Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Doing some work at a gun factory right now and the going to a tool factory to do another job over there. Cool poo poo. So many rifles everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

it's a loving stupid system...they make more money this way.

I very much doubt the chancellor would agree about it being a stupid system. :v: I wasn't aware of that new rule actually, I'll have to keep it in mind if I go car shopping.

As an aside, does the DVLA line have a hold facility yet, or does it still curtly cut you off if nobody's free to answer right that moment?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, they put you on hold, though it wouldn't surprise me if they do drop calls when it's too busy to deal with them all.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

If you tax it yourself and then cancel/sorn it a few hours later - do you end up paying for 1 full months tax as the minimum term? I haven't done one under the new system yet.

I assume that you could get a one-day insurance policy (that you would need to do anyway to drive it home legally), and specifically state that it is on someone else's car for a test drive or because you are borrowing it (you can do this).

Then drive it home, and don't actually 'buy' it until you get home.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

88h88 posted:

On the other hand I hate all the weirdo poo poo series' which are basically all based on pubescent schoolgirls which now seem to outnumber the 'good' stuff.

This reminds me, the anime club brought more poo poo over in a paper bag for us to throw in the library. The process for this is "we" have to view it to make sure there are no skips in the DVD before it gets shelved. Last semester in had a work study student watch some poo poo called Fruits Basket which is exactly what you described. They brought us some poo poo yesterday called Strawberry Panic that looks like more of the same poo poo. The only question now is which work study student is going to screw up first. We play a special kind of thunderdome except 8 students enter, 1 watches an anime series. 4 semesters ago the anime club brought 4-5 series in, there was a dude that hated me all semester. Poor Jeff, I still feel bad about the cruel and unusual punishment, but that's what happens when you roll the anime thunderdome bones. :(

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Someone tell me this is a bad idea - http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-318i/ I have a full S52 swap on hand...

So bad it's good. How is that thing only 2600 lb? I would have guessed those would be way heavier. No wonder the little 6 cylinder scoots them around so good.

I almost turned traitor on my beloved Volvos a while back, because I test drove an E30 convertible. It felt so fast, if it wasn't a poorly repaired high miler I might have been an E30 whore to this day.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 21, 2015

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I checked Facebook this morning and I lost a good friend yesterday. Feels real lovely.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would see if the previous owner would be willing to drive it to your place for the same it would cost to tax it just on principle. That way it's his plates, his insurance, his MOT, his tax, his placard, his badge, his sticker, citizen.

(slightly embellished)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Bought a whole bag of takis. Who wants to donate to my family in exchange for streaming me eating it all in one go?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Holdbrooks posted:

I checked Facebook this morning and I lost a good friend yesterday. Feels real lovely.

Lost meaning died or lost meaning he deleted you? I really dislike facebook most days. Im at the age where all my friends are getting married or having kids/buying houses so all they post about. I remember reading a study that said if all you read is positive stuff then it makes you feel bad because your life always has ups and downs but not many people will post the downs, unless theyre the "share too much" type.

I lost a friend of 8+ years once that I used to be in a band with. He was in a band after us and made a post how he missed those guys and blah blah blah. I made an obviously sarcastic "well im glad our band broke up you guys suck" comment and the next day he deleted me. Unfriending on facebook shouldn't mean that you arent friends IRL but yeah basically it means that, it hurt me.

I deleted my facebook for about a day but Im stuck on the thought that if someone from my past wants to contact me that would be the easiest way so I opened it back up. I stopped following a lot of friends that post baby crap (but not unfriended) and I took facebook off my bookmarks toolbar, it helped a lot.

edit: If your friend died then Im sorry thats even worse :( :glomp:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holdbrooks posted:

Sorry man.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Been fighting with my ISP over my shittastic speeds, they said it looked like my connection had a bad splice and sent a tech out. I'm at work so he dealt with my mom who knows nothing at all about computers. He convinced her that it was a "range problem" with the wireless and left a fancier router. Never checked the wiring, even though I told them the speed problem exists on the hardwired machines too.

gently caress I hate lovely lazy people that do anything possible to weasel out of doing their loving job. Now I have to all my ISP up again and bitch them out until they send a competent tech.

E: sorry to hear about your friend, Holdbrooks :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sorry to hear Holdbrooks :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

Sorry for your loss. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I would see if the previous owner would be willing to drive it to your place for the same it would cost to tax it just on principle. That way it's his plates, his insurance, his MOT, his tax, his placard, his badge, his sticker, citizen.

(slightly embellished)
Unlikely to happen, it's 100 miles away.

It's fine, the insurance isn't expensive, the net cost of paying the tax (paying a year's worth and refunding it) is also a minor amount, and it gives me and a mate a day out.

I'm annoyed about the effective double-dipping inherent to the new system, but it isn't actually enough of an impact to change what I do. Which is actually the sign of a properly instigated stealth tax or tax increase - don't hit people so hard they don't actually pay it.

Holdbrooks posted:

This thread's really on a downer this week.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

krampster2 posted:

Anime car, yay or nay?

I like Anime.

I hate this car and its paint job.

Holdbrooks posted:

God drat it 2015, this is why we can't have nice things.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

My condolences Holdbrooks, that loving sucks :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

LloydDobler posted:

So bad it's good. How is that thing only 2600 lb? I would have guessed those would be way heavier. No wonder the little 6 cylinder scoots them around so good.

I almost turned traitor on my beloved Volvos a while back, because I test drove an E30 convertible. It felt so fast, if it wasn't a poorly repaired high miler I might have been an E30 whore to this day.
I'm a huge E30 fan and constantly think about selling the VW to DD an E30. Then I remember the VW is reliable, quiet, comfortable and efficient so I keep the E30/E21/etc for fun driving.

Holdbrooks posted:

drat that's a lovely thing to return home to. Sorry Man

So the lovely snapchat I sent was a 3D printed (frame and body) shelby cobra that was sitting in the cafeteria at lunch. They covered it up shortly after we sat down to eat otherwise I would have sent better pictures. Anyway article says it was a collaboration between ORNL and Local Motors, has some cool pictures and videos - http://3dprint.com/36433/3d-printed-shelby-cobra/ 3D printing a frame would open up a lot of fun projects...other than the cost.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Game of Thrones is awesome and so are string orchestras, therefor this is double awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDlHdcfKbo

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

In California at least a private party can be a "dealer" out of their garage. The guy I bought my last motorcycle from was set up that way -- he'd buy, tune up and resell a couple of cars a month, but that was it. He was able to file all the registration paperwork himself just as if I'd bought the bike from a brick-and-mortar dealer, etc. Look into that?

I looked into that for PA. No-go. Sea of red tape, insurance and commercial property requirements. The used car industry must have a good lobby here.

kastein posted:

I've been using the hammer trick on balljoints/TREs, soft faced hammers on axleshafts, etc ever since. No issues.

I've only had that fail a few times, and when it has it's been easily taken care of by putting on a ball joint seperator like this:

Just give it some pressure, not enough to destroy things and then go back to hammering as your said. Hasn't failed yet.

cursedshitbox posted:

Hub seals? Meh. Beer 30 project. the bearing nut is like 2.5" though.

Yep.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Felt something give in my left hip playing da cau today, reminding me that I in fact was in an accident less than a week ago and that I probably should take it easy for a bit

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Oh god House of Cards in a little over a month I'm gonna be so drat unproductive end of February

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

Felt something give in my left hip playing da cau today, reminding me that I in fact was in an accident less than a week ago and that I probably should take it easy for a bit my rear end (and surrounding area) to a doctor.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's fine, I can put all my body on it w/o it collapsing it's just hurt like a motherfucker for a minute

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I gave them a week and the assholes I work for are still giving me the run around about seeing a Workers' Comp doctor. Called and left a message with our Union Workers' Comp Attorney. I'll probably get fired but this is just ridiculous at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I gave them a week and the assholes I work for are still giving me the run around about seeing a Workers' Comp doctor. Called and left a message with our Union Workers' Comp Attorney. I'll probably get fired but this is just ridiculous at this point.

Not to make you feel bad, but based on the injury, either you are getting fired for seeking help or getting let go due to the injury

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The house about three houses down from my sister in law burned down last night. Apparently somebody threw a molotov cocktail through the front window.

That's pretty hosed up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

Oh god House of Cards in a little over a month I'm gonna be so drat unproductive end of February
Don't kid yourself, you know you'll marathon in in a weekend or less. I just finished up season 2 then a few hours later saw the trailer for season 3. Looks pretty good.

CornHolio posted:

The house about three houses down from my sister in law burned down last night. Apparently somebody threw a molotov cocktail through the front window.

That's pretty hosed up.

Understatement of the year

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CornHolio posted:

That's pretty hosed up.
I dunno, there are some people I'd love to do that to. They richly deserve it... but I don't do poo poo like that, so I just hope one of the people they hosed over will do it to them and not get caught.

rscott posted:

It's fine, I can put all my body on it w/o it collapsing it's just hurt like a motherfucker for a minute

You should probably get an X-ray dude, one of my coworkers slipped last winter while training for a marathon, didn't even actually fall, and fractured her pelvis. Didn't realize for a number of weeks that it was fractured.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

I dunno, there are some people I'd love to do that to. They richly deserve it... but I don't do poo poo like that, so I just hope one of the people they hosed over will do it to them and not get caught.

Four people were injured, one critically. I'm thinking it was random. It's at the corner of my sister-in-law's street and a pretty major street that, further down, does through a fairly unsavory part of town (read: bullet holes in the siding of most houses).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My brother in law's neighborhood is kind of run-down and lovely. A house on the other side of the street a few houses down had a furnace explosion last year, moved the adjacent houses off their foundations and everything.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Depending on the state, it's against the law to fire somebody because of an injury obtained while on the job.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Not to make you feel bad, but based on the injury, either you are getting fired for seeking help or getting let go due to the injury

Well it'd be pretty impossible to fire me, but they can lay me off if they want, in which case it's 6 months of unenjoyment checks for me.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
After having my Samsung Galaxy S5 in for repairs 7 out of the 14 weeks ive owned it, i finally was able to return it yesterday. after getting poo poo at every time i have talked to the clerks at the local outlet for my provider, and having to go to corporate to finally be able to return the phone and terminating my contract i handed the phone over to the guy in the shop. He asked "what phone should we pick out for you today?, i pointed over to the other side of the mall, where the other major provider in Norway have a shop and told him to pound sand. I picked up a Iphone 6+ and signed over the contract for me and the wife to the other provider. the phone call form my original providers "customer retaining squad" was pretty fun.

Holy gently caress, i need bigger pockets.

IKEA also had a special on LED bulbs for the downlights we have in almost every room, down to about 7 bucks from originally 30 dollars a pop. I have spent the last hours replacing bulbs. Hopefully the LEDs last longer then regular bulbs. im tired of swapping 3-5 bulbs a week.

Im not trying to write a STR like saga, but i also found the weird sound in the G500 today. I have had a weird rattle from under the car lately. took down some exhaust shielding and found a 13mm spanner. remounted the shield and no more noise.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

After having my Samsung Galaxy S5 in for repairs 7 out of the 14 weeks ive owned it, i finally was able to return it yesterday. after getting poo poo at every time i have talked to the clerks at the local outlet for my provider, and having to go to corporate to finally be able to return the phone and terminating my contract i handed the phone over to the guy in the shop. He asked "what phone should we pick out for you today?, i pointed over to the other side of the mall, where the other major provider in Norway have a shop and told him to pound sand. I picked up a Iphone 6+ and signed over the contract for me and the wife to the other provider. the phone call form my original providers "customer retaining squad" was pretty fun.

:psyduck: I think you just got a lemon. I've had the S4 for 2 years and now the S5. Anecdotal, I know, but 7 repairs? Should've demanded a new phone.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Started the bmw up at work today and the exhaust is hammering off the underbody like a giant vibrator, it wasn't this morning so what gives? gently caress it until it either falls off or the weather gets nicer.

Also, I love my wife dearly and she is a great cook, but she cannot cook a steak. I'm going to cook the next one myself.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

Also, I love my wife dearly and she is a great cook, but she cannot cook a steak. I'm going to cook the next one myself.

We started doing the grill and bake method lately. It works amazing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm going to preemptively say this so we can get the steak sperging over with.

sous de vide

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
There is nothing quite like leaving work early to sit in my lounge chair on the front porch with a beer and a cigar. Granted the cigar is just Black and Mild woodtip but I didn't feel like driving to the cigar shop for something nicer.

I need a vacation. PAX East cannot come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm going to preemptively say this so we can get the steak sperging over with.

sous de vide

#54: Kitchen Gadgets - http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/05/54-kitchen-gadgets/

Sous vide is that to the next level of buying unnecessary poo poo just to say,"Yup, that's a pretty good steak."

• Locked thread