Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Where was this published?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Since it seems unlikely that this issue will be the focus of the thread in the near future (unless Jeb runs a campaign based on this premise) have some cartoons protesting against a wall on the US-Mexico border.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Good News, Bad News

So what, one wonders, are an Iranian general and Iranian troops doing on the Golan Heights, on Israel's borders? Hmmmmm?
The news, according to Yahoo News:
Iran general killed with Hezbollah fighters in Israel raid
Beirut (AFP) - "An Israeli strike on Syria killed an Iranian general, Tehran confirmed Monday, as thousands of supporters of Lebanon's Hezbollah gathered to bury one of six fighters killed in the same raid.
The attack on Sunday near Quneitra on the Syrian-controlled side of the Golan Heights enraged Hezbollah's supporters, but analysts said the group would avoid a major escalation with Israel.
Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards confirmed the death of one of their generals in a statement on their website.
"General Mohammad Ali Allahdadi and a number of fighters and Islamic Resistance (Hezbollah) forces were attacked by the Zionist regime's helicopters," it said.
"This brave general and some members of Hezbollah were martyred."
A source close to Hezbollah said six Iranians had been killed in the attack. Hezbollah told AFP that it was not the source of that toll.
Among Hezbollah's dead was Jihad Mughniyeh, the son of an assassinated commander from the group, and Mohammed Issa, a commander responsible for Hezbollah's operations in Syria and Iraq."-more
Labels: Golan Heights, Hezbollah, IDF, Iran, Israel, King Solomon, Syria

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

joeburz posted:

Where was this published?

Chicago Tribune, 8/9/66 - http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1966/08/09/page/14/article/why-must-we-put-up-with-daily-brawls

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

I bet there are a lot yinzers who had their minds blown that they could have killed their livers years ago if they knew about this

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Good News, Bad News

So what, one wonders, are an Iranian general and Iranian troops doing on the Golan Heights, on Israel's borders? Hmmmmm?
The news, according to Yahoo News:
Iran general killed with Hezbollah fighters in Israel raid
Beirut (AFP) - "An Israeli strike on Syria killed an Iranian general, Tehran confirmed Monday, as thousands of supporters of Lebanon's Hezbollah gathered to bury one of six fighters killed in the same raid.
The attack on Sunday near Quneitra on the Syrian-controlled side of the Golan Heights enraged Hezbollah's supporters, but analysts said the group would avoid a major escalation with Israel.
Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards confirmed the death of one of their generals in a statement on their website.
"General Mohammad Ali Allahdadi and a number of fighters and Islamic Resistance (Hezbollah) forces were attacked by the Zionist regime's helicopters," it said.
"This brave general and some members of Hezbollah were martyred."
A source close to Hezbollah said six Iranians had been killed in the attack. Hezbollah told AFP that it was not the source of that toll.
Among Hezbollah's dead was Jihad Mughniyeh, the son of an assassinated commander from the group, and Mohammed Issa, a commander responsible for Hezbollah's operations in Syria and Iraq."-more
Labels: Golan Heights, Hezbollah, IDF, Iran, Israel, King Solomon, Syria

I thought Golan Heights were a demilitarized zone, officially anyway. Wouldn't something like this cause a bigger splash than a pissant Kirschen cartoon?

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

Bonus:

I miss Lefty Loonies. :(

Can't have a politoon thread without this:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Eh, what the heck, have a short selection of swedish political cartoons from Magnus Bard, sorta-resident cartoonist of the most influential Swedish daily newspaper, DN.

These go back to the general election last september:

-"What part of getting fired didn't they understand?"

Context: The Alliance For Sweden, the ruling coalition of right-wing parties makes a catastrophic election and hands over power to a minority Red-Green coalition. They don't act like they lost though.

-"You want to rule as a majority, in second hand as a minority, in third hand...

-"...put sticks in the wheel."

Context: The former ruling coalition makes every effort to obstruct the workings of the new Social Democrat-led government, despite promises before the election to let the largest block rule. Man on bike is the new prime minister, Stefan Löfven. Boy in black and in the back is Jimmie Åkesson, leader of the far-right nationalist Sweden Democrats, that helped to stop the new governments budget from passing in parliament.

-"Oh, the Alliance budget is in effect until the snap elections, then we can keep getting läx-RUT money!

-"The welfare line, I love it!"

Context: As mentioned above, the right-wing parties of the old ruling coalition presented their own budget in opposition to the sitting government. Thanks to the support of the Sweden Democrats, it passed. RUT is a tax-break for "domestic" services, making it cheaper to hire maids, clean your house, clean your pool, hire catering for your children's birthday parties and so on. Läx-RUT is a tax break for hiring private tutors to help your children with homework, and tons of companies have sprung up with the sole business idea of exploiting this tax-break to the max. The government claims that the money can be put to much better use by improving schools in general and hiring more teachers, rather than aiding rich parents in hiring tutors.

The man is making a pun of the phrase "arbetslinjen", or "work line", a phrase used by the old right-wing government to describe tough measures against sick pensioners, the unemployed and other lazy layabouts, combined with tax-breaks for rich people.

-"What misery!"

-"You have to understand: They had such high hopes for more radical environmental policies - before the election results came in."

Context: The Green Party does far worse than expected in the election.

And of course, A Charlie Hebdo cartoon. I have no idea what it's saying.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Why the apples in particular? After all, elks typically eat plant material from the forest, not fruits cultivated by humans.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

Why the apples in particular? After all, elks typically eat plant material from the forest, not fruits cultivated by humans.

Probably the old rural town tales of mooses getting all drunk and rowdy from eating fallen fermented apples in peoples gardens.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I'm the elk jerkin' it in front of the bushes

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gravel Gravy posted:

I thought Golan Heights were a demilitarized zone, officially anyway. Wouldn't something like this cause a bigger splash than a pissant Kirschen cartoon?

You say this like Israel ever suffers international consequences for anything it does.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I see Tinsley is yet another person who has bought in wholesale to the mythological Martin Luther King Jr., the weird, "respectability politics" golem thing that the establishment erected in his memory so that they could erase most of the words he actually spoke and wield his corpse like some kind of weird puppet against black people perceived to be too "angry" or revolutionary. That's really great and awesome and that the grumpy white cartoonist who is very obviously comparing the black community to rodents can tell us what the dead, charismatic civil rights leader would have thought about what role society might have played in his hateful assassination. Nice and wonderful world.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

fool_of_sound posted:

You say this like Israel ever suffers international consequences for anything it does.

I don't actually, hence the word "officially". And especially with how loud the pro-Israel crowd is, an Iranian general assisting militants there I'd imagine that they'd be frothing right now. This is why I asked the question. Are you all caught up now?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Erenthal posted:

And of course, A Charlie Hebdo cartoon. I have no idea what it's saying.

Seems like it's a "nationalists shedding crocodile tears as they plan their retaliation against Muslims" cartoon to me.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

This week's Jeff Boyer:

It's okay.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

:effort:

Incisive commentary here.

TNR is pretty lousy these days, but I like it when Allie gets butthurt over liberal commentators who are smarter than he is. It's what separates him from our usual band of morons. Allie watches MSNBC non-stop, reads Krugman, reads Vox, etc. When his only response is stammering "NO U," time to draw the liberal commentators like big dorks!

Coming from a guy who looks like a 45-year-old balding Ralph Wiggum.

e: Also, come on, the guy's also a fan of the National Review, which gave us this entirely objective, totally not-cheerleady cover:

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 21, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Toronto's Mayor announced kids ride for free on buses.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

bunnyofdoom posted:

Toronto's Mayor announced kids ride for free on buses.

Yeah you gotta hook those kids on public transport while they are young. Then several years later increase the price on it so they are wandering the streets for bus fare and ending up in bus stations they don't remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG8eZovPTDc

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Xander77 posted:

Since it seems unlikely that this issue will be the focus of the thread in the near future (unless Jeb runs a campaign based on this premise) have some cartoons protesting against a wall on the US-Mexico border.

Lots of neat ones in that post but diggin this one especially.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Christ. I hear the same crap today when people complain about #blacklivesmatter protestors. "Jeez, you aren't being civil, you're making your cause look worse! Also, please get out of the road, you're making my morning commute 5 minutes longer"

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah you gotta hook those kids on public transport while they are young. Then several years later increase the price on it so they are wandering the streets for bus fare and ending up in bus stations they don't remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG8eZovPTDc

This guy had to have been inspired by WKUK's Kid Beer sketch. There's no other way.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

QwertyAsher posted:

has miur ever finished anything resembling an arc because I feel like I've been hatereading him for years and it's an endless string of three or four comics leading up to a thing, and then that's totally abandoned.
Muir has completed some arcs in the past. Episodes like the Roosevelts arc and the arc that introduced Blowjob Russian were comedy gold. I feel like, as Muir has gotten more and more detached from reality, he's also lost the ability to stay focused on a storyline.

JT Jag posted:

Yeah you guys are overanalyzing things, replace every mention of Squirrel Appreciation Day with MLK Day and you have Tinsley's unironic opinion.
I brought this up last year, but I think it's worth repeating. Squirrel Appreciation Day is an actual (very obscure) holiday, and considering that Tinsley does do non-political gag strips from time to time, I find it quite plausible that he started doing Squirrel Appreciation Day strips as a silly gag and was too stupid to realize the coincident timing with MLK Day. (Also, he's been doing these strips every year for at least a few years, and the first time he did it Squirrel Appreciation Day was not the same day as MLK Day. It was later, when they did fall on the same day, that people here first got up in arms about it.) Now, I can't say for sure either way, but when there are so many times that Tinsley is definitely an rear end in a top hat I don't think it's necessary to attack him for something where he's only maybe being an rear end in a top hat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that it's about Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and that he's just too oblivious to realize why using "the rodent community" in this context is disgusting to the point where it makes one shiver to actually type it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Vogon Poet posted:

Muir has completed some arcs in the past. Episodes like the Roosevelts arc and the arc that introduced Blowjob Russian were comedy gold. I feel like, as Muir has gotten more and more detached from reality, he's also lost the ability to stay focused on a storyline.

I brought this up last year, but I think it's worth repeating. Squirrel Appreciation Day is an actual (very obscure) holiday, and considering that Tinsley does do non-political gag strips from time to time, I find it quite plausible that he started doing Squirrel Appreciation Day strips as a silly gag and was too stupid to realize the coincident timing with MLK Day. (Also, he's been doing these strips every year for at least a few years, and the first time he did it Squirrel Appreciation Day was not the same day as MLK Day. It was later, when they did fall on the same day, that people here first got up in arms about it.) Now, I can't say for sure either way, but when there are so many times that Tinsley is definitely an rear end in a top hat I don't think it's necessary to attack him for something where he's only maybe being an rear end in a top hat.

Even if it was an accident at first (which I seriously doubt), the way he continues to do it in such an antagonistic fashion is just sheer shitheadedness.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I love that conservative cartoonists are depicting Obama as Robin Hood. A story LOVABLE HERO that "stole" from the CORRUPT RICH to give to the needy.

Here's one more -- or is it William Tell? 7oden is too dumb to know they were different people.

4 :geno:

Not pictured: a bunch of boring "the state of OUR union!" cartoons with elephants and donkeys fighting, etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A day late and about 20 bucks short, Bors.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I have a late addition to make to the Barack Hussein Obama Lame Duck Trolling Wishlist.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

How many cartoons are we gonna see like this?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yes Payne we know Obama gives you PTSD flash backs when he makes people like him because he's an excellent speaker.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

colonel_korn posted:

Here's one more -- or is it William Tell? 7oden is too dumb to know they were different people.

Ok I get what the pants represent but what is the shirt?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Obama, choosing not to shoot and destroy jobs, instead decides to fire his arrows at the current American model for the economy. A good cartoon.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gravel Gravy posted:

Ok I get what the pants represent but what is the shirt?

White people, duh.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I haven't been posting Prick City because it's been boring and dumb, but Allie Stantis whatever is fired up and READY

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

colonel_korn posted:

Not pictured: a bunch of boring "the state of OUR union!" cartoons with elephants and donkeys fighting, etc.

They only need to draw it once, and then it can be reused every year.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stultus Maximus posted:

I haven't been posting Prick City because it's been boring and dumb, but Allie Stantis whatever is fired up and READY

this guy has been unironically championing Jeb Bush, how is Hillary running any different than that. She would only be the second Clinton president.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I still can't get over what a huge idiot Stantis is.

How the gently caress does he do this

And then this with zero self-awareness?

But I do like that he can't even keep his characters straight. One day Conservative Black Girl wants to go to war and cowardly Obama bunny wants to ignore ISIS, the next day ignoring ISIS is the Proper Conservative response but that warlike Obama-bunny wants to attack to distract from domestic issues.

It's like loving Ingsoc with this guy. "We have always opposed Obama's inaction deployment in the Middle East"

Bonus: despite drawing the above strip, he of course blames the Mission Accomplished banner and the surge on Obama-bunny

Bringing up that Mission Accomplished poo poo, what a sick burn on the Democrats, way to go.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I love this cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know it's supposed to be yolk, but something about Harper's eye makes it look to me like he's melting under sprays of molten gold.

• Locked thread