Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Boehner has invited Netanyahu to address Congress about the threat of Iran.

The time window is small, since Netanyahu might not be PM for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Venom Snake posted:

That's why people like him, because many are tired of politicians who put on a act and come off as being bleep bloop robots. See: The Entire Republican Party.

I want the source to your avatar. I collect pictures of Big Boss, see.

Vvv Immeasurably dope, thank you. Have a return gift of Yoji Shinkawa drawing Big Boss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mcl3LATjhs

(Also, replace the img with timg in your code!)

Armani fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 21, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

He will just invite Nutters replacement

Armani posted:

I want the source to your avatar. I collect pictures of Big Boss, see.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

ufarn posted:

The GOP in Congress and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard pretty much deserve each other.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "There is a chance", Joe Biden, on running for President.

I would vote for Joe :getin:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Much like the whole Cuba situation the whole "Forever Enemies" thing with Iran is not long for this world as we are already cooperating with them on taking down ISIL. I honestly wouldn't mind another Iraqi freedom (minus the whole staying part) if it allowed us to become buds with Iran.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!

ufarn posted:

Oh that's cool. I remember reading about Bibi declaring early elections so he could get rid of Yair Lapid; is that going to backfire on him? I hope it does :allears: Is the Mideast thread covering Israeli politics at all? The I/P thread seems like a bad place to get caught up on it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Venom Snake posted:

Much like the whole Cuba situation the whole "Forever Enemies" thing with Iran is not long for this world as we are already cooperating with them on taking down ISIL. I honestly wouldn't mind another Iraqi freedom (minus the whole staying part) if it allowed us to become buds with Iran.

As long as Saudi Arabia is a stable state I doubt we're going to see much long term success on that front.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

computer parts posted:

As long as Saudi Arabia is a stable state I doubt we're going to see much long term success on that front.

Probably not, but I don't see why anybody would begrudge us re-opening a very basic diplomacy with Iran. The Saudis know we're going to stay in bed.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

computer parts posted:

Could the fact that the US upped its oil production possibly reduce the leverage Saudi Arabia has on the US' Iran policies?

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 21, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

loquacius posted:

Oh that's cool. I remember reading about Bibi declaring early elections so he could get rid of Yair Lapid; is that going to backfire on him? I hope it does :allears: Is the Mideast thread covering Israeli politics at all? The I/P thread seems like a bad place to get caught up on it

There is apparently a widespread belief in Israel that Bibi is seriously threatening national security by weakening the alliance with the United States for no good reason. Which has a lot of merit to it: Bibi has been pointlessly antagonistic to Obama and Kerry, and openly advocated for Romney which was a seriously dumb decision.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

There is apparently a widespread belief in Israel that Bibi is seriously threatening national security by weakening the alliance with the United States for no good reason. Which has a lot of merit to it: Bibi has been pointlessly antagonistic to Obama and Kerry, and openly advocated for Romney which was a seriously dumb decision.

Wasn't it BiBi who also made the comments along the lines that they only need the US long enough to become a superpower :allears:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

loquacius posted:

The I/P thread actually isn't horrendous this time and has some good effort posts about the election. I credit the general disinterest in I/P right now. There are still your intermittent arguments about who is/isn't The Real Antisemite but that's unavoidable. I/P poo poo is kept out of the Middle East thread.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Wasn't it BiBi who also made the comments along the lines that they only need the US long enough to become a superpower :allears:

Oh wouldn't I love to be Obama for just a quick phonecall with Netanyahu. I feel like that guy needs a lot of things very patiently explained to him.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Well if the price of Oil keeps dropping we might not have to wait to long.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “They were ugly, they were slimy, and they were creepy. And I’ve not gotten over that. So to elevate them to the status of being the state amphibian, I’m not there yet.” ~ Ken Andrus (R-Lava Hot Springs) on why he voted against a grade schooler's proposal to make the Idaho giant salamander the state amphibian.

It was Ilah Hickman's (age 14) fifth attempt at official recognition for the salamander, but the Idaho House State Affairs committee voted 10-6 against, many out of fear that official recognition would bring with it increased protections of the salamander from the federal government.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
With regard to the falling oil prices, has there been any actual hard information on how this is affecting the fracking boom and all of the various oil booms across the country? Specifically, I wonder how things are looking for the Texas Miracle, which (I believe) was based on a fossil fuel economy.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doesn't seem all that creepy to me

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “They were ugly, they were slimy, and they were creepy. And I’ve not gotten over that. So to elevate them to the status of being the state amphibian, I’m not there yet.” ~ Ken Andrus (R-Lava Hot Springs) on why he voted against a grade schooler's proposal to make the Idaho giant salamander the state amphibian.

At least they aren't icky.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SquadronROE posted:

With regard to the falling oil prices, has there been any actual hard information on how this is affecting the fracking boom and all of the various oil booms across the country? Specifically, I wonder how things are looking for the Texas Miracle, which (I believe) was based on a fossil fuel economy.

There's a few articles in the Texas Politics thread but basically it's hitting the smaller companies hardest and there's already been a significant number of layoffs.

Anecdotally I was talking with a girl in my class who interns in Houston and she said that the company she interns at already laid off like 50 people who were making six figures.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

That ball python-looking pattern is so cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

It was Ilah Hickman's (age 14) fifth attempt at official recognition for the salamander, but the Idaho House State Affairs committee voted 10-6 against, many out of fear that official recognition would bring with it increased protections of the salamander from the federal government.

Its hilarious that a 14 year is more adult that Ken Andrus.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 21, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joementum posted:

Those comments are amazing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Venom Snake posted:

What kind of weirdo calls that ugly?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Gravel Gravy posted:

Could the fact that the US upped its oil production possibly reduce the leverage Saudi Arabia has on the US' Iran policies?

It's more complicated than that. Our history with the kingdom goes back quite a ways, and the business ties between the kingdom and our political dynasties and major corporations goes back just as far. The Gulf states (including Saudi Arabia) have largely been the source of money for Sunni extremist groups like what would become the Taliban and ISIS, but that's largely been dealt with quietly if at all due to the business/economic ties. SA buys American military goods and seems to be heavily invested and tied to American companies. SA is basically one regional power of the gulf, while Iran is another (as is Turkey, who seems to be doing some third-way bullshit).

There's also the not-so-secret agreement that Saudi Arabia has with Pakistan to flat out buy nukes from them in the event that Iran produces nuclear weapons. A nuclear-armed Saudi Arabia is flat out much more scary than Iran simply because of the relative instability of the country and their closeness to Sunni extremists.

I'm not sure how Iran's economy suffering due to lower oil prices will help or hinder the ongoing negotiations. On one hand their economy sucks, but on the other nuclear power on it's own is actually worth something economically to them, which is a big part of their nuclear encrichment program. The big question is what happens to Iran's relationship to Russia, since Russia (and therefore the stuff in Ukraine) is a big part of this whole picture wrt Iran's nuclear ambitions and the negotiations, as is the fighting in Syria.

computer parts posted:

There's a few articles in the Texas Politics thread but basically it's hitting the smaller companies hardest and there's already been a significant number of layoffs.

Anecdotally I was talking with a girl in my class who interns in Houston and she said that the company she interns at already laid off like 50 people who were making six figures.

I know I should feel bad about people losing their job, but after years of stupidly high oil prices I'll be laughing hard at all the states who now have hosed economies after the decade+ of gloating. Doubly so since most of them didn't invest their windfalls at all, and instead cut taxes/education. Live by the Free Market, die by the Free Market.

Pervis fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 21, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

comes along bort posted:

It's not really the same tenet of accelerationism in that they don't want to make things worse before they can get better; if anything they'd much rather there not be bad stuff in the first place. It's more social neglect than anything else. White flight wasn't about making urban cores worse, it was escaping a perceived decline in quality of life. The people who moved to the suburbs couldn't have given two shits less what happened to the city in their absence. Same deal with school choice.

There's a word to describe that: selfish.

The Warszawa posted:

That people will allow negative impacts to their communities to attain real or perceived benefits for their children is something policy has to account for, not something that can be expected to change.

Well yeah, but evilweasil was saying it isn't selfish but it is.

SquadronROE posted:

There were a few related articles about that in my paper yesterday, should be floating around any AP website. To sum up: things are shutting down for now and people are trying to hunker down and weather the slowdown.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 21, 2015

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

effectual posted:

That people will allow negative impacts to their communities to attain real or perceived benefits for their children is something policy has to account for, not something that can be expected to change.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

CommieGIR posted:

Its hilarious that a 14 year is more adult that Ken Andrus.
"It's icky, like the federal government." - Ken Andrus, ostensibly an adult.
"I'm disappointed, but I'll try again next year." - Ilah Hickman, an actual 14 year old.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Kalman posted:

The reasons that piercing isn't used to hold corporate executives liable for criminal acts taken by the corporation have literally nothing to do with giving a gently caress or corruption - the doctrine isn't designed for that purpose and is hard to succeed with even with a motivated plaintiff due to the required showings. You also need to show intent and control at a level that means that typically you can just prosecute the executive directly (the exceptions are typically in single shareholder fraud cases.)

Except that evidence often is there but prosecutors are unwilling to act. Look at mining companies, especially Massey Energy, in West Virginia. There was a long record of the company defrauding regulators to dodge safety inspections, falsifying records, etc. But local prosecutors refused to do anything because the company and executives were active in local politics, and the best way to lose an election in that state is to act against those interests. It finally took the death of 29 miners - because 23 deaths in various incidents before that weren't enough - and a federal investigation to get anyone personally charged. This is just a blatant example, but it's pretty much par for the course for powerful industries that involve themselves in local politics.

How is this anything but prosecutorial corruption and/or not giving a gently caress?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

effectual posted:

And to reiterate, it's not the white flight people who are pushing for charter schools: they went to suburbs with good public schools. It's the people left that are.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

:lol: Idaho

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Apparently it's really really widespread.

quote:

The poll found that 50 percent of Israelis were dissatisfied with Netanyahu and just 38% were satisfied – a 17% drop since a poll broadcast Thursday night and a massive drop since his approval rating hit a peak of 82% on July 23 after ground troops entered the Gaza Strip.

Though if the comments on the article are to be believed it's because they are mad that Palestinians still draw breath in Gaza.

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah the most ardent leftist isn't going to sacrifice their own child on the altar of ideology. I mean, a few crazy people will but most people have no problems being hypocrites for the sake of their children.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 21, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Pervis posted:

A nuclear-armed Saudi Arabia is flat out much more scary than Iran simply because of the relative instability of the country and their closeness to Sunni extremists.

Saudi Arabia is unstable? It seems like the country is ruled with an Iron Fist.

SquadronROE posted:

Most of the new production methods require $60/b in order to break even. My bankruptcy lawyer friend in ND looking forward to coming months.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The story also explains that the sponsor of the bill went to the Idaho Attorney General to ask if making it the official state amphibian would bring any increased federal protections and he drafted a memo saying, "No", but the Republicans on the committee were still convinced that Obama was going to fight for equal salamander rights or something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Saudi Arabia is unstable? It seems like the country is ruled with an Iron Fist.

And iron fists tend to make for unstable countries.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

And to reiterate, it's not the white flight people who are pushing for charter schools: they went to suburbs with good public schools. It's the people left that are.

That only shows that the movement to destroy public education is successful. No doubt that vouchers + charters provide an escape for some. However, each advance by that system further weakens the public system. Ultimately you end up with a privatized and tiered education system with no mandate to equitably educate all Americans, that incidentally will be vastly more expensive than universal public primary. It will basically become the US health care system.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

amanasleep posted:

That only shows that the movement to destroy public education is successful. No doubt that vouchers + charters provide an escape for some. However, each advance by that system further weakens the public system. Ultimately you end up with a privatized and tiered education system with no mandate to equitably educate all Americans, that incidentally will be vastly more expensive than universal public primary. It will basically become the US health care system.

If you go back and read the initial discussion my argument is more on that people should understand where the popular support for charter schools comes from and that people here are too quick to dismiss why people might support them. I don't think that charter schools are the answer. I do, however, think that people who are attacking charter school supporters are generally missing why people believe what they do on charter schools and as a result won't ever convince anyone and will not understand how best to advocate for fixing the public school system instead.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Joementum posted:

The story also explains that the sponsor of the bill went to the Idaho Attorney General to ask if making it the official state amphibian would bring any increased federal protections and he drafted a memo saying, "No", but the Republicans on the committee were still convinced that Obama was going to fight for equal salamander rights or something.

It's a slippery slope to same sex salamander weddings.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

If you go back and read the initial discussion my argument is more on that people should understand where the popular support for charter schools comes from and that people here are too quick to dismiss why people might support them. I don't think that charter schools are the answer. I do, however, think that people who are attacking charter school supporters are generally missing why people believe what they do on charter schools and as a result won't ever convince anyone and will not understand how best to advocate for fixing the public school system instead.

I agree that the politics leaves poorer families with school-aged children in the middle with few options and a ticking clock. That is the most insidious part of the politics of school reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

"It's icky, like the federal government." - Ken Andrus, ostensibly an adult.
"I'm disappointed, but I'll try again next year." - Ilah Hickman, an actual 14 year old.

This doesn't shock me - a lot of older Americans are juvenile as gently caress and have incredibly childish views. Most 45-50 year olds I know believe in magic or some kind of supernatural force. Most kids I know in the 10-16 are too busy trying to be a contrived , selfish idea of adult to believe that poo poo.

It's like you start regressing back to the womb the minute you get your wish of becoming an adult.

• Locked thread