Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

both Melee and Smash 4 are cool video games and I'm looking forward to watching both of them at Evo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Smash at Evo always seemed like an honorable mention slot, but if they're doubling down I guess it's officially a real fighting game at the world's premiere fighting game tournament.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

F. Lobot posted:

I guess it's officially a real fighting game

I dunno if you noticed, but the core gameplay mechanic is fighting

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Even though I don't really care about competitive Melee, it's actually kinda cool that both it and Smash Wii U can appear on the main stage together. Will definitely be keeping a closer eye on Wii U though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

both Melee and Smash 4 are cool video games and I'm looking forward to watching both of them at Evo

same

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
The Smash community has no high horse from which to criticize the FGC and vice versa.

We should learn we can like more than one version of a series. People still play SSF2 Turbo without killing Ultra SF4.

Kaubocks posted:

I don't like watching them at the top end but if I could go I'd be happy to play both.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The thing about the fighting game community, every single franchise fans hate each other. Calling it a singular community is a lie, honestly. Even subsets of a franchise like Smash and Street Fighter hate each other internally.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

The thing about the fighting game community, every single franchise fans hate each other. Calling it a singular community is a lie, honestly. Even subsets of a franchise like Smash and Street Fighter hate each other internally.

This, SF fans consider smash and blaz blue to be not real games

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yeah, all five people who play blaz blue are really fired up about that

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I love seeing Boss play luigi at xanadu. That guy is better than anyone else I've seen except maybe for zero, and seeing luigi win is always great.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I love seeing Boss play luigi at xanadu. That guy is better than anyone else I've seen except maybe for zero, and seeing luigi win is always great.

That first round dumpster smash at the grand finals :allears:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm really glad that people who have practiced Smash for over a decade will be able to showcase their skills and share a very fun and spectateable series on the grandest stage of all fighting games

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

This, SF fans consider smash and blaz blue to be not real games

GG is back, BB demoted back to Not Real

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

GG is back, BB demoted back to Not Real

But Persona 4, babby's first GG is also there

what does this mean

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
FGC should teach it's announcers not to scream at every other hit and that not everyone can be Yipes.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

TheKingofSprings posted:

But Persona 4, babby's first GG is also there

what does this mean

It means Persona 4 is A Really Good Game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Lmao you think the pro smash 4 players are doing it for fun

I mean there's that but also a big bag of money

It explains why people played Street Fighter X Tekken at least.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

And the blast zones and offscreen zones aren't very clear

I barely know but from what i can see: the green box is as far as the camera will go; if you have solid ground or a platform out there your character will be fine and you'll have that UI view of your character in a circle pointing offscreen. I'm pretty sure the blast zones are the darker zones you can't draw on. They're way bigger in this game to encourage recovery and the only way to circumvent this is to build a stage on Small when possible.

I kinda don't care though. I just wanna remake Fourside with lava everywhere to look like neon and call it Moonside.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Welp, I'm going to Evo this year for sure. I'll probably enter both games.

Edit: I'll pretty much be playing everything except Tekken, KI and MKX now that I think about it, because I play all of the rest of the games on the list.

laplace fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 21, 2015

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Other Project M and melee are a lot more hype to watch than Smash 4 because of the pace and the combo factor, I think.

Combo styling is just more fun than footsies to grab-uairs, or if you're sonic, spin dash to uair or bair.

Edit: and I really like Smash 4.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 21, 2015

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Finally, tangible proof that He is My Friend.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is the best match I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvU5RQ-nJog

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Just when you think he's done for, the Dark King unleashes his evil schemes and emerges the victor.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That pikachu has some good moves

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That Pikachu had some really good moves. I got nothing but respect for people that main Ganon and persevere through all kinds of speedy pokey bullshit and just stomp fuckers into hell.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
That Pikachu was fun to watch when he was rolling. Also when he was getting powerbombed straight down to hell.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I was not aware that TAS technology was available on the Wii U.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

didn't know pikachu could fly in this game

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A48D_wfvWk

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This is actually more obnoxious than funny

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oh man, the comebacks! He knew just where Japanese ESAM that Pikachu was gonna be at the end there.
That Pikachu was really good, but there's nothing finer than a well-read Ganondunk.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Are there any particularly good R.O.B. players out there with videos showing off their skills? I'd like to get better with him.

Dunno if anyone cares since most of you have either completed all the challenges or never cared, but for anyone who's tried and succeeded at the "Clear Classic on 9.0 without dying once" challenge, how many tries did it take you? I finally finished it a couple weeks back, but it took me forever. I used Bowser and honestly, playing him so much actually has made me better at the game. I know playing against the A.I. leads to bad habits because they read inputs and so forth, but before this, I never really used tilts or aerials too much, instead relying on B moves and smashes, and I've been playing since Smash 64. Getting frustrated forced me to try new things, and now I always try my aerials and tilts out to see what's good. p.s. Bowser's forward and down tilts are pretty sick.

Playing so much Classic also helped me get nearly every goddamn trophy in the game, and a ton of custom moves, so there's that. By the way, I ended up giving him an Auto-Heal Brawn Badge, a ton more attack power, and just enough defense to not fall into the negative. I kept his speed relatively low because he's slow anyway, but enough so his jumps wouldn't be gimped for Master Fortress. After so much RNG bullshit, using a Brawler Bowser instead of a Defense oriented Bowser helped a lot. You might as well do as much damage as you can, 'cause you're gonna die to that Dragoon, Daybreak, Bob-omb, Hammer, Golden Hammer, Gust Bellows, Boss Galaga, or Beetle anyway! :downs: Also made taking out Master Core's various forms a lot easier.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I'm still praying they'll add like a 'Alpha mode' which keeps the stage the same but removes any Ridles or Yellow Devils or things that can kill you stupidly like that.
It's hopeless though.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Reinanigans posted:

Are there any particularly good R.O.B. players out there with videos showing off their skills? I'd like to get better with him.

He may not be the biggest name out there but here's a vid of a friend of mine using ROB to beat me silly at a recent tournament.

If that's not good enough for you, there are other heroes like Squeak and Chibo you can learn from.

To summarize:
Use lots of neutral air. It hits hard, it has a wide range and it ends quickly. Its only drawback is that it has some startup time.
The gyro respawns as soon as it disappears so don't be afraid to use it relentlessly.
Upsmash is good now.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I'm still praying they'll add like a 'Alpha mode' which keeps the stage the same but removes any Ridles or Yellow Devils or things that can kill you stupidly like that.
It's hopeless though.

Sakurai hates people who like to develop skill and will never allow us to have that much fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, Sakurai is extremely anti-skill. He regularly says things like "I hate people who are l33t, and very powerful at video games."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TenaciousJ posted:

Sakurai hates people who like to develop skill and will never allow us to have that much fun.

I'm totally down with stage hazards, but Ridley and Yellow Devil are TOO intrusive. As someone who wouldn't really be okay with a lot of stage hazards going away, those two aren't really fun of anyone. Do even casual party players like the Yellow Devil?

If Ridley worked more like Metalface, where he flew in and hosed poo poo up for a brief time then left instead of becoming a teammate, that'd be awesome

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I dunno, I've never actually tried to have a normal Smash fight on Pyrosphere. Whenever it comes up with me and my friend, we're always like okay, truce - let's team up and beat Ridley's rear end as long as he's on screen. That makes it a lot more bearable than just trying to have a normal fight and getting annoyed when Ridley interrupts.

Sure, that makes it totally unsuitable for when you do just wanna smash each other, but just take it out of the random stage picker and only ever go to it if you feel like doing a boss-fight-type thing instead. You may never feel like that, and that's cool too. :v:

That said I would also enjoy an Alpha mode that just got rid of the hazards. All-Star on 3DS (I don't think it does on Wii U) actually does that, so the programming's there in some capacity.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Macaluso posted:

I'm totally down with stage hazards, but Ridley and Yellow Devil are TOO intrusive. As someone who wouldn't really be okay with a lot of stage hazards going away, those two aren't really fun of anyone. Do even casual party players like the Yellow Devil?

If Ridley worked more like Metalface, where he flew in and hosed poo poo up for a brief time then left instead of becoming a teammate, that'd be awesome

I was replying to that alpha mode thing. I'm fine with stage hazards as long as I have a variety of stages where I do not have to deal with them when I don't want to. If I'm with a bunch of buddies and we're getting drunk while we play 4+ player free for alls, bring on the dumb poo poo we can laugh at.

Wild Knight posted:

I dunno, I've never actually tried to have a normal Smash fight on Pyrosphere. Whenever it comes up with me and my friend, we're always like okay, truce - let's team up and beat Ridley's rear end as long as he's on screen. That makes it a lot more bearable than just trying to have a normal fight and getting annoyed when Ridley interrupts.

Sure, that makes it totally unsuitable for when you do just wanna smash each other, but just take it out of the random stage picker and only ever go to it if you feel like doing a boss-fight-type thing instead. You may never feel like that, and that's cool too. :v:

That said I would also enjoy an Alpha mode that just got rid of the hazards. All-Star on 3DS (I don't think it does on Wii U) actually does that, so the programming's there in some capacity.

I love the music on the pyrosphere and I'm a little sad my friends will never play it because of Ridley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i don't think i've ever willingly chosen pyrosphere

• Locked thread