Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

CommieGIR posted:

Take a thin file, and cut grooves into your snapon ring pliers. Problem solved.

I went to Sears, got a set of Craftsman snap ring pliers. They are infinitely better than the HF pieces of poo poo.

edit: Hah, hooray spellcheck. They are better than the HF poo poo ones. Ain't perfect, but better.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Korwen posted:

They are infinitesimally better

That word...I do not think it means what you think it means.

or maybe it is what you mean, given what's happened to Sears in the last fifteen years

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T1g4h posted:

Yeeeah. Roomie's g/f decided since she had already accidentally burned it, she might as well just carve her and my roomie's initials in it. Then I pointed out that was my old coffee table and that was kind of a hosed up thing to do.
My situation is likely different but I would kick them the gently caress out if they did that poo poo. I'm about ready to anyway for the constant mess and not knowing how to shut up.

Well someone on the E21 forums pointed out something. The nut doesn't use those threads once on. I can grind/file/camfer them so the nut can get past and not worry about it. Yay I'm not out ~$350 to get them from Germany.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So if you find yourself going towards Indiana you should just drive into a ditch.

http://www.21alive.com/news/local/Court-Documents-Reveal-Gruesome-Details-Of-3-Year-Olds-Death-289198911.html?llsms=1091161&c=y

This is about the kid I posted about earlier.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Not car-related but USENET was a cool and good thing that deserved better than to lose out to lovely PHP forum sites. :colbert:

I am aware of the irony of where I'm posting this.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Rhyno posted:

So if you find yourself going towards Indiana you should just drive into a ditch.

http://www.21alive.com/news/local/Court-Documents-Reveal-Gruesome-Details-Of-3-Year-Olds-Death-289198911.html?llsms=1091161&c=y

Holy poo poo. What is wrong with people. I have seen some poo poo in the last year working in pediatrics but that is up there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

Holy poo poo. What is wrong with people. I have seen some poo poo in the last year working in pediatrics but that is up there.

I have no loving idea anymore. The father of that boy was dating a friend of mine's sister last year. Its like I end up connected to every tragedy in this state somehow.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I have no loving idea anymore. The father of that boy was dating a friend of mine's sister last year. Its like I end up connected to every tragedy in this state somehow.

why are they recording the father's reaction? what a horrible thing to play out for him in front of a camera

Also, I'm guessing that father wont win dad of the year considering that he had not seen his son in months.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

why are they recording the father's reaction? what a horrible thing to play out for him in front of a camera

Also, I'm guessing that father wont win dad of the year considering that he had not seen his son in months.

Award winning journalism right there.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Welp, found a house I kinda like so I went ahead with the pre-approval process. I was going to wait a few more months before getting pre-approved and then looking seriously but I just kinda stumbled across this one. I haven't actually been inside it yet or had it inspected so it could be garbage but it looked nice from the outside and has almost everything I'm looking for. :homebrew:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Rhyno posted:

Award winning journalism right there.

As lovely as it sounds, this is sadly true. Back when I was doing graphic design for one of the local papers, we were basically encouraged to put the most dramatic, sensational, depressing poo poo on the front page because happy, cheery stories don't sell papers. Big, bold headlines and a tendency to focus on the negative, hosed up poo poo is what nets you attention and views :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You put the cheerful fluff stories at the end of the news, to try and avoid your audience blowing their brains out - or, even worse, changing channels.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

gently caress shops...that is all. Are these salvageable or do I need to wait for a set from Germany?

What retarded shop doesn't know not to hammer on threaded things without the nut there to protect the threads? Or better still, use a soft-faced hammer? Geeze, I learned that lesson as a kid (motorcycle front axle through bolt, if you really wanted to know.)

T1g4h posted:

Yeeeah. Roomie's g/f decided since she had already accidentally burned it, she might as well just carve her and my roomie's initials in it. Then I pointed out that was my old coffee table and that was kind of a hosed up thing to do.

You live with some profoundly stupid people.

Rhyno posted:

Jesus.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Putting the nut back on just results in a smashed nut or stripping all the threads off the nut all the way around the tip, in my experience. I had it spun on like 5 turns and still ruined the hell out of my tie rod end.

I've been using the hammer trick on balljoints/TREs, soft faced hammers on axleshafts, etc ever since. No issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsci-izhhc

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Darchangel posted:

What retarded shop doesn't know not to hammer on threaded things without the nut there to protect the threads? Or better still, use a soft-faced hammer? Geeze, I learned that lesson as a kid (motorcycle front axle through bolt, if you really wanted to know.)
This is how I've always done it and if it doesn't pop off after a few good smacks it needs a different approach.

kastein posted:

I've been using the hammer trick on balljoints/TREs, soft faced hammers on axleshafts, etc ever since. No issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsci-izhhc
Tried that when we pulled apart the chump to replace some stuff, was hoping for :smuggo: but it didn't work. Even with the big fuckoff hammer no luck with that method. One solid hit on a punch with BFH popped it out.

I've spent the last hour tonight as well as a bunch of time over the last week and a half trying to find my drat wheel spacers. Posted bitching about it then realized where they were. Love when that happens. Those will let me run the track wheels/tires from the E30. Now I need to find someone local with a fender roller I can borrow.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 21, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Oh my god I cannot wait to get my own place again. You'd think my roomies would know better than to run heater + microwave or multiple heaters, having been repeatedly told that it trips the circuits due to the lovely ancient wiring in this house. Nope. I swear they loving do it at least once a week :argh:

I can one up that one.

The heating bill is in the name of of my girlfriend's roommate. It started getting cold in October so my girlfriend asked her roommate to call to get the heat turned on "just in case" in October. Her roommate said she would.

What she actually did was go out to WalMart and buy herself a space heater.

So in November, my girlfriend tried to turn on the heat when it got really cold but couldn't because her rooommate is a dumbass and a cheapskate. During this time, her roommate blew a fuse because she was cooking while using a space heater so they had no heat and no electricity for a few days because they didn't know how to replace a fuse.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 21, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Wait, get the heat turned on? I'm guessing you guys are using propane or something similar?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
They just moved into the place in July so I'm guessing they never set up the heat because they didn't need it yet. No idea how the place is heated, probably natural gas, but the place is older.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 21, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Ah, yeah, that makes sense then. The heat in this place is all propane but we decided it'd be cheaper and easier to just get a couple of electric space heaters for our rooms, since propane here is basically crazy levels of expensive.

I will say this, my old school Heat Stream 3000 or whatever it is does a fantastic job of keeping my entire room at 80+ without killing our electric bill. Also not too bad on power draw. I'm running it and my gaming PC off the same outlet with zero issue on that circuit.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Made an appointment for today to look at an apartment exactly in the area that I wanted to move to. Management company called me 2 hours before my appointment to cancel because they had rented it to someone else before I even got to see it. :(

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Holy crap air tools are awesome. No more using cheater bars, just put the rattle gun on the bolt and it zips right off.

Hey CSB - How much of a whore is it to change the rear axle seal on my RRC?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
which one, theres like 7. lmao.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

which one, theres like 7. lmao.

gently caress. Its not the actual hub, its the one behind the disc.

I think I just need to disassemble the hub, and see whats going on. It could be a deep rear end rabbit hole and I need a bigger hammer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The stubaxle seal is kind of a oval office to replace. esp in rustlands.
Hub seals? Meh. Beer 30 project. the bearing nut is like 2.5" though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well, the caliper, the disc cover and a few other parts are covered in a nice greasy goo. Ill dig into later, I just did the rear shocks. Pretty sure they came from the factory. I also got the replacement fender sanded and prepped to head to the paint shop

Tomorrow I plan to tackle the fronts shocks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Remember that account someone opened in my name with Verizon?

Remember I was told it was taken care of?

Called their fraud department when I got home, they said everything looked like it'd been taken care of properly on their end, and that it would take 1-2 billing cycles for it to be fixed. "Just ignore the bills", which sounds like really sound advice. :rolleyes:

15 minutes later, I get a call from a bill collector for the account. :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 21, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

The stubaxle seal is kind of a oval office to replace. esp in rustlands.
Hub seals? Meh. Beer 30 project. the bearing nut is like 2.5" though.
Echoing "how rusty is it?". The mechanics of the job are relatively simple, it's just seized or previous owner'd fasteners that make it a bastard.

Hub nut 2"/52mm, but not that tight.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

some texas redneck posted:

Remember that account someone opened in my name with Verizon?

Remember I was told it was taken care of?

Called their fraud department when I got home, they said everything looked like it'd been taken care of properly on their end, and that it would take 1-2 billing cycles for it to be fixed. "Just ignore the bills", which sounds like really sound advice. :rolleyes:

15 minutes later, I get a call from a bill collector for the account. :fuckoff:

So if it has been reported and accepted as fraud.... HOW the gently caress dont they just immediatly cancel it?

1 or two billing cycles my rear end, sit on the phone and go up the supervisor chain until it's just fixed. That's just not acceptible.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Anime car, yay or nay?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Nay, Anime, not even once.

in other news, Theme hospital is free on origin. i guess i know what i will be spending the night doing.

you got it, i will be popping inflated heads

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Okay fair enough but what if someone gave you this Z4 for free, but only on the condition that you can not remove the anime stickers, paint over it or change its aesthetic in any way. Would you drive it around still or nah?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm kinda torn on anime cars, on one hand I love giant robots and poo poo like that. On the other hand I hate all the weirdo poo poo series' which are basically all based on pubescent schoolgirls which now seem to outnumber the 'good' stuff.

I'd drive this...

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

krampster2 posted:

Okay fair enough but what if someone gave you this Z4 for free, but only on the condition that you can not remove the anime stickers, paint over it or change its aesthetic in any way. Would you drive it around still or nah?

I'd probably put that particular Z4 straight into a wall anyway, so getting to wreck somebody else's anime car for free? Sign me up.

Also I know it's come and gone, but if you need snap ring pliers buy good ones. I've watched a gearbox tech hurl Cromwell's finest(!) pliers at the wall more than once trying to fit/remove a particularly awkward snap ring from a box. poo poo ones are easily one of the most frustrating tools to use and the extra ££ for good ones is more than made up in reducing your blood pressure.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 21, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

krampster2 posted:

I would race the hell out of it. Who cares what it looks like on the track because depending on the series it will be covered in dents, dings and tire marks within a season.

Someone tell me this is a bad idea - http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-318i/ I have a full S52 swap on hand...

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

88h88 posted:

I'm kinda torn on anime cars, on one hand I love giant robots and poo poo like that. On the other hand I hate all the weirdo poo poo series' which are basically all based on pubescent schoolgirls which now seem to outnumber the 'good' stuff.

I'd drive this...

This is basically how I feel too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

T1g4h posted:

As lovely as it sounds, this is sadly true. Back when I was doing graphic design for one of the local papers, we were basically encouraged to put the most dramatic, sensational, depressing poo poo on the front page because happy, cheery stories don't sell papers. Big, bold headlines and a tendency to focus on the negative, hosed up poo poo is what nets you attention and views :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzT10MSgKtU

Says it all really....

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK goons, car tax comedy!

I'm buying a parts car, which currently has tax on it. Of course, per the new rules, this tax ends when I buy it, so I have to tax it myself to drive it home. The act of using my new keeper supplement as reference for taxing it will tell them it's a new keeper, so let's you tax a car that is technically already taxed.

Now, I could also just declare SORN the instant I buy it, thus also ending the tax, and again, everyone's happy.

But if I take the car, drive it home (appearing legal to any ANPRS shenanigans, as the car is still showing as taxed on the books), then SORN it, I've technically broken the law, but how would they know?. There is absolutely no facility for them to see the time of day I bought the car, and if it's on my drive at 5pm, there is no way for them to tell whether it got there under the PO's stewardship (legal) or my own (illegal).

I asked the DVLA this. They didn't that much. The monotone "that would be your choice, sir" (i.e. "Bugger off you bloody munchkin rules lawyer") response indicated they'd had this one before.

Now, it's not worth even the minimal risk to me for the sake of a net cost of about £12, but it's a loving stupid system.

Why not just make it so the current month will run its course on purchase? (Yes, I know, because they make more money this way, but ughh).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Ehhh, drag it home on a trailer, take what you want, sell what you don't, cut the chassis up and scrap it with other junk.

Many of the parts cars I've had, as far as the state knew I never existed and neither did the last two people who had it, since they bought it as a parts car and dragged it home on a trailer without putting it in their name too. Hell they are probably still sending the tax bill to some guy 75 miles away and it's gone to china and come back as harbor freight socket sets by now.

All I do is make sure I get the signed title and that the VIN matches the paperwork.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

UK goons, car tax comedy!

I'm buying a parts car, which currently has tax on it. Of course, per the new rules, this tax ends when I buy it, so I have to tax it myself to drive it home. The act of using my new keeper supplement as reference for taxing it will tell them it's a new keeper, so let's you tax a car that is technically already taxed.

Now, I could also just declare SORN the instant I buy it, thus also ending the tax, and again, everyone's happy.

But if I take the car, drive it home (appearing legal to any ANPRS shenanigans, as the car is still showing as taxed on the books), then SORN it, I've technically broken the law, but how would they know?. There is absolutely no facility for them to see the time of day I bought the car, and if it's on my drive at 5pm, there is no way for them to tell whether it got there under the PO's stewardship (legal) or my own (illegal).

I asked the DVLA this. They didn't that much. The monotone "that would be your choice, sir" (i.e. "Bugger off you bloody munchkin rules lawyer") response indicated they'd had this one before.

Now, it's not worth even the minimal risk to me for the sake of a net cost of about £12, but it's a loving stupid system.

Why not just make it so the current month will run its course on purchase? (Yes, I know, because they make more money this way, but ughh).

Sounds like the issue is driving without taxing it so the obvious solution is to ghost ride it all the way home.

Won't you have the same deal with insuring it?
If you are planning on tearing it into parts then it doesn't seem worth insuring but you can't drive it home without insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's cheaper/easier to drive it rather than trailer it. Plus I don't have a trailer.

Insurance is fine, I don't mind that. It's just having to pay myself for tax that already exists that irritates me.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 21, 2015

• Locked thread