Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Silentman0 posted:

A FNF where they bet real money on Saltybet would basically be the best video on the channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Only if if was OG salty bet with plenty of potato and one shot gokus

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That bit where they talked about how Salty was "fixed" by removing broken characters and balancing broke my goddamn heart.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Random aside Matt, please have Pat play the Undertale Demo. I'm curious to how he reacts to a game that fucks with him for rotating his saves.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Good god, this SMRPG playthrough is ROUGH :ughh::ughh:

This must be what it feels like to be a dark souls fan.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Rodyle posted:

That bit where they talked about how Salty was "fixed" by removing broken characters and balancing broke my goddamn heart.

I took a look at it earlier today and there was a MSPaint cat in a trench coat trying to punch Haohmaru and no one was moving or taking any damage.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

I feel like Liam could skip every non-forced encounter in SMRPG for the next 2-4 hours and still be perfectly well equipped for Booster's Tower. They very much did not intend for you to fight as many enemies as they have because the game is easy and for babies.

e: oh my god how does the forest maze stump you this bad i figured this poo poo out when i was 6 come on guys christ

This is a problem in a couple playthroughs but the guys sometimes overthink things to the point of ignoring common sense. Kinda stumps me how "Follow character" somehow turns into "Oh no we accidentally reset the maze, leave and reenter it over and over again! What's its DASTARDLY SECRET?!".

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

HGH posted:

This is a problem in a couple playthroughs but the guys sometimes overthink things to the point of ignoring common sense. Kinda stumps me how "Follow character" somehow turns into "Oh no we accidentally reset the maze, leave and reenter it over and over again! What's its DASTARDLY SECRET?!".

Also them taking like 20 minutes to figure out the directions the toad is giving you are relative to where you come into the screen from. Especially since there's a goddamn straight direction in there.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

OneDeadman posted:

Also them taking like 20 minutes to figure out the directions the toad is giving you are relative to where you come into the screen from. Especially since there's a goddamn straight direction in there.

To be fair, that's a bit confusing when you're playing a 2D game.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

C'mon, everyone does really dumb poo poo the first time they play games. Like I can go through SMRPG blindfolded but the first time it was The Herpaderp Adventures.

that said what the gently caress liam press the y button argh

Also I agree with Pat, touching screens with hands is for filthy animals.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Liam is a master troll. He casually name dropping sengoku rance on the podcast. I take back anything I've said about that contrarian kid.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

floor is lava posted:

Liam is a master troll. He casually name dropping sengoku rance on the podcast. I take back anything I've said about that contrarian kid.

He did a Rapelay namedrop once, I could see Pat's pained expression after that one.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Veotax posted:

That was it! We had one in Purley Way, Croydon. That's an area with nothing but big stores mostly focused on one area (PC World, Toys R Us, Ikea), then Best Buy comes along and tries to cram everything into one store (that was comparatively smaller). I don't know what the other Best Buys were like while they were here, but that one was hilariously badly placed.

There was an Ask/Tell thread supposedly from someone in Best Buy corporate and apparently they're pretty much dying in general (as a brick and mortar store anyway). They sell most of their stuff at a loss then try to profit by pressuring people into buying warranties and stuff, which apparently they do so hard they alienate most of their customers.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oy, how come the toilet nightmare was skipped in the NMH LP? I know that technically they've already been done in other videos but still.
I wonder why they put them in. I guess they sure as hell weren't porting the second game so they did that to compensate?
Also I'm sad that Lovikov gets unceremoniously killed off in a weird Japan only OVA of sorts. His name always sounded Russian to me and having a weird Russian drunken master was a cool idea.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is a subtle joke or not but I think Destroyman... goes "postal". Heh.

HGH fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 21, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HGH posted:

Oy, how come the toilet nightmare was skipped in the NMH LP? I know that technically they've already been done in other videos but still.
I wonder why they put them in. I guess they sure as hell weren't porting the second game so they did that to compensate?
They did an second version of the PS3 port in Japan called No More Heroes: Red Zone that added five bosses from NMH2, along with the tweaks from the western versions of Heroes Paradise.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
NMH Wii
NMH PS3 JPN - The worst version of the game, tons of bugs, very little extra content
NMH Heroes' Paradise PS3 NA - Added NMH2 bosses, added side jobs/assassination missions, DLC, bug fixes, some general improvements
NMH Red Zone - JPN version of the NA Heroes' Paradise

I skipped the NMH2 nightmares for the majority of the LP, but I'll be going into all the New Game + content, and the NMH2 bosses in the final part in a big summary.

But the main reason I skip them:

They give you nothing
They break the flow of the game = poor pacing
They are borderline broken as they are not tuned for NMH1 swords/mechanics
They are pretty lovely

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Thank you for the explanation! Red Zone confused me for the longest time.
Anyway yeah that justification makes a ton of sense. Sorry for making you repeat something you probably already said.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Random aside Matt, please have Pat play the Undertale Demo. I'm curious to how he reacts to a game that fucks with him for rotating his saves.

I'd like to know as well; I had to play it twice because I really didn't want to believe the ending I got was the only way to finish it. :(

But it does mention how powerful the ability to save is if you do the demo right and I'm curious as to whether they're hinting at it being an important mechanic or if they were just being meta.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm surprised the Mary Sue discussion during Letter Time didn't involve a massive rant about how lovely Lightning is.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'd like to know as well; I had to play it twice because I really didn't want to believe the ending I got was the only way to finish it. :(

But it does mention how powerful the ability to save is if you do the demo right and I'm curious as to whether they're hinting at it being an important mechanic or if they were just being meta.

Toby Fox (the creator) is a really smart guy, and judging by the way he talks about the game in kickstarter updates or just on his twitter, I sincerely doubt that kind of thing will just have been a one-off easter egg.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I like that moment where Pat goes on about being a chest spotter and then misses one immediately. It's a good thing none of the stuff in PE is critical and that you can break the difficulty without much trouble.

I dunno what it is about post-KH Yoko Shimomura that makes all her music so instantly recognizable. Like, the new Pokemon came out not too long ago and my first reaction upon hearing the new music was "Wow this sure sounds a lot like her style" and then it turned out to be her. I think it's something about the way she uses violins/pianos and just the general tempo of her songs.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm surprised the Mary Sue discussion during Letter Time didn't involve a massive rant about how lovely Lightning is.

That's not really a Mary Sue, because the creator isn't projecting himself onto Lightning.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Solaris Knight posted:

The whole mary sue conversation in the latest friendcast confused the hell out of me. Pat likes Maria and defends her for not being a mary sue, none of them mentions Lightning which literally has his creator make 3 games based on her and present a rose bouquet about her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol, Mary Sue discussion is always loving stupid.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 22, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hey Matt? The reason that Travis has a fax machine is because Japan is fuckin' weird and still uses them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/world/asia/in-japan-the-fax-machine-is-anything-but-a-relic.html

They're a weird sign of how out-of-date Japan can be with the rest of the world sometimes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

hoobajoo posted:

That's not really a Mary Sue, because the creator isn't projecting himself onto Lightning.

That's a self-insert, which often overlaps with a Mary Sue, but not necessarily so. Please, it's like you don't understand basic fanfiction terminology. :rolleyes:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I just got a Wii U and find that Bayonetta is thoroughly awesome, but I have a lot of Youtube on my plate as well. So, Matt, I pose you this question: should I watch some of your videos that I haven't seen yet, or should I play more Bayo? WHICH IS A BETTER USE OF MY TIME?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Silentman0 posted:

I just got a Wii U and find that Bayonetta is thoroughly awesome, but I have a lot of Youtube on my plate as well. So, Matt, I pose you this question: should I watch some of your videos that I haven't seen yet, or should I play more Bayo? WHICH IS A BETTER USE OF MY TIME?

As someone who is named Matt IRL I can confidently say that Bayo is the greatest

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why not do both

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Why not do both

this is basically how I play every console game

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Strange Quark posted:

That's a self-insert, which often overlaps with a Mary Sue, but not necessarily so. Please, it's like you don't understand basic fanfiction terminology. :rolleyes:

I thought those were two terms for the same thing, but maybe I know less about basic fanfiction terminology than I thought. What's exactly the difference?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A mary sue is a character that is (sometimes unintentionally) perfect and has virtually no flaws, in a way that none of the other characters in-world notice or acknowledge it; even their flaws are displayed only so that the author can go 'look, this person isn't TOTALLY perfect' but then those flaws have no negative effect on the media they appear in so it's a moot addition.

A self-insert is a character that represents the author directly either by being a mouthpiece for their beliefs and ideals or by literally being them (or rather, the person they THINK of themselves as) but with a different name.

A mary sue does not have to be a self-insert. The two usually coincide in a lot of ways, look toward Bella from Twilight for possibly the ultimate example of this.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 22, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mary Sue is rarely applicable to professional writing because even in video games it is rare that the writer inserts themselves in the story to stand on equal grounds with other characters.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

fatherboxx posted:

Mary Sue is rarely applicable to professional writing because even in video games it is rare that the writer inserts themselves in the story to stand on equal grounds with other characters.

What about the "preeminent work of Italian literature," according to Wikipedia.org?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Strange Quark posted:

What about the "preeminent work of Italian literature," according to Wikipedia.org?

Guys I went to hell and then heaven with my favorite writer and we met all the people who I like and also everyone that's ever wronged me or my family are suffering in hell and I kicked and tortured a few of those deserving bastards!

Dante's Inferno is pretty interesting but at the same time it's kind of laughably straight forward and an obvious "Me good, my enemies bad" political work it's hilarious.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Basically all video game and movie protagonists are mary sues because if they do anything bad at all that was not determined entirely by the player's choice, then the player will not be able to connect with them because all human beings psychologically see themselves as the pinnacle of justice and good in the world.

Silent Hill 2 plays with this idea very well, actually, which is part of why I like it so much.

edit: The sad part is that I made this post sound sarcastic but it's actually totally true that people psychologically associate themselves with the same moral high-ground while putting themselves in the shoes of a movie protagonist, even if they are totally different from either the protagonist or each other. If a protagonist does something bad in a movie, in the eyes of a lot of people they are no longer worth rooting for because the person watching the movie has imposed themselves onto the character and the person watching would NEVER do bad things, never ever.

Crime movies are almost the exception just because there's so much emphasis that the good guys are still really bad. It's a two-way road with movies: Either you establish your protagonist as the goodest good guy ever, or you establish early on that they regularly do bad things (but don't worry they're still good guys at heart). I can count the movies I've seen where the protagonist is a real son of a bitch and is still well-liked by the watchers on one hand.

further edit: Oh and also Hollywood has become afraid of giving characters steep flaws as a side effect of that fact which is why you hardly ever see it. So that's fun.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 22, 2015

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

It's me guys, i'm the Mary Sue.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Mary Sue is old-hat, I'd rather have Annie May.

Silentman0 posted:

Why not both? Play Bayo, listen to videos while you playing/watch them during cutscenes because honestly it's not like Bayo has groundbreaking storytelling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hey Matt, give this a read despite being Polygon:

http://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan

Interviews with a lot of big name people in japanese gaming like Kamiya, monster hunter guys, Ono, and Tabata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Matt, please, for the love of christ, don't play, mock, talk about, or even mention Huniepop in any SBF stuff. Don't give that incredibly creepy developer guy any more attention than he's already gotten, negative or otherwise