Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

slap me silly posted:

I bought these recently! 500 bucks and it sure is comfortable. We'll see how long it lasts... Amazon reviews look promising.

I bought the smaller one (6"?), and it's ok, but it's a bit too firm for me. I normally like fairly firm mattresses. I sleep on my side mostly and sometimes I wake up with sore shoulders on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Grumpwagon posted:

I bought the smaller one (6"?), and it's ok, but it's a bit too firm for me. I normally like fairly firm mattresses. I sleep on my side mostly and sometimes I wake up with sore shoulders on this.
They supposedly take it back within 30 days no questions asked, but how do you ship that sucker back?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Space Gopher posted:

The liquor tax laws were passed by popular vote.

Up until the last election, the state controlled liquor sales. Costco and local grocery chains wrote and promoted a law to privatize retail booze. Because of our totally hosed-up no-income-tax-having budget, the new system basically had to be revenue-neutral.

Idiots voting for the law assumed that buying liquor at the grocery store just had to be cheaper than buying it at the state-owned store, even though the state would get the same amount of money thanks to those gigantic taxes that replaced all previous revenue from liquor sales and taxes, and the grocery stores would turn a profit on top of that. Needless to say, they were wrong.

Privatizing poo poo with a boat load of barriers to entry is the best for all of us because Washingtonians believe Costco, Kroger Foods Inc., and dickweeds that win licensing lotteries and have money to open up pot shops are really a gentleman farmers in the tradition of Jefferson.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Nitrox posted:

They supposedly take it back within 30 days no questions asked, but how do you ship that sucker back?

They donate it to the Salvation Army (or other such organization), and that charity sends someone to come pick it up and use it in the area.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

That's actually pretty cool. I'll be in Phoenix next week, I'll see if I can stop by their new showroom.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
This is an interesting level of bad with money; you need to invoice a 5 year old for not showing up at a birthday party.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/boy-5-invoiced-for-missing-birthday-party/ar-AA8l7Gd

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Devian666 posted:

This is an interesting level of bad with money; you need to invoice a 5 year old for not showing up at a birthday party.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/boy-5-invoiced-for-missing-birthday-party/ar-AA8l7Gd

I don't think that it's money that this person is bad with.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
That article's been updated.

quote:

Note to readers: An earlier version of this Financial Facelift said the couple Eric and Ilsa spent $6,000 monthly on professional associations. In fact, that is the annual amount. Also, the article said Eric works one day a week in a clinic and one day a week teaching. The doctor has further clarified in saying he works up to 80 hours many weeks through longer working hours and extra days and hours both in medicine and teaching.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Root of the doctor/dentist family money troubles is the decision to have 5 children, AND send them to private school, AND build a $2.1 million home. Childcare is stupid expensive in this city, so the nanny is the one "good with money" decision they made. Public schools are free, which would solve all of the problems right there. Renting a 5BR house would be achievable for the money they are paying on the mortgage for the land.

Really the article is a great example of how important it is to set goals and prioritize a budget no matter what your income level is.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

EgonSpengler posted:

Childcare is stupid expensive in this city, so the nanny is the one "good with money" decision they made.

Even without crazy high childcare expenses, with enough children, a nanny can be cheaper. My girlfriend works as a nanny, and she's had two types of families - people with a lot of money, and people with a lot of young kids (where she ended up being cheaper than childcare for all of them).

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

A guy I know who makes minimum wage had some laptop troubles so he took it to Harvey Norman. For context Harvey Norman is an Australian retailer that sells electrical and white goods, furniture, and notoriously expensive computer kit.

So he goes in, and they quote him AUD$800 to fix, what he said was, a busted hard drive. Now, I don't know the extent of the problem, or even if it was the hard drive (I know he has friends in IT, but didn't bother asking them), but that's an insane figure.

$800 is a lot of money, he can't afford that, but the kindly shop assistant tells him that he's in luck. If he buys a desktop computer, they'll fix his hard drive at no extra cost. This guy has a bad case of gear acquisition syndrome (bought a Canon 7D, has used it maybe twice - its collecting dust on a shelf) and even though he has every one of the new generation gaming consoles, he reckons he needs a new gaming rig too.

$2300. Couldn't afford $800 to fix his gaming laptop, so you'd think he couldn't afford the $2300 desktop. Well, uh, they have in store financing so...

Early 20s, in an industry where he could very likely be on minimum wage forever, and is already accruing some serious debt. The worst thing is, from his point of view, they did him a huge favour. Siqq work mate.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Hocus Pocus posted:

A guy I know who makes minimum wage had some laptop troubles so he took it to Harvey Norman. For context Harvey Norman is an Australian retailer that sells electrical and white goods, furniture, and notoriously expensive computer kit.

So he goes in, and they quote him AUD$800 to fix, what he said was, a busted hard drive. Now, I don't know the extent of the problem, or even if it was the hard drive (I know he has friends in IT, but didn't bother asking them), but that's an insane figure.

$800 is a lot of money, he can't afford that, but the kindly shop assistant tells him that he's in luck. If he buys a desktop computer, they'll fix his hard drive at no extra cost. This guy has a bad case of gear acquisition syndrome (bought a Canon 7D, has used it maybe twice - its collecting dust on a shelf) and even though he has every one of the new generation gaming consoles, he reckons he needs a new gaming rig too.

$2300. Couldn't afford $800 to fix his gaming laptop, so you'd think he couldn't afford the $2300 desktop. Well, uh, they have in store financing so...

Early 20s, in an industry where he could very likely be on minimum wage forever, and is already accruing some serious debt. The worst thing is, from his point of view, they did him a huge favour. Siqq work mate.

This is why it's good with money to learn to replace a $40-80 harddrive and reinstall Windows and drivers.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Figured this is about a good a place to ask as any. I'd like a second opinion on if something I did was bad with money or not.

I've been thinking of getting myself a new motorcycle for a few years now, but could never realistically see where I would get the money for it. Over the last year, I set a rough budget, and goal to max out my RSP (Canada, IRA/401k equivalent), have an emergency fund, and start on my TFSA (Roth IRA). Due to lots of overtime, and little time to spend it, I went over my goals by about 6k.

So I could start saving up $200-250 a month and buy a bike outright in 3 years. But then Honda had a discount on 2014 models, and 1.9% financing on 3 year terms. I did the math, and it would cost about 250$ for the loan. So I decided that 250$ was a fair price to pay to enjoy a new bike 3 years earlier, and I bought one.

Budget wise, it would take up most of my "Fun money" for the month, though I have a fair bit of wiggle room in other categories. My budget also does not include any overtime (I had over 600 hours in 2014), and this year is likely to be just as busy.

TL,DR: Does it make sense to use really cheap financing to enjoy something now instead of saving up for it?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Golluk posted:

Figured this is about a good a place to ask as any. I'd like a second opinion on if something I did was bad with money or not.

I've been thinking of getting myself a new motorcycle for a few years now, but could never realistically see where I would get the money for it. Over the last year, I set a rough budget, and goal to max out my RSP (Canada, IRA/401k equivalent), have an emergency fund, and start on my TFSA (Roth IRA). Due to lots of overtime, and little time to spend it, I went over my goals by about 6k.

So I could start saving up $200-250 a month and buy a bike outright in 3 years. But then Honda had a discount on 2014 models, and 1.9% financing on 3 year terms. I did the math, and it would cost about 250$ for the loan. So I decided that 250$ was a fair price to pay to enjoy a new bike 3 years earlier, and I bought one.

Budget wise, it would take up most of my "Fun money" for the month, though I have a fair bit of wiggle room in other categories. My budget also does not include any overtime (I had over 600 hours in 2014), and this year is likely to be just as busy.

TL,DR: Does it make sense to use really cheap financing to enjoy something now instead of saving up for it?

Is this your first motorcycle or have you owned (and have plenty of experience riding) them before?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Either way, don't buy new. Nothing sucks like making payments on a machine that just sits in the garage all winter.

Cycle Asylum has some very helpful posters who can guide you through the bike buying process once you figure out your budget.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Golluk posted:

When I buy expensive toys my rule is that it can't be more than 10% of my money. So if I want a $2,000 computer I had to wait until I had $20,000 saved up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
New motorcycle depreciation dropoff is insane. I would never buy one new, unless it was a really uncommon one that you rarely see on the used market.
You spent $9,000, so you're in CBR650 / Shadow territory.

I bought a 7 year old, 10,000 mile Shadow for $2,500, rode it as a daily driver for two years, and sold it for $2,500 at the end of it. And I live in a place where you can ride year round. And having a note on your motorcycle means you will have to have full coverage insurance, which is pretty expensive compared to cars (because people don't often accidentally flip their cars over in parking lots)

So yeah, don't buy new.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Golluk posted:

Here is a good general principle: Taking out a loan to buy a expensive fun thing that you don't need is Bad With Money.

You don't have the money for it. You're talking about spending all of the spare cash you think you're going to have for the next three years. Don't do it

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I agree don't buy new on motorcycles, especially if it is your first bike. I got a nice 11 year old V Star with 8k miles on it for $2.2k this year and I can ride it all year too, plus insurance is a steal at $130 a year.

I would take the cash you saved from buying used and invest in some great protective equipment, I honestly spent close to $900 on a helmet, jacket, pants, gloves and boots for safety. Quality safety gear is never bad with money.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Am I the only person who read the below sentence? It looks like he already bought it.

Golluk posted:

So I decided that 250$ was a fair price to pay to enjoy a new bike 3 years earlier, and I bought one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I personally view it as bad with money because going forward I'm not even going to take out loans for cars, let alone bikes. If something bad happens that results in loss of employment that's one more payment you have to pay and that sucks.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Haha, you're right! Guess I thought I was in the advice thread. Yes, Golluk, that was bad with money! Now you know. Enjoy having your excess cash flow completely tied up for the next three years, and I hope you don't lose your job or something. Let This Be A Lesson To You, etc etc

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
"I got a really good deal on the financing" is a bad smell to me. I'm sure there are legitimate uses of it (like say, when you're the lender), but usually it's sufficient to know the rest of the paragraph is going to be a depressing one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
And the rule with motorcycles is that you get The Fever and will end up buying/selling a bunch of them. Not because you dislike your current motorcycle or you didn't buy the one you *really* want, you just want to try something different.
So it becomes more important to buy them cheaply

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I hope whatever you got is fully faired so you can be out another $2-300 in depreciation/replacement fairings the first time you drop it in a parking lot.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

slap me silly posted:

Here is a good general principle: Taking out a loan to buy a expensive fun thing that you don't need is Bad With Money.

You don't have the money for it. You're talking about spending all of the spare cash you think you're going to have for the next three years. Don't do it

It's a good basic one, but income smoothing is a totally reasonable reason to take financing.

If you suck at impulse control, then don't do it. If you've budgeted out your expenses for a year and you've got a handle on things? Sure why not.

E: Good examples of us doing this every day: All purchases with a credit card that we pay off same month (we accept 0% financing as a replacement for the hassle of managing cash). Student Loans (we take massive debt and get a signaling device, cell phone contract plans, etc).

Every person has their own personal discount rate; if yours is high (you're impatient) it'll have bad effects, but it might not actually be something you can just "change" on the spot. If yours is very low, you're fine waiting two years to save a point or two.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 21, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Do you actually view and think of your credit card as financing? I sort of view mine as an expense tracking system designed for easy importation into mint. I guess I autopay and have a bigger emergency fund than I do card limit but still. The fact that the money isn't deducted for ~half a month isn't really on my radar.

A lot of people do think of student loans in a similarly unhealthy fashion, I guess I see it as trading on margin in hopes of increasing one's income enough to warrant it, but I'm guessing that view is unpopular.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
disregard, I was being dumb

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 21, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MJBuddy posted:

It's a good basic one, but income smoothing is a totally reasonable reason to take financing.

I mean, I did this for my house... I don't do it for my expensive toys. I consider the latter Bad With Money.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do you actually view and think of your credit card as financing? I sort of view mine as an expense tracking system designed for easy importation into mint. I guess I autopay and have a bigger emergency fund than I do card limit but still. The fact that the money isn't deducted for ~half a month isn't really on my radar.

A lot of people do think of student loans in a similarly unhealthy fashion, I guess I see it as trading on margin in hopes of increasing one's income enough to warrant it, but I'm guessing that view is unpopular.

It's an unpopular view but a) it's what it is, and b) it's probably a good investment for most. I have a lot more student loan debt than most, but it worked out well for me because I was able to earn the income manage it.

slap me silly posted:

I mean, I did this for my house... I don't do it for my expensive toys. I consider the latter Bad With Money.

I think it depends on magnitude and case by case. Motorcycle? Year I'd disagree but I also have no interest in that.

The answer is usually somewhere in the middle. The effective interest rate of saving up for a few years before financing say, half the price of a car is lower than just financing the whole thing; if you're offered 0% interest there's no reason to not do it now (save cash flow concerns) since you can't lower the interest rate any further. It becomes about "Do I really need a new car?" instead of "When should I purchase it?"

The optimal amount of debt over someone's life is probably not 0. At older ages you definitely should have less, but there's nothing from an efficiency standard wrong with having a negative net worth in your 20s to live at a slightly higher standard so long as you don't let it inflate when you need to pay it off.

I'm pretty happy at my quality of life - my goal is to just stand pat, pay down debt and store savings so that I just hold here.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If you're financing a vehicle (be it bike, boat, whatever) you should never be underwater on the loan. At the very least, you can sell it for what you owe on it.

Personally, I won't buy any vehicles without cash on hand. I've never owned anything newer than 6 years old or with fewer than 80,000 miles, and my expectations of a vehicle are much lower as a result.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Nocheez posted:

If you're financing a vehicle (be it bike, boat, whatever) you should never be underwater on the loan. At the very least, you can sell it for what you owe on it.

Why?

Treating it like an asset conflates something you're consuming with something you're investing in. People say this all the time but I don't see the best case for it assuming you've got the savings to cover the gap in loan to car value at will.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

Why?

Treating it like an asset conflates something you're consuming with something you're investing in. People say this all the time but I don't see the best case for it assuming you've got the savings to cover the gap in loan to car value at will.

If something drastic happens and I have to ditch my car, I don't want it becoming a double-whammy, knocking a hole in my savings or emergency fund at the same time.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I think everyone in this thread is forgetting how shiny a new motorcycle looks.

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

turevidar posted:

If something drastic happens and I have to ditch my car, I don't want it becoming a double-whammy, knocking a hole in my savings or emergency fund at the same time.

Or if you can't swallow the savings/emergency fund hit, you're really hosed.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Hocus Pocus posted:

What the gently caress, literally 1/2 the laptops on their shelves these days are less than $800, why not just buy one of them?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Rudager posted:

What the gently caress, literally 1/2 the laptops on their shelves these days are less than $800, why not just buy one of them?

"gaming laptop"

He probably paid $2k for it. It also helped them to properly identify him as a sucker who is easily taken advantage of.

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.
I sure hope he got the extended warranty.

Also, unless your buddy travels a lot (he doesn't), not buying a Gaming Laptop over an equivalently specced desktop is just Bad With Money.

poo poo, for $2k, he could get a decent gaming desktop, 4k display, and have enough left for a night of hookers and blow.

Edit: Learned to read, it was a $2300 desktop. Probably to play League on a 1080p. No words.

KillTylerDurden fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 21, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

I think everyone in this thread is forgetting how shiny a new motorcycle looks.

It's not Harley chrome all over shiny, but it is nice. I'll likely be paying it down allot faster (I liked being debt free more than I thought I would), but at the same time, It isn't hard to beat 2% growth investing extra money. I think that is more my question, pay down 2% loan, or throw extra money into my TFSA and make minimum payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

A 4 cyl 650cc sportbike is really not a good first ride. I started on a cbr250r and had a blast. I went up to a Ninja 650 and the first pull on the throttle felt like the world went plaid. I could out-accelerate $200K supercars (911 GT3, to 100mph) on that thing and it was a 2 cylinder. Seriously, that's a fast loving bike.

Good with money is starting on a used 250cc because everyone starts there you don't lose money when you sell it to the next beginner.

e: I love the new honda 650 and wish I had one

• Locked thread