Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, they're supposed to be about/from the perspective of the bosses the song plays over.

Doesn't Armstrong even quote part of the lyrics from his song after you beat him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

a kitten posted:

Wearing silly poo poo in cutscenes is the best. A while back FFXIV added a hat based on the slimes from Dragon Quest and nothing livens up a serious storyline quest like seeing that thing jiggling on your head while NPCs are talking away.

Kingdom Hearts 2 was great for this. In most cutscenes, Sora keeps his current drive transformation and, more importantly, his currently equipped keyblade. This can make for some magical scenes. Captain Jack Sparrow is talking about how the keyblade is a mighty weapon and how he wishes he had it, so Sora hands over... a stick with a beehive on it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Screaming Idiot posted:

This should be required reading for anyone who likes MGR:R's music. The game does a masterful job of making the music enhance the story while reinforcing just how badass and hosed-up everything is.

Let your country control your soul
LET YOUR COUNTRY CONTROL YOUR SOUL

Lol

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, they're supposed to be about/from the perspective of the bosses the song plays over.

I thought the gimmick was the lyrics apply to Raiden just as much as they do to the boss?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I'm sure its already been mentioned, but in the Fire Emblem series there are weapons that are more effective against targets with certain characteristics: Flying, Heavy Armour, Mounted/Beast, and Dragon. Normally these effects work against certain classes only, anti-mount/beast works well against guys on horses and in a couple of games they work well against the beast men, while anti-dragon weapons work best against dragons and people on wyverns. In fire Emblem Awakening you are able to switch characters between classes, including a few characters who are naturally able to turn into Giant Rabbits or Dragons. These characters retain their weakness to these weapons no matter what class they are, since they actually arenaturally Dragons/beasts.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I was replaying Dishonored and found out there was a lot more character dialogue than you would think. Now, one of the things you collect in the game are the paintings of Anton Sokolov; who you first meet painting a portrait of the High Overseer next to a glass of wine. If you take the wine, he complains about having to repaint over it. A few levels later, the painting which you will collect changes depending on whether you took the glass or not.

Something I never saw in all my runs of this game however, was when I stood between Anton and the High Overseer to talk to him. He actually refuses to keep painting because you're blocking his vision and just walks away :laffo:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Zinkraptor posted:

I thought the gimmick was the lyrics apply to Raiden just as much as they do to the boss?

Standing here
I realize
You are just like me
Trying to make history

But who’s to judge
The right from wrong
When our guard is down
I think we’ll both agree

That violence breeds violence
But in the end it has to be this way

I’ve carved my own path
You followed your wrath
But maybe we’re both the same

The world has turned
And so many have burned
But nobody is to blame

Yet staring across this barren wasted land
I feel new life will be born
Beneath the blood stained sand
Beneath the blood stained sand

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

games are art

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no no, games are fart

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm finally getting my world completion in Guild Wars 2 and despite the fact that I've owned this game there's poo poo I've never seen before, one particular thing I liked was a class specific question that I didn't expect, I play ranger the pet class and an NPC asks me a question relating to it which I wasn't expecting, it was a charr(cat like war race in the GW2 lore), she tells me that she couldn't help but notice my companion(the pet) and as a ranger herself had a question, she wants to befriend a krytan drakehound(dog found in human starter area) but she's afraid her warband will mock her for it.

I also found a computer panel that my human character couldn't understand but my Asura(super genius rat like race) could.

I like games that do tiny poo poo like this, its just so inconsequential, I imagine most people don't even take the time to speak or examine most of the game world, and yet they wrote lines for some of the smallest poo poo I can think off.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Desperate Character posted:

I was replaying Dishonored and found out there was a lot more character dialogue than you would think. Now, one of the things you collect in the game are the paintings of Anton Sokolov; who you first meet painting a portrait of the High Overseer next to a glass of wine. If you take the wine, he complains about having to repaint over it. A few levels later, the painting which you will collect changes depending on whether you took the glass or not.

Something I never saw in all my runs of this game however, was when I stood between Anton and the High Overseer to talk to him. He actually refuses to keep painting because you're blocking his vision and just walks away :laffo:

If you like little details about characters and stuff, make sure you equip the Heart and point it at pretty much everyone/everything you see.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Alouicious posted:

no no, games are fart

finally, you say something that makes sense.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell came out yesterday.

There is a musical number.

There is a Disney-style musical number and I cried because I love this series so much.

The game description even states the musical number's there, but just witnessing it is beautiful. :allears:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

graybook posted:

There is a Disney-style musical number and I cried because I love this series so much.

The game description even states the musical number's there, but just witnessing it is beautiful. :allears:

Daniel Dae Kim is amazing.

The whole game so far is just enthralling. It just feels so perfect as a Johnny Gat-based story.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Daniel Dae Kim is amazing.

The whole game so far is just enthralling. It just feels so perfect as a Johnny Gat-based story.

I've not played it for even two hours, though, and completion's already telling me i'm at 29%, but less than 20% of the city taken over. Well, I guess I can at least spend a lot of time collecting soul clusters.

Also, the option to play as Kinzie is pretty nice. I'm rolling with her for now.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Just started playing Dragon Age: Inquisition and my favorite spot so far is going to the tavern in Haven. As far as I am in the game so far, there's no real gameplay reason to ever go there but the atmosphere is just great. Bard singing in the corner, your soldiers chatting and relaxing. It's almost out of place in a game that tries to be grim and intense 90-odd percent of the time. Also if you talk to Sera (tip: never do this) in a "cinematic" conversation, when you stop talking to her (tip:always do this) there's a brief animation of your character briskly standing up turning away from her to stare intently at a blank bit of wall.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is all you need to know about Gat out of hell.

http://i.imgur.com/BW8eeDK.gif

Not a story spoiler, mostly a very small sequence but I'll direct link it for those that don't wanna see it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

graybook posted:

I've not played it for even two hours, though, and completion's already telling me i'm at 29%, but less than 20% of the city taken over. Well, I guess I can at least spend a lot of time collecting soul clusters.

Also, the option to play as Kinzie is pretty nice. I'm rolling with her for now.

You can switch in single player, or you mean you're doing co-op?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

You can switch in single player, or you mean you're doing co-op?

You can switch.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

graybook posted:

They released the entire thing as a trailer which is a shame considering it's one of the few actual cutscenes in the game.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Can't wait to buy the gently caress out of this game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Just don't buy it on PC.

The thread is a rollercoaster of porting issues. Several people in the thread can't even launch the game.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The game is just returning to its SR2 roots by being unplayable on PC.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

In Spelunky if you look somewhat closely, you'll notice that everything, at least in the mines, has a bit of a dropshadow, which grows longer the further you are from it.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Just don't buy it on PC.

The thread is a rollercoaster of porting issues. Several people in the thread can't even launch the game.

It can be a little messy, but I'm still enjoying it. Running around Hell as the most badass of the Saints is so cathartic.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
Something I'm still enjoying about Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes is that the second you hit quit game from the menu is slams you back to your desktop instantly. It's fantastic to play a game where they have prioritized what the player is actually trying to do.

I think I'm still traumatized by Assassin Creed 1's: Exit Animus, Quit Game, Load Profile, Load Game Menu, Quit Game, Desktop (finally) .

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Steve Shultz posted:

Something I'm still enjoying about Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes is that the second you hit quit game from the menu is slams you back to your desktop instantly. It's fantastic to play a game where they have prioritized what the player is actually trying to do.

Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas all have the usual "exit to main menu" then "quit to desktop", but you can pull up the console and type qqq to drop right out of the game. (Supposedly, it stands for "quit quite quickly.")

All Source engine games have a quick quit console command as well ("quit prompt") which was once, for some reason, mapped to F10 by default in Team Fortress 2.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

m2pt5 posted:

Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas all have the usual "exit to main menu" then "quit to desktop", but you can pull up the console and type qqq to drop right out of the game. (Supposedly, it stands for "quit quite quickly.")

All Source engine games have a quick quit console command as well ("quit prompt") which was once, for some reason, mapped to F10 by default in Team Fortress 2.

I wish Dark Souls 2 would do something like that. As it is, if you quit the game it logs you out of the servers, takes you back to the main menu and logs you back into the servers when you try to exit completely. I've taken to just alt-tabbing out and closing the window manually.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm replaying Saints Row IV and the alien toilets have three seashells on them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

m2pt5 posted:

F10 used to be a pretty common shrotcut key for quit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

F10 used to be a pretty common shrotcut key for quit.

I hear it turns on unlimited ammo :ssh:

Despite Gat out of Hell's shortcomings, its still a lot of fun to play (with a friend).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kimmalah posted:

I wish Dark Souls 2 would do something like that. As it is, if you quit the game it logs you out of the servers, takes you back to the main menu and logs you back into the servers when you try to exit completely. I've taken to just alt-tabbing out and closing the window manually.
Quit the game, then when the main menu comes up, Alt + F4. A little clunky, but less than your version.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Kalos posted:

The destruction in general, made a game that would have otherwise been tedious and bland into a shitload of fun. I think I completed almost every hostage rescue by driving a truck through the wall of the room they were held in. The hammer was for making my own doors when I had to go in on foot.

Also if the thrown remote explosives weren't your primary ranged weapon, then you were literally playing the game wrong

Watching the enemies panic when they get a demo pack stuck to them was never not hilarious. Also sometimes I'd charge them with my hammer at the ready and they'd panic and run for cover. Smashing through walls and beaning a guy on the other side never got old, either.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Simply Simon posted:

Quit the game, then when the main menu comes up, Alt + F4. A little clunky, but less than your version.

You can actually just Alt+F4 whenever; it'll save and close out. It won't give you a "you may have lost progress by not saving" pop-up, unless you do it during a load screen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Infamous second sun has really good banksy stuff.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Infamous second sun has really good banksy stuff.

That game showed me what stencil graffiti is and how easy it can be, and got me interested in it. A video game led me to making (minimal effort) art.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I've been bitching about Gat Out of Hell in the Dragging Down thread, but for every gripe there's something tiny and amazing about it. Daniel Dae Kim's voice work is fantastically sociopathic, flying feels AMAZING (once you get used to it), and possibly the littlest thing of all: in an area with a chainlink fence, when you touch down near it or Stomp the ground near it, either way, it rattles like a real chainlink fence does. It made me so happy :kimchi:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
So in all of the Endless games right now, there is a limited time event. Doing this event will permanently unlock some content, not sure what exactly. The story of the event involves all 3 games, culminating in getting an achievement in each.

The description for each achievement is each part of a longer sentence.

Dungeon of the Endless:"On this day, Endless technology lights up and strange things appear..."
Endless Legend": ...in the ruins all across Auriga, and even throughout..."
Endless Space": …the galaxy as the Archivist, Emlek Tarosh, fulfills its duty."

Also what you're required to do in each game also makes the story flow. In Dungeon, you have to escape as the hero, Emlek Tarosh. In Endless Legend, you find him and fight him, and he becomes one of your heroes. In Endless Space, he is hireable, and you have to both hire him and beat the game on the hardest difficulty setting.

An interesting game-spanning mini story arc, I like it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oof, I must have missed the start of that, how long is it running?

The Endless games are all super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Chard posted:

Oof, I must have missed the start of that, how long is it running?

The Endless games are all super cool.
According to gamesutra: It runs until this coming Sunday

I only found out about it because a steam friend told me, they didn't quite promote it.

They do have a nice website up for it though:
http://endless-day.com/