad over reading of the characters. You can be comfortable and friendly around people of the opposite sex without any kind of romanticism about it.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 20, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
You can be, but people normally aren't in fiction - especially fiction for kids. Especially especially not people who use the word love to each other. And yes, I realize it's a rather general term of endearment in reality, but when she only uses it for him and not for any other character that I recall on top of the way their relationship is portrayed I think there's a chance they may be in a relationship. Note I never said they definitely were, only that I thought they may be given the level of trust they have with each other compared to the rest of the crew. And I never said that using it in and of itself is bad, only that if someone has said they want a relationship with you, using that particular endearment might not be the best idea given that it could send mixed signals.

I'm honestly kind of shocked people are acting like it's strange just to suggest they may have a relationship based on the way they act around each other, but also tired of defending myself because of it, so gently caress it, let the normal "goons are lovely people" posts commence until someone changes the subject.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

kingcom posted:

You know in many parts of the world calling someone 'love' is just a polite way of talking to someone. There doesn't need to be any remotely romantic implication to it. In england for example it is extremely common to say in casual conversation. Using this language means absolutely nothing.

Mind you, as an American show coming from American writers (and particularly as Hera isn't sporting the standard cockney accent that people might be familiar hearing it in), I can see how some might see it that way. Plus, you know, people's different standards and such - it baffles people how characters can be so affectionate in Tolkien literature without it being romantic.

Personally I'd say its a bit ambiguous at the moment, probably leaning more on 'very close friends' - ie, the writers don't have them actively in a relationship, but easily could for a story later on. They've spent the better part of five years together, so even if they're not a couple, more than enough time for them more than comfortable enough for something as small as pet terms. On the matter brought up of how Kanan reacted in the New Dawn novel, that could be easily understood as him deciding to do the reasonable thing and wait for the relationship to naturally lead that way. Knowing Hera, its possible that the one thing she truly 'loves' in her mind is the Rebel cause, which combined with caring for the crew in general, could just make any particular romantic notion go over her head.

...Now this makes me want to see either Hera or Kanan sit down to talk to Ezra on how he's trying more than a tad too hard to win Sabine's affections.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

...Now this makes me want to see either Hera or Kanan sit down to talk to Ezra on how he's trying more than a tad too hard to win Sabine's affections.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the way each of the characters interact with Ezra and his interactions with them is about all the vices that a jedi needs to let go of and hes been working to get past.

Chopper pushes his aggression, Zeb his arrogance/jedi superiority, Sabine his passion/desire. Hera does the job of trying to get rid of his defeatism and general stubbornness. They seem to be going down the checklist of the Jedi self-discipline.

Astro Nut posted:

Mind you, as an American show coming from American writers (and particularly as Hera isn't sporting the standard cockney accent that people might be familiar hearing it in), I can see how some might see it that way. Plus, you know, people's different standards and such - it baffles people how characters can be so affectionate in Tolkien literature without it being romantic.

Twi'lek are supposed to be space french anyway so it doesn't seem to be particularly bizarre for her to be saying it. Hell I'm sure i've seen plenty of american tv about certain parts of the US using it commonly. I'm also pretty sure shes said it to other people once or twice as just a part of her common vernacular.

tsob posted:

And I never said that using it in and of itself is bad, only that if someone has said they want a relationship with you, using that particular endearment might not be the best idea given that it could send mixed signals.

I'm honestly kind of shocked people are acting like it's strange just to suggest they may have a relationship based on the way they act around each other

Its not sending a mixed signal. Using the word love in the context its often used is pretty much just using it in the same way you use the word 'buddy' or 'pal' or whatever your vernacular is. The reason anyone is shocked is because from the tv show, there has been virtually nothing to suggest any kind of romantic relationship. They seem to act like two friends who have been together for a while.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The closest thing we've seen on camera is the end of the Machine in the Ghost short where Kanan maybe leans in for a kiss, which Hera responds to by pulling away a bit and her smile shifting to more of a teasing grin.

Then Chopper barges in.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 21, 2015

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

A New Dawn posted:

He obviously liked her starship, she could see as he walked around it. That was good. He was also smitten with her, she could tell--and she was all right with that, too. She didn't want to tell him that her war had already begun, and that in war, there was no time for anything else. He would probably understand that eventually. No, she thought, things would be fine the way they were. Kanan would be a great asset to her even if he never returned to the jedi ways. But she couldn't help but wonder: What would happen if he did?

A New Dawn posted:

She was watching him as he admired the starship. Hera had hidden it well, constantly looking away or fiddling with some part--but Kanan was well trained in knowing when female eyes were on him. Things had changed there, too. Hera had been mildly curious about him before, but the events on Forager had definitely influenced her attitude toward him. That, or he had somehow gotten a lot more attractive. Either reason was fine. Any excuse to be in her company was a good one, as long as she didn't push the matter. Hera knew one little thing about his past now, which was one more thing than he knew about hers. He hoped she'd figure out it had no bearing on who he was. If delivering pinpricks to the Empire was what gave her a thrill, he could certainly help her without getting into all that.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah except none of that is in the show so lets not pretend we should infer anything from it.

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah except none of that is in the show so lets not pretend we should infer anything from it.

I'm just posting the relevant text from the novel which was mentioned earlier. Regardless of their relationship, Hera as Team-Mom and Kanan as Team-Dad is still adorable. :3:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeah I never cared if they were in a relationship, in fact I kind of had an initial reaction of ":raise: wait isn't Kanan a jedi? I thought relationships were verboten" buuuuuuuut hey it's Star Wars

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

kingcom posted:

I've not noticed any romantic implications between the two of them in the slightest in the tv show.

Probably because it's not the kind of unstable and emotionally immature relationship you're used to seeing on television. But the way they interact is how people in healthy* relationships interact. It's not very obvious here probably because the writers want to keep the show light-hearted, but the verbal, tonal and contextual cues when Keenan and Hera interact - not to mention their de-facto roles as Mom and Dad of the group - make it pretty obvious.

*not saying that as a value judgment

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Probably because it's not the kind of unstable and emotionally immature relationship you're used to seeing on television. But the way they interact is how people in healthy* relationships interact. It's not very obvious here probably because the writers want to keep the show light-hearted, but the verbal, tonal and contextual cues when Keenan and Hera interact - not to mention their de-facto roles as Mom and Dad of the group - make it pretty obvious.

*not saying that as a value judgment

No i was comparing it to how regular human beings act but I appreciate the dumb comment nonetheless. Being the defacto parents of the group doesn't make any of it obvious, you can have that role and not be romantically involved. They seem to behave very much like people who have been with each other for a long time, are close friends, maybe they had/tried something in the past but thats not really happening in the present but they still live and die together and have that level of trust and comfort around each other.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

kingcom posted:

No i was comparing it to how regular human beings act but I appreciate the dumb comment nonetheless.

Thanks, and I appreciate the unwarranted hostility.

• Locked thread