Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Yuuma chasing down the Arios may have been the standard 'mating snakes' animation-saving technique, but it did seem to have a little something extra to it.

"Mating snakes" is the best description of that technique that I've ever heard :allears:.

edit: Holy poo poo, there's coherent English on the PPSE Stadium monument.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So from the brackets we know that Team Try is going to fight the renato triplets next, followed by Junya's team afterwards. The gunpla academy doesn't look like they have any known fights before the semi-finals. Karima is going to end up jobbing to the nemesis boy in the final round of their pools unless he jobs first somehow. And minato should sail easily in their own pool. I'm guessing it'll be Minato's team vs Team Try and Nemesis vs Academy in the semi finals and then the obvious final.

I like those brackets, mostly because it means we'll get to see more of Lucas and Minato, rather than having them drop out quickly and the Renato triplets will be gone soon. I'm sure their fight will be cool, but every other scene of them is apparently just going to be them standing there and dryly observing things in the most boring manner possible so the sooner they're gone the better frankly. I'm wondering though if anyone like Chairman Mashita is going to show up to disrupt events and give the show something more than just a tournament to worry about eventually. I'm assuming it will, but I can't recall how early the Chairman was introduced in the first season.

What do folks think the odds are on a Team Try v Team Build Fighters match in the final episode with Sekai/Yuuki, Fumina/Lady and Yuuma/Sei facing off?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I love that Sakai's gunpla comes from a completely different show/genre, it reinforces the Shingyo school method being "just go nuts, whatever"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I love that Sakai's gunpla comes from a completely different show/genre, it reinforces the Shingyo school method being "just go nuts, whatever"

Nah, we've had ridiculous super robot Gundams before. I don't think we've had a literal Eldran-style combiner but that sort of thing is pretty common and Sakai already showed he liked SD Gundams who have a lot of super elements on their own.

It's still great though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, let's go way back to this episode.

Episode 5, back when the regionals tournament just began. This episode's fight was a pretty obvious callback to it, all the way down to Sekai's finishing money shot.

And frankly? This episode read a lot like 'Yeah, let's do it right this time.'

Also agreeing with every one else that the elevator scene was one of the best scenes in the whole series.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

GN-003 Gundam Kyrios (00)
GAT-X370 Raider Gundam (SEED)
RX-110 Gabthley (Zeta)
GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam (SEED)
ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam (Destiny)
PMX-000 Messala (Zeta)

Holy poo poo, that episode was amazing. If this is what we have to look forward to in the second half, I'm more than happy the old writer is back. Everything was great, there was actual teamwork, people were Gundam fans, Sakai is around being the best, and the GP-01 Fb is showing off vicariously through the Lightning Fb. I couldn't ask for more.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Holy poo poo, that episode was amazing. If this is what we have to look forward to in the second half, I'm more than happy the old writer is back. Everything was great, there was actual teamwork, people were Gundam fans, Sakai is around being the best, and the GP-01 Fb is showing off vicariously through the Lightning Fb. I couldn't ask for more.

Anyone else feel really bad for the jobber team? I enjoyed the episode a lot, but I couldn't help but wish they'd spent a few seconds making the faceless goons seem like assholes, because they got wrecked embarrassingly hard. They didn't put a scratch on the Try fighters, or even seem to make them... well... try at all.

It probably doesn't help that Sekai's finisher probably left that one guy's gunpla as a fine powder when the fight ended. They even rubbed it in by posing in unison.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Also agreeing with every one else that the elevator scene was one of the best scenes in the whole series.

Well to be fair it's only got about two or three episodes worth of competition in BFT though. That said, it really was something magical :allears:.

Caros posted:

Anyone else feel really bad for the jobber team? I enjoyed the episode a lot, but I couldn't help but wish they'd spent a few seconds making the faceless goons seem like assholes, because they got wrecked embarrassingly hard. They didn't put a scratch on the Try fighters, or even seem to make them... well... try at all.

It probably doesn't help that Sekai's finisher probably left that one guy's gunpla as a fine powder when the fight ended.

Not really. That Kyrios really did seem like it would've been a nasty three-minute threat until The Lightning Full Burnen came after it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Caros posted:

It probably doesn't help that Sekai's finisher probably left that one guy's gunpla as a fine powder when the fight ended.
After pretty much every show/game/whatever has done it like this I just live with it.
"Oh man these new guys where really good last year" > effortless defeat to show off new merchandise > man our heroes are awesome!

That said I really enjoyed the fight none the less, simple but good stuff like Yuuma helping Sekai launch off his feet, alluding to them practicing teamwork.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Caros posted:

It probably doesn't help that Sekai's finisher probably left that one guy's gunpla as a fine powder when the fight ended. They even rubbed it in by posing in unison.

eh same thing happened when the SBS first showed up. gotta show off how cool the new models are (and let's face it they looked pretty sweet).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
My favorite aspect of the Star Winning is how it still appears to fundamentally be a support unit, but it's an entirely different style of support than its original form. It seems to be focused around being incredibly debilitating to the opponent; disabling their weapons so they can't fight back, pinning them in place, blocking beams, etc. which are all fantastic ways to set up for the titanic battering ram that is the Try Burning, but that style of support is still really loving useful and dangerous to her opponents even when she can't necessarily rely on her teammates to push the kill through. It's pretty awesome.

Lightning FB is also an interesting development. Yuuma originally started the show as Cool Sniper Guy archetype but as his suit has developed he's moved farther and farther away from being Sniper Guy and more into fulfilling the team's Speedy Guy role. With the FB it looks like he's basically the team's skirmisher/overwatch guy now, which is what everyone thought Fumina would be back when they originally formed the team.

They actually feel like they have a team dynamic now, which is a huge leg up from the beginning of the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

My favorite aspect of the Star Winning is how it still appears to fundamentally be a support unit, but it's an entirely different style of support than its original form. It seems to be focused around being incredibly debilitating to the opponent; disabling their weapons so they can't fight back, pinning them in place, blocking beams, etc. which are all fantastic ways to set up for the titanic battering ram that is the Try Burning, but that style of support is still really loving useful and dangerous to her opponents even when she can't necessarily rely on her teammates to push the kill through. It's pretty awesome.

Lightning FB is also an interesting development. Yuuma originally started the show as Cool Sniper Guy archetype but as his suit has developed he's moved farther and farther away from being Sniper Guy and more into fulfilling the team's Speedy Guy role. With the FB it looks like he's basically the team's skirmisher/overwatch guy now, which is what everyone thought Fumina would be back when they originally formed the team.

They actually feel like they have a team dynamic now, which is a huge leg up from the beginning of the show.

I still like to think the writing team has staged a rebellion and locked whoever's responsible for the first half of the series in a closet somewhere :allears:. It's nice that we're back to seeing random customs and rare Gundams amongst the cannon fodder teams again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I (so far) really like the Star Winning Gundam. Using funnels as a debilitating/debuffing sort of thing is a great idea and it makes her look useful and dangerous instead of 'lol, gonna turn into parts' like before.

I still get the idea they're having trouble animating the SD Gundam in combat but using funnels is a good way to get around that.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Raider Lagoon
Salty Kyrios
Screw Gabthley

I like team Amorphous' style when it comes to naming their gunpla.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kanos posted:

The site still says that the winning can support the other units so I'm still expecting at least some form of backpack fuckery with the other units. The thigh packs definetly look like they can hook up with Lightnings FB rifle and I'm assuming the the forearms pack will do something with the burning, or maybe the shuriken bits will. I'm allso fully expecting it to get blown up at least once just to show that its head is still a core fighter. The big question is, when is it going to use the real mode for the first time?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Winners for the latest gunpla competitions have been announced. They're going to make it in as cameos again, apparently.

Edit: And the chosen Gundam from the voted top ten is apparently Xi Gundam.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 21, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The site still says that the winning can support the other units so I'm still expecting at least some form of backpack fuckery with the other units. The thigh packs definetly look like they can hook up with Lightnings FB rifle and I'm assuming the the forearms pack will do something with the burning, or maybe the shuriken bits will. I'm allso fully expecting it to get blown up at least once just to show that its head is still a core fighter. The big question is, when is it going to use the real mode for the first time?

Fumina will get separated from her teammates and placed in a life or death situation, and then she'll bust it out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Green Intern posted:

Fumina will get separated from her teammates and placed in a life or death situation, and then she'll bust it out.

Yeah but Im not seeing that happen against the triplets unless for some reason the other two are getting owned. The Junya fight should be Sekai's and Minato's should be mostly Yuuma's unless they decide to have Fumina+Yuma break poor Sakai's lonely heart.

Pureauthor posted:

Edit: And the chosen Gundam from the voted top ten is apparently Xi Gundam.
Xi gundam was one of the coolest looking one and it shouldn't cause the animation team to commit suicide but what are they going to classify it as? Its in that grey area where its huge by normal suit standards but not that big to be a mobile armor.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 21, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Sakai went out and bought a pair of glasses that matches Yuuma's completely just so he can better pretend that he's his own rival to make fun of him.

That boy needs help.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sakai went out and bought a pair of glasses that matches Yuuma's completely just so he can better pretend that he's his own rival to make fun of him.

That boy needs help.
On the other hand, long live the era of rivals with personality!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Xi gundam was one of the coolest looking one and it shouldn't cause the animation team to commit suicide but what are they going to classify it as? Its in that grey area where its huge by normal suit standards but not that big to be a mobile armor.

It's 26 meters tall, which makes it an extremely large mobile suit but not Mobile Armor sized or anything. For reference the original RX-78-2 is 18.5 meters, the Nu Gundam is 23m, the Sazabi is 25.6m, and the Psyco Gundam is 41m.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The three winners of the Gunpla contests are the GP-AL, a GP-03 with Albion parts strapped on, a Unicorn recoloured to match 'standard' Gundam colouration, and what appears to be a Sazabi remodeled to look like Char in Gundam Breaker.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Caros posted:

This is true. I'm sure whatever that thing looks like now, its not pretty. Also I hope the gunpla he hit with the Phoenix Fist doesn't look like someone shoved it in a microwave. :ohdear:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is true. I'm sure whatever that thing looks like now, its not pretty. Also I hope the gunpla he hit with the Phoenix Fist doesn't look like someone shoved it in a microwave. :ohdear:

I'd love to see the typical gundam pacifism being applied to gunpla albeit just momentarily before going "gently caress it just build a new one".

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This episode was great. Star Winning is cool and I can't wait to see its main gimmick in action, and the Lightning Full Burnern (I'm certain that was supposed to be "Vernier") is a Tallgeese in spirit and thus acceptable over the boring Lightning. Sekai and Build Burning are still Sekai and Build Burning and who gives a poo poo.

Also I like that Lady is turning out to be just as much of a loon as Yuuki is rather than them trying to play her up as a no nonsense, cool type of character. And the gags of nobody calling Allan what he wants and nobody remembering Karima are still amusing.

The meijin really did save BF Try.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You are right about the heat/microwave effect I'm afraid. Realizing that it also makes Sekai the most dickhead opponent to loose to.
Even the most wrecked Gunpla in s1 where still somewhat in part-like shapes. Just shattered and dented and broken. Sekai could potentially melt the losers gunpla into a plastic blob.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zedd posted:

You are right about the heat/microwave effect I'm afraid. Realizing that it also makes Sekai the most dickhead opponent to loose to.
Even the most wrecked Gunpla in s1 where still somewhat in part-like shapes. Just shattered and dented and broken. Sekai could potentially melt the losers gunpla into a plastic blob.

Eh, I don't necessarily see why getting vaporized by Particle Phoenix would necessarily be any meaner to your gunpla than being vaporized by a Hi Mega Cannon or a Buster Rifle or something.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

chumbler posted:

(I'm certain that was supposed to be "Vernier")

Say hello to a legacy of engrish.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also when we got the flashback of Sudou's only participation in the Nationals his Gunpla was a shattered ruin and honestly could not be feasibly put back together.

Caros
May 14, 2008

chumbler posted:

This episode was great. Star Winning is cool and I can't wait to see its main gimmick in action, and the Lightning Full Burnern (I'm certain that was supposed to be "Vernier") is a Tallgeese in spirit and thus acceptable over the boring Lightning. Sekai and Build Burning are still Sekai and Build Burning and who gives a poo poo.

Also I like that Lady is turning out to be just as much of a loon as Yuuki is rather than them trying to play her up as a no nonsense, cool type of character. And the gags of nobody calling Allan what he wants and nobody remembering Karima are still amusing.

The meijin really did save BF Try.

Burnern is a hold over from 0083's GP-01 FB. They upgraded it for space combat and called it "Full Burnern" in a translation and it stuck even though it makes precisely zero sense when thought about for more than a moment.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp I actually missread Karima's team, he's actually had the bad luck to fall into one of the lower seeds and then immediately after that has to fight the gunpla academy. Im sorry Sugita, you wont even get to the quarter finals.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Welp I actually missread Karima's team, he's actually had the bad luck to fall into one of the lower seeds and then immediately after that has to fight the gunpla academy. Im sorry Sugita, you wont even get to the quarter finals.

The joke will be complete if he gets a bye on the first round because his opponent forgot he had a match against Sugita that day.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Burnern/Vernier

I honestly thought Yuuma was saying Bunion.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I enjoy that Sakai and the ZZ-Brave 3 exist because of the fact that we now have a more absurd Gunpla to explain than the Amazing Red Warrior, which is a custom variant of a suit that showed up in a 30-year-old manga which in itself was a custom variant of a not-shown-in-anime canon variant of the original Gundam.

"Okay, so, this is a custom version of a suit based off this Gundam but ALSO it references two other unrelated mecha series AND this is a variant of a variant that only showed up in an arcade card strategy game."

Monathin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 21, 2015

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The other thing about Perfect Gundam 3 is that it's a legendary modelling subject. Meijin went and did a minimalist Char colored Gundam. And did it SO WELL that nobody calls him on making a Char Custom Gundam.

It's a Meijin Custom now. :kamina:

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 21, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Lightning FB definitely seems to fit better with Yuuma's character. He's stiff and unimaginative, but a genius builder. It fits for him to have a relatively conventional, gimmick-light machine with godly performance.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i want to see the ninja seraphim from the preview in action right now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The Lightning FB definitely seems to fit better with Yuuma's character. He's stiff and unimaginative, but a genius builder. It fits for him to have a relatively conventional, gimmick-light machine with godly performance.

Lightning FB probably has a hidden gimmick. We know Winning and Build Try absolutely will be pulling out trump cards later on and I can't imagine he won't have one for his inevitable rival fights.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That boy needs help.

He's a kid with a crush. Be honest, we all did dumb poo poo like that at his age. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Lightning FB probably has a hidden gimmick. We know Winning and Build Try absolutely will be pulling out trump cards later on and I can't imagine he won't have one for his inevitable rival fights.

I bet he'll have perfected the autonomous backpack thing Sei tried to do with the Build mkII.

In other words he's going to pull a Seraphim. :v:

• Locked thread