Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sanat sucks if you don't have a Physical MC (which I didn't), because in all likelihood it will just be you against him because he'll blow away all of your demons and you really need a good Gun skill. If you're able to keep your buffs/de-buffs up and not get unlucky about some of his Panic(I think that's what the ailment was called, it's been a while) preventing you from healing yourself then you just have to be patient and hope for the best.

Everyone else I was more or less OK with. Isn't the trick with Ancient of Days something where you prevent him from healing in the first place? E: Brand, that's what it's called. You have to abuse specific abilities for most of these fights, a lot of which come from the angels if I remember correctly. Masakado himself is actually really, really easy with a bit of prep-work; you make your team reflect his attacks, make your MC always smirked, and then tear him apart with Kannuki-Throw and Physical Pierce.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mentioned Brand. You can beat Ancient of Days by using it, but it doesn't follow a set pattern for how many turns it'll last. Hell, it could even dispel the same turn you used it which happened many times to me so he would just heal all of the damage I did back to himself anyways.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it worked the first time I tried the fight with Brand without dispelling, so I guess I just got lucky. I died about a million times on Sanat though, god I hated that guy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I think he doesn't heal as long as you don't hit his weaknesses? It's been a while though so I'm not sure

E: I read good

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 16, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Those battles sound like a lot of fun to me.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

someone explain this

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Persona 2 was way better than 3 or 4.

There you go.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
This is why you can't negotiate with non-demons. You'd try to fuse them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I see nothing wrong with that.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

MarsDragon posted:

Persona 2 was way better than 3 or 4.

There you go.

will verify this soon

that demon owns

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Excels posted:

someone explain this

Don't kinkshame.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Zoness posted:

I feel like there's nothing even difficult in the game on hard aside from minotaur, possibly medusa, and the fiend fights.

I almost failed the tutorial battle because I wasn't paying attn on Hard mode :v:

I played all the games on Normal but I wanted a change of pace. However, it's not really Hard as in the bosses are "smarter" but they just hit like a ton of bricks each time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

I almost failed the tutorial battle because I wasn't paying attn on Hard mode :v:

I played all the games on Normal but I wanted a change of pace. However, it's not really Hard as in the bosses are "smarter" but they just hit like a ton of bricks each time.

Yeah but realistically it's not like the boss has any AI complexity to add at all - it's just that you have to play "smarter" (i.e. use more buffs) to get through the same content on higher difficulties.

It's great - on hard mode I died 2-3 times negotiating my first demon. It's kind of bad in a way but I mean realistically difficulty translates to handling greater numbers of challenges.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 17, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Excels posted:

someone explain this

You know how Persona is based on psychology? That's the final boss for persona 2, and the people it's made up of are all dads.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

someone explain this

Quit being a bitch and play Persona 2

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
what is the best pre-ps2 SMT game?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Jack Bros.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, Persona 2 is a PS1 game. I'm not that familiar with the older SMT games.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
basically i'm looking for something i can emulate. persona 2 is on my list

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

SMT II would be another one I guess. I can't really think of any pre-PS2 SMT games that aren't horribly outdated. I love P2, but it's kinda hard to play today.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Excels posted:

someone explain this

Fivefold daddy issues made flesh, brought live to you by your friendly neighborhood crawling Chaos, Nyarlatothep.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Iceclaw posted:

Fivefold daddy issues made flesh, brought live to you by your friendly neighborhood crawling Chaos, Nyarlatothep.

God I love that whole final boss and ending sequence, actually. P2: Innocent Sin has some serious balls to make you fight the embodiment of Daddy issues, kill the heroine, and straight up destroy the world while Hitler mocks you for failing to accomplish anything and you are gently invited into the bleak oblivion of death.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Not gonna lie "While hitler mocks you should be applicable to way more video game scenes.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

rediscover posted:

basically i'm looking for something i can emulate. persona 2 is on my list

why not buy the Psp remake of Persona 2?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cdyoung posted:

why not buy the Psp remake of Persona 2?

Eternal Punishment PSP doesn't have an English version AFAIK.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It was never localized officially, though you can still buy the PS1 version and play it on a PS3 or Vita if you have an NA PSN account. I bet there's a fan translation out there by now if he wants to emulate on his computer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There were like 5 different fan translation projects for Eternal Punishment PSP but as far as I know they all pooled together now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Excels posted:

someone explain this

This is, as I recall, Basically Hitler.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Literally Hitler comes in the sequel :eng101:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Literally Hitler actually comes in the first Persona 2.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Cleretic posted:

Nah, in P2:IS Hitler is actually a manifestation of mass hysteria where conspiracy theories gain traction and start manifesting, and since rumors become real, the whole thing turns into an eternal feedback-loop of madness.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

Literally Hitler actually comes in the first Persona 2.

Really? I always get them confused :goleft:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All that does is remind me of how my little brother used a sharpie to circle Waldo on every page when we were kids :mad:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yea that's lovely, gently caress that

and the assholes what would circle waldo in the library copies

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If Stephen Hawking doesn't become a party member by the next game I at least want to summon him as a demon/Persona.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Neeksy posted:

Nah, in P2:IS Hitler is actually a manifestation of mass hysteria where conspiracy theories gain traction and start manifesting, and since rumors become real, the whole thing turns into an eternal feedback-loop of madness.

He was also a party member's dad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HGH posted:

If Stephen Hawking doesn't become a party member by the next game I at least want to summon him as a demon/Persona.

What arcana/race would Stephen Hawking be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Weakness: Status Effects