Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Nah, Hulu only.

I just checked, "End of the World" for example is 27 minutes on Netflix instead of 21 like the rest. I can't think of other DC examples, but I'm pretty sure they're all on there too, they just don't advertise them as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hey let's shut up about product placement! How about that!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pfft, mods in the pocket of Big Zantac :rolleyes:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I just got a Hulu subscription for my birthday, I didn't know they did DCs for TV shows.

Merauder posted:

I just checked, "End of the World" for example is 27 minutes on Netflix instead of 21 like the rest. I can't think of other DC examples, but I'm pretty sure they're all on there too, they just don't advertise them as such.

So do they just add bits whole, or are there key scenes that actually end up differently?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hey let's shut up about product placement! How about that!

Should be in the tviv rules, seems to happen in every thread I've ever followed. Although your reports would increase greatly!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

So do they just add bits whole, or are there key scenes that actually end up differently?
Some scenes are just a bit longer, with an extra bit of dialog or whatever but almost always add some good jokes.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Hail Zorp!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well done Terry

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Way harsh, Ron.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That building is where Ann gave me my first smoky-eyed look!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat Ron that's ice cold.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Blown away by those whittling skills.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?
The Office was about Michael slowly redeeming himself over time, Parks and Rec is the opposite with Leslie?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Khaleesi is marrying Jack Sparrow!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The claymore payoff. :stare:

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

:cry:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:(

E: :unsmith:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
How long does it take for these to show up on Hulu?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

The Office was about Michael slowly redeeming himself over time, Parks and Rec is the opposite with Leslie?

Leslie you are crazy as gently caress. I really want her to lose the national park bid but she won't.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Leslie and Ron was such a touching episode. Really don't want to say goodbye to this show :cry:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
That was was really great, and it was actually all one episode, which was nice. Really great callbacks in this.

My favorite little detail was the janitor is STILL listening to the same song.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Yeah, the first episode was kind of average for post-election Parks but that second half :3:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I can deal with Leslie being the villain because we never get to see the good guys this insane.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Loved the false emphasis on the Morningstar event, and all the shots for the reveal of Ron asking her for a job. The minute he mentioned not recognizing folks, it was pretty apparent where it was going, and everything was perfect to showcase how shut off Ron was. Even with the reconciliation at the end, it still left me with a lingering "poor Ron."

How many episodes are there this season? It'll be fun to see if they go for either the immediate team up or friendly competition angle on the main plot line.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

EatinCake posted:

Loved the false emphasis on the Morningstar event, and all the shots for the reveal of Ron asking her for a job. The minute he mentioned not recognizing folks, it was pretty apparent where it was going, and everything was perfect to showcase how shut off Ron was. Even with the reconciliation at the end, it still left me with a lingering "poor Ron."

How many episodes are there this season? It'll be fun to see if they go for either the immediate team up or friendly competition angle on the main plot line.

13 episodes total. There's only a month left, tops. :ohdear:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If the guy was a direct descendant of William Henry Harrison, he'd also be descended from Harrison's grandson President Benjamin Harrison, who actually managed to serve a full term. One term, but still, no mention of Benjamin Harrison in the episode.

:goonsay:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Except WHH had two kids.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Episode made me cry. I hope they can still do interesting stuff with Ron and the Leslie/Ron relationship; that felt like a pretty firm and good resolution and something I would've preferred to see in the final episode. Though, I guess resolving everyone else's stories with Leslie and Ron buddy-copping it along the way is a pretty good prospect too.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That was a pretty strong second half, I don't agree Leslie's the villain but it's cool she's acknowledged as being just as fallible as anyone else and actually the party at fault in the breakdown.

Also,

What a world that would be to live in :negative:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is astonishing how much the show has improved this season.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn't feel like the Harrison descendant bit went anywhere. Second episode redeemed though.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Annakie posted:

My favorite little detail was the janitor is STILL listening to the same song.

I loved this, and I loved that he was wearing headphones as if someone had complained about him sometime in between the first episode and the jump to the future.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Episode made me cry. I hope they can still do interesting stuff with Ron and the Leslie/Ron relationship; that felt like a pretty firm and good resolution and something I would've preferred to see in the final episode. Though, I guess resolving everyone else's stories with Leslie and Ron buddy-copping it along the way is a pretty good prospect too.

All it did was make me think 'if this is what they're doing this early in the season, how much am I gonna be bawling for the for-real finale?'

This was a drat great hour of television.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Prescient editor, or very, very late edition? Perhaps the latter, given the botched typesetting.

The second ep was just fantastic. There has to be another ten minutes of Amy freestyling 'We Didn't Start the Fire'.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That was pretty drat touching, Ron. :smith:

Anyway: :toot:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Ron and Leslie friendship has always been the number one reason to watch the show for me so that episode hit me extra hard in all the right ways. I love this show so much. :unsmith:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Zedd posted:

Anyway: :toot:

This and the Andy reaction to it were the biggest laugh for me over the hour.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
It's no surprise that people thought the second half of this was better. People like Parks when it's mindless feel good television, apparently. I felt this was a pretty hollow two parter.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

It's no surprise that people thought the second half of this was better. People like Parks when it's mindless feel good television, apparently. I felt this was a pretty hollow two parter.

Noted, forums poster Super Deuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I like Parks for any number of reasons. Heck, since rewatching through Season 6 for the 3rd time since 6 premiered my thoughts on the show have really changed.

I think it ends up being a natural evolution of these characters. Leslie was this eternal optimist in the beginning, but that's not sustainable. Especially not in government where there are so many factors at play. She loses in some episodes, she wins, she tries to be a rat-fink (especially after she enters the arena for elected office) but she ultimately doesn't compromise herself.

That's what that first episode was about. It shows how much Ron and Leslie have compromised their own values as part of this feud with one another. It's clear enough to everyone else, especially since it's starting to affect their actions as well, and that's why they force them to betray themselves. Do you think Ron Swanson or Leslie Knope from seasons 2 or 3 would have been OK with "quantity over quality?" Both of them choose the same approach their presentations and its against everything they've been portrayed as in earlier seasons. I think that Ron and Leslie's conversation about the interview is there to show the difference about then and now. Leslie didn't back down in the interview, but she also reflected and stepped back and provided an apology. Ron appreciated both of these actions and stepped back and said she should be hired.

Everyone complains about Leslie being mean, etc but she's just human. Sometimes being assertive can look OK and other times it comes off as bossy. Sometimes the person recognizes the difference, sometimes they don't.

No one has complained that Tom isn't any near as lecherous as he used to be, or that April shows compassion, or that Ron has allowed himself to find love and open himself up and admit that he has friends and that he misses them.

"Leslie and Ron" got me in the heart and it's because ultimately the friendships between these people are the real basis of the show. They're all fairly different, sometimes outright oppositional to another, but they care and I've found it to be pretty realistic. Even though it's 4 episodes in, the animosity between Leslie and Ron was so tense because we're invested in their friendship, no different than when you see two good friends that you know go through some tough poo poo.

The band is back together again and it'll be really interesting to see how that affects their plans, and what compromises and situations they'll get into.

I love this season.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 21, 2015

• Locked thread